Being Different Isn't So Bad Chapter 10

Printer-friendly version

Rebecca looks over towards August and smiled as she watched the expression on her face change as they flew. Rebecca remembered the first time her father had taken her up in an airplane. She felt like a bird flying. They were going to go into town and take in the sites and visit a few casinos.

“Rebecca, I’ve never been to Reno before. What are we going to do?”

“I thought you might like to visit the automotive museum. So, we can go there first, after checking in at our hotel.”

“Which one are we staying at?”

“We’re staying at the Atlantis Casino Resort Spa. I booked us a room there for two days. Me and my father use to stay there for week when we came into town for special events or to sell some of our builds. The manager at the automotive museum is giving us a special tour, since my father and I restored a few of the cars there and donated them to the museum.”

“So, that’s why we are going, besides me wanting to go. Does he have some work for you?”

“Yes, but that’s not why we are going. I knew you liked old cars and it’s one of the best collections around. I was thinking maybe in a couple of months we go and visit Las Vegas and see if we can meet the Count himself. He’s a nice guy and the work his shop puts out is amazing. I wouldn’t mind stealing a few of his employee’s and have them work at the airfield.”

“I wouldn’t mind the head paint guy working for us. His paint and art skills would like great on some of the old airplanes you have. I wouldn’t want Horny Mike working for us. He’s just too weird.”

Rebecca had to agree with August on that statement. As much as she likes watching the show and seeing their finish project. Horny Mike, was just too weird for her taste as an employee. If he pulled half the stuff he did on the show at her shop, she would have fired him by now. Danny has a lot of patience’s in dealing with him.

“Alright, lets prepare for landing. There’s my friends landing strip.”

Rebecca radio’s ahead letting her friend know she was landing.

August watches as Rebecca brings the plane they came in down onto the landing strip. Her knuckles were white from her squeezing her
hands as they touched down. She lets go of the breath of air she had been holding in.

Rebecca just smiles as she taxis the plane up to the hangar and shuts down.

“We’re you scared August?”

“No, I knew you could do it. I was just trying to realize that.”

Rebecca just laugh and heads over towards her friend.
George had watched as Rebecca lands her aircraft. He remembered the first time he met her. She had flown in under her father’s instructions. He didn’t know what to make of her at first, but once he saw how much Charles loved and cared for her. He grew to like her and watched as she grew from a shy little girl to strong independent woman. He didn’t know the other young lady with her.

“Uncle George it’s been so long.”

Rebecca hugs her father’s oldest friend.

“For you too squirt. What brings you to my neighborhood?”

He returns the hug.

“I’m picking up some transmissions for a Thunderbird. There’s a junkyard not too far from your place that is willing to sell me three of them. So, I figure I would stop in and see you while I was here for two days. Oh, let me introduce my younger sister. Her name is August Trenner. I adopted her, sort of.”

“Nice to meet you sir.”

George looks at the young girls and shakes her hand.

“Nice to me you as well, August. Please call me Uncle George like your big sister here.”

“Yes, sir.”

“Have you girls eaten?”

“We had breakfast before we left, Uncle George.”

“Breakfast is nice Becca, but it’s around one o’clock right now. I know it takes four hours to fly here. I thought we could go out for lunch, my treat.”

“Of course, Uncle George, I wouldn’t mind some lunch and I know my little sister here could use some lunch.”

“Great, I know a Tex-Mex restaurant, you girls are going to love.”

George helps the girls with their bags and they load up in his F350 and drive towards the restaurant.

“Uncle George, do you still have your old pick-up I can use while I am in town?”

“Unfortunately, no Becca I sold it. However, You girls can drop me off after we eat and you can use this truck. I have your Aunt’s car I can use till you return the truck.”

“Thanks Uncle George.”

“You’re welcome sweetie.”

They arrive at the Tex-Mex restaurant and go inside. August couldn’t believe the way it was design. She takes her cellphone out and take a few pictures of the place so she could show people back at the airstrip.

Both George and Rebecca just shakes their heads as they are escorted to their table. Water is brought over for all of them and George orders a beer, while Rebecca and August order a sweet ice tea each. After George’s beer is brought over, there waitress takes their order. August orders a fajitas platter, while Rebecca orders a big California burrito and George has a Molcajete which had thinly sliced shrimp, steak, and chicken, sliced avocado, chorizo and red salsa served in a hot stone molcajete. Served with rice, salad and tortillas.
August eyes goes big when she sees George’s plate when it arrives.

“I think the next time we come back sis. I want to try that dish.”

“Here, try some of mine.” George puts a small potion on august plate.

“Thanks, Uncle George.” As she tries a bite of it.

August makes a low moaning noise when she tastes the food.

“I think you broke her Uncle George.”

Rebecca had a smirk on her face as she cuts into her huge burrito and takes a bite of it. She loved how it was cooked and the ingredients inside the burrito. They eat their lunch and make small talk. Afterwards, George pays the bill and the girls leave a good size tip for the staff and head out.

“Thanks for lunch Uncle George.”

“You girls are welcome sweetie. So, what hotel are you staying while you’re here?”

“The Atlantis Casino Resort Spa.”

“Ah, that was yours and your fathers favorite place to stay at Becca.”

“Yes, sir and I thought August might like it as well.”

“Well you girls have fun on your mini-vocation. I’ll make sure your plane is refueled Becca and don’t bother offering to pay for it. I owe your
father. So, this trip is on me.”

George hugs both girls when before he gets out when they get back to his place. He stands and watch as Becca turns around and heads to downtown Reno and to their hotel and check in. After checking in and getting their things to their room. They head off to the car museum and take a tour of the place. August couldn’t believe some of the cars and Rebecca points out the ones her and her father restored and gave to the museum.

Rebecca and August take several pictures of some of the cars that match what they had in storage back at the airfield. This gave Rebecca some ideas on how they should look after being restored and what parts were missing from the car. Also, she should be able to find most of the parts.

“Too bad we can’t play the slot machines sis.” August was looking at one as they walked by.

“I know, but I work hard for my money and I wouldn’t want to waste it on gambling.”

“Not even once? Just to play once and see if you win or lose?”

“Not even once August. The games here and the slots are always in the house favor. Why give someone your hard-earned money?”

“For fun and a chance to win more money.” August had a playful look in her eyes.

“Come on, let’s go have some dinner and then go swimming for a while.”

“Okay.” August skips along next to Rebecca.

The two of them have a light dinner and go swimming afterwards.

up
225 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Nice Sister!

It's so cool that Becca is showing August what she had with her dad. Glad she didn't make a donation at the slots. I'm sure that I left plenty for the house (BG). Wonder what kind of plane she flew in?

Santacruzman

Becca's plane

She brought the Cessna 208 Caravan

garfieldwritingsf.jpg
If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.”
― Toni Morrison

Cool plane.

I have quite a few jumps out of 172 & 182's. Thanks.

Santacruzman

Private as commercial

Jamie Lee's picture

Big difference in flying in a private plane and a commercial one, especially if it's the first time. And you're sitting in the co-pilot's seat.

Tex-Mex food can take getting used to if you're used to good Mexican food. And yet it can be so delicious.

One arm bandits are not the players friend. They have a tendency to take as much as they're given.

Others have feelings too.