Lady in Waiting Book 2 Part 5

Printer-friendly version
Book 2

Lady in Waiting Part 5

Lady in Waiting 3.jpg

Charlotte has now found the Army totally by accident and is luckily with a detachment of the 95th who are patrolling the mountains looking for the French spy.

In this and future episode’s of Book 2 I have borrowed very heavily from the excellent ‘Sharpe’ series of books by Bernard Cornwell which describe the times, the country and the life in the army perfectly.
I have avoided using any names in those novels but in a few places I have used Major Sharpe as a cameo character.

I was awoken next morning by someone tapping the sole of my boot remembering where I was my eyes flew open to see Captain Miles standing over me.
It was still dark though there was a sliver of light on the horizon signalling that dawn was not too far away.
I got out of my coarse blanket and rolled my bedroll and blanket up ready to carry the Captain handed me a hunk of black bread and some cheese telling me, “We move in 15 minutes your mule is loaded and one of my men will lead it - you stay by myself and Sarn’t Gilroy if anything happens to me listen to him – understood M’lady!”

The M’lady was somewhat ironic so I answered, “I understand major I will obey orders.”
He looked at me speculatively answering, “We’ll see M’lady; we’ll see”

“Please Captain I have one thing to ask you.” I stopped speaking and he nodded saying, “And that is?”
“Please call me Charlotte as my friends do. I will react faster to my name than I would M’lady and please tell Sergeant Gilroy the same.”
He gave me that ‘look’ saying, “William always told me you were special and I thought it was love talking. But I have the feeling that you are – though again we’ll see.”

Where I was concerned the ending of all his sentences with ‘we’ll see’ showed me that he did still not trust me.
I finished my meagre breakfast took a sip of water then adjusted my bedroll canteen and pistols about my person Sergeant Gilroy came up and said, “If I may miss; you’ll find it easier if you put your bedroll on your mule like the rest o’ us.”
I smiled my thanks and did as he suggested then we were off heading roughly northwards.
I knew from William that the 95th were renown for their marching and the pace set was hard though it seemed to be ‘normal’ for them.
We marched until near noon then we found some shade under a grove of trees.
I was managing to keep up but it was costing me dear my calf muscles were screaming I was very hot and sweaty my face was streaked with dust that the perspiration had caused to run and I was breathing heavily.

I slumped to the ground pleased for the shade; food was sent around consisting some cured sausage, cheese and bread to drink tepid water from our canteen’s, which tasted like the finest wine.
Captain Miles sat next to me quietly eating then he said, “You’re doing well but a word or two of advice miss.” “Please call me Charlotte,” I asked yet again looking him straight in the eyes.
“By God” he breathed, “You are a stubborn one! I’ll start again Charlotte.” I smiled sweetly at him in thanks as he carried on, “Water will be hard to find for a day until we cross the Duro so drink sparingly.” I nodded then he produced two small round pebbles saying, “When you get thirsty suck on one of these they will ease your thirst. Also I would suggest you put your two pistols in your pack on the mule as there are quite enough of us to guard you.”

We sat dozing in the shade until the heat of the day started to recede then orders were shouted and we were off again. My legs screamed in protest and my body ached but I pushed onwards buoyed by the thought that soon I would see my William.
We continued until just before nightfall when we made camp. One of the forward scouts returned carrying a small deer he had killed which ended up as our supper.
Then once again I slept like a baby until just before dawn when the whole torturous process began again.

As I marched following the platoon Sargent Gilroy dropped back marching alongside me commented somewhat grudgingly, “You’re doing well miss keep it up.” Then he quickened his pace before I could thank him but I was proud of those few kind words but at the same time slightly disturbed as he easily quickened his stride telling me that this must be a steady marching pace and that there must be a quicker pace.

Just before nightfall on the second day we reached the River Duro it was quite wide and looked deep.
Scouts were sent up and down stream to look for a crossing point when they returned it would seem that there was nothing close by so the decision was made to cross where we were we would camp tonight then in the morning make the crossing.

Next morning after breakfast (bread and cheese with water to drink) we made ready. After filling our canteens and water skins making sure that the equipment was firmly fastened to my donkey.
All of them made sure that their rifles were protected from the water and I was told to walk with my donkey; finally with the minimum of fuss we started across.
First 10 men were sent to secure the opposite bank while the rest covered them with their rifles.

Then as they waved telling us all was clear the rest of us crossed while they covered us.
While the water was cold and quite fast flowing it only reached to my chest.
As I crossed I took the chance to wash my face clean of dust – I would have given anything to strip off and wash my body but I had to be content.
When we reached the other side the soldiers made their rifles ready for use and soaking wet we set off again marching towards Vimioso.
I noticed that my calf’s didn’t start screaming at me until the noon stop also my body didn’t hurt as much as the previous days.
Even in my sheltered life as a Lady of quality I was an active girl I walked a lot around our estate, rode out every day and generally was very active. This had conspired to make me slender but with a wiry strength.

We started climbing the foothills up to the town of Vimioso, which Captain Miles told me was close to the Spanish border.
Even though we were climbing the pace never slackened and once again my legs were screaming for relief.
That night we camped in a cave, which sheltered us from the cold night air as we had ascended a long way into the mountains.
Earlier that day one of the soldiers had shot a mountain goat – this was our supper along with foraged wild plants and herbs the resulting stew was delicious.
The captain spoke to me after supper, “This will be the last night we can cook; for tomorrow we will be close to where your maid is being held.”

“Friend” I corrected him.

He heaved a sigh commenting, “Why do you always argue?” I was taken aback answering, “I am not arguing Captain Miles merely correcting.”
The shook his head and wondered out loud, “I wonder if William knows what he is marrying. And speaking of him we should join up with him tomorrow then I will hand you over to him!”
“Sir you make it sound like I was a burden! I have tried my hardest not to slow you down.”
He gave that ironic smile and nodded saying, “And you have done well – you must have done as Gilroy takes some impressing especially by any member of the gentry.”

I felt ridiculously pleased that such a hard man as Sergeant Gilroy thought I had done well.
Then he carried on, “We still don’t know where your m.... friend is being held so I am reminding you now take heed of anything I, your fiancé or Gilroy tells you – it just may save your life!” He looked me straight with those knowing piercing eyes and finished, “Understood?”
Somewhat cowed I lowered my eyes and responded, “Understood captain.” He chuckled answering, “Why is it I don’t believe you?”
Then standing up he left me, just as I was about to argue! Frustrated I got my bedroll out and settled down to sleep.

The next morning as usual someone gently kicking the sole of my foot awakened me.
Much to my surprise it was Sergeant Gilroy as usual it was dark but in his hand was some of last nights stew and a piece of bread.
Gruffly he said, “Some stew miss - you’ll need it today as we will be pushing on.” I thanked him and the wonderful aroma of the stew assailed me. Eagerly I devoured it and cleaned the bowl out with sand. This gave me enough time to pack my bedroll and take a quick sip of water then we were on our way.

The route was uphill and soon my legs were complaining but I gritted my teeth and resolutely carried on. Noon came and went with a twenty-minute rest then we continued on – now my legs were really screaming for relief.

Late in the afternoon one of the forward scouts returned to report that the old mission was in sight ahead and appeared to be deserted so we continued until we were positioned above the mission.
Out of nowhere the trooper complete with my horse appeared and reported to Captain Miles what was said I couldn’t make out but still I was reunited with my trusty horse.
The cry of an eagle rang out twice I looked into the sky Gilroy chuckled and whispered, “That was Thompson miss - we signal using bird calls – good poacher Thompson - well he was till he got caught.”
There was no response so the captain sent Gilroy and three others to look at the mission. I was given the task of looking after my horse and mule, which were, tied together this freed up all the troops.

The scouts returned saying that the mission was indeed deserted so the captain gave the order to advance.

This was the first time I had really seen these troopers at work; they advanced in a crescent formation spread a gunshot apart thus with the exception of the two men at the end of the crescent everyman was covered by two others.
They spread out and literally merged into the landscape – where a few minutes ago there had been 25 men now there was myself and the horse’s before he merged into the land the captain suddenly asked, “What is your favourite bird Charlotte?”
Without thinking I answered, “The Skylark – why?”

“When you hear the Skylark sing three times start walking down the trail towards the mission – NOT before understand?”
I nodded sensing that an argument was not welcome as these men were now all business.

I stood there rubbing the horse and donkey for what seemed like and age then I heard the lilting song of the skylark after the third time I set off walking.
As I approached the ruined mission I observed that there were about 50 men gathered there – my William had arrived! Though I couldn’t distinguish him, as every man looked the same.
With some excitement I approached the two of them in time to hear him say, “I have a special task for you William.
We have in our midst a gentle lady we found on the road and would like you to look after her.”
William looked stricken and answered, “But sir are you sure? We are patrolling the mountains.”
By now I was hopping from one foot to the other with excitement at seeing my beloved.

William continued, “We can’t afford to be hampered ................... by.................... a ............woman” he stopped speaking and with a note of amazement looked at me fidgeting and gasped, “Charlotte? Is that really you?”

I took my straw hat off and shook my hair loose. He looked amazed looking at Miles he gasped, “How?........ When?......... I mean Good God what is she doing here?”
Gilroy gave me a shove as he took the reigns of the animals and taking my cue I flew across to William smothering him with kisses much to his embarrassment and everyone else’s amusement and my delight.

As camp was made Captain Miles recounted how they had found me. This reminded me I had killed two men and I hoped William would not think any the less of me.
What did William look like after all it had been 3 years since we had last seen each other?
First he was broader and had a scar along his left cheek ending above his left eye. His face was a deep mahogany coloured by the sun he was unshaved and unwashed (as we all were).
Like the rest of the troopers his dark green uniform could have been any colour as it was faded from the sun, sweat and weather but his sword and rifle were immaculate.
Also he had the same air of confidence and yes menace about him as Captain Miles this was a side of him I had never seen before.
I noticed that when he gave an order it was carried out without a murmur.

Soon I was sleepy and got my bedroll out to settle down to sleep. Captain Miles and William continued to talk way into the night I remember hearing the captain saying, “You are a brave man marrying her ladyship - god she is strong willed and argumentative!” I heard the smile in Williams voice as he answered, “I told you she was special – but she is also beautiful, caring, brave and very loyal.”

There was silence for a while then the captain said, “And she has big ears! She is no more asleep than we are!” Then directed at me he said, “Are you m’lady?”
I had been caught eavesdropping so guiltily I turned over glaring at the captain retorting, “My name is Charlotte I’ve told you before – and how did you know I was awake?”

“God I feel sorry for you William, now go and embrace your woman as tomorrow will be a busy day!”
William came over and stroked my cheek whispering that it was a dream come true and that he loved me.
Emboldened by this I whispered would you lay your bedroll next to me and hold me?
He looked startled and said, “But what would your mama and brother say?” With a sultry smile I answered, “They are not here.”

Then the captain’s voice quietly said, “William please do as she says I need to sleep and she does speak sense!”
I was really embarrassed and whispered, “Does he hear everything?” “Yes I do” came the retort.
William lay his bedroll next to mine I opened my blanket so he could lie next to me.
The feeling of his arm holding me was wonderful I turned round so I was enfolded in his arms and whispered very quietly, “I do love you.” He hugged me very close and whispered back, “And I love you dearest Charlotte - But what am I going to do with you? Your family will be worried.”
“Hmmmmmmm” I retorted, “Kiss me.” His lips touched mine and my body responded. I happily drifted off to sleep in the arms of my betrothed.

Next morning when I was awoken I was alone I though that yesterday had been a dream until I saw that the person tapping my foot was my own dear William.
Today it was different as it was full daylight as usual breakfast consisted of bread and cheese with water to drink.

Historical note: - In the military there are various military steps or standard paces in this explanation I have mentioned the marching steps of different armies mainly for interest.
Most of the armies below were part of the Napoleonic War, the exception being the USA, French Foreign Legion that was raised in 1831 and the Spanish Legion, which were raised in 1920.
One step occurs on each beat. A pace is the length of one step (assumed to be 75 cm or 30"); do not confuse this use of "pace" with the ancient Roman unit of length (2 steps or 5 Roman feet = 148 cm or 58").
• Quick March: The basic mobility. 120 beats/min. In the USA this is called "quick time".
• Double March: The basic run. 180 beats/min. In the USA this is called "double time".
• Highland March: Regiment-specific pace, 80 beats/min. when wearing kilts.
• Rifles March: Regiment-specific pace, 140-beats/min. Like double-time, this is a rapid trot, with the rifle usually carried at the trail, not on the shoulder.
• Slow March: Ceremonial pace, 60 beats/min.
• Parade March: Usually seen combined with music, 120 beats/min. in the UK (except the Rifles who march at 140bpm), ~120 beats/min. in the USA and Russia
• French Foreign Legion Pace: 88 beats/min
• Paso Legionario: Specific march used by the Spanish Legion 144 beats/min, embodiment of their "espíritu de marcha".
• Typical German speed is 112 bpm.
For mechanical efficiency, opposite arms usually swing with each leg while marching. British and Commonwealth armed forces keep their arms straight and swing the hand as high as the shoulder while forward and in theory to the level of the belt when backward. US Marines swing the arm six inches to the front and three inches to the rear while US Army Soldiers swing the arm nine inches to the front and six inches to the rear. Some European armies bend the arm during the swing.
Most foot drill instructors believe these differing practices are efficient i.e. maintain rhythm for long route marches. US troops usually march long distances at "route step" which does not require them to maintain a specific pace or length of step. Some South American and Eastern European countries march on parade with the stiff leg earlier famous as the "goose step" of German troops. German and Scandinavian military bands and units swing with only the right arm, 90 degrees straight out. Some troops (like the Royal Swedish Lifeguard) swing with their left arm. This is because they carry their rifle in their right arm

up
85 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you for your breakdown

Thank you for your breakdown of the various marching steps and paces by each country in modern times and those used during the time this excellent story is placed in. Very interesting indeed. I really hope that Charlotte and William can get her friend back before she is physically harmed or even, heaven forbid, killed.