Destination Unknown Part 3

Printer-friendly version


Destination Unknown

By, Hilary Richards
Part 3

 

 

lonely cover.jpg

 

 

 

 


Synopsis:  Ashley Roberts had decided to embrace her female side and started on her journey into womanhood thanks to the support of her family. At the moment things seem perfect for our girl, but not everyone is going to be as supportive. .

 



Chapter 11

 

 

          It had been a long day for the three of us I thought to myself as we climbed into the cab and started for home. Today had been the first day I had spent as a girl. It had been somewhat nerve racking but also exciting, I really couldn’t believe the difference a visit to the salon made.  I thought that I would be passable as a girl but I didn’t really think that I was going to be very attractive but between the makeup and new hairstyle. I realized that I was just as pretty as my sister Megan and Amy who were both very beautiful.

“Penny for your thought?” Megan said looking over at me.

“I am just tired, it’s been a long day and so many things have happened, I am just kind of taking it all in now,” I said with a smile.

“I guess that I can understand, you woke up this morning an ugly duckling, and turned into a beautiful swan,” Megan said grinning.

“That’s a good analogy.”, I said frowning.

“Actually, it’s kind of true, you woke up this morning one person and you are returning home a whole other person,” Amy said grinning.

“I guess that’s true in a way, but then again I am still the same person I was before. I am just the new and improved model.”, I said with a big smile.

“Well, I would say it’s a big improvement Ashley.”, Megan said grinning.

“Yeah, I have to agree with Megan.”, Amy exclaimed.

The drive home only took us 10 minutes, and before long we had arrived home. Amy and I started bringing in my bags as Megan took care of the cab fare. When the two of us entered the house we were met in the living room by my Mother, to say she was shocked would be an understatement.

“OMG, Ashley you look so beautiful, and look at your hair, I would never have guessed you would come out so beautiful.” Mom said as she came over and hugged me.

“Thanks, Mommy, I love my new look and for the first time in my life I feel normal,” I said with a big smile.

“Oh baby, I loved having you as a son, and it’s going to be hard letting my little boy go, but you’re still the same child I raised and I have to remember that.” Mom said frowning.

“I will take the bags, up to your room, and give the two of you a chance to talk alone,” Amy said with a grin

“You never really had a son mommy, the girl inside has always been here. She’s just an excellent actress.”, I exclaimed.

“I wish that we could have taking care of this year ago if only I had known.” Mom said sadly.

“Well, that’s all water under the bridge mom. I would rather look to the future than continue living in the past, but I should really take these bags to my room. You’re more than welcome to join me it will give you a chance to see all the wonderful things we put on your charge card.” I said grinning.

“Sure honey, I will join you in a few minutes.” Mom said with a smile.

Once I left mom, I made my way upstairs and into my bedroom where I found Megan and Amy, had already emptied my bags unto my bed and were busy sorting everything into neat piles., “We're going to have to have my dad build her a closet!” Amy said looking over at Megan.

 “You’re right Amy, she is going to be needing it with all of these new clothes,”

“That seems, like a good idea I am sure Uncle Brian can figure something out,” I said sneaking up behind them.

“I will take it from here, mom is going to be coming up to see all the goodies, we bought today,” I said with a smile.

“Alright Ashley, when you are finished with your mother, there's room downstairs in my closet you should hang up your new dresses so they don’t get all wrinkled,” Amy exclaimed.

“Thanks, I will bring them down later,” I said with a smile.

“Let's give her some time alone, mom will be up soon anyway,” Megan said to Amy

“Alright, if you need anything Ashley, we will be in my bedroom,” Amy exclaimed and the two of them made their way downstairs leaving me to organize my room alone.

Amy was right about one thing, I needed more space now that I was going to be living full time as a girl. As a guy, all I needed was a dresser, big enough to hold everything and a closet which held a few jackets, and a couple of dress suits. I would now have, jackets, dresses, skirts, slips and a growing supply of shoes.

Over time I would have a wardrobe comparable to the one that Megan had left behind. I thought to myself as I booted up my computer and logged into my Spotify playlist and music began to play.

 

          A few minutes passed as I started sorting through my small dresser, and tried to make room for all the new clothes I had bought earlier in the day. It wasn’t long before I heard a knock coming from the door on the main level. It’s opened I hollered loud enough that they could hear.

“It’s just me”, mom called as she made her way up the stairs that led to my bedroom.

“Wow, you guys went all out.” Mom said looking at all the clothes laying on my bed in a neat pile.

“Yeah, but it was all things I am going to need,” I explained.

“Don’t worry about it, honey I know how expensive woman's clothes can be.” Mom said as she started sorting through the items I had brought home with me.

“This is a beautiful dress honey; why don’t you try it on so I can see how it looks on you.” Mom said grinning.

“Really?” I said looking over at her.

“Yes, really were both girls right?” Mom said grinning.

“It’s just a bit of a surprise,” I said looking her in the eyes and started undressing until I was standing in front of her in just my bra and panties.

“Wow, they look so realistic.” Mom said referring to my breast forms that were now visible.

“It’s not as good as having the real thing but they do the job as long as I don’t wear anything too revealing.”, I said as I picked up one of my dresses and slipped into it.

“Could you zip me up mom.”, I said turning my back to her.

“Sure honey”, mom said pulling the zipper up and I felt the dress tighten around me.

“So what do you think mommy?” I said turning around so she could see me.

“It really suits you honey, and I never really noticed that you had curves until now.” Mom said referring to my hips.

“I have had them for a while, I just hid them under loose fitting pants,” I explained.

“I should have been paying more attention to what was going on.” Mom said sadly.

“Maybe, I should have been a little more forthcoming, but I was too ashamed to tell anyone and well if dad found out it would have just given him another thing to use against me,” I explained to her.

“You’re right Ashley, he was a real prick to you and if he was here now he would force you to have the operation so you could be a man just like him,” Janet said to her son.

“Well, hopefully, we will never have to see him again,” I said hoping that I was right, but had my doubts, the one thing he was good at was getting his own way and if he wanted to find us, probation and a restraining order wouldn’t stop him.

“Are you alright honey?” Mom asked sensing something was wrong.

“It’s nothing mommy, I am just tired out and my mind is running on overdrive,” I said with a smile not wanting to worry her with what I had been just thinking.

“Why don’t you wear your new dress and come down for supper. I can’t wait to see the look on your Aunt and Uncle's faces when they see how beautiful my new daughter is.” Mom said with a big smile.

“Alright mom, I don’t feel like changing back anyway,” I said in a low voice.

The two of us made our way downstairs, it was already close to 5 pm and we could hear that everyone was already in the kitchen. I looked over at mom, “Are you sure this dress isn’t a little too much to wear for supper?”

“No baby, you look beautiful just relax remember were family. There’s nothing to worry about.” Mom said reassuringly.

Mom’s right these people are my family and they only wanted what was best for me. I was just a little self-conscious. I wasn’t used to living full time as a girl and there a lot of things that I was going to have to learn and get used too. I thought to myself as mom and I entered the kitchen together and I braced myself for their reaction.

 

Chapter 12

 

Boston City of Champions at least that is one of the slogans they use.  Philip Roberts didn’t feel like a winner when he showed up at his wife's home and found out that she had left with the kids and he had no idea where she would have gone.

In his mind, they were his kids and he had every right to see them, to say he was angry would have been an understatement, he was furious. Sure, he had made some mistakes in the past but he served his time and wanted the life he left behind.

He was determined that one way or another he was going to get his family back. Now the question was where would they have gone.

He knew that he couldn’t get help legally because of the restraining order, she had full custody of the kids. So chances were the authorities wouldn't be much help. If anything they would likely notify his probation officer and he would end up back in jail. He would have to be careful.

The first thing he did was visit a friend that lived in the same apartment building that his family had lived. The two of them had been drinking buddies, and if anyone was going to help him it was good old Jimmy.

Philip made his way into the apartment building, and up to the third floor. He had not talked to Jimmy since his incarceration and wasn’t even sure that he still lived there but went to the apartment where Jimmy had lived anyway and knocked on the door and waited for a response.

After a minute he knocked again and then heard a familiar voice respond, “Goddammit give me a sec.”, Jimmy screamed.

Same old Jimmy, Philip thought to himself. Its 1 pm and he's still in bed. He must have been drinking again. Philip thought as he heard the sound of the deadbolt being released and the door being pulled back.

“Philip, you old bastard they finally let you out, come on in,” Jimmy said stepping aside.

“Yeah, I have been out for a few days now, I came here to see Janet and the kids and found a note left for the landlord turns out Janet skipped out with the kids sometime over the last few days, she wouldn’t have mentioned anything to you?” Philip asked his friend.

“I haven’t talked to her since she had you arrested Philip, and I honestly have no idea where she would have gone.  Did you check the mailbox; she might have left the keys to the apartment there. If not, I think that I can pick the lock.” Jimmy exclaimed.

 

Fifteen minutes later Philip and Jimmy were outside of Janet's apartment, it only took Jimmy a few minutes to pick the lock before the two of them were able to enter the apartment. Janet had left the place a complete disaster zone, you could tell that she left very quickly and didn’t bother cleaning up behind her.

You can tell she left in a hurry, that means there are clues all over the apartment Jimmy said picking up the phone and checking the last numbers that were dialed and found the list had been deleted but then took a chance and hit the redial and the last number appeared. He didn’t let it ring through but took a minute and wrote the number down and handed it to Philip, “does this number mean anything to you?”, Jimmy asked.

“No, I don’t even recognize the area code.”, Philip said looking at the number.

“We will run the number through a reverse search and see what comes up.”, Jimmy said looking over at his friend.

“Does Janet have a computer?” Jimmy said looking over at Philip.

“Yeah, she has a desktop, she keeps it in the bedroom,” Philip exclaimed.

“Let's take a look”, Jimmy said and the two of them made their way into the bedroom.

Jimmy booted up the computer, and it loaded to windows, “This is just too easy, she doesn’t even have a password.” Jimmy said with a big smile.

“I guess the first place I will check is her internet history,” Jimmy said opening google chrome and watched as the page loaded. He then went into the options and pulled up Janet's internet history.

The last 3 items proved to be the most important finds she had checked her email before leaving, Jimmy tried logging into her email and found the username and password had been saved and it loaded straight to her email account.

Once inside Jimmy had access to all her folders, there wasn’t much inside the inbox but what caught his attention was an email that she had sent out it was addressed to Helen Steeves. He opened the email and started reading it aloud to Philip.

 

 

 

 

Actual Email:


“Hi Helen, thanks so much you don’t know how much it means to me that you and Brian are willing to help. The kids and I have been worried sick that Philip would start trouble once he was released from jail, and when he showed up at my door I knew just from the look in his eyes that this wasn’t over, it scared me shitless.”

“I worry most about Ashley, Philip was so hard on the poor boy and I really don’t think Ashley will ever recover from the abuse that his father put him through. The sad part is there's still a part of me that loves the worthless shit.”

“Anyway, it should only take us around 2 days to get to your place, I have a few stops to make first we will be there soon enough and thanks again sis, you’re a godsend.”


“What a stupid cunt, she ran off to get away from me and then leaves directions straight to her new home,” Philip said with a big smile.

“Yeah you could say that, she also checked out google maps, let's see if we can’t get lucky,” Jimmy said with a smile.

Sure enough, Jimmy was able to figure out the last search she made, it was a map from Boston to Littleton, Colorado.

“Hit the power button on the printer Philip, I am going to print out the map.”, Jimmy said then pressed the print icon and a few seconds later the printer came to life and started printing out the map

“Well now that you know where she is what are you going to do?” Jimmy said looking over at Philip.

“I am going to go and get my family back but there are a few things I need to do first.”, Philip said with a look of determination.

“Do I need to ask?” Jimmy said looking at his friend.

“Yeah, I need the money”, Philip exclaimed.

“Alright, I will make the arrangements, but I need to ask are you sure that you want to do this? Once we start there is no turning back.” Jimmy said with a frown.

“I am sure, just make the calls and let me know when and where,” Philip said firmly.

 

Present day

 

 

          I was a little nervous as I made my way into the kitchen, I felt like I was completely on display.  Mom led the way and I followed maybe a foot behind her as the two of us entered the kitchen.

I was partially hidden behind the open door so Aunt Helen was really the only one in the kitchen that was able to see me.  I couldn’t help but laugh at the look on her face it was priceless.

“Oh my god, Ashley, you look amazing.” Aunt Helen said with a big smile.

“Thanks, Aunt Helen”, I said blushing and I took another step into the kitchen and past the door so the rest of the family could see me also.

“Absolutely amazing,” Uncle Brian said standing up and coming over for a better look. “You look beautiful Ashley he finally managed to say.”

“Thanks”, I said with a smile.

“Well, Amy and I have already seen her in the dress but you are right she looks amazing,” Megan said,

“Amy”, just nodded and smiled.

 

          After a bit more fussing about how I looked I was glad that Uncle Brian changed the subject. Being a Saturday night his band was going to be playing at the Toad Tavern. Which I thought was a strange name for a bar.

“So is this a place that I can go if I wanted to hear the band play?” I said looking over at my Uncle.

“I have been there a few times they just stamp your hand with a red dot that lets the bartenders know you’re a minor,” Amy exclaimed.

“Did you want to come?” Brian said with a smile.

“Yes, as long as you don’t do anything to embarrass me”, I said looking over at him.

“You have my word”, Brian said with a grin.

“How about it Janet, is it alright if Ashley joins me,” Brian said to my mother.

“As long as you promise to take care of her.” mom said looking nervous.

“It’s alright Aunt Janet, I have been their plenty of times and the people there are really nice, and the staff are very protective especially Bob, he’s the bouncer there and nobody will bother Ashley with him around and besides Megan and I will be there too, you just don’t think I would let Daddy take Ashley and leave Megan and I home,” Amy said with a smile.

“How long are you going to be playing tonight?” My mom asked Brian.

“Till 2 am but, I will have the girls back by midnight,” Brian explained to my mom.

“Good because I don’t want the girls out till 2 am.” Mom said firmly.

“I will put them in a cab myself.”, Brian said with a smile.

 

          After supper was finished Megan, Amy and I made our way upstairs to Amy’s bedroom and she shut the door behind us.

“Alright ladies, we need to sort out what we’re going to wear tonight,” Amy said with a smile.

“I thought that I would just wear the dress I have on,” I said looking over at Amy.

“Your dress should be fine, but we’re going to have to redo your makeup, The Toad Tavern. Isn’t very well lit, so normal makeup just won’t do it.” Amy exclaimed.

“It’s not like I am going there to pick up a man or anything. I am just going to hear Uncle Brian’s band.” I said taking a seat on Amy’s lower bunk.

“We are too Ashley, it’s just part of being a girl and this is the perfect chance for you to learn how to do your makeup, for going out in the evening,” Amy explained.

“Alright, but I don’t want to look like a slut,” I said firmly.

 

          So over the next hour or so Megan and Amy showed me how to apply my makeup Amy used Megan as the model and had me, do everything steps by step on my own face, after about I don’t know how many attempts. I was finally able to get the look that I wanted and was starting to feel a lot more confident about being able to do my own makeup.

Sure I still needed, a lot of practice but I thought that I could at least do my own now even if I had to touch it up a bit afterward.

It was around 9 pm when the three of us made our way downstairs, and I found my Mother and Aunt Helen in the living room.

“Mom, please tell me I don’t look slutty wearing all this makeup,” I said slightly unsure of myself.

“No baby, you look fine.”, mom said with a big smile.

“Thank god, I have never had to do my own makeup before,” I exclaimed.

“You did your own makeup tonight?”, mom said looking surprised.

“Well Amy, used me as the model and we showed Ashley step by step how to do hers, she’s a fast learner and an awesome little sister.”, Megan said with a grin.

“I don’t know if I can handle having two teenage daughters.” Mom said with a grin.

“Be glad, Ashley is the easiest one to deal with but Megan, on the other hand, is nothing but trouble,” Amy said with a wicked grin.

“That’s true Megan has always been nothing but trouble.” Mom said with a smile.

“Hey, enough of that you couldn’t ask for a better daughter,” Megan said shaking her head in disbelief.

“Ready to go ladies”, Uncle Brian said joining us in the living room, he was carrying two guitar cases with him.

“Why do you need two guitars?” I asked him

“It’s always good to be prepared, the last thing you want to do is break a string during a set, this way I can just switch out and change the strings while I am on a break.” He said with a smile.

I was a little unsure of the answer he had given me, but I had no reason to doubt him either. Up till now, Uncle Brian has been honest and straightforward with me, but what worried me was if he was planning on asking me to join him on stage but I put those thoughts to the back of my mind as the four of us climb into Aunt Helen’s minivan and headed out.

 

 

Chapter 13

 

 

          We arrived 30 minutes later at The Toad Tavern, it was a nice well-kept building that had a medium size stage.  As the four of us entered we were met by a big burly man that looked like he could snap me in half with very little effort.

“Hey Bobby, how’s it going?” Brian said putting down his guitar and shaking the big man’s hand. Which appeared to be twice the size of my uncles.

“I am doing good Brian, I see you brought your daughter, It’s nice to see you again Amy, so who are these lovely young ladies, please tell me you didn’t trade Helen in for a couple of younger models.” He said laughing.

“No, I could never trade Helen in it took me years to break her in,” Brian said laughing. “But seriously, these two lovely ladies are my nieces Ashley and Megan.”

“Well, I am Bobby and if you have any trouble tonight I want you to come see me.” He said with a big smile.

“Thank you Bobby, and I promise if we run into any problems you will be the first to know,” I said with a smile.

After walking over to the stage Uncle Brian turned to me, “Ashley would you mind giving me a hand setting up my guitars, you seem to know what you’re doing and I want my second guitar ready to play if I need it.” He said with a smile.

Why don’t you guys grab a table and I will join you in a few minutes I said then followed Uncle Brian onto the stage.

“Hey guys, this is my niece Ashley, she’s going to set up my spare guitar.”, Brian said with a grin.

“Hi Ashley, I am Jon, and our drummer over there is Steve, and the long-haired freak over there playing the bass is glen. I play the keyboards.” He said with a smile.

“It’s nice to meet you all, I am Ashley, and My Uncle told me absolutely nothing about you,” I said with a smile as I plugged the guitar into the amp and started setting the volume.

After a few minutes, playing with the dials I was happy with the sound and started playing. “Ironic”, by Alanis Morissette.

The club was still pretty empty, so I wasn’t very nervous playing up on stage it would be another story if the place had been busy.

As I played I was surprised when the rest of the band began playing alongside me and Jon looked over at me, “Can you sing it?”

“I thought for a minute the problem had always been that I sounded like a girl and that was no longer a good excuse, and I found myself smile as I started singing the words into the microphone.”

For the first time, I found myself completely relaxed and as I looked out from the stage and saw the place was starting to slowly fill up.  I looked over at Megan and Amy they both had a big smile on their faces.

As we reached the end of the song there were about 20 people in the bar clapping I looked over at Jon, “does, it feels like every time you perform?” I said excitedly.

“No Ashley it gets better, especially when you have a full house, that is really into your music and as you can see they like your sound,” Jon said with a smile.

“Let’s do one more?”, he said grinning.

“Do you guys know “Everybody Hurts”, by R.E.M,” I said looking over at the band. The nods I received answered my question and Joh started playing the intro on the keyboard and counted us in and eventually, I started singing.

As I continued singing I was no longer scared anymore and found myself completely lost in the song as I looked over at my Uncle I could see a big smile on his face. I think that he could tell that I had finally found my home. As I started hitting all the high notes, I had been too afraid to hit until now.

When we finally reached the end of the song the crowd was going completely crazy. Uncle Brian hadn’t even started his set yet and the crowd was asking for more. I looked over at my Uncle and mouth the words. “Thanks”, and then left the stage.

“Good evening everyone, that beautiful young lady, is my niece, her name is Ashley Roberts, how about a hand for her, and maybe she will grace us with performing another song with us later.” Uncle Brian said into the microphone.

 

          As I left the stage I was approached by many of the customers, they all seem to love my music and asked me if I was planning on doing any more songs tonight. The attention was a bit overwhelming but I politely said I would likely do a couple songs later. Eventually, I made my way over and joined Megan and Amy at our table.

“Someone is popular tonight”, Megan said with a big smile then reached over and gave me a hug.

“I am proud of you Ashley, you have finally broken free.”, she whispered in my ear.

“Thanks, Megan it felt so good to just let it all out.” I said wiping the tears from my eyes.” I said with a smile.

“Megan is right Ashley; you belong up there with my father,” Amy exclaimed.

“I have never felt like this before, maybe it’s the adrenaline rush, or maybe it’s just the freedom to finally be myself I don’t know but I love the feeling of being on stage and singing. I have no idea why it was such an issue until now.” I explained.

“I need a drink”, I said then made my way over to the bar. As I waited for the bartender to come over and serve me. I noticed a man looking at me, it was honestly starting to creep me out and when he came over I knew what he wanted.

“Hey baby, can I get you a drink?” He said looking at my breasts.

“Does the word’s jailbait mean anything to you. Bobby said coming up from behind and grabbing the man by the back of his Jacket and pulling him towards the exit.” I thought to myself Amy wasn’t kidding when she said Bobby was very protective.

“When the bartender finally came over to serve me she smiled, “You’re Brian’s niece right?”

“Yeah that’s me, can I get a diet coke,” I said with a smile.

“Sure thing Ashley, you have an awesome voice. I hope you decide to do another song later, Brian and the band are good but you have an amazing singing voice.” She said with a big smile.

“Thank you, I may do another song or two later right now I just want to relax for a bit with my sister and cousin. Could you do me a favor have a drink sent over for Bobby, he just rescued me from some kind of pervert.” I said with a smile.

“Sure thing honey, just put the bill on my Uncles tab,” I said then left to rejoin my sister and cousin.

          Megan, Amy and I spent the next hour or so at our table and even got up and danced a bit. I was asked numerous times throughout the night by guys to dance and even took a few up on their offers. It was fun but I could feel my uncle’s eyes on me as well as Bobby’s who was keeping a close eye on Megan, Amy and me.

It was about 11 pm when I heard my name being called by Uncle Brian, at that time I had been sitting with Megan and Amy at our table. He wanted me to come up and do another song with the band and I made my way up on stage with the band.

“Do you guys know, “Mad World”, by Tears for fears?” I said looking at Brian and then the others. Everyone nodded and I picked up Uncle Brian’s spare guitar and we started playing the intro of the song and I began to sing.

I had always loved the song, and like a lot of the music, I liked it also struck a chord with me emotionally after finishing the song I turned and said, “Do you guys mind, doing something different? I know you mostly do classic rock but I would like to do a country song.”, I said looking over at them

“We don’t know a lot of country songs, what do you have in mind?”, Jon replied

“It’s a Martina McBride song called, “Concrete Angel”, I can play myself if you guys can follow along,” I explained.

“We can give it a try”, Brian said then took the microphone. We’re going to try something a little different tonight. There’s a song that Ashley would like to do and its country of all things, so bear with us this is the first time we have tried to do this song.” Uncle Brian said then motioned me over to the Microphone.

“The next song we’re going to do is called,” Concrete Angel”. It’s a Martina McBride song and it’s one of my favorite country songs but it’s also very touching I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.” I said with a smile and started playing the song.

I played the song by myself at first and started singing the words, the guys waited till I reached the second chorus before joining me.  I could see that the people were enjoying the song just by their reaction and by the time we reached the end everyone was on their feet and clapping.

“That’s it for me tonight, Thanks for a wonderful night,” I said leaving the stage.

“Brian took the microphone again, that was Ashley Roberts, and I am sure you will be seeing her again. We’re going to take a small break and we will be back.”, Brian said with a grin and the band exited the stage and before long. I was making the introductions to Megan.

 

          It wasn’t long before all the chairs at our table was filled, and a round of drinks was brought over to our table. I was happy just to have my coke. My mouth was a bit dry after being on the stage, the stage lighting created a lot of heat.

“It was nice having you on stage with us tonight Ashley, you have a beautiful voice, you will have to come back and join us sometime,” Jon said with a grin.

“I would love too but, if I do then I want you guys to learn a few songs so the next time I am ready,” I said with a big grin.

“Just give Brian a list of songs and we will be ready next time you perform with us,” John exclaimed.

“I have to agree Ashley has an awesome voice, we should kick Brian out and add her to the band,” Steve said with a smile.

“Let’s not be too hasty now Brian”, said with a smile.

“Yeah I agree with Steve, besides she’s prettier than you Brian”, Glen said straight-faced.

“Well, I can’t disagree with you there.” Uncle Brian said and everyone at the table laughed.

“But on a serious side, she does have a good voice, and having her would open up a lot of song choices we wouldn’t normally have,” Steve said looking over at Brian and then to me.

“What do you think Ashley, do you want to join us now and then for a show.”, Uncle Brian said looking completely serious.

“Yeah, sure but I want to make my own song choices,” I said looking at Brian and then over at the rest of the band.

“That’s fair”, Jon said then looked over at the rest of the band and everyone seemed to be in agreement.

“Well it looks like you have yourself a part-time singer”, I said with a big smile.

It had been an exciting night, I thought to myself after saying goodnight to the guys and climbing into the cab with Megan and Amy.  I had to admit though it was really fun and I couldn’t wait to do it again.

 

Chapter 14

 

          We arrived home a half hour later and Megan and Amy couldn’t tell mom and Aunt Helen enough about our night and the band offering me a place with them. As for myself I just let the two of them go on.

“So, I take it you enjoyed yourself, Ashley?” asked my mother.

“Yeah mom, I had a lot of fun tonight, I wish you would have been there tonight though,” I said with a smile.

“Believe me, honey, next time I will be.” Mom said with a big smile.

“You can count on me to be there too; I don’t want to miss out on seeing my niece perform again.” Aunt Helen said excitedly.

“Well, I plan on doing it again soon so I will let you know, but I think it’s time for bed though,” I said yawning and then politely excused myself and made my way upstairs.

 

The conversation continued downstairs.

 

“So Ashley was really that good? Janet asked her daughter.

“Yes, it was unbelievable, I have heard her sing before, well in boy mode but he always sounded, how do I say it best, well lifeless. Tonight she was a completely different person and was hitting notes I had no idea was even possible. It was really unbelievable mom.” Megan explained.

“She’s right Aunt Janet it was unbelievable, and from the moment she hit the stage the crowd couldn’t get enough of her,” Amy exclaimed.

“We have to go the next time.”, Janet said to her sister Helen.

“That’s for sure”, Helen said with a smile.

“So how was she the rest of the night?” Janet asked her daughter.

“Good, she seemed really happy and even danced with a few guys,” Megan explained.

“Really, she was actually dancing with guys.”, Janet said somewhat surprised.

“I think you will have to accept the fact that Ashley is into guys, she has always been,” Megan said with a grin.

“She even has a guy interested in her, his name is Adam and he is a really nice guy and Ashley really likes him but is afraid to get close, because of her situation,” Amy exclaimed.

“That’s understandable, do I have anything to worry about with this Adam Character?”, Janet said looking at her niece.

“Not really, Ashley doesn’t want to pursue it.  It’s a shame though I think the two of them would be good together.” Amy said with a smile.

“Well, that is one thing I don't need to worry about I hope,” Janet said calmly.

“Yeah, for now anyway, but the time will come when she is serious about a guy,” Megan said with a grin.

 

Meanwhile upstairs.

 

          It had been an awesome night I thought as I slipped into my baby blue silk nightie, I was glad to be home as I took my phone out of my purse and looked at the message Adam had left me.

“Hi Adam, how are you doing?”, I wrote him back

I waited a few minutes and saw a response and then opened the message.

“Better now that you messaged me, you doing any better Ashley.”

“Much better thanks, I had a good night.  I went to the toad tavern with my uncle and played with his band.”

“Really, isn’t that some kind of dive bar?” Adam asked.

“Yeah, maybe but it was fun all the same “, I replied.

“You said you played with the band?” Adam asked me.

“Yes, I played guitar and even sang a few songs, it was so much fun, Adam. I wish you could have seen me.” I said sending the message.

“Well, the next time you play, let me know. I would love to see you. So what else is new?” he asked.

“I will show you, using my phone I took a picture of my new look and sent it to him.”

“So what do you think?” I said hoping he would be happy with my new look.

“You look very beautiful Ashley; I think I might use it as my new screen saver…lol”

“Don’t be silly”, I exclaimed.

“So are you doing anything tomorrow night?” Adam asked.

“Not really why?” I asked him.

“Dinner and a movie?” Adam wrote

Shit, he’s asking me out on a date, I thought to myself. It’s not like I didn’t know this was coming but I was excited all the same.

I thought about the discussion I had with Megan and Amy earlier and how getting involved with a guy would only complicate my life, but when I thought about Adam I wanted that complication and followed my heart. “Yes, Adam. I would love to go out with you.”, I answered.

“Really”, he texted me back.

I smiled wondering if he really thought there was a chance I would turn him down, “Yes really, but I choose the movie and don’t worry it isn’t going to be a chick flick.”

“Alright, I will pick you up around 6 pm, you’re staying at Amy’s right?” he asked me.

“Yes Adam, and I will see you at 6 pm, goodnight,” I said with a smile and plugged the phone into the charger and laid down on my bed.

“I couldn’t believe that I actually agreed to a date with Adam, I told myself before that dating him would be a complication but when he messages me why couldn’t I just tell him I wasn’t interested.” I thought to myself.

Deep down I knew the truth, I didn’t want to risk losing him. He was a nice guy and surely some other girl would come along and snatch him up and I honestly had feelings for the guy.

I wasn’t naive enough to believe that I was in love with him but I had to admit I was attracted to him and knew he felt the same way about me and now the only problem was how was I going to get out of the house without anyone noticing.

As for the moment, I was tired out and would figure out something in the morning. I thought to myself as I climbed under my blankets and fell asleep in no time.

 

Chapter 15

 

 

          It was around 9 am when I finally was awoken, I had slept like a baby, and I was ready to start another day.  After having a quick shower, I returned to my bedroom and started looking for something to wear.

Thanks to the shopping trip I had gone on with Megan and Amy, I had a good selection of clothes to choose from, not to mention all the nice clothes that Amy had given me. I decided on a baby blue sundress, it was one of the dresses that I had been given by Amy.

The sundress was very form fitting and really showed off all my curves. It was also a little short and went down just below my knees. I had chosen a matching bra and panties set and slipped on my new sandals. Since they were opened toe, I could now see the awesome job that Beverly had done on them at the Salon.

Being Sunday I really didn’t know what to do with myself, as I made my way downstairs. I poked my head into Amy’s and Megan’s room and saw that the two of them were still sleeping. So I made my way downstairs and into the Kitchen and found Uncle Brian sitting at the kitchen table.

“Good morning Uncle Brian, you’re up early everyone else is still in bed,” I said pouring myself a cup of coffee and joining him at the table.

“I am usually up early Ashley; I have to make a trip to Denver, for a couple hours, would you like to come for the drive.”

“Sure, I would like that,” I said grinning

“Well, leave a note for your mother, Ashley before we leave so she doesn’t send out a search party. She is bound to worry more about you now that you have started living as a girl.”  Uncle Brian said with a smile.

 

          A half hour later the two of us were climbing into his truck and started our trip towards Denver. “So what is so important that you have to drive all the way to Denver on a Sunday morning?” I asked him.

“You will see”, Uncle Brian said being secretive.

“Alright, I guess you will surprise me, so tell me did you plan for me to perform last night or was it a coincidence.”, I said looking over at him.

“Well honey, I guess you could say it was a little bit of both. I didn’t have to force you to do a thing Ashley all the choices were your own, but I would be lying if I said that I wasn’t happy you decided to join us. “Uncle Brian exclaimed.

“Well I am not mad, I had way too much fun,” I said grinning.

“Good because the offer the guys made you was based completely on your singing ability and I had nothing to do with that at all Ashley.”

“But there is one thing that I am going to tell you, Ashley, I am so proud of you what your doing is not easy, and facing things head on and not hiding from them and when I saw you take the stage and make it your own I knew that you had finally found your home much like it was for me,” Brian explained.

“Yeah, I loved every moment being up there and seeing how happy the people were. I felt that I played a small part in their happiness. I know that sounds stupid.” I said looking at my Uncle.

“Not really honey, sometimes you can do exactly that people often come in and they’re in a dreadful mood, maybe they are feeling lonely or whatever. Then they hear that beautiful voice of yours and somehow it changes their outlook.”

“Maybe they feel better and meet someone and it leads to something more. What I am saying you never know what kind of effect you are going to have on someone” Brian said grinning.

“I guess that’s true Uncle Brian; I have seen people cry just watching a music video. Hell, I have even done it.”  I said in a low voice.

“We’ve all done it, Ashley, having emotions is part of being human and there is always some kind of trigger for everyone,” Brian explained.

I thought about what Brian just said.  It was funny how the two of us could talk to one another. I had never really been close to anyone but there was something about him that just made me want to trust him.

Maybe it was because he wasn’t anything like my own father, who never really accepted me. Instead tried to force me to become the person he wanted me to be. Whereas Uncle Brian accepted me for who I was.  He offered encouragement rather than judgment. 

I wished that I could have had Uncle Brian as my father, maybe I wouldn’t have turned out to be so fucked up, I thought to myself as I looked out the window and watched the scenery passing by.

 

          We drove for a half hour and come to a turnoff that said Aurora, Colorado. Uncle Brian had to take the turn off and was now entering the town of Aurora, I looked over at him. “I think you took a wrong turn Uncle Brian this road leads to Aurora, not Denver,” I stated.

“We’re not lost honey; I have a stop here I have to make first.” He said with a smile.

“Alright, I thought you got distracted or something.” I said and watched as we turned onto another road that eventually came to what looked to be a large campus with a big sign outside that said, “Children's Hospital Anschutz Campus.”

“What are we doing here?” I asked my Uncle.

“I come here every weekend, many of these kids are not going to see the outside of this hospital, and I come here to entertain them and today you’re going to join me. Ashley.” Brian said with a grin.

“You could have just told me what you were up too?” I said shaking my head.

“Sure I could have told you but that wouldn’t have been as much fun as making you guess.” He said with a smile.

“So, I take it you have the spare guitar Uncle Brian?”

“It’s behind your seat Ashley.” He said with a smile.

“Alright lead the way,” I said picking up the spare guitar and following my uncle into the building.

“Is there anything I should know before dealing with the kids?” I said somewhat concerned.

“Yes, for some of the areas were going to have to wear special gowns, some of these kids have very low immune systems. So you have to be very careful how you deal with them. Today we are going to be hitting the first floor, next week I plan on doing the second floor.” Uncle Brian explained.

“Alright I understand”, I said looking over at him.

          Our first stop was the nursing station and we were told that we could set up in the Television Lounge, and the nurses would bring the children to us. As we entered the lounge, I saw a small piano and went over and sat my guitar next to it.

“Do you play?” Brian asked.

“Yeah, not as good as I play the guitar but enough to get by.”, I said taking a seat on the bench and lifted up the drawer and started playing, “Say Something, by Christina Aguilera. I always loved this song best when it was played on a piano.

Once I began to sing the song, I saw the nurses starting to bring the kids into the lounge I just smiled and continued playing and singing.

Uncle Brian made himself busy and went over and started talking with the children and before long I had a group of kids come over and took seats near the piano and listened to me play. I smiled at them and when I came to the end of the song I had half a dozen requests.

I did my best to keep the kids entertained and even played a few songs with the kids having them sing along with me.  When I looked over I saw my uncle was playing freaking video games with the kids.

We visited at the hospital for over an hour, “Uncle Brian came over and did a few songs, which gave me a break and I found myself surrounded by a group of young girls, and one of them was nice enough to share her Barbie’s.

 I had to admit I was having a lot of fun playing with the kids and was kind of sad that we had to go, but I promised that I would be back next week with my Uncle.

While exiting the building I turned to my Uncle, “does Amy ever come with you?”

“She used to, but not so much anymore, not everyone is suited for something like this, some of these children may not be here next week and you have to keep that in mind if we’re lucky maybe they went home.” Uncle Brian explained.

“He didn’t need to explain where the other kids went.”, I thought to myself.

There was a part of me that understood what he was trying to do, it was all about trying to improve the quality of life, at least for what little time some of these children had, and it honestly made me realize no matter how bad my life was it could have been a lot worse.

 

End of part 3

to be continued in part 4

up
149 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

good feels

Alecia Snowfall's picture

some good feels in this chapter.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

This what I would consider a

This what I would consider a bitter-sweet story, Ashley gets to perform on stage and to really come out of her shell; and then finds out about children who are in a hospital and some of whom may never leave that hospital except in the prone position. Very sad.
I do hope that Philip is brought down before he can cause any major problems for Ashley or her mother and sister. Hopefully Uncle Brian will be able to stop him; however I would not want Brian to be hurt by the callous father and his insane antics regarding Ashely.

She has a gift

and is willing to share

I'm enjoying this story

It's nice to see Ashley and her family getting support, and Ashley blossoming into her potential. I hope when the biological abusive father shows up he gets shut down hard before he hurts anyone.

Patrick is an idiot. Leaving

Brooke Erickson's picture

Patrick is an idiot. Leaving the state violates his probation. And that to trying to contact his former family and he'd be going back. But since he's likely looking at kidnapping or worse, and crossing state lines he's going to go away for a *long* time. and on *federal* charges.

I just hoped he doesn't hurt his ex-wife and kids before he's caught.

Also, it's a wonder he didn't have major problems in jail. cons do have standards. And while they might overlook him beating on his wife if he spun it right, but beating on kids? That tends to make for some very hard time. As in he'd have had a lot of "accidents".

Brooke brooke at shadowgard dot com
http://brooke.shadowgard.com/
Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world
"Lola", the Kinks

A bit short, a little below the knees?

Jamie Lee's picture

Guess Phillip didn't learn anything in the six months behind bars. And isn't concerned with breaking probation or the restraining order. Whatever he has planned he will be lucky if he sees anything but bars for some time. And should something happen to Janet, Megan, or Ashley he may never see anything but bars for the rest of his life. If word doesn't get around about what he did.

A weight lifted, that has freed Ashley to be who she really has been for so long. As was said by Megan, even her singing has more soul put into it. Maybe Phillip will be stupid enough and come after Ashley while she's at the Toad so Bobby can have a nice word with him.

Ashley has what it takes to be with Brian as they entertained the children. It would appear it's something she's had all along but had to kept it hidden because of a pig.

Others have feelings too.