Because I care: part 2

Printer-friendly version

Two weeks flew by since I came back to Hattiesburg. It’s also been two weeks since I last saw Charlie. I can’t get him off my mind. He reminds me of me when I was his age. I really hope he isn’t like me, but it seems like he is. Getting bullied just because he’s smaller and weaker. Because he isn’t well off as other people. Just thinking about the little guy being beaten because of what he can’t control, makes me furious.

For two weeks, I’ve been spending a lot of time cleaning Brandy’s home along with taking care of the children as Brandy has to work and Erika doesn’t have the same ability anymore. James really warmed up to me. He talks to me about a lot of stuff. James is very imaginative. The more I talk to him, the more I learn just how imaginative he is. We mostly talk through doing chores. Jessie talks to me too, but she has a lot of friends she hangs out with instead. I also asked him more about Charlie. He just gave me what he told me two weeks ago.

Ten minutes into my morning jog and I see a poster. The poster says, ‘Help wanted: Not enough teachers at the local middle school due to an investigation on the former principal and faculty. Please see or call the school at (717)555-555’

“Jeez, how much could you possibly fuck up? Maybe I’ll go see what’s this about. I need something to kill time.” I muse. I tore off the poster and head back home.

When I get home, I took a shower and did other hygiene. Then made myself some tea and called the number.

The phone clicks and I hear an electronic, “Hello?”

“Hello? I’m Brent Blue, and I was hoping to ask if I could substitute.”

“Oh my god, you have saved me, Mr. Blue. I’m Mr. Philips, the current principal in charge of Hattiesburg middle. Only some people have answered this call. Come by the middle school, we’ll get you sorted.” The phone clicks before I could even answer. Not like I had anything to say, but it’s a bit rude not to say goodbye.

When I get to the middle school. I go into the entrance and to the office. There was a middle age secretary sitting there furiously doing paperwork.

“Um, hello?” I greet the secretary.

She looks up for a moment and says, “What are you doing here? Get back to the high school.”

I sigh, “I’m Mr. Blue.”

“Yeah right. You’re young enough to be my child. Where is your proof?”

I pull out my ID and show it to her. Her face went white.

I sigh again, “Where is Mr. Philips?”

She points to the hall behind her and squeaks, “Down that hall and the door on the left.”

I walk to that door and knock. I hear a “come in” and open the door. Mr. Philips sounds exactly like how he did on the phone. Black and wears a nice suit.

“I suppose you must be Mr. Blue. I don’t exactly like to employ kids.”

“Good thing I’m not a kid.” I sit down.

“How old are you?”

“Thirty this year. My birthday was 3 months ago, in November.”

“Wow, you look as young as sixteen.”

“I know, when I did real estate no one took me seriously until I showed them what I’m capable of. Now, I’m retired and looking to settle, so I came back home.”

“Retired at thirty? How?”

“Well, I’ll be frank. I’m a multimillionaire and my projected gross income will put me as a billionaire in ten years if everything goes smoothly. I came back here because I don’t have anything else to do. I also need to tell you that I’m not interested in money.”

“Back? Meaning this is your hometown? Thanks, we are really tight right now.”

“Yes, I left after my father was murdered. Remember Frank Blue?”

“Not personally, but I’ve heard about the murder. I’m sorry it ended that way.”

“It’s weird, I thought I hated this city, but a decade later I came right back. Homesick, I guess.”

“Well, let’s get this interview on the way. Being that you are a multimillionaire. You much know a lot about accounting and dealing with money in general.”

“Yeah, for the most part.”

“It’s too bad that all the math classes were taken. What about 6th-grade science? How much do you know about science?”

“Well, it was my highest grade in school when I was here.”

“Good, do you think you can do it?”

“No doubt.”

“You can start tomorrow as today is a Saturday.”

“Thank you, Mr. Philips.” I get up to shake his hand.

“No, thank you, Mr. Blue.” He shakes my hand firmly.

The next day, I was in my classroom. The classroom walls were devoid of life. They were just blank and bland. I’m definitely going to spend some money on this.

The students loudly walk in. Chatting and yelling at each other. James and Jessie come in my class and notices me.

They quickly run up to me and hug me. “What are you doing here?” They both ask me.

“Well the school needed help and I had nothing to do. I thought I would get my lazy bones off the couch and do something.” James and Jessie giggles at that. The students are all staring at me. “Take a seat, you two. The class is about to begin.” They both nod and walk to their seats. The bell finally rings and I walk in front of the class. “Good morning class, I’m Mr. Blue. I’ll be your substitute teacher starting today.”

A girl snarks, “You surely don’t look like a teacher.”

“Good, because I’m not. I’m the guy who’s going to help you learn rather than teach.”

“You look like you are in high school.” A boy points out.

“I know, sometimes I think I’m immortal.” The kids giggle at that. “I’ll start class after I take role.” I pick up a clipboard and start listening off the name. It wasn’t long until I called out, “Charlie Davis?” The classroom went silent. “Charlie Davis,” I call out again. “I guess he’s---“ I was interrupted by the door opening and Charlie shuffling through with his head in a downcast. He walks to an empty seat sits down and lays his head down. “Nice timing, Charlie. You came in when I was about to go to the next name.” Charlie says nothing. I sigh and continue my role call. When I was done, I ask the class enthusiastically, “Alright class, you ready to learn?”

“No.” groans the class.

“Well, today we aren’t learning about science. Today we are learning about each other.”

“Each other?” A girl says.

“Yes, each other. I’ve been gone for a long time, and I just came back to this city. I barely know anyone besides Jessie and James there” I point to both the twins. The class giggles. “We’ll go in alphabetic order. We have only an hour, so please be quick.” A few students later and it’s Charlie’s term. “So, Charlie, tell us about yourself.” I walk over to his desk

“Pass.” He softly says.

“Come on Charlie.” A girl says, “Everyone else is doing it.”

“Yeah Charlie.” A boy says. Charlie sits up and stares me right in the eyes. I didn’t notice before, but they were so, well green. A beautiful emerald that seems dull and dead. His face stays expressionless.

“I said, I pass.” His voice uses is monotoned.

“I can’t force you Charlie, but stay for break.”

“Oooooooo!” says the class collectively. We carry on with the class until the bell rings. The class dismissed. Jessie and James gave me hugs and continued. Everyone left, but Charlie. I close the door and pulled up a chair in front of his desk.

“So, Charlie, what’s your problem?”

“Nothing.”

“You sure it’s nothing?”

Charlie pauses and thinks for a second, “Why should you care about my life?”

I inhale and exhale then sigh, “Want me to tell you the truth?”

“Sure, knock yourself out.”

“I look at me when I look at you.”

“I’m not you though.”

“I know, but I was bullied and beaten. I know how it feels to lose a parent too. Especially as abruptly as you have.”

Charlie gets up and shouts, “WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT BEING BEATEN AND STARVED BY PEOPLE WHO IS SUPPOSE TO PROTECT YOU? HUH?” Charlie starts to walk fast, but I catch him and pull him into an embrace.

I look into Charlie’s beautiful emerald eyes and say, “Nothing, I just want to protect you.” Tears start rolling down Charlie’s face. “Ever since I met you, I couldn’t get you off my mind.” I pause, “I don’t know you very well, and you don’t know me, but I feel as if I’m connected to you in some way.”

“Why?” Charlie sobs.

“Because I care.” Charlie wails on my shoulder. I pick him up and walk to the principal’s office. If what he said is true, then I must get him out of whatever home he lives in.

As I walk through the hall, everyone is staring at me. Charlie fell asleep and is still in my arms. I get to the principal’s office and knock on the door.

“Please come in.” I open it and walk in and sit down. “Mr. Blue, why are you holding Mr. Davis and not teaching class?”

“Because I couldn’t just leave him in the classroom,” I told Mr. Philips all about what happened during the break. “So, what are you asking out of me?”

“First, I need you to call a social worker. Second, I need someone to keep an eye on Charlie. Finally, third, please help me. I don’t know why I care about Charlie this much, but I do, and I want to do everything to help him. I’ll do anything to help him.”

“Alright, alright. I get it. Leave him in the nurse’s office. She’s there all the time. We’ll handle everything after school.

“Thank you! I would give you a hug, but I don’t want to wake up Charlie.”

Classes went on as normal. Every chance I could get. I would go and check on Charlie. He’s so cute when he sleeps. Not like I would admit that to anyone, but it’s the truth. At the end of the day, a social worker was called along with the police.

I stand by Charlie who is finally waking up after sleeping through classes all day.

“Hi, Charlie.”

He smiles a little and softly says, “Hi Mr. Blue.”

“How was your sleep.”

“He rubs his eyes and yawns, “The best I’ve had in a while.”

“That’s great. We have police here and a social worker.” Charlie’s face goes white. “Don’t worry, they just need your statement.” He sighs with relief. “Do you have any scars are wounds?”

He mumbles a barely audible, “Yes.”

“Can you show me?” He lifts his shirt up slowly. On his body are scars. Tons of scars. Old and new. Some are cigarette burns, some are knife wounds, and some of them are blunt wounds. I gasp as I feel a fury storm inside me. How dare they hurt this child. How dare they even touch him. It’s on, I’m out for blood. I start shaking angrily. Charlie notices this and pulls his shirt down. I snap out of my enraged sight as I see Charlie’s face visibly afraid. “Sorry about that, whoever did this to you is going to pay.” Charlie nods and hugs me tight.

“Thank you.” He soft told me. I could feel a warm wetness where his eyes are. I return the hug and rug his back.

Someone coughs to get our attention. I turn still holding Charlie to find two men and a woman in suits. “We don’t mean to interrupt, but we need to get down to business.” Said the woman.

“Alright,” I look at Charlie. “Are you ready?” Charlie just nods. I look back at the woman “We’re ready.”

“follow us.” We follow them to a room in the school.

“I’m detective Halsy.” One of the men in suits says. He gestures to his partner, “This is detective Garrett. We are from the HPD” Halsey shakes my hand. Garrett does the same.

“I’m Janet Kwon. Social services.” She shakes my hand and crouches down to Charlie that is behind me trying to hide holding my arm. “I was told that your foster parents abuse you. Is that true?” Charlie nods as he holds my arm tighter. “Can you show me?” Charlie looks to me. I nod giving him approval. He lets go of my arm and pulls up his shirt. Everyone in the room gasps at the scares and damages.

“Mind if we take pictures?” Halsey says as Garret pulls out a camera. Charlie just nods.

The detective was taking pictures as Janet says, “How long have they been doing this to you?”

“Ever since I got there. At first, it was light, then it became rougher. They always hid them.”

“Sit down, I think we need the whole story.” She gestures to a chair. Charlie sits down and I stand behind him.

“We are going to record this if you don’t mind,” Halsey says.

“I don’t mind,” I say and Charlie just nods.

“Now tell us everything.” Janet softly says.

First, Charlie started talking about his physical abuse. What they used to give him all of those scars. Then, the emotional abuse. It was even worse than the physical. They don’t even call Charlie by his name anymore. When they do it, it’s only with the social services. Charlie had to stop a few times and cry. I was there to be a shoulder.

“Did they touch you anywhere?”

“What do you mean?” Charlie says softly.

“Did they touch your privates.” Charlie didn’t say a word. He just froze. Like time had stop for him.

“Charlie?” I call to him. I wave a hand over his face to get his attention. Nothing. I turn his seat around and look into his beautiful emerald eyes. “Charlie?”

Charlie takes a deep breath and moved his long hair out of his face showing both his beautiful emerald orbs and the rest of his face. “Charlie is not here right now. Please leave a message after the beep.” He giggles a little, “I’m Carmilla. Charlie’s counterpart.” Her voice is filled with confidence with a British accent.

“What do you mean?”

“I mean, silly. I am her second personality when lil’Charlie goes catatonic.”

“So multiple personality syndromes?” I ask.

“Bingo, love.” Carmilla gives me a kiss on the cheek.

“What was that for.”

“For helping Charlie, of course. Lil’Charlie has been through a lot. I was made from her own trauma.”

“Wait, you used the pronoun ‘her’. What do you mean?”

Her tone turns serious, “That is to figure out later. For now, we have tasks that must be completed.” Carmilla turns her chair back to the three other people in the room. “I am Carmilla. The second personality of Charlie. Charlie could not handle the last question you gave him. It sent him catatonic bringing lovely me out.” She crosses her legs and arms femininely.

“Alright?” Janet confused.

“I know it is confusing, but I am here to help lil’Charlie out of that disgusting hole.” Janet composes herself and nods. The two cops are still baffled. “When I was created. He was ganged up by a group of men his foster father had over.”

Carmilla explained in detail what happens to Charlie. My fury began that began as a storm has become a full-on supercell. I was so furious of what happened that I felt like I could go on a murder spree. Who does this to kids? What monster uses a little kid as some sort of sex doll? I threw up in a trashcan from hearing what happened. The other adults in the room didn’t fare much better than me. Janet broke down crying in the middle and the two cops look like they were about to go on a mass killing spree. How did Charlie survive that? I can’t possibly imagine. I just know that. If I was out of blood before. I am now.

“That’s all of it, lovely,” Carmilla says.

“Anything else?” Janet replies.

“Nope,”

“I’m so very sorry what you went through. I would’ve killed myself by now. I don’t know how you do it.” Janet cries.

“Well, that’s why I was created. To harbor those memories away from Charlie. I personally can handle them.”

“Tell Charlie he doesn’t have to worry anymore. We’ll make sure that those monsters get in a prison cell they deserve.” Halsey promises.

“Thank you, Detective. I’ll be sure to tell him.”

Janet, “Do you mind having temporary guardianship of Miss… I mean Mister Davis.”

I shake my head as I said, “No, I was hoping you would say that.” I smile, “I would love for Charlie to live with me.”

“We’re done here. You can go. I do suggest you get a good therapist.”

“Will do!” Carmilla says as she gives Janet a salute. Then she turns to me and hugs tackles me.

“Ooomff.” I yelp getting a tight hug from the cute Carmilla.

“I’ve been wanting to do that for a while now.” She looks up at me giving me a broad grin. Then she gives me puppy eyes. “Can we go for ice cream?

I give her a smile, “Of course.”

As we walk to the nearest ice cream store, I ask, “So, why Carmilla?”

Carmilla looks at the sky thoughtfully, “Charlie read the book ‘Carmilla’ and thought she was an awesome character. Even if she’s a lesbian vampire.”

“That makes sense. Why are you a girl rather than a boy?”

“I cannot tell you that. You have to ask Charlie himself.”

“How long will you be here?”

“Until tomorrow. Charlie could not handle what happened to him. I don’t blame him. The only thing that keeps me sane is the fact that I have no negative emotions. Well, very little negative emotions.”

“Explains why you’re so confident. So, how do you feel about living with me?”

“I would like it no other way.”

“We’ll get some clothes tomorrow. For today, we can just relax.”

“Sounds wonderful.” Carmilla sings.

After some ice cream, we went back home and watch a movie. Charlie/Carmilla fell asleep on my shoulder. I carried them up to my bed and tucked them good night. Seeing them peacefully sleeping makes me feel warm inside. I went back downstairs and watched TV.

An hour later, mom came through the door.

“Who shoes are these?”

“Mom, remember that kid from two weeks ago when I first came here?”

She nods, “Yeah?”

“Turns out he was being abused. I was given temporary guardianship of him.”

“Can I see him?”

“Sure, he’s sleeping in my room.” We walk upstairs to my room to check on Charlie who was sleeping so peacefully.

“My, isn’t he just a little angel?” Mom whispers.

“I can agree to that.” We watch him for a bit and go back to the living room.

“Can you tell me what happened to him.”

“Sure, but just to warn you. It’s brutal.”

I tell her everything that Charlie and Carmilla told us at the school. Mom broke down crying a few times. Hell, I started crying with her.

When I finished, Mom declares, “We have to keep that child safe. We can’t let anything else happen to him.”

I nod, “Agreed.”

up
199 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Let's see where this goes

Beoca's picture

This seems like a story that ought to appeal to fans of the Winnisimmet Tales, such as myself - it seems to have thematic parallels and does have some expositional similarities, but is distinct and yet similarly engaging. Regardless, I like what I've read, and I'm definitely keeping an eye on this story. Will be interested to see how "Mr. Blue" fares in the classroom - but it should be good if he can live up to his word.

Hearing what happened with

Hearing what happened with Charlie, I can most definitely agree with the desire of the two Police Officers, the woman from Social Services and Brent Blue that they want to "kill the ones who did such a thing on this child or any child".

Will they make it to jail?

Jamie Lee's picture

Aren't there places where someone could get lost and never be found in that State? Or a bog or quicksand? Those animals need to be introduced to those behind bars who take a dim view on how they treated Charlie.

Charlie is a mess, given he has a split personality. A personality which kept the Charlie personality away from the abuse. Hopefully living with Brent will help start putting Charlie back together, as well as working with a therapist.

Others have feelings too.