Wrong Number Part 2

Printer-friendly version

WRONG NUMBER
PART 2: The Mall

The big day had finally arrived. I checked my outfit in the mirror. I looked very nice in the floral shirt and denim skirt. I had managed to run my hair through my straightening iron to make it look extra-special. I had done my makeup beautifully. I had decided I wanted to look as good as possible so that I could blend in with the crowd if need be. I felt good enough about my appearance but I stood before my mirror, looking myself in the eyes and trying to figure out what in the hell I was thinking.

Keri dressed herself in a lavender corduroy skirt and a matching, long-sleeve cotton top. She had debated herself over whether to wear hose. Pantyhose would be too alluring if I did turn out to be a psycho. Ironically, going bare-legged posed the same problem: there would be too much skin exposed and this would only draw a pervert all the more. She decided she’d better wear a pair of opaque tights. She picked out a pair of white ones and slipped them on. She stood before her mirror and tried to think of what she would say when she met this stranger named Kelly.

* * * * *

I arrived at the food court and began looking for a girl who would be doing exactly what I was. I didn’t see anyone who matched that description, but then I was two minutes early, according to a glance at my watch. For a second or two, I stood at the edge of the eating area in the middle of the food court, wondering what I should do. Should I stand, to make it easier for her to find me? Should I grab a table, so that we could both sit down? Keri might feel more comfortable with a table between us, at least at first. I decided to choose a table in the middle of the dining area. I knew that I was tired from lack of sleep and Keri might very well be in similar condition. I turned toward a table big enough for four people in the center of the eating area.

Just after I turned my back on the way I came in, Keri and Chloe arrived and began to search for me. Keri pointed out the girl sitting down alone at the table in the middle.

“Chloe, look toward the middle! I see a floral shirt. Do you think that's Kelly?”
“Oh, yeah. I saw a denim skirt and Mary Janes before she sat down. I think you’re right, I think that’s him. Nobody else is wearing a floral shirt, thank God for small favors.”
“Wow, if that’s him, he looks… beautiful. Are we sure that's a boy dressed as a girl? I could swear I'm looking at a girl.”
“I have to admit he does look great for a girl like him. Okay, are you ready to walk up to him yet?”
“Let’s just look for a few more seconds.”
“Okay.”

I sat down, sweeping my skirt out from under me, and crossed my legs. I resumed searching for a girl who would probably look more nervous than anyone else. My eyes focused on a girl standing near a plant. She was looking right at me, she was clearly very nervous —- and she wasn’t alone! She was absolutely beautiful. She had wavy, sandy blond hair that graced her shoulders. She had large, round, gorgeous blue eyes. Nah, she’s too beautiful. It couldn’t be. In your dreams, Kelly. Move along! My eyes hesitated a few more seconds, reluctant to interrupt their sumptuous feast, and I resumed scanning the area. Perhaps half a minute later, I heard someone address me.

“E-excuse me. A-are you Kelly?”

I knew that voice! I would know it anywhere —- and it was coming from the very same beautiful girl I’d spotted near the plant! She was standing right there in front of me! I couldn’t believe it! I had dreamed about being with someone so beautiful, like everyone else, but I would never have believed that it could happen.

My mouth opened a bit and I had to catch myself from letting it hit the floor. I had to fight to maintain my composure as I rose very slowly, staring at this heavenly girl, absolutely dumbfounded. Come on now, Kelly, think this through. She’s probably just a go-between because Keri’s so nervous about this. I’m sure Keri’s probably pretty, but she just cannot be this beautiful, so control yourself. Keri and I were both trembling with nerve and I struggled to say something. At first, all I could manage was a nod of my head as my hands held each other.

“K-Keri?”

Yeah. You wish. There’s NO WAY!

“Y-yes, I’m Keri.”

My legs wanted to collapse out from under me and I grabbed the table with one hand to steady myself. You’re doing okay, Kelly, but remember that she might just be pretending –- no, fuck that. Keri would not send in a gorgeous girl like this to take her place if she was afraid I was some pervert. That makes no sense. Oh? Do you really know Keri well enough to be sure?

Chloe, the clearest-headed one of us at the moment, stepped in to assist us.

“Hi, Kelly. My name is Chloe and I’m a good friend of Keri’s. She asked me to come for safety reasons. I hope you don't mind.”
“Oh, um, th-that’s n-no problem at all. I-I think that’s a s-smart idea, actually.”
“Well, I’m glad that’s going to work out all right. Kelly, you seem a bit doubtful about something. If I’m anywhere near the mark, this really is Keri. There’s no pretense here.”

I was still having trouble believing it. It was just too good to be true —- wildly too good to be true!

“Wow. I-I’m sorry, Keri. It’s just… I-I would never have believed that… that I…” I dropped my eyes sheepishly. “W-wait, let me start over. I’m m-making a fool of myself here. It just seems far too good to be true.”

An uncertain smile appeared on Keri’s face.

“I think I know what you’re trying to say. Thanks, I guess.”
“You’re very welcome.”
“I know what you mean. Also, um…” She hesitated a moment. “You look like a girl and not like…” She stopped herself. “…anything else.”

Her smile broadened enough for me to notice it. My hand was still on the table and I glanced at it as I realized that I should probably offer these two girls a place to sit down.

“Oh, um, I have a table here… would you like to sit down?”
“Yes, I would like to. Thanks.”
“You’re welcome.”

We gingerly sat down around the table, Keri directly across from me and Chloe to one side. The place was plenty crowded, and it felt safe enough to be there. Still, maybe I should ask.

“Does this place feel safe enough to you?”

Keri nodded her head.

“Yes, I feel okay here. Thank you for asking.”

Keri’s intuition was telling her that I was for real —- or at least it was trying to.

“It’s no problem.” Okay, I want to start talking to this girl now. “Well, Keri, it’s really nice to see you in person. I um…” I momentarily looked at my hands before returning my gaze to Keri’s eyes. “I really enjoyed talking with you the other night. I’m glad I got the chance.”

Keri’s smile was gradually broadening.

“I really enjoyed that, too. I’m really glad you fucked up the number you were calling,” she broke the ice.

We all laughed out loud. Keri and I kept laughing after Chloe stopped. We were probably venting nervous energy. I looked back at Keri’s eyes and had to work a bit not to get lost in them to the point of spacing out.

“Anyway, um, I know that… well, I know that we still don’t know each other from dog shit,” we laughed again, “but, um, I wish there was a way to… well, prove that I am what I claim to be.”
“I know what you mean. I can’t give you my word, since you don’t know me from dog shit, and it can’t work that way, at least not yet.”
“Right, that’s just what I mean. I-I have this stupid feeling like we’re playing some kind of a Chess game or something--” Wait, I can prove part of it, at least. “Well, I can prove…” I glanced around while I cleared my throat. “I can prove the secret I told you over the phone,” I said quietly in my natural voice.

Keri seemed a bit surprised at the change in its pitch, but she seemed somewhat reassured. I had at least proven that I was a boy dressed as a girl.

“Okay,” she nodded, “I now know that part is absolutely true. This is good. You look really good, I have to say.”

I blushed at her compliment.

“Thank you, Keri. It’s good to hear that. This is actually the first time I’ve ever left the house dressed like this, so… it’s really good to hear that. Anyway, you look wonderful yourself.”
“Thank you. This is really your first time?” I nodded my head. “You did that for me?”
“Yes. I was hoping it would help you feel more comfortable. I have wanted to be myself in public for a long time and I guess this helped me find the courage to do it.”

Keri smiled sweetly at me. We both desperately wanted to find some way to verify each other and start having fun, but how?

“Kelly, I need to use the ladies’ room but I will be back… soon.”

I worried that it might not really be the ladies’ room she was headed for… so much as the nearest exit.

“Okay. Please do whatever you need to. I will be here.”

I watched, entranced, as Keri and Chloe rounded a corner to the left, toward the main entrance, and disappeared from view. After a few seconds of staring at the corder she'd rounded, waiting for her to come back, I remembered that I promised to call Sarah and let her know I was okay. I got my cellphone out of my purse and dialed her number.

"Hi Sarah, it's me calling to let you know I'm safe. Fortunately, she's in the bathroom -- otherwise I don't know how I would have gotten the chance."

"Kelly, I'm really glad you called. I know you're not late yet, but I was still worried. How's it going?"

"Great so far. She showed up with a friend and they're for real, Sarah. She was as nervous about meeting me as I was meeting her."

"Excellent!"

* * * * *

While they walked, Keri explained her idea to Chloe.

“That’s pretty clever, if it works.”
“Thanks, Chloe.”

Hell, I don’t think I need to do this. I think I trust Kelly. He just seems so… vulnerable. If he were a pervert he would probably be far more confident.

They approached the attendant of a small booth in the center of the corridor, just out of view from the food court.

“Excuse me.”

The attendant turned to Keri.

“Did you happen to see a girl come through here wearing a floral shirt and a denim skirt with shoulder-length brown hair?”

The attendant thought for a minute until a glint of recognition appeared in her eyes.

“Yes, I think I know the one you’re talking about. Why do you ask?”
“I just met her today. She’s a total stranger, actually. It’s kind of a blind date and I just wanted to try to verify that she’s legit. Did you happen to notice if she came in with anyone?”

The attendant thought for another moment.

“Hmmm. She was definitely alone.”
“Okay, good. Did she look like she was checking if anyone was falling behind or anything?”
“Oh, I think she was looking for someone, as though she was planning on meeting someone here, but I doubt that she was thinking of anything or anyone else. I guess she might have a companion who’s wondering around shopping that she’s reconnoitering with later, but she seemed to be completely oblivious to everything around her. I give it about a 99% chance that she came alone.”
“Good. Thanks for your help!”
“You’re welcome. You’re probably very wise to check it out. You can’t be too careful.”
“You got that right. Thanks again!”
“Okay. Have fun!”

The girls turned back toward the food court. I was still sitting there, looking very nervous, and very much unaccompanied. Keri couldn’t help smiling and I was powerless to resist reciprocating her.

“What do you think, Chloe? Is Kelly for real?”
“I’m really starting to think so. I haven’t seen anything suspicious.”
“Me either. He looks so sweet and vulnerable. A psycho predator would look a lot more confident, don't you think?”
“I’m guessing you’re right about that.”

* * * * *

The girls rounded the corner and headed toward me.

"Sarah, they're coming back. I should go."

"What does she look like?"

"Buh-bye!"

I hung up my phone and as the girls returned at the table, I stood again. The smile on my face must have looked completely goofy. We sat down again and Keri made a small confession.

“I want to be honest with you, Kelly. I wasn’t really in the bathroom. I was talking to one of those vendors in the corridor over there. Specifically, I was asking if she saw you come in with anyone. Apparently, you looked completely like you came alone.”
“That was a very smart move, Keri. Well done! I don’t mind at all. I did come alone. All of my friends are busy.”

I realized I was still holding my cellphone.

"Oh, I did just call a friend to report that I'm safe, though."

She smiled at me. Just as I began to get lost in her eyes again, I remembered that I had my state ID in my purse. I started giggling. Keri was curious.

“What are you laughing at?”
“I just remembered that I do have a state ID card right here in my bag. I guess I’m just feeling a bit mind fucked again.”

We all chuckled at my antics. I picked up my purse and began to fish for my wallet. Keri put her hand gently on mine, stopping me. The feeling so electrified me that I froze, just staring at her hand as another goofy smile commandeered my face.

“I don’t need to see it. But thank you.”

I put down my purse, took her hand in mine and looked up at her.

“I don’t need you to prove yourself anymore either.”

Keri and I had successfully conquered our fears —- but not our nerves. We were still in the company of persons we were very attracted to. Only a fraud wouldn’t feel nervous at such a time. We began sharing more information about each other and filling in blanks. We were both born and raised in the town where we lived. We had plenty of interests in common and enjoyed much of the same music. We discussed our families and the majors we were considering for college. Naturally, we both gravitated toward music. Our conversation wound down and we fell silent for a moment. Then something occurred to me that I found ironic and interesting.

“Hey, Keri, this whole time I’ve been… well, still amazed that this is not turning out too good to be true and…” I began to blush as I continued, looking down at my hands. “Well, when I first saw you, I just thought there’s no way you were Keri. I thought you couldn't be so beautiful. I thought there was no way. You know, ‘you wish’, ‘dream on, lover girl’, and all of that. Anyway, um…” I paused to catch my breath and look up at Keri. “It just seems like… it’s human nature to think that we will never receive truly good fortune, that we will lose out. I wonder why that is. Do we feel unworthy of such good fortune? Is it just too hard to believe that truly good fortune actually exists? I wonder what it is. It just seems like we’re all really hard on ourselves.”

Keri maintained steady eye contact. She took my hands across the table and warmly held them.

“Hmm. That is a very interesting point and I would love to know the answer. I’ve also been trying to rid myself of the feeling that this is too good to be true —- because it does feel that way —- and I know just what you mean. When I saw you, I pointed you out to Chloe and actually asked her if she thought we were looking at you even though you’re the only girl here wearing a floral shirt. I had the same thoughts you did, really. ‘No way, she’s way too pretty.’ ‘There isn’t a chance in hell.’ Actually I also thought you looked too much like a girl to be Kelly. That’s really fascinating that we both felt that way and thought the same things about each other. I think you’re right. People really do tend to be very pessimistic. Maybe it’s because it’s so easy to feel so powerless to affect your own life and change its course. Maybe it’s because we grow up learning time and time again that we can’t always have what we want and we get sort of beaten into a kind of hopelessness. But, somehow, our perceptions get distorted and we start thinking that we’ll never get what we want.”
“Yeah.” I gently stroked her hands with my thumbs. “I think it’s also true that even healthy humility can get in the way. I mean, think about it. Having humility means acknowledging that there is always going to be somebody better or more experienced than you are. A lot of the reason I took one look at you and thought there was no chance was that, well…” I looked sheepishly at our hands. “I’m not as experienced with romance as I would like to be and I swear to God, every time I decide that I like a girl there is always someone more experienced who steps in and that’s that. So, romantically, I always feel about as secure as an igloo in Florida.”

We laughed.

“I know the feeling.”

I gawked at her.

“You —- really, you do? I have to say I’m very surprised.”

Keri blushed and briefly looked down before resuming her eye contact.

“Thank you.”
“You know I think there’s this perception that all beautiful people must surely have had loads of partners, because after all, who could resist? Those ideas are probably wrong a lot of the time. Still, there is a definite speculation that we’ll never be the lucky ones and that someone else is always going to win. Then, of course…” I paused for a moment as I studied our hands. “There are those like me who start out at a social disadvantage--”
“Except for when they’re with girls like me. Then they have definite the edge over the others.”

That just about does it. I’m in love! I smiled brightly at Keri for a few moments.

“Thank you for saying that. It felt really good to hear it.” I paused. “You know, there’s another part of it right there. We tend to think that we’re at a disadvantage when we don’t really know that and sometimes we actually do have the advantage--”
“–and we don’t even know it.”
“Yeah, we get so caught up in all of this, this, this total bullshit that wreaks havoc on our sense of optimism.”

Chloe, who had been silent for a good while as she watched us bloom at each other, finally spoke. We had been sitting in the middle of a food court, steeped in the aromas from all of the cooking going on around us. It was finally getting to Chloe.

“Hey, you two, I’m sorry to interrupt, but are you getting hungry? I’m starving!”

As soon as she said it, my own hunger burst to the foreground of my consciousness.

“God, I am very hungry, too. How about you, Keri?”
“Yeah, I’m really hungry. Let’s get something to eat.”
“You two go up first. We’ll take turns.”
“Oh, good call. That way we keep our table, right?”
“Gee, Keri, you’re smart,” Chloe mocked.

Keri and I rose to take our turn getting a late lunch. As we were chatting about what we wanted to eat, I looked down and notice that we were holding hands. I began giggling and smiled at Keri. She saw what I was tittering at and snickered, too. I’m sure I had the most ridiculous smile on my face. But then, so did Keri.

* * * * *

After Chloe returned with her lunch, we began chatting again, this time with Chloe participating rather than observing. When we finished eating and our conversation trailed off, Keri reluctantly dragged her eyes to her watch. She sighed with resignation.

“Well, I hate to say it, Kelly, but unfortunately I have to go. I’m due at a music rehearsal with my band, and I am severely tempted to blow it off, but it wouldn’t be fair to them.”
“Hmm, you’re right, you’d better go then. I hate to see you go.”
“I hate to go.”

We gave each other nostalgic smiles.

“Well, Keri, let’s exchange contact information.”
“Yeah, the problem with fucking up a phone number is that you never remember exactly how you fucked it up.”

We laughed.

“Yeah, right?”

Keri and I happily exchanged information —- and found out we could have gone to a mall about five miles closer to both of our homes. We laughed about the silly twist of fate as we threw out our trash and bussed the trays. We walked out of the mall together and stopped at Chloe’s car.

“Well, I guess this is as far as I go.”
“Well, did you drive? If not, hop in.”

Again, I got a goofy smile on my face. I had taken the bus! I climbed into the back seat with Keri, leaving Chloe alone up front.

“Where to, ladies?”

I gave her my address and we left the mall. Twenty minutes later, we sat in front of my house.

“Well, Keri, it was really, really good to meet you. I never thought I could possibly be this glad about screwing up.”

We laughed out loud.

“Yeah, it was awesome meeting you, too, Kelly.”

We embraced each other warmly. I went to let go —- but she didn’t. I resumed hugging her, in no rush to stop. Finally, we did pull back, but we held onto each other.

“I know I need to let you go, Keri, but…” I swallowed. “I want to give you something before I go. I hope it’s not inappropriate since we just met, after all, but… I can’t resist.”
“Okay. What is it?”

She had a pretty good idea what it was and she was absolutely right. I answered her by kissing her squarely on the lips. What a kiss that was! How can I describe something like that? I think the answer is that I can’t. What I can say, is that the kiss must have lasted quite a while, because Chloe looked at her watch and politely cleared her throat. When we ignored her, she spoke up.

“Eh, Keri? I hate to break up your wonderful kiss that I don’t envy at all, really I don’t, but um…” She laughed. “You really are running late, sweetie.”

She had us laughing too, and it ended the kiss that came direct from Heaven.

“Okay, I guess I have to let you go now. I will call you, of course. Like tonight.” We giggled. “And I’ll try not to fuck up your number.”

We laughed again and I began to get out of the car.

“Kelly, wait.”
“Yes?”

I sat down again on the back seat and looked back at Keri. She grabbed me and returned my kiss. Chloe rolled her eyes and smirked.

“Oh, Jesus! You two belong in a B-rate romantic movie.”

Yet again she ended our kiss.

“Excuse me? B-rate me, will you!”

Keri’s pun did its thing and she had us laughing again.

“You know, Keri, we really need to get together without Kissus Interruptus over here,” I pointed at Chloe with my thumb.
“Oh, that’s cold,” Chloe retorted. “All right, Keri. We’re out of here! Buckle up, babe!”
“It was nice to meet you, Chloe —- thanks for the ride.”
“Nice to meet you, too, Kelly. You’re welcome —- if you get out right now.”

We laughed.

“Bye, Keri. I’ll call you later.”
“Bye. If you don’t, I call you!”

We gave each other one last wonderful hug and I stepped out of Chloe’s car. I stood at the curb and waved as I watched Chloe’s car disappear around a bend. I let out a very pleasant sigh, turned around, and walked into my house.

TO BE CONTINUED! NEXT IS PART 3: SECOND DATE

[ Other Stories By Mona Lisa ]

up
83 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I've heard of ask and you shall receive, but this is ridiculous!

all I can add to what I said about part one is, MORE, MORE, MORE!!!!! What a wonderful fantasy in story form. Sigh. If only!

huggles from
Catherine Linda Michel

As a T-woman, I do have a Y chromosome... it's just in cursive, pink script. Y_0.jpg

Wondering

Nice story so far, but I found a few "strange" things:

1) The lead persons are supposed to be 14 and 15 years old. So where do cars and driver licenses come from ? As far as I know you need to be at least 18 to drive in most of Europe and 16 in most of America.

2) Isn't Kelly supposed to call Sarah to tell her (s)he's not kidnapped ?

Hugs,

Kimby

Hugs,

Kimby

Oops! Simple mistakes

Hi Kimby

1) I was going to change the driver's license to a school id and I forgot -- until now.
2) Yes, he certainly was. Another overlooked detail.

Thank you for pointing them out so I can now fix them!

Hugs,
Lisa

That...

...was a really cute scene. ^___^ Thank you!

-Liz

Successor to the LToC
Formerly known as "momonoimoto"