Interesting Summer Vacation Part 1

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Caution: 

Audience Rating: 

Publication: 

Genre: 

Character Age: 

TG Elements: 

TG Themes: 

Permission: 

Interesting Summer Vacation Part 1

By: kokopo618

“Will! Get down here!”

I scrabbled out of my bed and to my door tripping repeatedly along the way. My dad always uses the same tone of voice no matter what emotion he might be feeling, so I may be in trouble or he may be congratulating me on my excellent performance as his son for the last 16 years, but given my performance it is probably the former.

As I am running for the stairs I can hear pop music coming from my sister's room. I don't really like pop music, to me it all sounds the same with indiscernible catchy lyrics to boot. I've talked to my sister about it she says I don't "get it" I've always looked up to my sister and she is probably right, most times I feel like I "don't get" a lot of things.

"What's up dad" I say casually, while wracking my brain for things I could have done wrong.

My dad, William Collins Smith Sr. is the very definition of a man's man he's tall, strong, confident, square jaw, short dark brown hair, he's a handy man, he knows how to do just about anything a man is supposed to know how to do. Unfortunately I inherited none of these traits from him, and I'm sure I not the only one of us that's noticed, he has never voiced disappointment of me but I suspect I am not what he envisioned when he imagined a son.

"Don't worry you are not in trouble" he said picking up on my fake casualness, "I just got off the phone with Carl Olsen, an old buddy of mine from childhood, who I haven't spoken to since you and your sister came along, anyway he is opening a lake side lodge resort and he doesn't have enough people booked for opening weekend and he doesn't want the place to look like a failure so he offered to send us up there for free"

"Wow that's awesome, are we going soon? Should I pack now?" I asked.

"Yes and no, we're going on Saturday and staying for a week but you don't need to pack the resort provides clothes and everything you could think of, no packing required."

"That seems a little strange," I say.

"I thought so to but all I had to do was put all our information in the computer and send it to them and our cabin should be prepared by Saturday, they advertise as the most all-inclusive lodge on Swan Lake."

"Okay, I'll go tell Katie." I say, heading up the stairs.

This sounds way too good to be true I thought as I headed up stairs to tell my sister, something has to go wrong. I don't like thinking this way I would like to be more positive, but I have not had the easiest life and negative thinking often seems more realistic to me. I shouldn't complain we're not dirt poor, I haven't had much tragedy in my life besides the death of my mom but that happened when I was very young, I don't remember much of her, but I am still unhappy a lot, especially at school, I'm not very popular in fact I'd say I'm actively unpopular I often think if I started talking in a southern accent people wouldn't bat an eye. I used to do volleyball and gymnastics until about 6th grade when it became way less cool for a boy to do that sorta thing, plus I didn't need to appear less manly than I naturally do. I am very small for my age shorter than all the boys and some girls, I wear baggy clothing to hide my skinniness, I keep my hands in my pockets and wear a size too big shoes to cover my dainty hands and feet, I try to go as unnoticed as possible and it works.

"Hey Katie?" I say while knocking on the door. I can still hear the pop music on in her room I can't tell if it's a different song or not.

"Yeah, come on in little bro" I walk in and see Katie reach for her phone to turn her music off, "sorry I know you don't like this music"

"Don't worry about it," I reply.

My sister is 21 years old, beautiful, and to put it nicely she enjoys the company of men, nothing I judge her for, of course, I respect the hell out of her, after mom died she took over a lot of responsibility and basically helped raised me, she cooks and cleans, and I don't think dad could do it without her, which is perhaps why she doesn't move out, but despite all her hardship she is one of the most positive people I've ever known, she is about the only person who can cheer me up when I'm down.

"So, what's up Willy," she says with a big dumb smile on her face.

I look to her side at her mirror where I can see the both of us. People have often said we look similar, we are both blonde and we have similar features unfortunately those features look much better on a girl than a boy. Full lips, a small nose, big doe eyes with thick long lashes. It's partly my fault I do keep my hair pretty long for a boy.

I tell her about the trip and the all-inclusive stuff and of course she is very excited.

"I can't wait for all the shirtless hunks," She sings.

"What about John, you know, your boyfriend?" I ask although I expect I know the answer.

"Oh he's done," she says.

"That was your quickest one yet."

"I'm going for a world record" she counters, smiling.

"Good luck with that," I say walking out the door.

Maybe this is just what I need, we haven't had a vacation in a while and I don't have much going on here, so maybe this will get me out of my slump, at the very least It should be interesting.

Author's Note:
Uh, hi there readers or no one, I've been a fan of the stories on this site for a while and got an idea for one I haven't seen on this site so I decided to write it. To be clear I am no writer, I do not know what I am doing, and I will make many mistakes along the way, but I believe trying new and stupid things makes life Interesting see what I did there, so wish me luck, anyway I hope you got some enjoyment out of this beginning chapter of William Smith's story, I know it's pretty short but the following chapters will be longer this was just the beginning. Oh, and feel free to comment whatever you want, If it's positive that's great, if it's negative I'll probably agree with you, again I am not a writer.

up
342 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

"Good luck with that,"

cool beginning and welcome to being a writer on BC!

DogSig.png

Thank you!

kokopo618's picture

Thank you, I've started part 2 and I already like it better. this story may be a slow build but I think the payoffs are going to be worth it, so stay tuned!

(Deep introspective quote that makes you think)

Great start

Your prose is easy to read if there are some mistakes they are small enough and the story interesting enough that I didn't notice any :)

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

You made me smile

kokopo618's picture

Thank you for your kind words, and nice interesting pun if that was intentional. :)

(Deep introspective quote that makes you think)

Totally agree

with the first two comments, Your story is easy to read and gets you interested pretty much straight away, Interesting concept for your story, I like the idea you take no packing away with you , Having said that unless Will wants to spend the next week looking like his sister perhaps he should consider taking a small bag with a few essentials with him ... We all know that's not likely to happen though.... I just hope William Collins Smith Sr has deep pockets ... Something tells me he might need them ...

Kirri

Thanks Buddy!

kokopo618's picture

Thank you and of course it's interesting, it's in the title :) In all seriousness I've started part 2 where actual plot and character stuff happens so if you think this Intro is interesting get ready for part 2, dropping later today.

(Deep introspective quote that makes you think)

Thanks

kokopo618's picture

I'll try, I'm working hard to make the second part make sense, be interesting, be kinda funny and a little sad, and your words of encouragement really mean a lot to me.

(Deep introspective quote that makes you think)

Welcome aboard.

Welcome aboard.
Will wait to see if this is the Swan Lake I know in Montana or is it elsewhere?

Welcome

Welcome to our family. I can wait to see where you take the don't pack everything is in the cabin. Kudos on a great start with the cliff hanger end of chapter

Thanks For the Welcome

kokopo618's picture

I'm trying to take the story in an interesting direction, you'll find out where I take that specific plot element by the next part. Thank you so much for reading and commenting, it means a lot.

(Deep introspective quote that makes you think)

Love the brother's name

Great first story!. Interesting idea, having a resort provide the clothing. Want to bet Willie gets girl's clothes?
My only criticism is reread it before posting, and check for capitalizing Names. I have someone else beta read mine, then as I get ready to post it I read it again. But I'm a little over cautious, I guess.

Karen

Thanks!

kokopo618's picture

Thank you for reading. I have problems concentrating so rereading my story to check for mistakes is hard for me, but I'll try harder. Thank you for your constructive criticism I appreciate it.

(Deep introspective quote that makes you think)

Yeah, too good to be true

Jamie Lee's picture

It's sad that the only measure of a boy pertains to the sports he plays and his ability in those sports, and the girls he dates or might be bedding. And how handy he may be when repairs are needed.

Anyone whose watched gymnastics knows it isn't any easy sport to master. Of all the sports, it's likely the hardest because of the physical demands necessary to perform well.

And volleyball, not the game played in gym class, but the game where the ball can really hurt a person who falls asleep on the court. It is fast paced and requires a lot of stamina.

A camp where the visitors don't have to bring anything? Hmm...something sounds fishy, real fishy.

Others have feelings too.

It is sad

kokopo618's picture

Will's character is largely based on a kid I used to know, he used to play volleyball, but had to stop because there weren't enough other boys that would play so they cancelled the whole thing. Volleyball was of few things that made this kid happy, he was small, feminine and had a high pitch voice, so naturally every other boy called him gay, or girly or whatever. I tried being his friend and sometimes it worked, but most times he just wanted to be left alone. He moved away soon after I knew him, he was a nice kid, a good kid, and I really hope he found a way to happiness. Sorry for getting sad and super real, Thank for reading and commenting.

(Deep introspective quote that makes you think)

Actually, you are doing a lot

Brooke Erickson's picture

Actually, you are doing a lot better than many folks who've been writing longer. No spelling or grammar errors jumped out at me and the dialogue and thoughts seemed reasonable.

I *will* note that the "clothes will be supplied" probably telegraphs that something will go wrong and he'll wind up in girls clothes. But that's an old and "honored" trope so don't sweat it.

Looking forward to finding out just what is going to happen.

Brooke brooke at shadowgard dot com
http://brooke.shadowgard.com/
Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world
"Lola", the Kinks

Thank you.

kokopo618's picture

Well, this is a website for specifically TG stories, so it was always obvious something had to happen. Thanks for reading!

(Deep introspective quote that makes you think)

I will find out shortly as

WillowD's picture

I will find out shortly as part 2 is already posted. But I'm guessing that "clothes will be supplied" might mean he gets to be uniformed staff.

"Uh, hi there readers or no one"

WillowD's picture

I see many thousands of "no ones" have read your story. You have me hooked and I'm about to read part 2. I'm sorry I missed this when it was first posted.

I just read the first part of your Spider Man story, which was just posted. You have me hooked on that one too. Alas, unlike this story, I will have to wait for you to post part 2 before I can read it.