Walking in Becky's Shoes - Chapter 12 final

Printer-friendly version

Walking in Becky’s Shoes – Chapter 12
Final Chapter
By Julie Dawn Cole
sky2.jpg
So mum has already made her decision that is positive for me and might make things easier in the coming months. As far as she is concerned I’m accepted as Becky Hennessey, the sister of Rebecca and her second daughter when I’m in girl mode and Ashton Cole in boy mode. She wanted me to adopt her family name rather than cause confusion with my sister Rebecca Elizabeth Cole.

I was not sure my father would be happy about the name change since I was named after his Grandfathers home town of Ashton Under Lyme on the outskirts of Manchester where the family had owned a large factory until the business was bankrupt. It was closed mainly because of low cost imports from Hong Kong. Dad never had chance to follow his fathers footsteps.

My mother was always proud of her family name and the Hennessey’s had roots back to Ireland where they originated and whilst she had one brother and two sisters the families had been split and so we had cousins in Ireland, USA, Australia and New Zealand. Most of the Hennessey families had girls and as far as I knew from mum I was the last male descendant in her side of the family.

Judging by her ready acceptance of me it confirmed she’d always wanted another daughter, especially after Rebecca left home. I knew that she missed her girly time with Rebecca and their fashion gossip. I felt excluded and rejected for a while and dad wasn’t around much to provide a balance. He tended to dote on Rebecca anyway when he came home as the first child.

Even though I had this preliminary stamp of approval from mum I doubted that I would be allowed to attend school as Becky and I resisted asking the question until we had chance to discuss it. I thought that I might raise this later by asking about her family tree.

My mind was racing and there were so many issues to consider and I doubted fellow students would be accepting of my change in appearance and the school didn’t appear to be very tolerant of stepping outside strict rules and regulations as a mixed school. I was at least heartened by frequent publicity and documentaries on sexual confusion, cross dressing and sex reassignment which almost always involved boy to girl stories.

Back to the Story:

We tidied up the kitchen and mum went upstairs to get ready whilst I called Steph at the hospital to check on Nick and establish if he was able to have visitors and what time I could visit him. She was very helpful and I set a time of 11am. He had managed to eat something that was a good sign.

Mum had made a special effort when she came back downstairs and so I did my best to make her proud and selected a jacket and some ankle boots with matching bag. Mum selected a bracelet and a necklace from Rebecca’s small treasure trove.

‘Oh Becky you look just like your sister and one of your cousins. Come and see.’

We went to her bedroom where she produced a photograph of Rebecca and our cousin Shanade taken a few years ago in New York when Rebecca had been lucky to visit with a school trip. I think I did look more like Shanade so maybe I was a Hennessey after all.

We headed into town and arrived back on the High Street car park at 10-30 am according to the pre-paid ticket. Mum hooked my arm and we walked together up the High Street towards the shop. It was open and there was a lady behind the counter serving two customers. I took a deep breath and we went inside. We waited our turn and she welcomed us and asked if she could help.

Mum took over and explained the purpose of our visit nodding towards my bag. She sent for the owner a middle aged man who seemed nice. Luckily because I told the truth about Nick and I trying to catch a person who was attacking young women he was very co-operative. It appeared I’d nothing to be worried about. He’d already heard a rumor that somebody had been stabbed so he’d looked at the film to try to see if there was any connection between the stabbing and the bag he’d found. It seemed that he’d called the local police station and was advised to hang onto the bag and they would send an officer to meet him.

‘But that’s my bag and inside it you’ll find my wallet and credit cards. Please will you hand it back so I can check the contents.’

‘Sorry Miss not until the police have been’

‘But we are going to the Police Station to assist them and identify a possible attacker. The person who was stabbed is my best friend.’

‘Oh there was a fight then?’

‘No he was attacked and I was too and so was my friend Millie who was raped two years ago.’

‘My goodness this is quite a case and so it isn’t just simple case it involves attacks and stabbings. Definitely I’m not handing anything over they may want the bag and my film for evidence.’

‘But it’s my bag and you will have seen me on the video film getting changed.’

‘No Miss it was a boy in the film and the belongings are male not female.’

‘I know that. I was just getting changed to help attract this creep who attacks women.’

‘So you’re telling me you were going to dress up as a boy to entice him. Is the culprit gay then?’

‘No he’s not gay as far as I know. He’s a creep who attacks women. He goes to our school. I’m due at the police station later to check if they found who stabbed my best friend. Maybe to see if arrested somebody and if it’s the person we suspected. This creep attacked me and I saw his face. I have a mark on my neck to prove it and he has a hole in his foot after I stamped on him with my heel. I hope that explains enough to let you give me my possessions back.’

‘He must be gay then if he thought you were a boy. I’m surprised that your boyfriend was happy about leaving you exposed. Why did he let you walk home alone?’

‘No you don’t understand. I wasn’t dressing up as a boy in your doorway. This is crazy. I’m due at the police station to explain this later so then you’ll understand. Can I have my bag back please?’

‘Look the bag stays here unless you come back with a police officer or they send someone to collect it for evidence along with the tape.’

‘But my wallet and credit cards are in the bag and I need them. Check for yourself.’

‘No I’m not touching the bag again until instructed by the police. They might need it for fingerprints or to look inside for evidence.’
‘Mom this is stupid. I can’t seem to make him understand.’

‘Look Becky let’s leave it for now. As long as the bag is secure we’ll let the police deal with it. No point worrying now and upsetting this gentleman. He is only doing his best. Come on you don’t need your wallet for now and it’s probable it’s still there.’

The owner spoke again. ‘Look Miss your mum is right. There is a wallet inside and it does contain credit cards so what is your name because I gave the owners name to the police.?’

Mum didn’t let me respond. ‘Thank you as long as it’s there we’ll let the police recover it and get it back from them. Come on Becky let’s go and say thank you to the kind man.’

‘ Sorry ladies.’

Mum coupled to my arm again and we headed back to the car. I felt so angry but I guess mum was right. No nee to confuse the situation if the owner thought I was a girl dressing as a boy. We’d had to explain to the police in any case.’

‘Come on Becky let’s have a coffee and calm down now we know your wallet is safe. We still have 40 minutes on the parking ticket.’

We went into Starbucks and mum treated us to two Flat Whites and a Blueberry Muffin to share whilst we decided if I should go directly to the hospital or via the hair salon. I preferred to see Nick as soon as possible and to try to explain things as best I could. I crossed my fingers and toes that he would still stay friends with me.

‘What about Millie?’

‘I’ll call her later once we’ve been to the Police Station. Otherwise we’ll never get there.’

Mum dropped me at the door of A&E and agreed to fix up a hair appointment for 2 pm so I felt better and more relaxed. She recommended a head and neck massage so I didn’t need persuading.

I found my way to the reception and asked for Steph who arrived 10 minutes later. Whilst she knew my situation from witnessing the discussion with the police officer she greeted me as Becky and took my hands and gave me a hug. He’s doing fine today and he came round about 2 hours after you left after the anesthetic wore off. He was asking about you and wanted to know you were safe.

‘Great. That’s the bestest news. Can I see him then?’

‘Yes but first we need to sort something out with our records and also for my own peace of mind.’

‘What?’

‘Well first of all you signed him in as Rebecca Cole and then Nick referred to you as Ashton and you told the police officer you were male not female. I felt great sympathy for you because I have a brother who is intersex and he struggled for a few years before he made his choice. Who is Rebecca Cole? Are you Ashton or Becky and Ashton or Becky who?’

‘I’m sorry I was worried when I arrived with the ambulance and since I wasn’t in my male clothes I used my sisters name. I was under pressure and I didn’t think it mattered.’

‘So what about Nick? Does he know you as Becky or are you Ashton?’

‘He knows me as Ashton that is my real name. I should have signed as Ashton Cole. But we have been close friends at school and he treats me differently to other friends. He makes me feel like a girl. I like him a lot.’

‘Hmmm we’d better sort out the paperwork first and set the records straight. What you do with the police is up to you and I suppose you need to be staight with Nick. You don’t exactly look like a boy this morning and you didn’t last night.’

‘That’s why I came dressed as Becky. My mum didn’t know I was like this until last night and she was surprised when she picked me up. After we talked she decided to help me and persuaded me to be myself today and let Nick meet me like this. But only if you agree. I don’t want to risk upsetting him in his condition.’

‘Look Becky you’ve been a brick as far as I’m concerned. Lot’s of people would have run away and left him. You might have even saved his life by your quick action. He owes you big time. It sounds like he cares about you.’

‘Yes I guess I want to know if he can accept me as my real self. I can’t pretend any more. Once mum was OK about it I decided I can face other people and even my dad. I only have one other concern that I’ll have to deal with as well that is probably the most difficult for me.’

‘Sit down a minute and tell me and I’ll help if I can.’

‘Well I’ve been friends with a girl for two years now who only knows me as Becky. We were apart for a while and whilst I was away she was attacked and raped by this animal who stabbed Nick and who had attacked me recently. He was free and Nick wanted to catch him because the police never found him. I’m worried that Millie will be heart broken when I tell her. She had no other friends and even now I don’t think she has anybody close except me.’

‘Oh Becky that’s awful. Doesn’t she get any professional support?’

‘She is a very shy person. We connected so she treats me like a sister that is how all this started. We met whilst I was in my early stages of going out dressed as Becky and we were good for each other. I met her family and a friend of her mother who it turns out was Nicks mum. They only knew me as Becky and one night Nick was supposed to join us at dinner but he was my close friend at school. It was a mess.’

‘My goodness Becky I don’t know what I’d of done in your shoes.’

‘ Well it’s even more complicated. First of all Millie had a crush on Nick after their mothers tried to be matchmakers and then on the night I left the restaurant before Nick arrived I was attacked and I couldn’t tell anybody. I wasn’t badly hurt because I fought him off. I just told Nick about someone who’d attacked and raped Millie and he wanted to catch him and punish him. He had this stupid idea to dress as a girl and walk in the same area Millie was attacked. I’d been attacked in the same place but I couldn’t tell him without admitting I was dressed as Becky at the time.’

‘My God you were getting in so deep weren’t you? The sooner you sort all this out the better. You did your best not to hurt your friends but it’s like you were trying to stop waves.’

‘Thanks for understanding the difficulty. I need to see Nick before I change my mind.’

‘Come on he has been moved I’ll show you where he is. There isn’t anybody occupying the other bed in his room so it should be private. I think I’d better let you go in unannounced.’

I looked through the glass window in the door and saw Nick was laid back watching the news on TV so I pushed the door open and took a deep breath. His head turned. He looked at me and then turned to look back at the TV. I stepped forward and then he sat up and turned ‘ Ash is that you? ‘

I couldn’t speak. I froze.

‘Ash it is you. You look nice. I hoped you’d come. I owe you big time.’

I moved to the end of the bed and he smiled and lifted his hand offering it to me. I took it and for a few moments we stayed like that until he managed to lock fingers and pull me around the side of the bed.

‘Ash I wondered what mum was talking about last night. She said a girl was here who had looked after me. Was it you?’

‘’Yes I had changed to take your place attracting this maniac who stabbed you. I was still dressed when someone told me you’d been stabbed. I had no chance to change back so your mum and Millie’s mum saw me like this. I didn’t mean to mislead anybody, it just happened.’

‘Ash you’ve nothing to be ashamed about. I always felt you were more feminine than masculine and you needed protection from idiots. I almost asked you a few times if you were a girl dressing like a boy. I so wanted to hold you.’

‘You can hold me now if you like.’

‘Yes I’d like. You make a beautiful woman. Do your family know this side of you?’

He pulled me forward to sit on the side of his bed and looked into my eyes. He looked deeply into mine and I felt a shiver down my spine. I leaned forward and we kissed. He winced part way through as he tried to hold me close. I looked over his shoulder and saw a face in the window of the door. It was Millie.

I had to pull away and I mumbled her name but she’d gone. Nick wouldn’t let me get up and held on to my hand.

‘Nick we shouldn’t do this. We can’t.’

‘Too late we did. We almost did it before do you remember.’

‘Of course I do. As if I would forget. You made me shiver all over. It’s not right. We are mates. I’m not really a girl despite these clothes.’

‘Well I met you as a girl a long time ago. I wish I’d had more courage.’

‘Nick please we mustn’t. How are you have the doctors said anything yet. Are you comfortable enough and is the wound clean? Will it heal?’

‘Yes I’m as comfortable and the wound will heal. I’m not sure if I’d want it to heal quickly though if it meant regular visits by you and more chances to touch and kiss. Are you Ash or somebody who just happened along and saved my life?’

‘I was Ash and I still am sometimes but as you can see I introduced you to Becky today. She’s inside me and she wants to come out. My mum wants her to come out.’

‘I’m glad she came out and I don’t want you to leave. I knew I liked you the first time we met.’

I stayed for half an hour and helped Nick with his lunch. Steph popped her head around the door and she had the widest smile on her face when she saw us. I promised to visit again in the evening since Nick wanted me to meet his mum. I told him I would come back if that’ts what he wanted. I didn’t tell him I’d already met his mum. That was going to be another small challenge. Now I had an excuse for visiting the hairdresser.

So what about Millie and my meeting with the police and what about Ash’s bag and wallet Did he need it?

I called Millie whilst waiting for mum and arranged to meet her at 5pm for a heart to heart chat. She was a little off-hand with me but I didn’t tell her I’d seen her through the window. I needed to find out if the police had detained her attacker. She needed good news since I had a lot of explaining to do.

Mum joined me at the salon and helped me to choose a style that was slightly more feminine and easy to manage. The head and shoulder massage was fabulous. We didn’t have time for other treats that mum suggested so we made bookings for the next two days. I was very happy to be fussed and was looking forward to some serious pampering.

The visit to the police station was kept low key and they were more interested in me reporting the attack on me and once complete I attended an identity parade being out of view of the line up. I could have jumped in the air when I recognised him and the police constable told me they’d confirmed he had a badly bruised foot with a nasty cut caused by something shar and pointed. They dealt with the recovery of the bag and my wallet and delivered it home.

My meeting with Millie went quite well. I told her they’d found her attacker and it was the person Nick and I had suspected who was already safely secured with no chance of release before his trial. That lifted her spirit but when I told her she’d helped me to avoid depression and accepted me as Becky I’d gone from strength to strength.

We stayed best friends as two girls and she accepted my relationship with Nick based our long friendship. It took her some time to get over her attack but we helped her through it.

Nicks mum was not as negative as we expected once she got over the initial shock. She had liked me when we met and she knew I made Nick happy. I hadn’t done at that stage of our relationship but I have done many times since.

Rebecca was delighted to have a sister and we meet up regularly and are closer than ever. Dad is my current work in progress. I’ve agreed to go back to Ashton under Lyme and Manchester with him and help him set up a new business using funds he’d built up from his success in the Middle East.

So it has been a long walk in Becky’s shoes that weren’t always comfortable but they lasted the pace very well. I used to be a loner. Now everybody wants to be my friend. I plan to move in with Nick and he wants me to keep walking and to walk me up the aisle. I’ve said yes. How could I refuse? Millie wants to be a bridesmaid and Rebecca wants to be maid of honor. Dad says I’m expensive so he can’t wait to give me away.

Mum just wants to go shopping with Rebecca and I for new shoes.

The End

Sorry it took so long to finish this story. Hope it was OK.

up
152 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Love the story, I just wonder

Love the story, I just wonder how much problems are hiding in plain sight because there are two daughters who are named Rebecca or Becky if you wish? Should be interesting indeed.

Thank you Julie,

A lovely conclusion to another JDC story . Really enjoyed the ending ,love happy endings!

<em></em>

I was remis

I missed the feedback on Chapter 11 and struggled with finding a suitable ending. You know I am a happy ending person because we see enough sad things and tragedy. I'm fortunate that I have been able to retain a positive outlook and have had good mentors. .
I have done my best to finish this story and I had to resist the temptation to post several chapters. I hope it worked.
I have had a lot of happiness and shed tears sometimes writing stories. I posted it late at night knowing you would read it before most of the World is awake.
It means I could start my day on a positive note.
Hugs

Jules

YAY!!!

Beautiful ending. Thank you for finally completing it. I love your work and this story had me at wit's end to see what happened to everyone.

I'll be looking forward to more stories from you. You are such a great author. I just LOVE your writings.

Hugs,
Erica

Thanks Erica

I'm like a lot of writers here who like to record their dreams and experiences and this is the best place I've seen for mine to be posted. We all appreciate hits and comments and it motivates me. I saw your comment that the story needed to be finished and I then read through each chapter and after that it wasn't as difficult as I'd anticipated to address your concerns and complete. I just needed to step back into character so you did me a great favour. I enjoyed it. So thanks for that.
Hugs

Jules

Nice wrap up Jules!

It's always nice to see a story actually completed! Thanks for coming back to this one, hon. Loving Hugs Talia

AH gets to have an experience

Jamie Lee's picture

How well Ashton is Becky was proven by the owner of the shop. Even though he wouldn't hand over the bag, the only person he saw asking for the bag was a girl.

Was it a hint how Nick felt about Ashton when Nick wanted to carry Ashton's bag? Ashton didn't make the connection, but he didn't really surprise Nick when Becky paid Nick a visit in hospital.

Millie might have taken the news better than Becky hoped. And Becky did her a big favor by continuing to be her friend.

Scott Johnson will no longer be a thorn to anyone's side. Being identified by two people nailed his coffin shut. And this is going to be a big help in Millie's recovery.

This is another finely written story, keeping the readers' attention throughout. As with similar stories, the emotions of the characters' were made perfectly clear through the use of words. It didn't hurt that the situation the main character put himself in was interesting.

Others have feelings too.

You kind comments are appreciated

I enjoyed writing the story that was based around characters in my earlier life and so it was easy to get into character.
I need to get back to some other stories after a period of heavy distraction that affected my concentration.
Hugs

Jules

Loved it!

Lucy Perkins's picture

Hi Julie,
I've just caught up with this story, and I wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed it. I'm afraid that you got me to rights in my school days..the whole sister's stuff when she went to Uni..even down to the secret room (I had one above my bedroom too..) and then the whole plot just made me cheer..I was so bound up in Becky's story that I cheered when her Mum accepted her. Lovely characterization with Steph the nurse too..reminds me of an A&E nurse I know..bless her.
Fantastic stuff. Lucy xxx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."