What Milsy Did -25-

Printer-friendly version

Eriana struggles to adjust to the customs of a court which is somewhat more sophisticated than that of her father. Her appearance at breakfast is... embarrassing, but the King and Queen already have a plan. Terys asks Milsy to keep an eye on the palace visitors as the day unfolds.

What Milsy Did

by Penny Lane

25 - Corridor Encounters


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2017 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



When Tarvan arrived next morning to escort Milsy the short distance to the Family Dining Room she had already put the strange new visitor out of her mind. Instead, she had been thinking about the non-functioning clock and working out ways to discover what was wrong. This meant that she would have to return and change out of her day gown into her working suit after breakfast, but since her chambers were almost literally next door this was no real problem.

"Good morning, Milsy."

"Good morning, Tarvan. Ready for breakfast?"

He grinned. "Of course. I'm a growing boy, after all."

"Huh. You sound like Duke Gilbanar. Are you going to become as, um, well-built as he is, then? If so, mayhap I'll look elsewhere."

"I have no fear of that happening, Milsy. My wife will keep me slender with worry."

She poked out her tongue at him and then turned her cheek up to receive a greeting kiss.

"Silly boy."

Bursila closed and locked the door behind them and the three, accompanied as always by their escort, walked the short distance to the dining chamber. They were early so found a place near one of the newly reglazed doors and began talking about what would likely happen that day.

"Are you likely to be with the Princess this morning, do you think?"

"Oh! I don't think so, Tarvan. I thought she would probably spend some time today closeted with Their Majesties. She arrived late yesterday afternoon, didn't she? I doubt she has had much chance to tell them anything about herself or what she expects to find here." Her expression became more concentrated. "No, I've been thinking about that kitchen clock and attempting to think of ways to discover what was wrong. I think I have a way but it means using up some of the spare parts in the laboratory."

"Oh? What do you plan to make? Some kind of measuring instrument?"

Milsy was momentarily derailed. "Measuring..? No, but that sounds like an interesting idea. What made you think of that?"

"Oh, I remember Lady Garia telling us that was how they worked out much of what they know now, and that over the years their measuring tools have become ever more accurate and refined. You realize that we actually have a measuring instrument in production use now?"

"We do?" Milsy thought, but couldn't imagine anything that might fit such a description. "What, exactly?"

He grinned and pointed. "Thinking about it, we have two, actually. One is that clock, which now permits us to measure time to a precision of one second. Already that simple fact has been of much use to us, and soon it will be essential to every astronomer in Alaesia."

"You're right. I don't think of the clock as an instrument, but of course that is what it is. And the other?"

"Why, the spectrograph they use at the furnace site, Milsy. It may not measure anything, in the way a ruler does or a clock does, but it shows the furnace workers exactly what is inside their metal. It... analyzes it, if you will. It is certainly worthy of being named instrument."

"Aye..." She became lost in thought, then shook her head. "I wonder what instruments the craft of electricity will need. A way of telling the charge in batteries would be useful, as it happens. They can only run for so long and the glass tubes and bulbs we use are not very accurate."

"You are right. Those only tell us about the acid in the jars, which is a good idea, but they don't tell us what voltage the battery has left."

"There must be a way. I have been thinking, the strength of the magnetic field which a solenoid makes must be related to the current going through the coil, mustn't it?"

Tarvan nodded slowly. "Aye, that is what Maxwell's Law shows us." He looked interested. "You would use a solenoid to pull... some kind of pointer, perhaps, according to the current going through it."

"Aye. A pointer like those clock hands, for example. If the pointer moves further, the current must be higher. What say you?"

He frowned. "Those hands move round, and yet a solenoid pulls in a line towards the magnet. It is not a big concern, doubtless the Clockmakers will have some mechanism that will do what we need. And we would need some kind of spring, to provide a resistance against the pull. Do you want to try to invent something like that? If you can, I can see occasions in the future where such a device would be of great value."

Milsy shook her head. "That idea needs some work, I deem, and I have no time to investigate it now. What I was going to suggest was, I'll simply make up a clock frame with just a solenoid and ratchet in it, out of spare parts we already have, then go along the wires until I find a point where the ratchet doesn't work."

"Oh, of course. What will that tell you?"

She grinned. "That will tell me the furthest point at which I can put a battery box and a solenoid switch, that's what. Then I can feed the kitchen clock from there - I hope."

"Oh, that's clever. One naturally thinks that all the clocks have to be supplied by the same battery but of course it is not so. It is merely the... signal, the pulse of electricity along the seconds wire, which must pass to the repeaters."

"Exactly. And there are other benefits if we do it that way. One is that we don't have all the clocks taking current from the same battery, making it run down even faster. Another is that I can feed more than one clock off that solenoid switch. Captain Merek still wants a clock down at the training chambers and there will be doubtless others."

"That's brilliant, Milsy. Do you think we'll need some more of these battery boxes around the palace? I have been concerned how far we must needs take the wires."

"It's a good idea, but we need to think... Look, let me find out if this idea will work first, and then we should sit down with some plans of the palace and look at the whole building. I could see there being four such repeater battery boxes, perhaps, two in the back and two in the front. That way, if there is any problem with one box the others should not be affected."

"Another good idea. If every clock were connected together then a careless swipe with a cleaning stick would stop them all, would it not? Breaking the wiring into sections will have unexpected benefits, I deem. Hmm. We'll need Captain Merek's permission to look at such drawings, I believe. Oh, here he comes now, with the King and Queen."

The three entered the room and came to greet Tarvan and Milsy. Once the formalities had been observed Terys asked Milsy, "You had a peaceful evening, dear?"

"Indeed, Ma'am, we did. I did not sleep so well, though, I was thinking about the kitchen clock problem all night."

"Oh? I know that sometimes the mind becomes fixed on one thing some nights, dear. I, too, spent last night thinking, but about our latest visitor. Have you had any further thoughts since we last spoke?"

"I regret that I have not, Ma'am. Um, if I may ask a favor of Captain Merek, as he is here."

"Why, of course, dear."

Merek was attentive. "Mistress?"

"Captain, I have been thinking about the clocks we are installing around the palace. I have had some ideas about what we are doing and I'm trying to think about the future. Would it be possible for Tarvan and I to look at some plans of the palace? It may be of some benefit in time - and coin, come to that - if we can plan ahead what may be needed in the future."

"Mistress, you already know that such plans are kept closely attended but of course the palace guildsmen must needs know where to run pipes, drains and call wires, as well as when they are making repairs and alterations to the building. I believe that Tord knows the chamber where the drawings are kept, he can conduct you both there and you should have no difficulty gaining admittance. If I may ask, which parts were you interested in?"

"All of it, Captain, both upstairs and downstairs. If, for example, His Majesty desires a clock in a certain room at the front of the palace, we would need to know the shortest way to run wires. At present we are planning the routes by walking the corridors and there has to be a more organized way to do it. Sometimes we are just guessing which way will be the easiest."

Merek nodded. "As you say. I'll warn the officer of the day that you'll be coming -"

Heads turned as Eriana entered the room, preceded by a footman and followed by her two maids. Milsy gasped and she could hear the Queen's indrawn breath.

"Excuse me, husband. Milsy, come."

As she followed the Queen across the floor Milsy instantly understood that Terys had deliberately split their group into men and women, and that the party facing them was only women, which would reduce the immediate embarrassment. Once that realization passed she looked at Eriana with greater detail.

Her gown this morning was a lighter shade of blue and again made of some fine, close-woven fabric, though there was no sheen to the surface. Across the bodice was a complex, swirling pattern in silver and gray which would take an onlooker some time to study and appreciate. The pattern did not appear to be embroidery but woven into the cloth. The gown flowed naturally over the body of the Princess, showing great skill in the cutting and shaping of the material. This was a garment commissioned for the daughter of a King. The neckline was again scooped, but this time there was no visible lacing at the front. Two fingers above the hem was another wide band of silver and gray, repeating the pattern of the bodice.

There were, unfortunately, several problems with Eriana's choice of attire this morning. One side of the skirt was heavily creased and an obvious water stain disfigured the detail at the hem. The most obvious problem, one which made Milsy immediately sorry for Eriana, was that the hem brushed the floor, showing only the tips of the white fluffy bedroom slippers she had probably been forced to wear through lack of alternatives.

Terys spoke before Eriana could rise from her curtsey. "Eriana, dear, good morning! I am so sorry, dear, you had retired before we had word that all your clothing had been damaged by the storm. Let me put that right immediately, we cannot have a guest of royal rank struggling to find things to wear in our palace, can we? I shall offer you and all your party the facilities of the Palace Wardrobe, to provide suitable attire while you yet remain with us."

Eriana's expression was relief, embarrassment and, Milsy thought, barely suppressed fury that she should have to expose her weakness in this way.

"Ma'am, I did not know -"

"That is all right, dear. How could you know? You have been with us less than twelve bells, you could not possibly know how such things are arranged."

"But, Ma'am, after yesterday evening, I thought that you all wore long gowns to meals, so that is what I chose." She shook her head. "I do not understand your court," she finished miserably. Her voice dropped. "I begin to think I have made a great mistake coming here, Ma'am. This land is so strange to me."

"As it was to me, dear," Terys replied in a similar low tone. Eriana's head came up sharply. "When I arrived here to be considered by the King, Prince Robanar as he then was. I, too, felt as though I had arrived in some strange dream - or nightmare. Now, listen to me."

"Ma'am?"

"What you feel is natural. You are away from your lands, your family, all the places that are familiar to you. We do not even speak the language you were brought up with! I ask you to take your time and see if you cannot discover those things you will need if you are to be acceptable to our son. Did you not travel so far for that very reason?"

Eriana's head came up at that. Of course she wanted to stay, that was her whole reason for coming, was it not? Yet Milsy had detected a flash of something as Terys spoke about her homeland... or was it something else?

Terys continued, "You have had a nightmare of a journey to come to us, dear, it is no wonder that you are confused and upset, especially when most of your belongings are destroyed or ruined. You have a week to rest and adjust to our strange, foreign ways." Terys smiled as she said this. "You will discover that much of the way we do things, the way the palace is run, is to permit us to better do those tasks the country demands of us. You should not have to carry this burden all by yourself. Now, if you would introduce me to your maids."

The sudden switch of subject was sufficient to break Eriana's train of thought and she turned to her attendants.

"If it please Your Majesty, this is Geska and that one is Odgarda. I regret that neither of them as yet speaks any word of the Valley tongue, though. I do not know how easy it will be for them to understand what is required of them."

"I would not be too concerned. There are some few within the palace who come from other lands, some very much more distant than your own, believe me. It is said that the language we speak in the Great Valley is a mixture of tongues, descended from those that were spoken in various parts of Alaesia many centuries ago. For all that, I am told that it is easy enough to learn sufficient to make oneself understood and to carry out one's duties. You will see," the Queen said confidently. "Even if you yourself only speak to them in the tongue of your own lands, they will soon discover from others some few words that will be helpful to them."

"If you say so, Ma'am. My gown... you do not object?"

"You are here, dear, and breakfast is about to be served. It will not be the first time that someone has come to table wearing unusual attire and it is unlikely to be the last. Come, dear, I see Dyenna has arrived. She is Mistress of the Wardrobe and we can discuss your needs with her while we wait."

While the Queen had been soothing ruffled egos Gullbrand and Lars had arrived. As they entered the hall they had taken note of King and Queen and stood uncertainly until Robanar crooked a finger in their direction. Milsy watched them walk over and bow, realizing then that the royal couple had prearranged the whole thing.

While Terys gave her instructions to Dyenna Milsy watched, with a portion of her attention, as Robanar spoke to Gullbrand, probably telling him that he and Lars would be going to the Wardrobe as well that morning. A discussion with Merek followed, probably about any personal weapons they held - and also where Lars was going to be spending his nights.

"Milsy, dear!"

"Uh, yes, Ma'am?"

"Are we boring you?"

"Ah, no, Ma'am. I was just thinking about the clocks... Ma'am."

"As you say, dear." But Terys clearly didn't believe that. "Attend me now. Originally I was going to send you to the Wardrobe with Her Highness but I have decided to take her myself. Eriana is of royal blood and Dyenna has not yet had to deal with anyone of such a rank apart from myself and the King. It will mean changing my appointments for this morning but no matter. Now. It is time, I believe, that we took our seats. We shall sit as we did yesterday evening."

"As you desire, Ma'am."

Once seated, the servants began setting out the breakfast food and drink, Eriana's two maids watching what was going on and copying the palace servers. Like most diners Milsy accepted a bowl of grain porridge from Bursila, poured cream on it and began eating. Eriana stared at her bowl, unhappy.

"Do you have anything like this in your father's palace, dear? It is only a porridge of the local grain, boiled in milk."

"Ah, Ma'am, in Einnland there is something similar, but in my father's hall only the servants would eat such fare."

"You can but try it, dear, and see if you may find it acceptable. Do not worry if you do not like it, there are meats, cheese, bread and fruits for those who have other tastes. Ah! That reminds me. Shall you drink pel this morning, or would you rather have beer?"

"Ma'am, pel is a drink unknown in Einnland. I understand it is made from herbs which do not grow in such a cold climate as ours. I have tasted it in Plif and found it interesting enough to drink again."

"Indeed, dear. You will find that almost all in Palarand drink pel from time to time. Kenila, dear, show Eriana's two maids how to draw a cup of pel from the pot, please." To Eriana she added, "Some of the men prefer beer or small beer but I find that it is not a pleasant taste at breakfast for us ladies. We usually leave beer and wine to later meals, preferring pel to help us wake ourselves up in the mornings."

"As you say, Ma'am. If I may ask, what is small beer?"

"It is brewed enough for the water to be safe, dear, but not brewed so long that it will addle your mind." Terys rolled her eyes. "Of course, many of our menfolk prefer the full brew for just that reason. I do not understand why."

"Much that our menfolk do is a mystery to womankind, Ma'am," Eriana replied diplomatically, casting a cautious glance at the King. "In Einnland most may drink the stronger beer though some gentler folk take it with water. I myself would not drink so much that it would dull my judgment... so I believe. I will try the porridge of Palarand, Ma'am."

Eriana ate some of the porridge but it was plain that she preferred other things. She cut slices of cold meat and hunks of bread before nibbling cautiously at the different cheeses which were displayed on a serving plate. She finished with some fruit of a type she obviously recognized and enjoyed.

Facing the serving counter Milsy watched Bursila show with gestures how the maids could feed themselves while still keeping an eye on their principal. Since this was the first time they had eaten in public, they were understandably nervous about the entire proceedings.

During breakfast Terys had sent Varna around the tables with messages and so a small group of servants and officials gathered around the royal couple and their guests once everyone had risen.

"I am taking all our guests to the Wardrobe," Terys announced. "Unknown to us, the attire which they brought with them has been ruined by the several storms suffered during their long sea journey here. It would not be hospitable for us to let them go without suitable wear during their stay here. We may attempt to repair the damaged clothing, but if that should not be possible then some of what they will be given they may take away with them, assuming the suit of Her Highness to be unsuccessful. If there is time after their visit to the Wardrobe, they will all go and enjoy the services of the Salon. Kendar."

"Ma'am?"

"I had a meeting arranged this morning with the wives of the City Assemblymen. If you would convey my apologies and rearrange it for me."

"Of course, Ma'am."

"Terevor."

"Ma'am?"

"We have misunderstood the function of... Gullbrand, here. I'm sorry, I do not know how to name his status. His function to Her Highness is similar to that of Kendar to ourselves. He should have a chamber, and if you would find one that has accommodation for a manservant. His man speaks no word of our tongue and it would be well to place him with someone who speaks his own."

"As you command, Ma'am. That should not be difficult."

"Shelda."

"Ma'am?"

"Expect me to arrive some time today with Her Highness, Master Gullbrand, two maids and a manservant. It may be before lunch or later this afternoon, so I would not want you to refuse others unnecessarily while you await us."

Shelda curtseyed. "I will be ready, Ma'am."

"Milsy, dear."

"Ma'am?"

"I originally intended to ask you to go with Her Highness to the Wardrobe but I see now that won't do. You may resume whatever you were doing previously, but I may ask for you later this afternoon."

"As you wish, Ma'am."

Robanar grunted. "There is a particular matter we must make plain, Eriana, a matter of custom and security."

Eriana turned to the King, expectant. "Sire?"

"Aye. Were you to be someone who intended to stay here for a brief time, mayhap a week or less, then we would not ask this of you. Since you must needs stay with us longer, and perhaps much longer, then I must ask that you agree to this request. It is the custom, in this house, to clothe all servants and retainers in the same livery, so that the Palace Guard may know them when they find them in the grounds, chambers or corridors. By this means we may know who is permitted to be here and who is not."

"I understand, Sire... but if all are dressed alike, how will anyone know who may give an order to another?" She shook her head. "This is strange to me. There are no liveries in my father's hall such as you have here but we do know underlings... servants, by what they wear and who they gave oath to."

"If you would observe Bursila, my dear."

Eriana turned round to stare at Bursila, who of course was standing just behind Milsy.

"She wears the same dress as the palace servants but she is not a palace servant. The colors of their sashes are used to tell whom a servant may belong to."

Eriana looked at Bursila's sash and then spun to examine several of the other servants in view, some of whom were removing the bowls and plates used for serving breakfast.

"Oh! I see, now. I thought... then Bursila is not a palace servant?"

"No, indeed, though just whose servant she is would be somewhat complicated to explain to you now. She is presently Milsy's maid and only Milsy may give her instruction. You will also observe that those guardsmen that escort Milsy about the corridors also wear those sash colors. The usual colors of the Palace Guard are a plain light blue, as are those of Captain Merek here, who commands them. You may from time to time meet other servants who wear other sash colors but if they are in palace livery you may rely on them."

"Sire... I think I understand."

"Dear," Terys added, "look at it this way. We were going to provide your maids and manservant with fresh clothing anyway, since their present attire is presumably all they have. If we are going to do that, we might as well use the custom and give them palace uniforms. That means that you may safely send them on errands and they may be seen about the corridors without worrying that someone will stop them and ask them to explain themselves... which they presently cannot, not speaking our tongue."

Eriana nodded, though Milsy thought she did so reluctantly. "There is much in what you say, Ma'am."

"Does your house have colors, dear?"

Eriana was confused. "My house? Oh, you mean the colors of Einnland. Um, yes, my father's banner has red, white and black, Ma'am. You are suggesting that I use those? How would such a sash be colored, then?"

"If you are willing, then those would be perfect, don't you think, Robanar? Perhaps red on top, white between and black below. I don't think that would conflict with that of Dekarran."

"No, indeed, Gil's people wear black above and red below. Do you need the colors immediately?"

"Dyenna, what do you think?"

The Mistress of the Wardrobe considered. "Ma'am, we have not needed to consider colors since Lady Garia gained hers, and of course she is permitted a variation of the royal colors. We can provide a plain color until you have formally decided, Ma'am."

"That should be good enough. Kendar?"

"Ma'am. After I have dispatched a messenger to the Assembly Hall I will check the records but from memory I do not think that color combination will clash with anyone else's, Ma'am."

"Good. Dyenna, you may order sashes once Kendar confirms the colors. Now, let us be about our tasks. Eriana, Dyenna, come."

* * *

"Ow." Milsy began massaging her wrist with the other hand as she stepped off the stepladder. "I've unscrewed so many screws today and done them up again that my wrist hurts. Is it always like this?"

Tarvan nodded gravely. "You know it is, Milsy. Any new activity uses muscles in ways they have not been used before. In time you would not notice any discomfort if you continue to screw and unscrew - but I do not think you will spend so much more time on this activity, do you? We may let carpenters, joiners and clockmakers, people who have done such things all their working lives, assemble and install clocks for us. That is, after all, why they are there."

"As you say." Her hand went to her back. "Climbing up and down ladders all afternoon is not pleasant, either. Look, Tarvan, I've been thinking. We can manage, just the three of us, for now, but if you - or indeed I - must needs make visits to other places like, oh, shall we say Master Gerdas's mansion, or the furnace site, or even Teldor? Then I think we must needs consider employing some more people. Presently we are borrowing from the palace carpenters and the clockmakers, we should perhaps employ some help of our own. At the moment Bursila is sufficient in the laboratory but the time will come when all three of us will be too few."

"Aye, I have had similar thoughts myself, Milsy, especially after Master Parrel asked me to go to Teldor. We should speak about the matter when we next meet him."

"As you say." Milsy frowned. "Do we have to have a guildsman, do you think? I mean, not just a guildsman, of course, but perhaps a journeyman or even an apprentice? If Master Dubanar can employ people who have not sworn to a guild then must we? Since electricity is a new craft then nothing would be gained by having someone trained in another craft, would it?"

"Well, I don't know, Milsy. You might have benefited by having someone here who was a clockmaker, for instance, or a cabinet maker or a brass-worker. As Lady Garia told us, soon enough the functions of all the crafts will begin to overlap. I doubt any knowledge would be truly wasted, though," he added with a grin, "I cannot see us making much use of a cobbler's secrets, can you?"

"Mayhap. We never know what project we might be asked to investigate next, do we?"

"Indeed. Your original objection is sound, I think. There would be no reason we have to choose an existing guildsman, especially now the rules have been loosened. The Maker knows we have a shortage of guildsmen anyway, with all the new projects happening all over the land. Had you anyone in mind?"

"Not at all, just a knowledge that we might need an extra pair of hands someday soon." She looked up. "Where's the next joint box? Oh, I can see it, it's just beyond that ceiling cross-beam at the corridor junction."

"I'll bring the ladder, you bring the tools. Bursila, this seems a silly thing to ask, but do you know the time?"

"I do not, Master Tarvan, but the Family Dining Room is but two corridors away. If I may go and look? I have not heard a bell since we came around the last turn in the corridor."

"Of course." Tarvan remembered his position and turned. "With your permission, Milsy?"

"Aye, Bursila, go and look." She smiled. "I doubt that Tarvan will have ravished me before you return."

Bursila gave Milsy an old-fashioned look, curtseyed and walked off. Tarvan and Milsy carried their equipment to the next spot and made ready to unscrew the lid from the joint box.

"Shall I go up this time? That will give your sore fingers and wrist a rest."

"Thank you, Tarvan, that would be kind. I'll hold the ladder steady."

Tarvan unscrewed the lid from the box and carefully laid it on the top step of the ladder with the screws on it to stop them rolling off. Beside it he stood the skeleton clock frame which had two test wires dangling from it. He clipped the wires to two of the terminals inside the box and then peered into the frame.

"That works. I can see the ratchet wheel moving round and I can hear the solenoid click, though it doesn't sound as strong as when we were outside the dining room."

At that point Bursila appeared from one direction and Eriana's party from another. Tarvan hurried down the ladder and waited beside Milsy for the Princess to reach them. Eriana's expression was unreadable and Milsy guessed that she was trying very hard not to let whatever was below the surface appear on her face in public. Of the rest, Lars was expressionless while the two maids appeared totally submissive, if not actively groveling. It seemed that they had gotten past being merely frightened. Gullbrand was the only one who looked comfortable, he was now dressed in a sober set of tunic and tights such as any merchant or senior guildsman might wear during the day.

The two maids and Lars were now correctly dressed in palace colors, as befitting their station, though today their sashes were plain purple. Eriana wore a day gown of ice blue with a red sash that matched the color of her lips. Her feet were now shod in a pair of the regular court satin slippers, also in red. Her hair had obviously been washed and trimmed and was now held from her face by a filigreed metal hair band.

"Tarvan, Milsy. You were correct in saying that I would find you in the palace corridors. What is it you do?"

Tarvan looked at Milsy who replied, "Highness, you remember the clock in the dining room?"

"Aye, of course."

"All the palace clocks are connected together by these wires you see running above the doors. We are attempting to install another such in the palace kitchens, that all who work there may know when meals must needs be ready and so on. For some reason it does not work and we are trying to discover why."

Eriana gestured at the box, the ladder and the still-ticking framework. "How does it work? I may not name it sorcery but to my eyes it seems very like."

Milsy smiled. "Highness, Lady Garia brought from the lands of her birth a saying which basically states that anything which appears as magic will likely be a device or natural phenomenon we don't yet understand. What we do here uses a tiny dribble of the power of lightning. That can be switched on and off to make magnets which in turn can cause clock wheels to turn - amongst other things." She added, "If you would care to come to the Laboratory sometime then I can demonstrate to you some of the things we have been doing with electricity, and also show you our steam engine."

Eriana shook her head. "I do not know many of the words you use, Milsy, but then I do not know all the words a builder of boats might use either. Let it lie. You speak of Lady Garia, I have heard her name spoken of by others around the palace. Who is she?"

Milsy looked at Tarvan and pursed her lips. He shook his head slightly, though Eriana noticed.

"I regret that Lady Garia is a sensitive subject in the palace, Highness," Milsy replied after consideration. "She arrived here some months ago and the King and Queen look favorably on her and what she does here. I know that you will hear many rumors about her but most must be considered wild tales. I cannot say much more except that you should ask Their Majesties for more information."

Eriana stared at Milsy and then nodded. "If I must."

"If I may venture, Highness," Milsy added, "the fashions of Palarand suit you well. I see that you have also visited the Salon."

"Aye. I am not used to such luxury as this." That stare again. "Why are the gowns of day, as you call them, so short? Though I am comfortable, and the materials feel good against my skin, I am not used to showing so much of my legs, even though I am now wearing tights."

"I am told it is something to do with the weather, Highness. In the summer the lands of the Great Valley get very hot, so our short skirts allow the air to flow more freely. It is possible we get more rain here than you do in Einnland. Having a shorter hem prevents the skirt getting soaked by the splashing." She plucked at her own hem with a hand. "It also allows our legs to move more freely, Highness, which is useful when one is climbing ladders."

"Do all in Palarand climb ladders, then?"

Milsy smiled. "We don't all climb ladders, Highness. I do because I'm a guildswoman who has to reach things above doorways and many of the female servants in the palace will do so for cleaning duties."

At that moment a party of four guardswomen appeared from another corridor. They reached the group at the junction and stopped.

"Here is another reason why shorter, wider skirts are useful, Highness. If I may introduce some of His Majesty's guardswomen. Their attire permits them to better do their duty."

Eriana stared at the four in amazement. "You are warriors of this King? I did not know such things were possible!"

The leading guardswoman thumped a fist to her chest. "Your Highness, I am Danisa. These are Heldra, Sebra and Kenet. We are the first four women who have been admitted to the palace guard and we do not intend to be the last."

"In Einnland it would be impossible for any woman to become a warrior but, looking at you, it does not seem so strange. Can you use those swords you bear?"

"Of course, Highness, though we still require instruction. We are also learning spear work and the unarmed combat which Lady Garia has taught the men of the Guard."

"Lady Garia, again?" Eriana looked annoyed but then gestured at their skirts. "That is a curious garment, if I may say so. The interplay of colors as you walk is... interesting. How do you name it?"

"These? These are skirts made with box pleats, if it please Your Highness. They were made for us by Rosilda, the seamstress who also designed Mistress Milsy's suit there. She may tell you more, should you be interested."

"Ah? Perhaps there is more that I have to learn about His Majesty's Wardrobe." She nodded to the women. "I will not keep you from your duties... ladies."

Danisa thumped again. "Thank you, Highness."

The four walked off and Eriana turned to Milsy. "This Rosilda is a talented woman, then? In Einnland there is nothing like the clothing I see around the palace."

"I cannot answer for Einnland, Highness. Rosilda is talented, aye, but... you should know that many of her ideas began after conversations with Lady Garia."

Now Eriana was noticeably disgruntled. "Lady Garia again. Yet you can tell me no more."

"I regret, Highness, that I met Lady Garia only briefly before I came to the palace. Most of what I know is little better than the palace gossip."

A wild gesture. "Mysteries, more mysteries! This palace is stranger than I thought," she said. "If you would excuse us. Oh, when will our next meal be served? How will I know?"

Bursila bobbed. "Highness, if it please you, I have just come from the dining room to tell Mistress Milsy the time. If you would return to your suite and freshen up then you may make your way down to the Family Dining Room in good time for lunch."

"I will do so. Now, who will show me the way? The man who led us here has disappeared."

Tarvan, who had been keeping a low profile, spoke up. "Highness, if you would wait a very short time I will show you the way, since my own chamber is not too far beyond that. If we must summon another servant you would wait much longer. Milsy must needs go in another direction and she will need more time to ready herself for the meal than I will."

Tarvan got the stare followed by a nod. "As you wish. I will wait."

He climbed rapidly up the stepladder and disconnected the wires, then screwed the lid back onto the box before coming back down to join them. Milsy, meanwhile, had made a neat pile of their bits and pieces under the legs of the ladder.

"If you would follow me, Highness."

Milsy watched them go with a thoughtful expression on her face.

* * *

"What do you think of her now, dear?"

Milsy was in the royal sitting room with the Queen. They were attended only by their maids, so she could could speak freely.

"An interesting puzzle, Ma'am. I never met your daughters so I do not know how a Princess should act but I think she might be real." Her eyes looked a question at the Queen.

"So far as we can tell, dear, she appears to be a genuine Princess. She bears a letter from Duke Shabreth of Plif describing her arrival by sea and she has shown us a ring bearing the symbols of Einnland which the King thinks is genuine. Fulvin has examined it and he agrees." Terys paused. "It might be possible for somebody - say, somebody from Yod, perhaps - to create some kind of elaborate scheme to introduce her here, but it would require much organization and coin. We do not think that is the case."

Milsy grinned. "Like the scheme to get Garia out of Dekarran, you mean? If she is real, then..." Her gaze defocused for a short while. "Ma'am, there's something going on. I can't tell you what, exactly, but I don't think we're hearing everything she should be telling us."

"What do you mean, dear?"

Milsy grimaced. "I don't think she is actually telling lies, or anything, but there's something about the tone of voice when she says certain things. Only, I have no idea what that might mean."

Terys regarded Milsy carefully. "You have no personal interest in this matter, perhaps? Because of your friendship with Garia?"

"What? Oh, no, Ma'am! I wouldn't do such a thing! Especially now, since the wife of the next King is an important matter to Palarand. You have asked for my thoughts and I shall tell them to you honestly." A frown. "There was something else I noticed, something I'm not sure that she would do in front of you or the King."

"What's that, dear?"

"She treats her maids badly, Ma'am. Oh, I don't think she beats them or anything like that... someone would notice, surely? But she shouts at them, and at Master Gullbrand, when she thinks no-one else is listening. Her voice, at a distance, is somewhat piercing."

"Is that so? How do you know this, dear?"

"Well, Ma'am, you know that Tarvan and me are going along the corridors doing some testing? Well -" Milsy explained what she had seen and heard that morning. "Of course it's in her own language so I don't know what they are saying. Her servants, underlings she calls them, don't look very happy whenever I've seen them."

Terys looked disturbed. "You should know dear, that I have had reports of... raised voices, shall we say, from Dyenna after Eriana's visit to the Palace Wardrobe this morning. Perhaps there is something going on, something that might make her unsuitable as a bride for Keren." She fixed Milsy with a gaze. "You will, of course, keep these observations to yourself, will you not? You have kept confidences before, I would ask you you do so again."

"Ma'am? I grew up as a servant in Dekarran. I know when to look and when to keep my mouth shut. Should I keep watching and listening?"

"When you can, dear, but do not neglect your," a roll of the eyes, "many other duties. Keren and Garia will soon be returning home and we must ready the palace for their arrival. How is the suite next door? Ready for Garia?"

"Aye, Ma'am. I have separated all her attire from mine and the only things in there are all hers. The linen needs to be aired, of course, but otherwise I think that it is all ready for her when she comes."

"Very well. Keep your eyes and ears open around Eriana until then, we must learn as much as we can about our new guest, so that we can make a properly informed decision when the time comes."

"As you say, Ma'am."

up
237 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Tarvan just suggested a form

Tarvan just suggested a form of galvanometer the form he discribed though would have to be adjusted every time you move or rotate, Milsy's solution is really simple and for what they are doing as far as installation goes, probably more useful, especially for people not familiar with electricity who are installing clock networks or similar.

Edit: they will soon find (Milsy, Tarvan and clockmakers) that the dial is a particularly useful measurement display when dealing with a set range of possible values, if they want to display and possibly record information with potentially large numbers, there is only one way I can think of to do it mechanically, actually 2 but the second is more a variant of the first, an odometer/pinball machine rolling number display, still for gauges and caliper measurement, the dial is incredibly useful. I mean I could see a pressure and meter guage being made based off of Tarvan's galvanometer

Enjoying Milsy's Story

Thank you. You've likely said somewhere, but I don't remember and couldn't find it. How long are you planning for this series (What Milsy Did) to run. Will it end when Garia returns from Blackstone, or will it extend into the time that Garia returns to earth or something else entirely?

If i remember correctly

Until Milsy and Garia reunite from return from the Blackstone trip

Story length

I'm not sure exactly how much more I want to add to this.

I need to conclude it at a suitable point but I'll have to review (ie read) some of SEE to remind myself what happens to Milsy and Tarvan after Garia and Keren return.

Just like with that story arc, I'll probably jump a bit over the winter months, if I decide to take it to, say, Milsy and Tarvan's wedding.

Penny

Ok

If you extend it to around the wedding, which come to think of it, makes sense, it wouldn't be as abrupt and as we see, there is plenty going on in that time in the background of SEE, not really discussed much but alluded to on occasion, it might make sense to have some written correspondence involving Sethan from Blackstone, in part to connect JoB more, but also because he is involved heavily with gas development.

When Garia and Keren return, Milsy was away at the inaugural firing of a coke/gas works, and Tarvan was still away on business, in that sense, the only thing that concludes at that point is Keren and Garia's journey, which Milsy isn't a direct part of, no longer being a decoy, and far from just a decoy.

Lovely chapter :)

Again, another lovely chapter.

I am really enjoying Milsy

I am really enjoying Milsy and her story line. It is rather fun to see technology that was originally unknown by others coming into play and seeing how those people look at it or try to understand it. As said, "Magic", until you see that it isn't.

It is nice to see

Tarvan with some more useful ideas instead of it just being Milsy and Fulvin. Use of the dial in more general measurement tools will lead to the precision measurement tool industry, which will amongst other things, tighten and optimize manufacturing tolerances

The future of Palarand.

I'd love to see this kingdom grow for years to come - individual stories of the socio economic and scientific progress.
Not just for the abstract but for your wonderful storytelling ability.
Maker knows know you cannot get stuck in Palarand forever. Perhaps you'll start another story entirely. ;)

Eriana would find the steam

Eriana would find the steam engine interesting, and it would be a good time to upgrade it with bearings and a pulley, as well as the larger dynamo. She might not be technically minded, but the utility of the steam engine will be obvious to her,

Two legged cactus

Jamie Lee's picture

Eriana is a person who cannot tolerate being outside her comfort zone. All her life she has lived in one land, never experiencing anything different or new. Now she is given the chance to experience the new and different and she gets frosty if new is distasteful.

Milsy may not have caught the icy comments, but Eriana is really upset that Garia keeps being mentioned, even though she knows nothing about Garia or what she does at the palace.

While Eriana may try to hide her impatience, and how she treats those with her, the eyes and ears of the palace know differently. Were Eriana to eventually become queen, given her current temperament, people in the street would spit on the ground at her passing.

Others have feelings too.