Abandoned Child Chapter 13

Printer-friendly version

Joe and several family members watch Jessie and Mary as they slept in ICU. The specialist managed to remove the second bullet from Jessie’s spine, but felt that she was going to be crippled for the rest of her life, the first bullet damaged the nerves that allowed her to control her legs. Joe felt helpless watching his wife and their niece. Maggie had gone home with his sister. Joe had stayed to watch over Mary And Jessie.

The Captain of the State Police had shown up to a statement about who was responsible for the incident and why they had been targeted. Joe told him everything and who was responsible for the killing of his best friend, the State Police Officer and the injuries sustained by his wife and niece. Joe never left their side. They kept Mary in ICU for three days and on the fourth day moved her to a private room. Joe asked that when Jessie can be moved from ICU, that she be moved to her aunt’s room.

Mary wakes-up and finds her husband asleep in a chair next to her. She had all sorts of machines hooked-up to her. She was hurting all over and starts to cry. She had seen the light go out in Charlie’s eyes, she was going to miss her best friend.

“Joe!”

Joe wakes instantly and looks at Mary, he sees she is crying. He takes a tissue and cleans away the tears away from her cheek.

“Joe, how are the children?”

Joe looks at Mary with sadness in his eyes.

“Mary, I have good news and bad news. The good news is, Maggie is fine, she’s with my sister. She was protected by Jessie’s body. The bad news is, Jessie is still in a critical condition and she may never walk again. She used her body to protect her little sister from the gunfire, but she took two bullets in her spine. They had to call in a specialist to remove the second bullet, but it was the first bullet that damaged her nerves that allow her to feel her legs.”

“Where is she now Joe?”

“She’s in ICU, it’s still touch and go with her. She died four time, twice on the operating table.”

“My poor niece, she’s been through so much.” Mary squeezes her eyes trying to hold back the tears treating to leak out. Joe squeezes her
hand.

“Joe, he killed Charlie.”

Mary breaks down in tears, he has been her best friend for years.

“I know, I’m going to miss him, he was like a brother to me.”

“Did they get the people who did this to us?”

“Yes, two of them are dead and the other two are being watched by the Texas Rangers. Charles is still alive, but being watched by them. The
West Virginia State Police are working with the FBI and going after the club itself.”

“How can someone be so cruel to children? Adults I can see, but we’re talking about children.”

Mary cries as she holds Joe’s hand.

Joe holds his wife’s hand and let her cry. First, she loses her sister, then her best friend and now her niece won’t be able to walk again. Joe let
her get it out of her system. He was feeling the same way right now, angry and wanted to kill Charles himself for what he has done to his family.

Mary cries herself to sleep and Joe lets go her hand to go and check on Jessie. The nurses have gotten used to Joe being around as he goes to check on her, they had to put Jessie in a medically induce coma and was being watched.

Jessie’s doctor didn’t want to risk losing Jessie again, he had lost her twice on the operating table and didn’t want a repeat.

“Your aunt woke-up Jessie and expects you to pull through for her sweetheart, you’re special to her.”

Joe brushes some of Jessie’s hair aside.

“Also, you don’t want your little sister to grow up without her guardian angel, do you? You’re her guardian angel, Jessie, she’s going to need
you, I’m going to need you, to help keep an eye on her and protect her.” He leans down and places a kiss on her forehead.

“She’s going to pull through Mr. Harthworth, she’s young and from what I heard a strong kid.”

“I know, but she’s been through so much and her father is the one responsible for the condition she’s in. The bastard is still alive, but under
police watch.”

“Don’t worry, if he’s here under police custody, he’s not getting out.”

“I hope not.”

Joe looks down at Jessie and hopes she pulls through, he goes to get a cup of coffee looks out the windows as rain comes down and tears
leak from his eyes. The tears are for his niece and for his wife, they are also for his best friend, he was handling all the burial arrangements for Charlie till his family could show-up.

Three days go by and Jessie’s doctor wakes her from the coma. Jessie opens her eyes and tries to focus them, because everything looks so blurry to her. She turns her head to the side and sees her Uncle Joe standing next to her.

“Well, it looks like she’s going to be okay.”

Jessie turns her head to the other side and sees a doctor.

“Jessie, I’m going to check your vitals, okay?”

She nods her head.

Joe watches as Doctor Harrison checks her over. The doctor notes she is a little slow in her movements, but thinks it is the drugs they had
used to put Jessie in a coma.

“She is doing fine, but she is still waking up, give her some time before asking her any questions.”

“Alright, Doctor Harrison, thanks for taking care of Jessie.”

“Your welcome, Joe.”

The Doctor leaves the room. Joe looks down at Jessie, he could see she was still out of it some.

Jessie still felt like she was floating, she could see her uncle standing next to her, but her tongue didn’t want to respond, she concentrates a
little harder.

“Maggie?”

“She’s fine, Jessie, you protected her.” Joe sits down next to her bed.

“Where’s Aunt Mary?”

“She’s next to you, you two are sharing a room together.”

She turns her head to the other side and sees her aunt in the bed next to her.

She turns back to face her Uncle.

“I saw mom, she said it wasn’t my time yet.”

“Well, she was right, you have a little sister to help me and your aunt raise. She needs her big sister to help her and watch over her.”

“I can’t move my legs.”

“I know Jessie. One of the bullets you protected your sister from, damaged your nerves. The doctor said you might be able to get partial use
back.”

Tears stream down her cheeks as Joe holds her hand.

“It’s going to be fine Jessie, you have me and your aunt to help you.”

He squeezes her hand and grabs a few tissues to wipe her eyes, she falls asleep holding Joe’s hand.

Edited By: Dave

up
341 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I Thought The Police Had Killed Charles?

jengrl's picture

so I was confused about how the worthless POS could still be alive and on the run . The FBI , Texas Rangers and West Virginia State Police shouldn't stop until they wipe the entire gang off the map permanently. I would certainly hope there is a miracle that would restore Jessie's ability to walk again . After everything this poor girl has been through , it would be a travesty that she would spend the rest of her life in a wheelchair because of her lowlife scum of a sperm donor ! I hope the story gets better for all of them . It's a shame that a good man like Charlie died at the hands of these scumbags as well as Jessie and Maggie's mother .

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Charles

Charles isn't on the run. He's in the hospital under the Texas Ranger watched. The West Virginia Highway patrol and FBI are working together to get the rest of the gang.

garfieldwritingsf.jpg
If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.”
― Toni Morrison

heart warming

It is a heart warming to hear that Jessie and Mary have pulled through.

As for the worthless P.O.S of a father the needle isn't good enough for him. I think the firing squad would be better for him and his whole gang.

Wolf_0.jpg

Honey and ants, or...

Jamie Lee's picture

Joe has to relieved Mary and Jessie are still alive, though both have experienced life changing events. But the thoughts going through his mind would get him put in jail, not something Mary, Jessie, and Maggie need.

Charles needs to recover from his wounds so he can experience the full measure of punishment he's going to face. Once he might have faced a rope, or if in other hands, him smeared with honey and buried up to his neck in an ant hill. Or wrapped in a wet cow hide and left out in the sun to be squeezed to death. Of course having each arm and leg tied to four different horses and said horses run in four directions would work as well.

Charles needs to pay and pay big. He is looking at prison time, and spreading information about going after kids would cause him problems. But is that punishment enough, after everything he did to his wife and children and just did?

Others have feelings too.