What You Can't See, Can Hurt You Chapter 1

Printer-friendly version

“Jerry, could I have another sweet ice tea please?” Cassandra looks over towards the bar.

Jerry turns towards Cassandra when he hears her voice “sure thing Cassie. How long are you going to be here tonight?”

“How late is it? Because I have a feeling that I’ll be getting a visitor tonight.” Cassandra hated the fact she was born with a special gift.

“It’s around three right now. Do you want your usual for dinner?” Jerry didn’t mind Cassie staying. He had a soft spot for the poor girl. He had learned about her past and the fact she didn’t have any family.

“Actually, I was going to try Steve’s Irish Fried Cabbage & Sausage tonight. I’ve heard good things about it.” Cassandra loved the new cook
Jerry had hired for the pub. The Irish foods Steve added to the menu were excellent. Jerry had checked with her first to see how the foods would go over with the normal patrons and would it increase his business as well.

Cassandra didn’t mind using her clairvoyance ability to predict how well the pub would do. That’s how she had found out that she would have a visitor later tonight. The visitor wasn’t her monthly period either. The surgery she had to become a girl didn’t include the monthly visitor every genetic girl goes through every month. If it wasn’t for her dumb ass father forcing her to use her abilities to bet on horse races and to cheat in a poker game. She wouldn’t have lost her eyesight to his bragging while he had been drunk.

Her father didn’t like the fact his son wanted to be a girl instead, of a boy. He couldn’t help it he looked a lot like his mother. He only knew a little about his mother because of what his father told him. Cassandra’s eyesight had been taken as an example. The people her father had won against tortured her to force her father to tell them how he did it. They had used a butane soldiering iron to burn her eyes out. They took her left eye first to prove they meant business. When her father continues to resist, they took her right eye.

The following week while they were being transported by the US Marshals to the courthouse by their SUV. An armor car came from a side street and T-boned them. The armor car killed her father and one of the marshals and seriously injured her and the other marshal. Which left her to survive on her own. She had to leave New York City, because the people who killed her father were out to capture her. They wanted to use her gift to increase their profits.

So, she got on a bus after having her SRS surgery and came down to Canton, Georgia.

She bought a little Ranch Bungalow with what money she had left from her father’s winning to live in. She had met Jerry on her first visit to his pub and he had taken a liking to her. Jerry always came by to check on her and her neighbors checked on her as well. Not that she had many. She spent most days at Jerry’s Pub listening to the patrons that came in or listening to music. She had nothing to keep her occupied during the day. Cassandra didn’t like being home by herself, unless she had things to do at home. Sometimes, she would take walks around downtown before heading to the pub.

Cassandra had to go to the lady’s room. She stands up and taps her cane in front of her as she walks across the floor heading towards the restrooms. She knew how many steps it took to get there. She knew how many people were near her and who was coming to the restroom door, before she grabs it and walks in. There were times she missed her sight and would trade her gift to have her sight back.

Once Cassandra is done doing her business. She heads back out and over towards her table. As she got near, she could tell someone had sat down at her table.

“Excuse me, could you please leave my table? I believe I was sitting here first.” Cassandra normally didn’t mind people sharing her table with her, but this person had a bad vibe to them.

Raul looks at the blind woman that had just spoken to him. He had seen her walking around town and here inside the pub as well. She wasn’t bad looking. She dressed kind of plain and conservative. She had fair skin and long straight golden brunette hair. She stood about 5ft. tall and had an hour glass figure. Her breast was a nice melon shape. She had pink wraparound sunglasses that covered her eyes. The lens were dark enough, that you couldn’t see her eyes.

“I don’t see your name on it darling. If you want, you can sit on my lap if you are dead set on sitting here.” An evil smile appears on his face.

“No thank you. However, if you don’t move in the next five minutes. Jerry is going to come from behind the bar and toss you out on your ass.” Cassandra had peeked and saw a glimpse of what was going to happen to this guy if he didn’t move soon.

The other choice was Officer Paul Wolf arresting him. Paul was a good cop and always checked on her.

“Really, darling? You think…” Raul never got a chance to finish his statement as he felt someone grab him from behind and carry him to the door of the pub and toss him outside on the sidewalk.

Jerry had seen and heard Cassandra ask Raul to leave her table politely and waited to see what Raul was going to do. When he heard Cassandra inform Raul that he would come over and toss Raul out of the pub. He knew she had seen it with her gift.

“Next time, you should just leave Cassandra along. Everyone that visits this pub knows that is her private table.” Jerry turns around and heads back inside to check on Cassandra.

“Thank you, Jerry.” Cassandra was picking her chair up off the floor.

“No problem, Cassandra. Next time someone gives you a hard time. Come and tell me right away, okay?” Jerry didn’t want anything bad to happen to Cassandra. He never thought to ask her if she was the one for him, but he had a feeling that she might be the one.

“I will Jerry. Thank you.” Cassandra smiles at him as she sits down in her chair and reaches for her ice tea.

Cassandra enjoyed the sweet ice tea Jerry sent over to her after finishing her third one. Someone had selected a few different tunes ranging from Enya to Clannad and a few other Irish tunes. Cassandra knew that later in the evening someone was going to come and ask her to do something she doesn’t want to do.

She has already seen how dangerous the rejection was going to be for her. However, Cassandra has seen the people that would be coming to her aide as well. She won’t have to face the challenge alone this time. The one thing she can’t figure out is the mysterious person that will be providing legal help to her. That person is related to one of the people that will be helping her with this problem. The first of the people that will be helping her with this problem is transgender like herself. Except, there is something flashy about them. When she sees this person, it’s like she is looking at a raging fire out of control.

Cassandra places her order at 6 o’clock and enjoys her dinner. The meal itself turned out extremely good. For desert, she has her usual. Which was vanilla ice cream with hot fudge poured over it. Just as Cassandra finishes her desert and the dirty dishes were removed from her table. She feels a tingling sensation. Cassandra glances up and watches the front door of the pub. She could feel the person she is waiting for will walk through any minute now. Even though she couldn’t see them, she would know who they were.

Three couples come walking in and then a gentleman dress in an expensive business suit walks in behind them. He stops and pulls a picture from his coat suit pocket and glances down at it and then raise his head up and start to scan the crowd in the busy pub. He spots the young lady he was looking for looking directly at him. She was sitting at a table all by herself not too far from the bar. Her wraparound pink sunglasses made her stand out.

He walks over towards her as he observes everything going on around her. He notices the bartender keeping a close eye on her. He also notices several other patrons at the bar keeping a protective eye on her as well. He figures he is going to have to be careful in here and how he approaches her. Too many people were watching her. He walks over towards Cassandra’s table.

A smile appears on Cassandra’ face as she felt the air in front of her disturbed.

“Good Evening Mr. Ludlum, please have a seat.” She motions to the chair directly across from hers.

“Thank you.” Mr. Ludlum sits down in the seat directly across from Cassandra. He looks at Cassandra as he sits down.

“It seems the information I was given about you was true. Do you always surprise people like that?” Adam Ludlum had read the report given to him about Cassandra Elizabeth Cross. He didn’t believe it at first, till he saw the video of her being tortured and then her father giving the information the torturer wanted to make them stop hurting her.

“Depends on the situation. If it is something of importance like this meeting is between me and you, then yes. If it isn’t, I don’t bother surprising them like I just did. I’ll make this meeting short for you, so you can tell your superiors my answer. It’s no. I won’t work for them. My gift isn’t for other people to use to hurt other or to topple governments. I don’t even use it to make myself rich. That’s not why I was given my gift. If they planned on continuing down this path they are on and they try to force me to do as they want. Then the outcome will not be to their liking.” Cassandra takes a sip of her ice tea.

Adam just sits quietly and listened to what Cassandra was saying. He didn’t like what he was hearing. Right now, he wanted to kill her.

“Why won’t they like the outcome?” Adam wanted to know this bit of information.

“Because, all they have worked for and what they are planning on doing is going to end very badly. How exactly, I’m not sure. However, it will end badly for them.” Cassandra just smiles at him. She had seen his death at the hands of a fiery bird

“And you’re sure about this? All because you are turning their offer down?” Adam couldn’t believe what he was hearing from her.

“Yes, but it’s not just because I am turning their offer down.There’s a blind woman with a sword and scale that feels their time has come.” Cassandra shivers as a deathly feeling over comes her. Something bad might happen and it felt that it might occur soon.

She also knew not to trust this guy. He was bad news and something else about him didn’t feel right. She saw that person that seemed to be a fire burning out of control looking for him.

up
281 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Cassandra does indeed have a

Cassandra does indeed have a very special gift of "sight". The sight to look into people and see if they are either good or evil.
Ludlum fits the evil part very easily, as we learned in a previous story.

looks like a .... storm

I looks like Mr. Adam Ludlum is back to cause T.R.O.U.B.L.E. and he's going after someone with a gift. I bet if the one that had him the first time got wind he'll pay for his missed deeds.

Wolf_0.jpg

With a butane lighter ! I

With a butane lighter ! I hope those people were caught and fed through a chipper, FEET FIRST.

A very intriguing story, Waiting for the next posting.

Karen

Chipper

mountaindrake's picture

is way to fast use a meat grinder slower and the remains are easier to dispose of with less chance of discovery. Have a good day and enjoy life.

Have a good day and enjoy life.

Found a hook in my thumb

Jamie Lee's picture

This story is a fish hook in my thumb and me without pliers.

Someone with Cassandra's ability isn't likely to be caught unaware after what previously happened to her.

To her senses, Adam smells worse than a landfill after a rain. Maybe instead of trying to have Cassandra work for them, Adam should take the freely given information and go back to his masters.

Others have feelings too.

What? I didn't leave a comment?

WillowD's picture

I've read this before. I'm surprised I didn't leave a comment.

So I'll leave a comment now. A spoiler, in fact. This is a GREAT story. Enjoy.

The person with a raging fire

Samantha Heart's picture

Well now that can only be one person that I can think of right now... Sasha Wolfheart.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.