The Spanish Flower Chapter 9

Printer-friendly version

The first thing Renata feels when she wakes-up is numbness and a tightness to her body. Her throat felt dry and she felt so weak. She manages to move her head to the side and notice Jesse sitting there next to her sound asleep. He was holding her hand in his as a smile appears on her face. She squeezes his hand and closes her eyes as she drifts off to sleep again.

The next time she wakes up, she notices that Jesse was still holding her hand and watching her.

“Well, good afternoon sleepy head.” A smile forms on Jesse’s face when he notices Renata’s eyes opening again.

Renata just smiles at him and winces when she tries to move. Jesse notices the painful expression on her face.

“I wouldn’t try moving to much Renata. You took a round to your stomach and to your lower region.” Jesse had been informed that Renata would had to have reconstructive surgery because of the damage that the bullet had done to her lower region. Since he knew she wanted the surgery any way, he gave the okay for it.

“No wonder I hurt so much.” Renata tries very hard not to move any more. She glances around and notice her room was decorated with flowers and a few teddy bears. Two of the teddy bears were dressed in drag.

“Your friends came by. I didn’t think you would appreciate me not telling them. Someone named Lady Bird came in and wanted to know how you were doing. She said your drag mother was concern about you. I should admit Renata, when your friend Jessica Moon came to see you. All the male nurses stopped to stare at her. Even the police officers outside your door were amazed by her looks.”

“That’s Jessica for you. She’s already married to an accountant. So, you guys are going to have to back off her. Her and her husband love each other very much.” Renata remembers seeing the two love birds one day. They were heavily involved with one another.

“Don’t worry Renata, I don’t think anyone will be chasing after her. They met her husband when he came with her to see you.” He had been intrigued about the couple. Jessica seemed to be genuine concern about Renata.

“Oh, I have some good news for you. Jessica said a talent agent came by and wants you to get it touch with him when you recover. He heard you sing and thinks you would be great at it professionally.” Jesse had the guy checked out to see if he was legit.

“That’s sounds like a plus among all the bad things that have been happening to me. Can you hand me some water please?” Renata was feeling thirsty.

“Sure.” Jesse gets up and gets some water for Renata in the sterile hospital wrap cups.
Jesse walks back over and hands the cup to Renata.

“Thanks” Renata winces when she reaches for the cup.

“Here, let me help you.” Jesse brings the cup to Renata’s lips and tilt it just a little.
Jessica takes a few sips.

Jesse watches and stops after she takes a few sips.

“Thanks.” Renata watches as Jesse sets the cup back down.

“So, we’re you able to capture that person who shot me?” Renata wonders why she was shot.

“Yes and no. We tracked the car down and found it abandon. We’re still searching for the driver and gunman. But, don’t worry the hit wasn’t on you. It was the guy behind you. He was a member of a gang that has been moving into the area lately. You just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.” Jesse knew the local police department was dealing with it. They had taken him off the case, because of how close he was to the victim.

“Well, I hope you find the asshole and put two rounds into them like they did me.” Renata hated the fact she had been shot.

“You know, if I didn’t know you were fifteen years old. I would say you were a lot older.” Jesse was still amazed on how mature Renata was at times. She had her moments when her true age showed through.

“Actually, I just turned sixteen a few days ago when we got back from Mexico. Did you hear from the lawyer I hired to handle the emancipation paperwork?” Renata wanted to just be able on her own.

“No not yet, but I did tell your case worker that you wanted to be on your own. She said that she’ll talk with you later when your recovered. Now, I know your doctor is going to come and check on you and check on your wrappings. I need to go and make a phone call. So, I’m going to leave you alone for a while with your doctor.” Jesse stands up and leans over to place a kiss on her forehead.

“See you in a little while.”

Renata watches as Jesse leaves her hospital room. A few minutes later her doctor comes in with a nurse to look at her wounds. The doctor was gentle with her, but it was still painful as he checked the packing from her vaginoplasty surgery. He also checked the wrappings around her stomach from that surgery.

“Well, everything looks good. In a few days, we’ll take your packing out and you can start with the dilators. Unfortunately, you’re going to have to stay here at the hospital for a couple of weeks to recover from your stomach wound.” Doctor Youngster wrote a few things on a pad.

“I’m going to cut back on your pain medicine some. From what your blood pressure has been showing, it’s a little too strong for you.”

“Thanks.” Renata watches as the nurse and her doctor leave the room.

Renata closes her eyes and just wonder how many more times she’s going to be shot. She’s been shot in her shoulder, grazed by a bullet during the shootout when her and Jesse escaped from the truck they had been traveling in. Then she got shot in her stomach and groin area. She already had nightmares from getting shot in her shoulder. Now, she gets to add the recent shootings to her nightmare.

What was life trying to tell her? Why did things keep happening to her? Renata just sighs and lays there staring up at the ceiling wondering what will life bring her tomorrow.

up
191 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

It Seems That Both She And Jesse..

jengrl's picture

are probably going to have to enter Witness Protectiion because the cartel won't leave them alone! She hasn't been able to avoid being on the wrong end of a bad situation ever since she was thrown out on the street for being trans. If anyone deserves peace, it would be her.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Hopefully, all the bad luck

Hopefully, all the bad luck she has had up to this point will now fade into the past. I can't see Renata being able to go and sing anywhere for a long time, because the Cartel is certainly going to be out and about looking for her; and in all likely hood also Jesse. They both need to get away and become hidden. New names, new ID, new lives; everything that the Witness Protection Program offers. Wonder if they will be placed into it, or at least Renata. Jesse being a Texas Ranger, he is simply doing his job and the Cartel knows that I am sure.

No WitSec

For Jesse. He's a cop, it's all part of the job. We know everyday we walk out the door we might not be walking back in. Not my problem anymore, but some things don't change. And him being a Texas Ranger just ups the ante. Unless I miss my guess, he'd rather die than be a coward. Rangers die with their boots and hat on, not hiding somewhere.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin