Atalanta's Story Continued: Reaching Home Chapter 3

Printer-friendly version

I have a few minutes and I thought I'd post this chapter early while the posting procedure is fresh.I'm not sure what time I'll have going forward. As always Ashleigh thank you for your editing.

I thought I might try another image for this chapter. I'd appreciate if you all will tell me if you you'd rather I keep one image or change up occasionally to meet the action.

In this chapter Atalanta and her crew meet both the fugitives and the wolf pack.

5731895 female warrior.jpg

Chapter 3

Abe and Drake had halted their horses for me at the place where I had dropped down from the mountains. I passed them and led the way skirting the rocky slopes to the north until we came to a lee where the boulders and trees met to form a fortress that buffered the elements. Looking at the sky I declared a halt.

“Let’s give our animals a breather and consider our plan to capture these fugitives.” After giving our animals water and a hatful of oats we sat down on rocky outcroppings that doubled as chairs. Munching my sandwich I watched Abe and Drake as they interacted with each other and the realization hit me; in a male dominated occupation being a female would limit friendships. Then again maybe it was more of an age related distinction.

“Coffee?” I asked producing the thermos that Charley had filled for me and passed it around to fill metal cups that were quickly produced.

“Guys I think we should go over a plan that I believe will work,” I stated, holding my cup in my palms.

“Well,” Drake interjected, “I don’t know how we can plan without knowing where the fugitives are holing up at.”

I spoke into my coffee cup, “They’re up there,” I indicated an area north and higher up.

“That’s a big area,” Abe noted.

I nodded. “I saw them this morning through my glasses. They’re on foot, moving slow, and they are close to exhaustion. They were up there,” I pointed higher up on the rocky face, “but moving lower. I think if we keep going in the direction we’re going we ought to intersect their trail this afternoon.”

Abe looked and up followed the terrain with his eyes, “It seems reasonable, but it’s still a big area to look in.”

“Not if we have them looking for us too and we’re advertising our location.” They both gave me looks like I had grown another head. I explained my plan.

Their objections were the same as the one that Manny had named.

“I don’t like being the bait either.”

“What about one of us,” Drake protested.

“I believe they’ll feel that they can intimidate a girl, where if it’s a man they might decide to shoot first. Besides,” I smiled evenly, “hearing manly voices from the forest to give up will have more force than mine would.”

They protested later as we broke camp and then intermittently later that afternoon as we were starting up an evening camp. Our camp was located at the edge of the forest backed up against the slope that led down from the mountain face. The camp looked out on three open sides leaving the forest as the only option with cover and a classic chokepoint.

The embers of daylight were quickly dying and shadows danced among the trees mixed with the flames leaping from the fire. The smell of food cooking, coming from a Dutch-oven suspended from its handle over a hastily made tripod, drifted on the wind carrying its aroma higher. The horses were contained by a makeshift corral with only one tent erected and the extra gear hoisted in the trees.
The guys were about ready to slip into the cover they had picked out during the day covering approaches to the camp.

“You guys know what to do?”

“Yeah we set the trip wires and come in if they haven’t shown by 10,” Drake replied wrinkling his nose. Abe studied the tree line.

“If it doesn’t work we’ll get a good night’s sleep and go hunting early,” I replied cheerfully.

I ambled over to where the horses were picketed speaking briefly to each and patting a neck or scratching an ear before lingering with Gray. “Sorry girl, I’ll bet you wished you were in a nice warm stall about now munching on some oats.” Turning her head she looked at me nodding her head in agreement.

I walked back to the fire lifted the lid on the pot of stew and ladled some into a bowl and then set it on a fallen tree to cool while I busied myself at gathering firewood and banking the fire. Gray stomped her foot and snorted. Her ears began to twitch. Moving deliberately I removed my wide brimmed hat and shook my head letting my red tresses fall free.

Dipping the ladle into the pot I made a production of smelling the steaming ingredients. Without looking around, I spoke softly my voice carrying in the sudden quiet, “If you boys are hungry put down your weapons and come on into the light.”

Silence greeted my announcement.

“Oh, come on boys speak up; I know you’re out there my horses have alerted me. You’re not afraid of a little girl, are you?”

I smiled as I heard slight rustling behind me, “You boys don’t listen too well. I said you could have some food for your weapons.”

A raspy voice answered, “And who’s going to make us missy, you?”

“I got good hot coffee too.”

Seconds ticked by as silence lengthened broken only by their soft shuffling footsteps drawing closer.

“Hunger and cold does a number on a person’s ability to think. Reflexes slow; vision becomes blurred and muscles weak,” I noted in a monotone as I turned from the fire, “and you boys make a fine target in the light.”

They stood shoulder-to-shoulder looking at each other then at me. They were dressed in dirty, torn clothing and sporting scraggly beards from days on the run. As I turned, my badge gleamed in the firelight through the opening in my duster. Their pistols were pointed in my general direction.

Opening my coat wider I place my hand on my pistol and called, “Abe! Drake!”

Their answers came seconds later, “Yeah.”

I nodded in satisfaction at their positions, “You guys are in a bad way,” I began looking at each one in the eye, “there’s a rifle lined on each one of you, but,” I grinned baring my teeth leaning forward feeling my eyes flashing, “I’ll kill you before they can pull the trigger. Now drop them damn weapons or use them.” The shock of my declaration moved like a living thing as I watched their eyes lose focus interrupting signals from the brain. Their pistols slipped from numbed fingers and fell to the ground.

Abe and Drake moved quickly to search and control the fugitives before allowing them to eat while I refilled my coffee cup and sat down on a stump beside my tent to watch while my companions lowered our gear and set up another tent.

Finishing their chores, Abe and Drake came and sat down beside me studying the men. Sensing an unspoken question, “Out with it; what is you want to know?”

“Would you,” Abe asked me.

I knew what he meant as I looked up and off into space seeking confirmation, “Yeah I would have killed them.”

Before they could respond a lone mournful wail lifted up into the air echoing against the bare rocks and timber. Seconds later another voiced joined and then a third lifting a chorus to the skies. At the timbers edge glowing eyes glittered across the open space at our camp.

A wolf pack had found our camp. We had nothing to fear from the wolves unless they were starving and if these were the same pack I had seen this morning they were well fed. Wolves were territorial so I doubted these wolves were strays. Despite being well-fed a pack of wolves wouldn’t pass up a tasty meal and a large pack could strip a horse clean leaving his carcass as a grim reminder.

“They’re after the animals,” Abe and I echoed. I walked to the horses making soothing sounds and began talking in a low tone to calm them. Abe followed me over to the corral to lend his efforts to mine. Horses were high strung and a natural prey of the wolf and if left unchecked the wolves would worry them until one broke loose. Then the wolves would stalk him until he was exhausted and easy prey.
They were becoming increasingly agitated as the howling increased. Besides, an the unspoken agreement existing between humans and their horses was that we needed them if we were to meet up tomorrow with the rest of the crew.

I peered into the darkness seeking the alpha leader of the pack. Suddenly outlined against my mind I saw her; set apart from her noisy mates on her haunches and calmly watching. Abe raised his rifle.

“No, not yet,” I turned to him placing my hand on his shoulder and calling back to Drake, “Watch the prisoners.”

“Well what are we going to do,” Abe wanted to know.

I grinned at him. “Negotiate a peace treaty. Watch my back but be sure and don’t shoot me if it goes south.”

Stepping away from the horses I began a measured walk across the icy patches of the meadow angling away from the barkers towards the large lone brindle colored body perched on a boulder. Her black muzzle turned and she fixed her glowing eyes on me. I stopped in the middle of the field and turned slowly to face the shadow that rose to her full height.

Wolves are fierce and deadly fighters but they are also cunning and prefer to hunt in packs tilting odds in their favor. The wily pack leader knew nature was a tough and relentless taskmaster and recklessly endangering her pack this early in the season wouldn’t bode well later on. She felt a common bond between form; transference of purpose between her and the human female. She climbed down from her perch to pad silently and stopping at a distance to study the human.

I watched the great black shadow of the wolf as she silently jumped from the rock to meet me at the center of the field. I ignored the menacing forms that lined the trees trusting that Abe had my back and the great she-wolf had control of her pack. I felt my eyes grow with intensity and purpose as we faced each other across an ancient battlefield. The choice was hers and she chose easier battles to fight and turned to her right to glide beneath the trees. The howling ceased as the wolves disappeared one at a time into the wilderness until one was left in a show of bravado before he too left.

I sauntered back into camp, “What the hell was that all about,” Abe shouted at me as I got to him and the horses.

“A truce,” I replied scratching Gray between her ears and then walking back to the fire warming my hands.

“What did you do out there; I’ve never seen anything as crazy as that.” Abe joined us at the fire adding his thoughts to Drake’s.

“We reached an understanding.”

“Yeah,” one of the prisoners sneered, “what understanding?”

“That they were free to leave and find easier prey,” I responded mildly.

“What do we do about them,” Drake jerked his thumb at the prisoners, “how do we divvy up watch?”

“You have leg irons,” I asked Drake and when he nodded added, “Get a pair and chain their inside legs together.”

When the task was finished I handed each a blanket and an assignment, “You boys keep the fire going or freeze and,” I warned, “don’t even think of any tricks; I’m a light sleeper and Gray will keep her eye on you too.” On cue the filly turned to look at us and whinny barring her teeth in the act.

“Are you serious?”

“Where are they going to go,” I asked with a sweep of my hand, “they wouldn’t get 10 feet without getting tangled up. Even if my horse would let them they can’t ride like that and if they want to stay warm they’ll keep the fire going.”

“But,” Drake protested, “They could jump us as we leave our tents.”

“They could,” I agreed. “It looks to me we have two choices; handcuff their hands behind their backs and one of us gets up every couple of hours to keep the fire going. That’s the hard way,” I warned. “The easy way is if you boys agree to play nice. So which is it going to be guys, the easy way,” I smiled, “or the hard way,” the smile left my face.

The two prisoners exchanged glances before the older man gulped, “We know when we’re licked: the easy way.”

“There you go.” I grinned turning cheerfully to my companions, “Straight from the horses’ mouth.”

“And you believe them!”

“They don’t have many options but if it makes you feel better sit up and watch them, or before you leave your tent have them give you a shout out.”

Drake grumbled but he relented seeing the truth.

“See you guys in the morning,” I called out opening the flap on my tent.

Hope you guys enjoy this chapter. I know I'm biased but I get excited every time I read this chapter.

up
302 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Reputation

Atalanta is establishing a reputation. Stories, tales are going to be told about her. She is starting to be larger than life. Pretty sooner she will become a part of folklore. *Atalanta - The Myth, The Woman* It is a bit amazing that not only can she do all these things, she knows she can do them. I'm beginning to wonder just what she is, an avatar, a reincarnation? Or something else. I'm starting to wonder if she might be a low-level probability warper, like Jinx. Her "luck" just seems to be too good.

I know its a bit early, but I think whoever wins her favor and her hand is going to have to be one hell of a person.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Atalanta was/is

a minor Greek goddess but I sort of mangled her history....well not her history. Her namesake was a legend but she is not an Avatar nor a reincarnation but possibly a mixture of the two.It is this unknown quality that has Mrs. Carson on edge, like most bureaucrats she wants a label and Atalanta is hard to label. One hint is her name, Atalanta means "equal."

She knows but she doesn't know how she knows but she has to trust that her transformation was purposeful and that it will become clear over time. She is just on the cusp of her 15th birthday.

Who knows if or who it takes to win her hand, in the myth she helped her suitor win the race that won her favor but he was instrumental in her banishment. As was her father but who in this tale has been killed.

Which Reality?

I knew you had said Atalanta was part of the Greek Gods Pantheon, but I didn't know if that was for real in the outside world or only for real in the Whateley world. In the avatar/reincarnation comment I was trying to subtly imply that Atalanta didn't fit into those neat boxes, but I guess I was too subtle.

When I said woman in the mock title I was figuring Atalanta is going to be around for the long haul, thus there would be plenty of opportunity to add to the inevitable stories about her and what she does. And in the finest tradition of hanger fliers and fishermen worldwide those stories would grow with the telling until they reached mythic proportions.

Again, I didn't know that there was an Atalanta in the pantheon, especially one that you might be modeling her on, so I figured the love of her life would have to be someone that could keep up with her. Presumably one invented for that purpose rather than a canon figure. Besides, as author you are not bound by the Greek myths, you can develop her character any way you want.

This was just an exercise in guessing and secondguessing what might happen in the future based on my understanding of the character you are developing. I miss a lot of references in these stories because I'm not familiar with events from other stories that are not Whately. For instance there seems to be some kind of running gag in canon that refers to some horror genre. Since I don't have the slightest bit of interest in anything horror-related I don't understand the winks and nudges embedded in the stories. Any story here that has horror as a key word gets ignored.

Its the same with your stories here. I don't know anything about the Greek or Roman gods nor do I feel inspired to run out and read all about them. So things like Atalanta being modeled on some Greek god just blow by over my head. Sorry


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Atalanta never started out

as Whateley fan fiction; it started as a private response for my eyes only to a story by Julie O. I've always liked her stories but this character tripped my buttons. At some point that character morphed into what became Atalanta .My first Atalanta story had her traveling to Bikini Beach that my computer ate. That taught me the wisdom of flash drives. And the folly of using a cheap writer's software that made recovery worse. Both the Bikini Beach and the second Whateley story was written before her origin story.

This is the last story that is set in the Whateley universe proper though there will be some material referenced in the future I expect.

I don't feel you were too subtle but I've never quite grasped what other people's definition of an Avatar is.Mine is pretty simple; you have somebody in your head that you talk to. Reincarnation is the exact person reanimated, neither are true for her but they are semblances of both.

Yes I do plan to write a lot more Atalanta stories so she will become a grown woman.

Atalanta was a minor goddess that happened to get on the wrong side of Artemis and she and her lover was banished to the skies to pull a chariot as lions through the skies.I figure that was extreme punishment at finding her lover and that she needs redemption. So who knows how that will turn out.

I'm not much on horror or dark stories either unless is satire but the horror genre Whateley is based off I believe is HP Lovecraft. I guess that is what your are referring to.

You don't need to know or want to know Greek or Roman gods to enjoy Atalanta stories as it is not central because many myths are universal. Atalanta (the greek one) was known for her running skills and the Navajo have their myth of a running woman and this Atalanta likes to run. It is the backstory that I need to know but you don't need to. The Owl is a symbol for a certain Greek goddess but the owl is also associated with many cultures and myths so take the owl for what he does in the story.

I don't if my response helps or hurts hopefully it helps.

Katie

Yep, she's badass

and she knows it. I really like how the story goes from gentle to threatening with such a seemly seamless transition. I think there must be a lot of work and skill necessary to accomplish that feat.

I appreciate that you like

her. There is a lot of time spent maybe too much because in some ways she and I have bonded. I'm disabled so I have time but I'll play scenes, imagine settings, replay it in my mind and go to bed and sleep on it. At other times it seems to wring me dry and I sleep it off. Other times it energizes me.

I have bought kindle books to help with my writing but the best medicine to develop skill is that you guys like and appreciate it. A good editor helps.

Atalanta certainly has a very

Atalanta certainly has a very special way with animals. I am left wondering because of her abilities, both in dealing with animals and her tracking capabilities if she is not a re-incarnation of certain Greek and Roman goddess who is known as "Diana, The Huntress."

You are right about "Diana"

but the original Atalanta was a hunter in her own right. The Calydonian Boar hunt was epic and she was rumored to be the only woman to sail with Jason and his long and dangerous search for the Golden Fleece. That's not to say Diana is not involved. She is but I don't want to give away the game before its time.

Atalanta and the wilds

Yep; you'v got my seal of approval for this chapter.. ; )
I enjoy her whisper' powers as much as her inter-reaction with the wilds.
a

alissa