On The Run Part 7

Printer-friendly version

Darit looks over towards the two FBI agents. Agent Pride looks at the scenery as they traveled down the waterway. He couldn’t fault the kid for traveling this way. It made it hard for someone to sneak up on you while traveling by boat.

“So, what is next? Do we go back to your office or do we stay on the boat?”

Darit didn’t know if she could trust being on the streets.

“We planned on getting you into protective custody. That way your Russian traffickers can’t get their hands on you. Since, you’re already on the boat. This might be the best way to protect you. This boat is registered under another name and you keep moving around. Which, makes it difficult for people to guess where you might be. Do you have a phone?”

“Yes ma’am.”

Darit hands Agent Emma the satellite phone he bought. She uses it to call her supervisor and give her an update.

“Do you want to try and steer the boat agent Price?”

Darit had seen how he wasn’t comfortable with a child at the wheel.

“If you don’t mind.”

He walks over.

“I don’t mind. Just follow the route on the Gps unit has laid out for us. Also, watch the signs and you should be okay.”

“Okay, thanks.”

Agent Price had to admit that the kid knew her stuff. Darit sits across from him and watches as they go down the waterway. Emma was still on
the satellite phone talking to her supervisor at the back of the boat. After about thirty minutes she hangs up and comes back up to Darit and
her partner.

“Well, I have good news and bad news. The good news, we are going to stay on the boat. It’s the perfect hiding spot because the Russians that are after you would have a hard time trying to find you and we can always drop anchor out here in the bay if we needed to. Also, keeping you disguise as a girl is a good idea as well. The second thing is, we need to do something about that tattoo they put on your right shoulder. That is going to be a dead giveaway. There are two different ways we can do it. The first is to hide it in another tattoo or cover it up. The second option is to have it lasered off. The laser takes a few passes to remove it and we would have to wait between each pass. The bad news partner, since this is the perfect hiding spot, we need to blend in. The kid is right about us sticking out like a sore thumb. So, the next time we dock. We need to change our appearance. Which means we have to go into town and do some shopping.”

“How about the Russians that are currently looking for me?” Darit looks towards Emma and Lucas.

“We have another group of agents going after them in New Jersey. Lucas and I have been assigned to protect you. Which means we are our
going to be staying on-board the boat Lucas, so might as well get used to it partner.”

“So, where is our next port of call?”

“Morehead, N.C. we can blend with the rest of the tourist and boats.”

Darit had put some thought into it.

“Is there a place we can stop before we get there to change out of our clothes?”

“We can stop in Manteo or Wanchese. Manteo might be better, because were closer to Manteo.”

“We could take a cab back to pick-up our car or have another agent pick it up.”

“Why don’t we do this. I’ll go and get our car and we dock here in Manteo for a few days? We can stay in this area for a few days and move
onto the next set of docks.”

“Okay, let’s do that for a while. While were out let’s get a few camera’s so we can watch the boat and send a copy of this video you gave us to the office. The problem is the nearest field office in North Carolina is in Charlotte. That’s at least a six-hour drive from Manteo. We are two hours from the Norfolk field Office.”

Emma looks towards her partner.

“By the time we dock, it will be too late to drive up to Norfolk.”

Darit was watching Emma and Lucas.

“We still have to wait for a cab to pick you up as well.”

“Is that how you been getting around while in port by cab?”

“Yes, ma’am or by bus. I’ve been using the cash I found to pay for the fuel and the dock fees. I bought a pre-pay debit card to pay for
the groceries and clothes.”

Darit was proud of herself for the way she has been doing things.

“Alright, when we dock. We’ll call the cab service and go rent a car to use. The Russians probably have someone either watching our car or
have it bugged. Call the Norfolk office and have someone meet us at the border of North Carolina and Virginia.”

“We need to stop and get fuel before we dock and find out which slip is available. Pull up to the dock and we can fuel up and pay for a slip.”
Lucas follows Darit’s instruction. Darit gets off and heads inside to pay for a slip and to pay for the fuel, while Emma shows her partner how to fill the boat up. Darit comes back out and boards the boat.

“What name have you been registering the boat under?”

“The one I found down below along with all the paperwork for the boat.”

“Smart kid. Here let me dock the boat Mr. Pride.”

Darit walks over to take the wheel.

“All right kid.”

Lucas turns the boat over to Darit and watches as she docks the boat and starts tying off the line.

“You’re getting good at this kiddo.”

“I’ve had a lot of practice. A guy I met at my second stopped showed me the proper way to tie a boat off and do a quick release if I need to
haul tail in a hurry. I’ve met a lot of different people while going down the waterway. I’ve come to trust those people.”

“Here’s the number for the local cab company. I got it from the clerk inside the gas station.”

Darit hands Emma the card.

“Thanks kid.”

She uses her own cell phone to call the cab company. Since, this marina was privately owned. They were going to have to meet the cab at the gates.

Darit looks at the two agents once Emma gets off the phone.

“We need to stop and get you two some different clothes. You're drawing attention to us.”

Darit had already notice some of the other boaters looking at them.

Emma notices the same thing.

“I have to agree with the kid, partner. We stick out like a sore thumb.”

Lucas was noticing people glancing their way.

“Yay, I think you're right.”

The three of them leave the boat and start walking up to the gate.

“Why did you pick a private marina?”

“Because you have to be a register guest to enter here. No one can go aboard the boat while were gone, unless they have business here or
live here. If someone is here to see us, we have to escort them down to the boat.”

“That is smart. You’ve learned a lot since you set sail.”

Emma and Lucas both look at Darit.

“I’ve had too. There’s been to many close calls.”

By the time the three get to the gate the cab was waiting on them.

“Where to folks?”

“The nearest clothing store please.”

Darit answered for Emma and Lucas.

“No problem.”

The driver sets off and takes them to a nearby shopping center and let them out. Darit pays the cab fare with the cash she brought with her
and gives the cab driver a tip. Emma, Darit and Lucas do some shopping and grab a bite to eat as well. They arrange to pick-up a rental and to meet up with another agent from Norfolk tomorrow.

The rest of the day they enjoy spending some time off the boat. They locate a tattoo parlor to cover up Darit’s tattoo. Emma acts as Darit's
mother to give permission to the tattoo artist to do the work. The rest of the day they act as tourists to throw any one that might be following them.

up
292 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I feel a lot better for Darit

I feel a lot better for Darit, now that she has two FBI Agents with her on the boat and around her at all times. Maybe between the three of them, they will be able to work out a good plan on how to go after the bad guys and their upper level leaders.

why would you be stupid

why would you be stupid enough to go back and get your car which could either being watched or have a tracker planted on it. what do they need it for if they are travelling by boat. if they need supplies i would think they could get another fbi office to deliver them.

Expences

Why is Darit still paying for anything, the FBI should be picking up the tab. Guess the Federal Bureau of Imbeciles strikes again.

Guess they don't want that evidence that bad!.. Then again I wouldn't trust the FBI to find a hooker in a whore house, no less protect them... lol it's laughable.