Smoky Corners 2-NC: Any Way the Wind Blows

Printer-friendly version

Any Way the Wind Blows
(c) 2017
Haylee V

Our dear Ms. Dorothy finds herself once again transported to a very magical place- only this time, it's not Oz, and the wizard is a short, bespectacled Asian shopkeeper we all know and love
=========================================
It was early Sunday morning, and Dorothy Colleen was doing some light dusting of her many civic trophies before preparing for church. She had been awarded yet another citation for her bravery and heroism for saving the life of one of the city's most prominent citizens: Mark Richards. Winded by her activity, she slumped in the chaise lounger, beat. Another job well done!

Suddenly, she was accosted by a wind most foul, and found herself in the direct center- the eye, if you will- of an evil-looking cyclone. Quickly grabbing her favorite hugglebug, she exclaimed, "Whatever will I do, Toto? I fear I'll no longer be in Kansas when I'm done..."

As quickly as it came, the devilish twister abated, depositing her gently on the oaken floor of what appeared to be a quaint little curio shop. Still in her stocking-feet, she quickly walked over to a tea service she saw in the corner and sat on one of the lush velvety cushions she saw there. She was startled to hear the strange voice of her host...

"Konbawa, Dorothy-hime. And welcome to my shop...and Smoky Corners. I am Kato Chigiri. Please, join me for some tea..."

Having nothing better to do at the moment, and sensing no immediate danger from the funny little Asian man, she happily obliged, taking the proffered jade cup in her delicate hands.

"I have seen your many acts of random kindness, and heard your silent pleas to be that which you truly are, yet Nature did not grant. I believe I can help, at least in that regard."

Reaching for a step-stool, he quickly strolled to a high maple shelf in the back of the shop. Reaching delicately to the very top shelf, he removed a small ebony box and placed it on the table before her. The golden etchings shone in the faint sunlight that was seeping in from the windowpane, and she felt herself eerily drawn to the strange object.

"Open it," Chigiri implored. "And know, at last, your TRUE DESTINY."

Dorothy fumbled clumsily at the silver latch, but finally managed to open the strange box. Inside, she found a gorgeous jade cameo brooch.

"A reward, my dear plum blossom. For few have the compassion to wear it, and it has chosen you to bestow its magicks upon. Hurry and pin it to your blouse, as church beckons."

She donned the brooch carefully, and thanked the strange Chigiri. He bowed, and she found herself, once again, on the chaise. She went in the bathroom to change and make herself presentable.

As she was undressing, she began feeling the brooch's effects as the duckling outside began to morph into the swan within.

"Thank you," she whispered, as she realized her years of prayers had FINALLY been answered.

"Be honorable and honored, Dorothy-hime," was the only response...

The End???

up
92 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I am honored, hon

I'm also blushing like crazy!

DogSig.png

Cool indeed.

Cool indeed.

If Only

joannebarbarella's picture

Can I borrow that brooch when you're finished with it (or it's finished with you) please, Dorothy?