The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane - Part 13

Printer-friendly version

https://pixabay.com/en/cartoon-doodle-sketch-kids-people-10820

The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane – Part 13
By Barbara Lynn Terry

Chapter 1 – The extradition hearing is expedited.

Steve Hastings left the jail. He went out to his squad to resume his patrol.

“463 resuming patrol.”

“10-4, 463.”

Steve patrolled the entire town in less than ten minutes. But, as we sll know, even in small towns things get out of hand, when you least expect it. Steve didn’t have a pattern to his patrols. He would patrol Main street at ten minutes past the hour, and then he would circle back. Two minutes later, he would be back in Main street. He has caught many criminals that way.

Of course, none of these criminals lived in Pine Forest, or the surrounding area. Mostly they were just passing through Pine Forest. It is amazing who you come across during a traffic stop.

“463,” came the call from the dispatcher.

“463,” Steve answered.

“463, there are two officers here from the Detroit, Michigan police department. The have extradition warrants for five of our prisoners.”

“463, I will be right there.”

Greg Olsen and Tony Palmetti heard the call and told the dispatcher they were also coming in. While Steve Hastings was the arresting officer, Greg and Tony were a part if that arrest. In Pine Forest, it takes a village.

In Pine Forest, the police station is also police headquarters and the city jail. The county jail and sheriff’s department was across the street next to the courthouse. In Pine Forest, the police, sheriff and state police all worked together to keep the peace.

Steve, Greg, and Tony all pulled in to the police parking lot almost simultaneously. All three officers went in to the building. They went straight to their captain’s office.

“You wanted to see us, Captain,” Steve asked.

“Yes, Steve, These two officers are fron the Detroit police department. They’re here with extradition warrants for five of our prisoners. They said they hope we can expedite the extradition proceedings quickly.”

“I hope so, too, captain,” Steve said seriously.

It was then that assistant district attorney, William O’Connell entered the captain’s office.

“Officers, this is assistant district attorney, William O’Connell for Addison county. He is handling the extradition.” The taller of the two officers extended his hand and introduced himself.

"Hello Mr. O’Connell. I’m officer Jim Bendix, Detroit police department. This is my partner, officer John Wilson, Detroit police department. We’re here with extradition warrants for Stephen Wilson Hudson, Daniel Edward Cooke, Thomas James McDermott, James Robert Hall, and, Anthony Stephens. The Food and Drug Adminstration would be here, but they got called away at the last minute.” Officer Bendix set the warrants down in front of Mr. O’Connell.

“We have a hearing before the judge at eight o”clock in the morning. This judge doesn’t take kindly to those that terrorize and rob old ladies. Eight o’clock in the morning, branch thirty seven. That is before judge Harold W. Benedict.”

“Thank you, Mr. O’Connell. We will be there. Is there a hotel we can stay the night at?”

“Yes, at the Pine Forest Hotel. It is on fourth and Main streets. They have a spacious parking lot, a six story building, with eighteen rooms on each floor. It doesn’t look big from the outside, but you will be pleasantly surprised at the inside. See you tomorrow, gentlemen.”

Chapter 2 – The extradition hearing before Judge Benedict.

The next morning, the two Detroit officers were up early, so thy could have breakfast. When their orders came, the two officers just talked about things in general; the weather, the décor and service of the restaurant, and a myriad of other things. When they finished their second cup of coffee, they had twenty minutes to get to the courtroom.

The two Detroit officers entered the courthouse and quickly found branch 37 of the Addison county circuit court. They went in and sat down after telling Mr. O’Connell they were there. Steve Hastings, Greg Olsen and Tony Palmetti were there also.

The bailiff saw the door to the judge’s chambers start to open.

“All rise, branch 37 of the Addison county circuit court is now in session. The Honorable Harold W. Benedict, presiding. Silence is commanded, gentlemen, take off your hats.

“I will have the first case,” judge Benedict told his bailiff.

“Case numbers E-768, E-769, E-770, E-771, E-772. Set for extradition.”

I will have appearances for the record,” judge Benedict told the attending attorneys.

“William O’Connell, assistant district attorney for Addison county.”

“J. W. Barker for the defendants.”

“Mr. O’Connell, you may proceed.”

“I call Pine Fprest police officer, Steven Hastings, to the stand.”

Steve was sworn in and he sat in the witness chair.

“Good morning, officer Hastings. Would you please, in your own words, describe what happened on Saturday last?”

“This last weelend, the town was having our first annual town picnic at River Brook park. A silver Mercedes with five men inside, were watching us.”

“Officer do you see those five men in this courtroom now?” Mr. O’Connell asked Steve Hastings.

“Yes, I do. They are seated at that table with Mr. Barker, their attorne
“Let the record reflect that the witness has identified the defendants,” Mr. O’Coennell said, addressing the court.

“Without objection, it is so ordered,” judge Benedict ordered. “You may continue, officer.”

“While the other officers were keeping an eye on the picnic, I was watching the men in the Mercedes. After several minutes went by, the defendants got out of the Mercedes and started walking toward the picnic area. I approached the defendants and asked what they were doing here.

“The defendant, Stephen Wilson Hudson, said they were here for the party. He added that it looked like things were really swinging. I explained that this was a town picnic for the people of Pine Forest. I asked them if they were from Pine Forest, and defendant Hudson, who did all of the ta;ling, said no, that they were just passing through.

“I told all of them that I needed to see some identification. Mr. Hudson said they didn’t have to show us anything, because they had done nothing wrong. I told them that they would have to leave. Mr. Hudson said and I quote, ‘man, you need to learn some manners. Each of the defendants drew pistols from their backs. It was then that officer Greg Olsen of the Pine Forest police department approached the defendants from behind.

“Officer Olsen identified himself as a Pine Forest police officer. When they turned to look at officer Olsen, that gave me time to draw my own weapon. The defendants were disarmed and placed under arrest.”

“Thank you, officer Hastings. Did you take the defendants to jail?”

“No, Mr. O’Connell. Pine Forest police officer, Janet Hastings showed up and told us that a paddy wagon was going to transport the defendants. When the wagon showed up, the defendants were shackled and placed in the wagon for transport.”

“Thank you, officer. No further questions, your honor.”

“Very well. Mr. Barker, do you have any cross?” Judge Benedict asked defense counsel.

“Yes, your honor. Officer Hastings, why were you watching the defendants to begin with?”

“Because it is my job. It was a strange car, and the defendants sat in the vehicle for several minutes.”

“So, what you are saying is, that you watch every strange car.”

“Yes, I do.”

“Officer Hastings,” Mr. Barker continued. “What made you suspicious of my clients?”

“They were in a silver Mercedes, They sat in that vehicle for several minutes. This would arouse the suspicions of every law enforcement officer nation wide.”

“That is all well and fine, officer,” Mr. Barker continued. “Now, may I please get a straight answer?d

“Objection, your honor, badgering the witness. Mr. Barker’s question has been asked and answered.”

“You are correct, Mr O’Connell. Mr. Barker, the objection is sustained. Please move on,” judge Benedict directed defense counsel.

: "I have no further questions.”

Judge Benedict directed the witness to step down.

“Mr. O’Connell, any redirect?”

“Just one more witness, your honor. State calls officer, James Bendix of the Detroit, Michigan police department.

Officer Bendix will be sworn.

Jim Bendix was sworn in and he sat in the witness chair.

“Officer Bendix, why are you here in Pine Forest?”

“We are here, my partner and I, to extradite five convictted felons back to Detroit.”

“Are the becessary papers all made out?”

“Yes, sir, they are.”

“Where are those papers, now?”

“Judge Bemedict has then in front of him at this very moment.”

“Why are these five felons wanted in Detroit, Michigan?”

“They willfully, and with intent and malice, terrorized and burglarized an elderly widows home. That widow is still in the hospital.”

“Move to strike the last part of the answer as non-responsive,” Mr. Barker stated emphatically.

“Motion is denied, objection is over ruled. Mr. Barker, you should know that a police officer has the right to testify about pertinent facts. Is there anything more from either side? Mr. Barker, do the defendants wish to testify?”

“Yes, your honor. Defense calls Stephen Wilson Hudson to the stand.”

Mr. Hudsin was swoen and sat in the wirness chair.

“Mr. Hudson,” Mr. Barker began. “Did you terrorize and burglaeize an elderly widow in Detroit, Michigan?”

“Objection, your honor. The matter of whether they committed the crime or not, is a matter for a Wayne county, Michian jury. Mr. Barker wants to try the matter here, now.”

“Objection sustained. Mr. Barker, do you have any questions relating as to why your clients should not be extradited back to Michigan?”

“No, your honor.”

“Very well. The five extradition warrants before me, are valid. The defendants are hereby ordered extradited to the City of Detroit, Wayne county, Michigan to stand trial for the charges as stated in the extradition warrants. This court is in recess.”

Chapter 3 – Back on Ginger Lane.

Ginger Lane wasn’t all that long, but it was long enough to hold a carnival and block party. The reason was because Mrs. Mae Harkins lived at the end of Ginger Lane. All of the events held in Pine Forest were in her honor. Money collected from these events went to the Mrs. Mae Harkins Memorial Scholarship Fund.

Jimmy Shepard and Jay Simons had just gotten off of the school bus. As they walked down Ginger Lane to their house (the Simons home was still being repaired after their recent fire). So, as the two friends were walking along the Lane, Jimmy Shepard thought that a little rough play would be in order. He did this from time to time, to see if he could help toughen Jay up a little.

Jay seemed to take the rough housing in a positive way. He didn’t complain that what Jimmy was doing was too rough. The two boys got to the Shepard home, and they went in.

Eileen Shepard was in the kitchen peeling potatoes, carrots and onions. They were having roast beef oven stew. That was one of Jimmy’s favorite meals.

“Mom, we’re home,” Jimmy announced coming through the door.

“I’m in the kitchen, dear, getting dinner ready.”

The two boys went in the kitchen. Jimmy got two High C® orange drinks from the refrigerator. He gave one to Jay. The two boys sat at the kichen table. Jay was very interested in how Eileen Shepard prepared the oven stew.

“Mom, I will need your help after dinner. I have to make a drawing of an outside scene. The teacher said something like a park, a street, or maybe just a forest. But, I will draw and I want you to tell me if I am doing it right.”

“I can help you. Jay, do you have a project to do?”

“Yes, Mrs. Shepard. I have to draw some kind of animal. Like, maybe a dog, a cat, a cow, a bird, or maybe an insect, like a spider.”

“Well, a spider is not a true insect. It is an arachnid. But, let’s not spoil your dinner, talking about such things right now.” Eileen Shepard was not concerned about spoiling their dinner as much it would probably spoil hers. After all, boys can talk about some of the grossest things while they eat.

Bulk potatoes take quite a while to boil. Eileen Shepard was only peeling the vegetables. She would put them all in the roaster with the beef. Jimmy Shepard took a carrot and gave one to Jay. They took their carrots to their rooms, so they could start their projects.

Jimmy Shepard had to draw something that looked like an outdoor scene. Artistic ability was not going to be on their grade. The teacher only wanted them to make something

.https://pixabay.com/en/cartoon-doodle-sketch-kids-people-108...

Jimmy’s picture looked like this when he was done. He showed it to Jay, then took it down to the kitchen to show his mother. Jay was working hard on his project, and it turned out like this,*

Jay took his drawing down to show Jimmy’s mom.

“Boys, I am very proud that you did this so quickly and with imagination. Now, put your names in the upper right hand corner, what grade you are in and the class room number. You both did very, very well. Is this all you had to do for school?”

They both said yes at the same time. They went to put their projects in their back packs. Now they were free to play, watch tv, or just walk over to Jay’s house and watch the workmen. Dinner would not be ready until about seven.

John Shepard should be back tomorrow night. Thursday is Thanksgiving and they always watch the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade from New York. It wouldn’t the same without John there.

Jimmy and his sister Kathy just loved parades. Eileen loved all parades, but her favorite was the Tournament of Roses Parade from Pasadena, California, where the super bowl of college football, the Rose Bowl, is located. She loved the different ways the flowers were placed on the floats.

So this Thanksgiving, they were all going to be in front of the tv, watching the Macy’s parade. As Eileen Shepard was thinking about this, John Shepard walked in to the kitchen.

“Hi, love of my life,” he said, with a wide grin.

“You’re home a day early. Oven stew for dinner.” She gave him a very big hug and kiss.

“I caught an early flight. It looks I am just in time to have my chef’s gourmet cooking.”

“Have the boys show you their projects they had to do for school. They should be upstairs in Jimmy’s room.”

“I will get cleaned up, first. Then I will look at their projects. I also talked with the foreman of the crew working on George’s house. It will be a while before it is done.”

“Well, we have the room, and they are more than welcome here.”

“I agree. Let me get cleaned up and see the children.”

Eileen went back to tending to the last part of the preparation for dinner. John went to get cleaned up.

After he was finished washing his hands and face, he went in to Jimmy’s room. Jimmy and Jay were surfing through the net.

“Dad!” Jimmy exclaimed, giving his father a big welcome home hug.

“Your mother says you boys each did a project for school. May I see them?”

Jimmy took his project from his back pack. He showed it to his father.

“This is very good Jimmy. What was your project supposed to be about?”

“I had to an outdoor scene.”

“Well, son, this will do it. It took imagination to do this. I am proud of you. Jay, let me see your project.”

Jay showed John Shepard his project and explained what it was supposed to be about.

“This will do it. I am proud that you have this kind of imagination. Never lose that imagination. You, either, Jimmy. Where’s Kathy?”

“She’s at the McGuires. They’re having a study group.”

“What are they studying?”

“Francine’s dad got a new encyclopaedia. They’re all looking through each book.”

“Kathy’s only seven, what would she understand from a volume of an encyclopaedia?”

“Dad,” Jimmy went to his sister’s defense. “She is smarter than you think. She understands a lot.”

“Well, we will have to get a new set. Ours is ten years old.”

“Yes, dad. I could use a new one for my school things I have to bring home. Like this project. Do you really like these drawings, dad?”

“Yes, I do. They show initiative, imagination and skill for a boy your age. You and Jay have really done good. When Jay’s father gets home from work, show these drawings to him. He will say the same thing your mother and I said.”

“Thanks, dad.”

Thank you, Mr.Shepard,” Jay answered.

“You’re welcome, boys.”

John Shepard went back downstairs to the kitchen.

“They did really good on their projects. I like the imagination they used to create those drawings.”

“Yes, dear, I thought they used wonderful imagination. I told them where to put their name, grade and room number on those drawings.”

Kathy Shepard came in the house.

“Mom, I’m home,” Kathy announced.

“We’re in the kitchen,” Eileen Shepard answered back.

Kathy went in the kitchen. John Shepard was curious about Kathy’s comprehension level. That was because Jimmy had told his father about Kathy and the McGuire sisters looking through the encyclopaedia.

“We were just reading about different countries. How they live, what they send to other countries; the kind of money they use; the popu;ation; …”

“I am sorry to interrupt, dear,” John Shepard stated apologetically. “But, do you know what population means?”

“Yes, daddy. It means the number of people living in that country. Just like here when they take the census to see what the population of the United States is.”

“Are you sure you’re only seven?” John Shepard asked his daughter.

“Yes, daddy, I am only seven years old.”

“Right, seven going on thirty,” John said to every one.

The ladies giggled. Kathy was an avid reader, and she learned quite a bit reading from encyclopaedias, newspapers, and other books that contained articles and other research material. She used some of this information in her school work.

Kathy Shepard had this penchant for wanting to learn. She also loved to play different scholastic games. Her father was amazed that she could comprehend something that would be so difficult for other children her age.

Jimmy Shepard was the same way. Jimmy and Kathy each had their own computers in their rooms. They used those computers for studying about different things.

They would study about what makes an airplane fly, or why doesn’t a ship sink. They would study the different species of birds, including penguins. The Shepard children were no dummies. But, they also didn’t go around using big words when they talked.

If you asked the townspeople why the children of Pine Forest liked to learn on their own, they would say that is because of the widow Mae Harkins. But, Jimmy and Kathy Shepard had this yearning for knowledge, even when they lived in Saginaw.

The widow Mae Harkins always read stories, or told stories to the children of Pine Forest. The children looked forward to hearing these stories. What the widow Harkins would read to the children, or the stories she told them, would send many of the children to the library. But, still, these are children and they loved to play.

Next part, the projects are discussed in class.

up
86 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Another good story

Samantha Heart's picture

I think the felons just had a rude awaking these Detroit police officers areally not the kind to mess around nor are they on the crooks payroll no chance of them getting out of this one.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Used to love watching the

Used to love watching the faces of "crooks" who thought they would get away with their mis-deeds in certain courts. Especially loved it when the scheduled judge was not the one who came into the courtroom. We did have a few "hanging" judges, which meant they were most definitely going to follow the exact letter of the law and the rules applied to those laws.
Does a heart good to see real justice meted out on occasions; knowing full well that no type of influence was going to work or be tried to get a person off from their "rewards" in court.