Julina of Blackstone - 075 - Companionship and Greenery

Printer-friendly version

Family matters precede Davabet's formal employment and an Assembly Meeting tells us much more of what is going on.

grakh
 
Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles, Book 2

by Julia Phillips

075 – Companionship and Greenery


Disclaimer:

The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended.
This story is copyright © 2013 - 2020 Julia Phillips. All rights reserved.

It uses some of the associated characters and situations that arise from the world called ‘Anmar’ created by Penny Lane, whose stories
are also copyright © 2010 - 2020 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.


Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles
075 – Companionship and Greenery

Despite a later than usual time of going to bed, I still felt good when I woke up naturally at my usual hour – in other words I woke after Swayga did but before the rest.

“Oh, how I wish I could go back to those days” she sighed wistfully. “I used to just leap up and get on with things. Now don't get me wrong, I love your father, but sometimes this family running seems endless with no relief in sight. I know not how you managed it all. I am quite in awe of you, you know, young lady!”

Swayga was marvelling at the 'resilience of youth' as she put it, and told me she could only survive her now daily routine because of her regular nap in the afternoons, which nowadays lasted for up to two bells!

In the half a bell that we had together that day, a half bell of warm companionship, we discussed the family in a way that had really been far too long since we last did it.

“... and your father says he has never been so busy. He oversees no fewer than thirty people nowadays and feels he might need even more. I like it though because it means he is more often here than he was, now he can have others to do the manual work he used to do himself.”

“That's good, I suppose. But like me, he will on occasion need to travel down to his other offices, I deem, which surely means his absences are for longer than before?”

“Not necessarily! If he plans his visits in advance, it seems to be that he is away less often and for shorter times, actually. He just requires to pass on information about plans and priorities and develop strategies for dealing with them.”

“Yes, I can see that. But he shall surely have to spend some time with his foremen or whoever, if only to remind them who is the boss!”

“Quite so. But this leading of others is bringing out a side of him that neither he nor I suspected was there. He is a natural leader and has garnered much respect from his workers as well as his fellows in Town. I see now more clearly where you get your abilities from!”

“Talking of travelling, you know that I have had problems going about on my own because, for some strange reason we women have to be always accompanied...” She nodded and rolled her eyes at what was really an absurdity. “... well I deem I have solved that problem. Apparently it is acceptable for Kords and I to go about together so I have found a young girl of around Kords' age to be my constant companion. She is on a week's trial at first and if she can't do all the things I need, then I will do my utmost to find her something else to do. She is handicapped by a withered arm, so be prepared when you meet her. She has suffered so much hardship from others because of it – throughout her entire life. I would that my family rise above others and welcome her, whether or not her job works out.”

“I understand. But you know I and your father will both be wanting to test her appropriateness for you.”

“I suppose I could expect nothing else!” I said with a sigh. “Her name, by the way, is Davabet.”

“And she is Kordulet's age?”

“Thereabouts.”

“Talking of Kordulet, she seems to be growing more mature and responsible the longer she works at your Salon.”

“Yes, Kords is a great asset there. I just worry that she does not have enough time to herself.”

Swayga laughed: “Oh I am glad she doesn't have more! We already have no fewer than three boys who regularly call here for her!”

“Maker! Three? What a little temptress she is! Thanks for that information, I need some material with which to tease her; she has enough about me – and she uses it regularly.”

“Beware how you tease her, she is at that vulnerable age right now, but moving rapidly into maturity as I said.

“As for Kordulissa, then I deem she is entering the rebellious stage. The working at the Salon and at the various seamstresses hasn't had the maturing effect that has worked on her older sisters. She is prone nowadays to temper tantrums and to over-exaggerating the importances of what we would see as little slights. 'Tis probably one of those instances that she is suffering at the moment.”

“Who's that?” came the sleepy mumble from a very tousled Kords as she progressed through towards the facilities.

“Good morrow to you too young lady!”

“Mmmgggrrr.” she replied as she disappeared from our view, bare feet barely lifting off the floorboards so there was a shuffling sound more than a treading sound.

Swayga and I smiled at each other.

“I hope that Jululet doesn't suffer too badly when she enters that stage, but 'tis difficult for her right now. She is still a child however much she wants to be grown up like her sisters. I have to be careful not to use some of Kordulissa's excesses as good examples of bad behaviour. She feels a little lost and alone at the moment so I tend to cuddle her more than the others.

“Kordulkin has changed greatly since he started urchining. He now has some little coin for himself and has, I deem, correctly associated money as a reward for hard work. He seems a little less arrogant and 'I'm the heir' about things nowadays. But he too is still a child in many ways. He still wants cuddles but rejects them for being too 'soppy'.

“Which brings us onto Korden. Such a delight, but mischievous to an extreme! It is a joy to watch him grow up. I hope that I do not allow him too much leeway though. But as Jululet and he are now mainly my only companions through the day, I suppose I see the most of them, and understand them more than I do you others.”

“Oh Swayga, I am so torn. I wish in many ways we could go back to the simpler life we had scarce more than a year ago, when I would see each of my brothers and sisters growing up into their own individualities. But nowadays I am handsomely rewarded for doing several jobs. I am increasingly conscious that I have people working for me, people who need that work, some have even built their lives around that work. I daren't for one heartbeat relax lest I make a mistake and those others get thrown out of work as a result. I think sometimes 'tis the fear of causing them troubles that drives me along when I get tired.”

“Julina! You are only scarce out of your own childhood, you should not, MUST not, overextend yourself. If you collapse, then everyone who works for you will suffer. You need to invest in some 'you' time every now and then. You cannot be everything to everybody you know.”

For some reason, on that day, her message, oft-repeated now, struck home far more forcibly than it had before, and it gave me another thread to churn away in the back of my head.

By and by, we were all seated round the table as a family. One of those rare occasions when we were all eight together at the same time. And all of us noted how on edge Kissa was.

At one point, I decided to change the subject by mentioning Davabet and how that would affect my life from now on. That seemed to work as it brought out the inherent kind and nurturing nature in Kissa. When I told them about her arm and the treatment she had received because of it, Kissa was the first to express sympathy and sorrow. I relaxed, thinking that perhaps she would now get over whatever had been her problem.

Then we heard some laughing and giggling. The door opened and in walked Surtree who said: “Good morrow everyone. May I introduce Davabet? She is to be ...”

“I hate you, 'Lina. You have ruined my life. I shall hate you forever.”

Kissa ran off to her room amidst clouds of wails.

“Ah!” said Surtree. “Are you having a bit of a domestic dispute? Perchance I should apologise and we should come back later. I just thought I would introduce Davabet to the Tai Chi here amongst friends.”

There was a silence for a long tense moment. Papa cleared his throat as Swyaga started bustling about, trying to make the stranger welcome. The children all looked at each other and I was thrust into my thoughts once more. What on Anmar was going on? Davabet looked as if she would burst into tears again and I deemed she might turn and bolt at any heartbeat.

Then Kords asked what seemed to be a strange question. “Surtree, did you see Kissa yesterday afternoon, maybe from afar?”

“Why yes, I waved to her. I know she saw me but she just tossed her head and carried on.”

“Were you perhaps escorting Davabet somewhere at the time?”

“Well – yes. We were on the way to the Claw having just left 'Lina and Em.”

“Ahah!” exclaimed Kords knowingly. “Now we know!”

The rest of us all looked at her in total and complete befuddlement.

“Kissa has developed a regard for you, Surtree.” She turned to us all. “Haven't you seen the way they both flirt together when we gather for the Tai Chi? Not only that, I deem he has also developed a regard for her, and she thinks she has detected that.” She addressed the poor embarrassed young lad once more. “She saw you with another girl yesterday, probably laughing and joking. She is having a huge fit of jealousy!”

… … …

“Well, to be honest 'Lina, I'm embarrassed, and pleased, and annoyed and proud all at the same time. And I feel kind of warm inside to know that she thinks so of me. I only hope she doesn't feel humiliated by being dragged out by her father to apologise to Davabet and then to me. Oh that would be dreadful if she thought less of me because of that.” His face fell, and took on a worried look. “Oh, how can I reassure ...”

“You youngsters!” I laughed. “You all make such a big fuss about such tiny little things. Don't think so much!”

He went red again, and stopped talking so much.

After a moment's more thought (which was slightly ironic I deemed) I continued: “Do not think that Swayga and Papa are not telling Kissa the same thing even as we speak. They will be telling her to try to ascertain the facts before jumping to wild and inaccurate conclusions. I see now, though, that maybe I shouldn't have mentioned the disruption of work at the Salon that this all caused, for I know that Papa will really come down hard on her for that. He does not accept that tantrums should affect people's businesses.”

Another thought hit me then, and I began again, a little slowly: “On the other hand, maybe there is a good side to this. Surtree knows me well enough by now, so perhaps 'tis best that you too have seen this at the very beginning of your employment, Davabet. I try not to hide factors from him, and shall attempt so to do with you as well. That way you shall understand me better and we will be a more efficient team. And I expect equal honesty from you. You have seen that Surtree does that, Davabet, so you should learn to do so too – when we are alone, of course.

“So Surtree, when you have recovered your colour ...” which I meanly said deliberately for I knew 'twould make him blush again, “... can you please run and find Master Jepp and ask him when and where we can all meet to deal with the wretched paperwork and all the 'Heard and Witnessed' stuff. Davabet and I will make ourselves available at the shortest notice, but I suspect he will require at least one of Davabet's parents since she is still a minor – just like we had to do with you.”

I turned to Davabet: “And what do you feel about it all young lady? The Kissa business, that is. I hope it hasn't frightened you off?” I added with a grin.

“Well, I was embarrassed myself and thought immediately that I should run away – you see, my immediate reaction was that I was causing trouble again. Just like I have been told all my life, it seems. But your grip on my arm prevented me from doing so. After that, I learnt as you said to calm down and examine it from all aspects and I realised that you were right, I was in no way to blame.

“And Surtree, if I might say so, I was pleased that someone considered me to be someone's girlfriend. But rest assured, I see you as a brother. And Kissa is developing into a very comely girl. You are a lucky young man.”

I had thought that my blushes were quite fierce, but the usual cheeky Surtree had been reduced to a speechless glowing (but still walking) pile of red hot coals.

… … …

“Heard and witnessed!”

I sighed in relief. That was the last time that phrase would need be uttered in this manner - with regard to this matter, of course. Thank the Maker!

“So then, if you two would sign just here?” said Jepp to Davabet's parents, educated but still somewhat simple folk who were a bit overawed to be sitting in the Salon, and a bit surprised that their daughter had found employment I daresay. He was Dilligas and she Talbet. Such was their (surely misplaced) awe of this place, I made a mental note to give them a meal here one night, maybe treat it is a part of Davabet's remuneration.

“And again here. And finally here. Thank you. That is all done then. Young Mistress Davabet will be employed on a week's trial by Mistress Julina, and, assuming that the trial is successful, will be employed at the agreed rate until the end of the year. On each New Year's Day, then the contract will be re-assessed from both sides and a new one drawn up should it be necessary. Is everyone happy they understand it all?”

We all murmured our agreement and her parents stood up to go. However, their awe was increased when the door opened and the Steward came in along with Alderman Mesulkin. The Steward's quick and intelligent gaze flickered round the six of us gathered there, and then focussed upon me.

“Your Honour, I should like to present my newly indentured, if that is the correct word, companion, Davabet. Davabet, the Steward of our lands, Captain Bleskin.”

She blushed and curtsied to him, receiving a warm “Delighted” in return. My respect for him had grown even more when he reacted not in the slightest to Davabet's arm. His querying gaze returned to me.

“I have decided to find someone to be by my side almost permanently so I don't have all this fuss and palaver of requiring another woman to accompany me to places. She is NOT to be considered a maid, but an intelligent companion not afraid to give her opinion. And I present also her parents here who have come to sign the employment contract since Davabet is still a minor. Goodman Dilligas and Mistress Talbet- His Honour.”

“Good day to you all, Master, Mistresses, Goodman.” He nodded around the half-circle we formed before addressing me. “I deem this to be another brilliant idea of yours, Mistress Julina. You continue to amaze me.” His tone became a shade sterner. “I shall be relying upon your selection abilities that this companion is fit for attending Assembly meetings such as you have been requested to attend today?”

He looked closely at each of myself, Jepp and Em; he received an affirmative nod from each.

“Very well. Now, it has been my pleasure to meet you,” he said addressing the parents directly “... however, we are regretfully very busy right now, so I regret I must start our acquaintance by asking you to leave! Your daughter is about to attend our Assembly Meeting and we must needs set this room up ready for it.”

“Of... of... course, Your Honour, Captain ...” they stammered. I got Davabet to usher them out before showing her what we had to do to the tables and chairs, half of which was already done by the time she got back from the front door!

… … …

“ … also joined the community. So now there exists in Brayview a Wheelwright, a Smith, a Baker and a Joiner. No doubt others shall be added as the Community grows even further.”

“Indeed, and I look forward to seeing the changes the day after tomorrow, for both I and Alderman Mesulkin have duties down there then.”

His Honour turned his face towards the two Princes and the two Counts, sitting all four together at the back of the room. “Your Highnesses, Milords, you are of course welcome to accompany me should you wish, but might I advise against it on this occasion, since that would drag many more guards along with us, a fact which may not only strain the accommodation down there but which also shall definitely strain the cooperation between the Country Guards and the Blackstone and Palace Guards that I know the Commander and Captain Subrish have arranged for the next few days.”

Prince Keren thought for a few heartbeats then replied: “Captain Bleskin, I deem you are correct, and yet I find myself curious about your schedule and your activities whilst down there. I would fain accompany you at least once whilst we are here. Entirely in an observatory capacity, you will understand. I am also certain that Count Terinar would like to attend as such as well. 'Twill enable him to be a more aware Governor after all.”

What a tactful way of saying that the young Count required some training! I fear I would have just blurted it out, but the Prince managed to do it much more diplomatically.

“That shall be no problem, I deem. We shall be able to give them ample notice in that case.

“Just to let you know, Your Highness, the Alderman, should he be required, usually rides down there on a wagon with the books and papers that we might need, whilst I – and sometimes Representative Jepp there – ride down on frayen with two or three guards. We time it so that we all arrive there for the evening meal. I usually conduct some meetings after that meal and before retiring, but confess that I wish I didn't have to.

“The following morning, the Alderman and I conduct the marriages first, if any, so that he might start his return journey in good time. He usually travels either on or alongside the Shuttle, which as we all know leaves at noon. I then, with the Representative if he is present, sit and judge the various problems and misdemeanours that require a legal opinion. I, we, then depart Brayview soon after noon or at the latest in the early afternoon and ride to Bezlet to inspect the developments there. Overnighting there or at the Roadhouse, we get back here to Town later the next day.”

It was only after the Assembly Meeting that I learnt that Master Jepp had been given the title 'Representative' to declare to all that he was the Steward's second in command.

His Honour turned back to Bezan: “I'm sorry, Master Bezan. We seem to have digressed slightly. You were reporting on the changes in Brayview?”

“Yes, Your Honour,” he said, with a hand wave to show he was not bothered. “I should actually take this opportunity to thank Mistress Julina there for sending her friend and employee downvalley, Mistress Gythy, for 'twas her suggestions as to many of the positionings and connections between the buildings in Brayview. She also suggested a wide Camping Place just outside the little cleft where the main buildings now sit, using your party as an example of a large group who might need overnight accommodation. She made similar suggestions as to buildings down in Bezlet as well, suggestions that are an improvement on those we had thought of ourselves.

“But to continue my descriptions at Brayview …

“The lane to Tamitil has now been completed, the tree-felling phase of it that is – that track is sufficiently wide for wagons to pass each other, but 'twould be a tight squeeze in places. However, it is not really practicable for wagons at the moment. Frayen riders are grateful though, since their journeyings have been so considerably shortened. The bed of this lane will now be smoothed and then a proper surface laid, as usual starting with the Michen Method. It is to be hoped that a usable wagon way shall be in place by the end of next month. Getting surfacing stone of the necessary quality will be the major delaying factor, although the Strettalm quarry continues to grow in output.

“I must mention that the flour mill arrangements you made are proving successful and ever more produce from there too is becoming available. I am given to understand that we are now in the happy position of starting to stockpile supplies up here in Town.

“Moving on now to Bezlet, but with the warning that soon I shall be referring once more to Brayview, then I can happily report that the building of houses there is increasing. Again Mistresses Julina and Gythy have provided good impetus in that location, and a workable and functioning Inn shall be opened in just a few days now. 'Tis to be called 'The Clay Pot', after the lately acquired knowledge of cooling things using pots made of clay. Available accommodation there though is quite limited compared to the Forest Roadhouse and Brayview.

“Talking of which, Bezlet is now starting to take some business away from the Forest Roadhouse, which is fully understandable. The Forest Roadhouse shall not suffer though, there is more than enough business for the two, and there shall be for the foreseeable future.

“It should be noted in passing, if I might be allowed the small joke, that the downvalley wagons that use Bezlet as their overnight stop, no longer call in at Brayview either, they are passing it by, but we deem that Brayview also shall not suffer, particularly since it is growing in importance as the second town of Blackstone County.

“Located as it is on the Chaarn Road, it shall certainly for a long while be an important point of contact for the developing area of Ptuvilend, for which the two Counts here at the back of the room are responsible. Some of Ptuvilend shall be under the aegis of Palarand and some under that of Vardenale. It is expected that Ptuvilend will extend at least to, and maybe even beyond, the final old Chivan fort up there. I must point out at this juncture that there is no direct built and maintained road across the peaks and valleys from Vardenale. So, certainly in the short term, the Chaarn Road shall be the major arterial route used to access that new land.

“As regards facilities in the smaller community of Bezlet, then I can report that a small and still somewhat crude Smithy has been established by one of Master Brydas' journeymen, and Masters Torin and Haldik have both despatched Journeymen to a shared workshop down there where they are kept more than busy with all the woodworking required.

“There are now two distinct areas of Bezlet; there is the village that hovers close to the Blackstone to Brayview road, and there is also the waterfront part, almost a separate village really, that is growing up around the dock area and the various construction projects down there, including the removal of the 'nose' from Kord Peak. I call this area the riverside end.

“On that riverside end of Bezlet much has happened recently. As mentioned, the removal of rock from Kord Peak continues, now perhaps a little quicker since a good footing has been established across the nearer stream's canyon. Nevertheless, it is still unlikely to be finished much before the end of next year, and to have a usable roadbed there will take longer still. Perchance the judicious use of some of your gunpowder, Your Honour, might hasten the works slightly. We would require the utmost care of course not to block either of the streams which flow on each side of the peak, and not to damage any of the other projects still on-going around that place, so I doubt that the free use of gunpowder will be advantageous.

“Following on from another of Julina's ideas, we have made a start at constructing a river crossing there. We have no fewer than three draw rope ferries already set up, and workers have crossed to start tree felling on the far bank. We hope to have some crop land over there planted before the rains. We have already three farmers who have expressed a wish of trying to tame the land over there on the West Bank, and one is scheduled to cross over there today with his family. We have shipped over there some of the pre-built house modules for them, but will have to leave them to select their preferred spot. We have stressed that they must eventually gain approval for their claims over there, they cannot expect to be given autonomous use of the entire river bank!

“We are definitely going to build a bridge across the river at the riverside end of Bezlet – maybe even as many as three bridges!

“One shall be for the future railroad, to enable it to connect easily to the West Bank and on to Tranidor, one shall be for the wagons we must be using as we await the railroad– maybe these two shall be a shared bridge between the two methods of transport and thus count just as one – and one shall be a footbridge.

“The routes these bridges shall take are effectively already dictated since we shall achieve it all by hopping between large, solid, ancient rocks stuck in the river course and that we have reinforced with the stone taken from the Kord Peak excavations. Working platforms have been established atop each of the four large rocks we shall be using, and a swaybridge is already finished connecting Bezletside to the first rock. I have hopes that the second shall be completed within the week.

“We await with interest to see the damage that the rainy season shall bring. We fervently hope that none shall occur, of course, but there is an argument that says we should delay building the sturdier bridges until we see that the foundations for it shall not be undermined.

“Barge traffic could be accommodated already, but there is none happening, nor is there likely to be anything for quite a while, since the tow paths do not exist as yet. Now we are working on the West Bank, there may be a chance for creating one over there, but as yet the details are unknown. Bargemaster Steef assures me though that one particular barge is under construction down in Haligo that, if the trials prove good, would not require tow paths at all – eventually! Of course, tow path pulling would still be available to it, but 'tis designed to be used without. We estimate there shall be a year from now before this amazing vessel shall be in proper service, so our draw rope ferry fleet can be expanded at least until then, since they shall not interfere with any other river traffic.”

He paused and mentally ticked off items from a list he carried in his head.

“Methinks, Your Honour, that is all from Brayview and Bezlet.”

“Thank you, Master Bezan. Representative Jepp, what is next on the agenda?”

“Finances, Your Honour.”

“Ah yes. If you would?”

My ears pricked up at the tone His Honour had used. This sounded to me like there might be something interesting about to occur.

Jepp cleared his throat whilst he shuffled a few papers in front of him, glancing through them, swift reading some, discarding some, eventually extracting two which he placed precisely in front of himself, their sides lined up exactly.

Only then did he stand, clear his throat once more and begin.

“Your Highnesses, Milords, Your Honour, Mistresses and Masters, valued guests, today is the 14th of Keruvil in the year 1175 since the Great Flood. I have this morning received from Master Schild the figures for the completed month of Pertulin this year – last month in other words. I am glad to be able to announce that the trend we have observed in recent months has continued. Receipts from the sales of our goods, being principally of course coal, but with a now noticeable rise in the sales of the stone products as the Stone Sea quarrying is ever waxing, have increased - and have this time increased more rapidly than our costs. Should this trend continue, I deem that we shall have a balance between income and expenditure by the end of this year. However, we must all remember that there is the rainy season to come in the not-too-distant future, so our income levels are likely to drop then.

“It is to be emphasised that Her Highness, our Liege Lady, has generously contributed to our accounts and that she has declared her wish to receive no income for herself from the levying of taxes. For which, we have expressed our gratitude and I formally mention it again here in the presence of her husband, Prince Keren of Palarand.”

He paused as all around the table uttered appropriate words and clapped. The Prince bowed his head in acknowledgement.

“However! Her Highness may not be levying taxes FOR HERSELF, but I deem we must consider the fact that the citizens of her lands should perchance be taxed in order to raise some income to pay for the community services such as the Country Guards and their barracks and so on, maintenance and funding of such things as roads, railroads, barges, bridges and the like. These surely cannot be forever more down to Her Highness' expense.

“Already the population of our Town has more than quadrupled from the level 'twas at when she first arrived here and I for one deem it unfair to expect that Her Highness should continue to pay for the construction of everyone's homes and all the rest. We shall have even more citizens arriving in the near future; should Her Highness pay also for them?

“At the time of her visit here last year, a census was taken so we know exactly who was here then; she made promises to those people. We can determine who has arrived since, and are therefore outside the scope of those promises.

“We must needs, I deem, consider this matter carefully and come to some conclusion at our next monthly meeting. Taxes are never a popular thing with the populace but I remain confident that all shall still be pleased since they shall be paying so much less than anywhere else they might go. We can always make refunds should we find we are over-endowed with coin. By levying a purely local tax, then our tax demands would be far lighter than anywhere else in the entirety of Palarand.

“So I shall mark this down as a discussion point for the next main monthly meeting. Please come prepared for it.”

At the rather abrupt silence, he turned just a shade redder in the face, but he sat back down, sitting on his seat with a stiff back, showing no repentance for his words. He simply showed that he was waiting for His Honour to take back control of the meeting.

I had glanced at His Honour and saw a few things happen which made some things clear to me.

One – I saw that he already knew that this statement was going to be made.

Two – Both he and the Prince nodded to each other so I was sure that those two at least had had some basic discussions on the subject.

And, three – He looked all round the table swiftly and smiled at something, fleetingly, but I know I saw it cross his features. My mind started furiously thinking of a way to find out what THAT was all about.

I did not have to wait long, though.

“It pleases me enormously that there has been no sign of shock, or horror, or resentment on any of your faces. Indeed, I remarked some nods of approval. As the Representative said, please come to the next main meeting, the monthly one, not any that might be called at short notice, with your ideas about taxation already formulated.

“Now, does anyone else have anything to say about the 'past and present'? Please speak now before we move onto what shall happen in the future in the various areas of our responsibilities.”

There was a silence which was broken by Mistress Lendra, somewhat hesitantly.

“If it pleases this Assembly, I have an observation to make regarding we healers. Actually, more than one. It is becoming clear that we are too few. And it is becoming clear that the Town is becoming too large. Yesterday, I personally was called to the Dam area in the morning and the Artisans' Area in the afternoon with four other requirements all over the closer Town. Of those six, only one was of any urgency. And then there were follow up visits to other cases. I had also scheduled some training time with one apprentice I have but that had to be cancelled. I have discussed this with the other healers who also have the same problems. We know not how to ease this situation. But it is becoming more and more urgent. Soon someone will need us and we shall not be readily available.”

The Steward replied: “We have sent downvalley a list of requirements for people we need here, and healers were near the top of that list. I have no better news however to give you. This is something we need to treat with a certain amount of urgency, I deem. Does anyone have any suggestions?”

All thought about it and I felt the stirrings of an idea. When no-one had said anything for several moments, I raised a hand a little diffidently.

“Mistress Julina?” said the Captain in acknowledgement.

“Now I am not saying that my situation is the same as those of our poor overstretched healers, but I have been thinking about ways to make my own life simpler, for I too am stretched in many directions. Once the Market Place Mansion is finished, I deem I can have a sort of office there for the mornings, and people who need to see me can come to me there. Most of my afternoons shall still probably be in the Salon. But would it not be possible for a healer to have a like arrangement? An office somewhere where minor ailments can be treated and where an apprentice could learn. And maybe that more or less permanently positioned apprentice could direct urgent cases to wherever the healer might be if they have been called away? I haven't thought this through of course as the whole thing has only just been raised, but maybe there is something along these lines that could work?”

The Steward shook his head and said: “I do NOT understand why we have not made use of women's talents for all these many years. Here is yet another instance of clear and simple thinking that would be of benefit. Mistress Lendra, what think you?”

“I deem that there is indeed a kernel of excellence in that suggestion. But how long would it be before something suitable could be built? And how would we decide where to put it?”

“Errm, Mistress Lendra,” I answered. “If you don't mind a little noise, I deem that the lower floor of the Frolicsome Frayen is basically finished with but little left to do. We cannot open it as an inn until the upper floor is completed, thus you could have part of that lower floor while your own place is being built. It would involve a certain amount of moving items currently stored there, but I dare say something could be managed relatively swiftly.”

Master B then said: “That would be an excellent suggestion. I can however report that soon the space there is scheduled to be used as storage for all the items of furniture that shall be required. Mayhap we could find somewhere else entirely for the furniture storage, but 'twould delay slightly the opening of the Frolicsome Frayen. Mistress Lendra?”

“That is almost a dream come true. I can scarce credit it. Thank you Julina. Let us all think of solutions, either for a 'Healers' Home' or for temporary furniture storage.”

“Make it so!” said the Steward. Several compliments were called my way, which managed to achieve a warming blush to my cheeks. I noticed Davabet looking at me with a certain amount of hero-worship. I would need to stamp that out as soon as I might. Her face changed as a thought hit her. She began to think furiously.

The Steward then called for anyone else with any other subjects that would fall under the heading of the 'past and present' category.

A moment or two of silence was broken by the Steward once more. “Very well. Now, Master Bezan has requested the presence of a guest or two today, to explain some new knowledge, or new ways of applying knowledge that has recently come to light. Master Bezan?”

“Your Highnesses, Milords, Your Honour, valued colleagues and guests. Indeed, some few things have come up recently which I deem shall change our thinking – again!

“We heard the reports of the Retreat a little while ago, so what I would like to address first is something, or, better said, some things, that came about because of events down there. To start with, I shall ask Mistress Senidet to speak.”

He gestured to her, then stood and exited the room, obviously intent on some task.

“Your Highnesses, Milords, Your Honour, Masters and Mistresses of the Assembly and valued guests. I wish to change your thinking about a few things, some gentle changes and a few more radical. But first, I shall explain how it came about.

“Down at the Retreat when we were there to test the facilities, Mistress Julina here was in charge, but stayed mostly in the kitchens. She did, I must emphasise, a superb job and she foresaw much that would happen and catered for nearly all eventualities by thinking things through in advance.

“However, in all the lists she drew up of expected requirements, she forgot a piece of kitchen equipment. Which was fortunate, since 'twas the lack of that which produced the thoughts behind most of what I am about to tell you.

“Between us, we came up with a design for something usable made from odd materials that we found down there. Master Bezan has actually gone out to fetch the device we devised that I might make some demonstrations to you. But I can tell you now that the fundamental idea I had had all my life of simple scales was quite thrown out.

“Whilst he is fetching the equipment, I must now mention two important characters who reside downvalley in the Palace. As I am sure you are all aware, Her Highness allocated certain responsibilities to certain people in the event she was called away for other duties. We all thought this was a remote possibility, but the actuality occurred.

“Your Highness, Prince Keren, please forgive me for pointing out that, in one way, it could be said that actually you are NOT in charge of Blackstone Lands. But as Her Highness was called away AFTER this journey was underway, then there is naturally some confusion as to currently actual roles. As we are all aware, Her Highness laid out what was to happen in the event of her being unavailable. Captain Bleskin here and you,” she gestured widely with one hand, “the Assembly, would continue to run the Blackstone lands, whilst Blackstone House, Blackstone Hotel and the development of Her Highness' ideas are under the 'rule' if you like of Mistress, nay Guildswoman or soon to be, I am sure, Guildmistress, Milsy and the governorship of Milord there, Count Terinar.

“Milsy – excuse me, I should say Guildswoman Milsy - invented the special clocks I have installed in the Bellringers' and in His Honour's house – and which I shall soon install in this very room – amongst other things. She and her husband, Guildmaster Tarvan, are the world's leading experts on electrics and I have learned much from them. They both have a heavy influence upon the things that I recently realised. Indee ...”

She broke off as Master B came in with our makeshift scales and placed it, them, on a table. There were murmurs of surprise as others saw the odd design for the first time. I looked closely, for I recognised that Senidet had 'improved' it by using better materials and things that only became available upon our return.

“Yes! Isn't it strange? I too, before this, had only ever seen scales where each side were two identical pans or whatever. And most of them balance over a pivot, or a sharp-edged metal bar. Mistress Julina here told me we could achieve the same result by dangling the pans on a cord over a beam. She then kicked my thought processes into action by explaining something obvious, but to which I had never given a thought – the two sides of the balance do NOT need to be identical items, just of identical weight!”

There were several murmurs as others round the table tried to grasp that concept.

“So that is what we have here. A pan, open, currently empty, nestling in a cradle so that items can be added to the pan with less difficulty. The cradle is dangling from this cord which rises to a beam on which we have a wheel. The cord passes over the wheel, which you can see is indented so the cord does not slip off, and the cord then descends to this hook here. Known weights can then be hung from the hook, and the objective is achieved. These leather pouches are weights we made up.

“But there is a problem here. The hook does not weigh the same as the pan in the cradle. How do we get around that? Quite easily actually. This pouch here, I have marked it but its size gives it away really, weighs the same as the pan and cradle.” She hung the pouch on the hook and the two sides then balanced.

There were a few gasps from the audience and a few murmurs of “How simple” and “Of course” and so on.

“But then Julina, your pardon, Mistress Julina, said something which only registered with me a few heartbeats later. And it is so basic, so fundamental, that my thinking immediately went along new and fresh channels, as will yours when you understand the principles.”

She paused and the audience all leant forward slightly in anticipation.

“Once balanced, it takes only a fingertip to raise or lower the item being weighed.”

She broke off again and looked expectantly round the table. At faces that were as blank as mine. Except, naturally, for Master B.

“It hit me then, like a bolt of lightning. Even our relatively small steam engines could THEORETICALLY lift a laden wagon!”

The shouts of 'Maker!' from the Guildmasters around the table were almost deafening. Senidet's call to them to quieten fell on deaf ears as the concept stirred up those men into excited discussions of the possibilities. It took the Steward's parade ground tones to re-establish some sort of order.

“Thank you, Your Honour!” She waited a moment or so more until everyone had finally settled down once again. “You must remember that I said theoretically. There are some practical difficulties. But they can be solved – over time – although I do see a quite major complication.

“Let me say for now that using ropes will be inadequate, for they stretch and so on. Guildmaster Tarvan, apart from his electrical duties, has also some responsibilities in the area of wire production. Not just electrical wire, but all the way up to thick things that have been named 'cables' and are made of twisted strands of steel. These can be used for not only rope-like pullings, hangings and danglings, but also as supports for walls and even for support of things like bridge posts and so on.”

Again, she paused.

“Or equipment to lift and lower laden wagons!”

She paused again just then, before going on to say: “But steel cables weigh a lot. How can we transport long enough lengths of cables with the wagons we have available right now? We would have to transport shorter bits and find some way to join those bits together to make a cable long enough. And that needs to be a neat join lest it is too fat to pass over the wheels we would employ, or too fat for any other cable … guides.

“Also, if we are to dangle all this from a beam, that beam must be sturdy enough for the strains. Remember it shall require to support twice the weight of a laden wagon, should we be weighing laden wagons! This will take time to develop, but I tell you now, it is POSSIBLE.

“When I visited one of the steelworks with Guildmaster Tarvan and Guildswoman Milsy, I saw the workers there using a steam engine to lift loads up to the heights they wanted. Those loads were not balanced so there was a finite limit as to the weight that could be carried. I asked one of the men there what they called that apparatus and he said 'Hissi' that is h,i,s,s,i. Afterwards I realised that I wasn't sure if he meant just the cage-like thing the load was in, or whether he meant the entirety, so I now refer to the entirety as a hissi.

“What this means, Your Honour, amongst many other things, is the earlier-arriving possibility of something that Her Highness wanted to make for you and Captain Merek. I heard her and Milsy talking one day and apparently there is a place called 'The Lookout' which takes a lot of getting to. Her Highness wanted to have a hissi that would speed up that process, and now ...”

She broke off as the Captain raised a hand, a question writ large upon her face.

“Ah! A heartbeat, please. I must needs remember something. Her Highness called it that not – let me see, 'twas a long while ago, in her early days even. She estimated 'twould take ten or twenty years if I recall properly. Now what did she name it?” He looked over at Prince Keren as if for help.

We all kept quiet whilst they thought.

Then His Honour said: “Levitator, was it? Something like that anyway.”

“Yes, I believe you have it Captain; if not exactly that, 'twas something very close to it. And I seem to recall she estimated ten to fifteen years.”

The Captain nodded in agreement. He continued: “But Mistress Senidet, to have that – which indeed would be a great boon – the steel cable would have to be so long, I deem we should not be able to support it let alone transport it.”

“Ah but, Your Honour, there is another solution. Again 'twas Julina who pointed out the way. For she made several weighings of smaller sizes to achieve the total she required. I realised then that the journey up the cliff there does not HAVE to be done all in one go. There could be several stages. Say lift the man to a ledge a quarter of the way up. Then the next stage gets up to the halfway mark, leaving from a few strides further along the first stage's ledge.”

“Ah!” breathed His Honour in appreciation, “and so on. Probably easier in construction too. Well done Mistresses Senidet and Julina. Well done indeed.”

“There is more, Your Honour. By not having to have a wagon being balanced by another wagon, we could ease the bottleneck at the dam. A small-in-size balancing weight would allow space perchance for a second pulley there. And we could also perchance build a new dam far more easily, being able to manipulate larger and heavier stones for example. And a new dam is to be recommended, but I must needs leave that for Master Bezan to explain.

“Taking now a slightly different tack for a little while, by using Her Highness' new numberings we have found out why the Chivans constructed their dam at a relatively wider part of the Vale. There is a far narrower part nearer Town, which would have been ideal, but our calculations show that the surface level there would have been just a stride or so too low to bring water to the Cistern. But that is no longer a requirement. With steam-engine driven pumps we can handle the water demands. And,” she added with a glint in her eyes, “as soon as all these foreigners have left the Community Hall, the water demands shall be so much less.”

Everyone laughed at that and Master Bezan pointed out that she herself was now one of those foreigners.

“And when we have a new dam, we can make the roads there so much better, more efficient. But I deem that priorities will be difficult to allocate. A problem which I know has been here forever!

“So I can safely say that a new dam is now a much closer possibility than it was last week. And the hissi at the Lookout. Or the 'Levitator'. Or whatever it is to be called.”

“Thank you, Mistress Senidet.” Master Bezan said as he took back the control of the meeting and swung round to address them, us, all.

“As she has so adequately demonstrated we have new options in the way that we think. And, as always, it means juggling priorities. We have much building going on and our carpenters and joiners are at full stretch. We require as much wood as we can fell, which is why I have directed that the planned railroad route be cleared as a priority, for there we shall not be replanting as Her Highness sensibly directed. This route you will remember follows closely the foot of the valley wall on the east from where the Forest begins up here, all the way down to Bezlet.

“With the arrival of gunpowder we are now much more able to cut a shallow incline from behind what we call the foot of Strettalm down to the main valley floor. By digging out a trench on the upper levels, the removed rock can be laid down below to create an inclined plane from the bottom of the excavated bit down to the valley floor proper. A bit like cutting out a sloping wedge of cake and then inverting it so we get one continuous plane.

“I would remind us all that we are now but weeks away from the rainy season and I would recommend that we now concentrate on matters that needs be finished before the rains or needs be protected from those rains. So we should for instance finish the buildings as far as we might so they are sealed from the precipitation. This means that no new builds should be commenced, except maybe the building to replace poor Wagras'. And we have to be careful that anything we do now shall not be washed away – for instance the inclined plane below Strettalm!

“Here in Town, all this means The Frolicsome Frayen, the Market Place Mansion and several of the planned buildings in the barracks area; not all of the buildings there will be able to be completed, so I deem we should not break ground for any more, but finish what we have. There are also several homes that could and should be completed in the areas between the Dam Road and East Street, and a couple between East Street and Main Street. I state now, plainly and openly, that I include the finishing of my own home in the list of priorities, but I shall make sure that that resides at the bottom of such a list.

“Over in the Artisans' Area, we shall NOT have time to complete fully the new road that runs along the north side of the west side, that runs from the 'Tree Refreshments' to the Stone Sea road. I deem we shall just about manage to have it all levelled, and at least the central stonework of a Michen Method road laid.

“We have made a start also on the Inn which is to be over there, the 'Stoop' as Mistress Julina has named it. We shall be able to definitely finish the ground floor of the main building, and the stabling and outrooms including the kitchens and bath houses. We shall try to add the upper floor to the Inn, but reserve the right to cancel that if other works shall cause delay. The lower floor shall at least be covered before the rains, with windows installed ...”

That was the greater part of what Master B had to say and the Assembly accepted his reports with both thanks and enthusiasm.

Others spoke on varying other matters, Em was particularly interesting to me as she reported what the citizens were reporting to her. Eventually, the meeting was winding down.

The Captain was just shuffling some notes and I knew he was about to introduce a new topic.

Davabet leaned forward to me at that point and whispered something in my ear which made me hastily raise my hand for attention.

“Mistress Julina?”

“If it pleases you Your Highness, Milords, Your Honour and worthy Assembly members, my companion here has just whispered to me a suggestion for a solution to a problem from earlier. She has recently been able to wander the Town and had learnt, seen, observed much. Davabet would like to make a suggestion regarding the siting of the Healers' House.”

All attention was turned upon Davabet, who blushed and blanched at the same time, not something I had hitherto believed to be possible.

Tremblingly she said: “Oh no. I couldn't! I'm not worthy of this attention.”

“Oh come, Mistress Davabet.” said His Honour encouragingly. “If you have something that Mistress Julina deems worthy of saying, please do. We shall not laugh at you, nor tear you limb from limb. We welcome suggestions. Please tell us.”

I held her hand tight as she trembled, on the verge of tears. I nodded at her and we could all see her screw up her courage.

“Errrrmm … there is a … there exists … a … a ... passageway ...”

She faltered back down to silence once more, her handing gripping mine so tightly I was sure I would never get any blood back into it.

“Go on,” I said in my best soothing motherly voice. “You can do this! Just pretend you're telling me or Surtree or your parents over the family table.”

Lendra came across to her and hugged her whilst asking: “Where, child? Where have you spotted?”

“'Tis 'twixt the Miners' Hall and their Kitchens and Showers. I imagine that a roof could easily be placed over that and ...”

Davabet started crying and sat down with a thump.

Even Lendra and I started crying when the entire company rose and applauded my new-found companion.


up
151 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The thorny issue of taxes

Well, there will no doubt be idiots who think some of the taxes will go to Garia no matter what they've been told.

The assembly meetings will be that much more fractious now that money is involved. They will probably have to split into subcommittees just to keep everything efficient. The beginnings of bureaucracies just to manage the pure scale of the enterprise they are facing.

This whole chapter is really about learning the art of delegation imho. Julina has already started delegating management responsibilities to some folks. Her father will soon have to do the same given he has 30 people under him (and growing.)

All I can say to Bleskin is 'Think Big' ^_^.

And there will be no doubt some 'Small Government' blowhards who don't understand that staffing scales must increase with population.

In the U.S., the 'small government' folks just wind up with contractors who may very well cost more and will not have persistence of experience because they will be hired and fired at will and will have to relearn something a 'bureaucrat' knows well, over and over and over ....

And imho probably not cost any less.

BTW, I currently have the tortu .... erm, Pleasure! Yes!, that's it, Pleasure! ^_~ of rereading this epic, and we should all thank Julia for the hard work and attention to detail to make Anmar so alive for us.

Finally, it will be fascinating to see what happens to this epic after Garia comes back from Earth. Julina learning English alone will be worth a few giggles.

Back to the story. Isn't Tarvan a Craftmaster at this point or did I miss a promotion somewhere?

Does Julina get the exclusivity license on this new scale or will they share it?

Tarvan

Is one of 3 people in his craft, with the exception of those doing welding experiments and questors,the promotion is likely one of necessity

We have, I suspect, a timeline hic ...

As far as the Milsy tale is concerned, Tarvan is indeed a Craftmaster.

BUT, this tale is running currently some six months in the future from the Milsy tale ... (Penny is aware - no, better said, Penny has indicated - that I may call him a Guildmaster, so I deem that this might happen in the Milsy tale in the future, if Penny remembers. Of course, Senidet is young, so maybe she just stumbled over the difference???)

Buried in the Appendices is somewhere a representative timeline, but this is updated only rarely to avoid spoilers. It can be found right at the bottom of the 'Times and Bells' one.

Because of this time slip, I am trying not to take Julina too far, hoping that Penny will get Milsy closer in time ....

But that doesn't work too well at the moment.

So I am pressing on with Julina up to the departure of the Royal Party, then I expect there will be a short break (alas, without a word from our sponsors since we have none *grins*)

Thanks for the praise.

J

*dimples and drops a small curtsey*

Thinking back

I think Tarvan is called a Guildmaster at the ball turned battle, so you are good

Don't remember that

He was not announced as Guildmaster when he entered the do with Garia et al.

Well in either case

There was still plenty of time for him to earn the title, and regardless he is the highest ranking member of the electrical division, and even if you count Garia as one of their division, Tarvan has more practical experience so in his case what rank you call him is just a formality, perhaps it was needed to allow him to direct wire factory development

Spelling correction...

Would you please change 'burts' to 'burst'? Thank you.

If they do it right (taxes)

It won't be too bad, and it will be a useful tool for guiding the development to coincide with zoning, so long as they see it being used for their benefit I doubt it will be a major issue, some might actually be eager to aid in development. Remember how much they donated to the Claw? And think about how much Garia has paid for, her funds have bootstrapped massive development and provided job and business opportunities they could scarce believe, if Garia won't take their coin, they will feel that it is their duty to make sure she doesn't have to give up more of hers, at least for a decade or so, the main thing is that Garia and the Assembly have delivered on their promises and then some, they have been doing the job, they will be getting something in return, unlike when the government uses taxes to make politicians rich

Sorry but I am cynical

There will always be people who want to not pay their taxes because they disagree as to what is a 'benefit to them.' As an example, I don't have kids going to school yet my property taxes go to pay for their schooling. Fair? Probably not but am I getting a break on it? No.

Places where they can't agree on what should their taxes be used for have wound up with no trash services, no street lamps etc because somehow the conservatives decided that, hey, 'less chance of government somehow wasting their tax dollars.' They seem to believe they should be able to line item and pay for things that only benefit 'them' and nobody else, like our current corporate welfare state, where somehow corporations are willing to pay out money to Foreign shareholders, monies they earned from using in-country talent, infrastructure etc, but god forbid they want to pay anything towards it, even as they demand ridiculous tax loopholes, 'depletion alllowances' etc. Somehow they are able to rigged the laws to 'pay their fair share' /sarcasm. 'Oh yes, we are so 'law abiding' since we dictated the law in the first place.'

I don't believe that Blackstone will be any different once things start to get better, when their money is what is being used to support their infrastructure and welfare programs. Hey, there are no church charities here, remember, nor have I heard of any 'foundations' for supporting the poor, so the government is it.

Nope, there will be the inevitable turmoil due to money.

OTOH, I do support Blackstone/Palarand's use of prisoners to work off their debt to society. No wasted jail space for warehousing people etc.

Shooling

good school system means property value goes up, so you can sell more easily, and for a higher price, there will be turmoil, but it will be a while, before it REALLY sets in, as for charities and foundations, they will crop up, as the middle class grows, there are just as many people who like to help others as there are assholes that like to screw people over. Think about how their society is, there's is one where the people are expected (unless in a really big town) to provide for their liege's needs, and again Garia doesn't like taking things for free, until things settle, they will see this as the middle ground.

Definitely a good way to help

Definitely a good way to help get her abilities to talk in front of others, especially those whom she sees as her betters. Also helps with her confidence which Julina is really going to need from her as she does her work she hired on to do.

Notes

Royal party leaves 2 weeks from this point, there is still quite a bit they can do during the rains, coal and stone traffic (and traffic in general) will die down, they might not be able to transport enough to supply the blast furnaces, but there are other projects they can do, for one they will have their first real life test on the drainage systems for the new roads, if anything is lacking, they will have to use steam powered pumps to compensate, in addition they can use the drainage ditches, some of them at least to help coal transport, they just won't be able to do much exterior construction, a small fleet of drainage barges to supplement coal and stone traffic is doable, and the boat builder they requested for the underground lake has to have arrived by now, they needn't use true barges either, they could modify wagons or make something a few steps above a raft to put heavy wagons on, they can also order the cables for experiments.

I don't agree with the decision to make the dam at the lower point and pump the difference, but that has to do with power generation more than anything and the fact that if they power the pumps with hydro power in the future. Given the local climate, I personally wouldn't be surprised if amphibious wagons become popular, or mini barges wagons can ride on, even if they are little more than rafts, especially now that they are industrializing, they don't want the weather to hinder them too much so they might as well make it work for them.

Small drainage cannal barges to supplement the wagons

Thinking about it, if they do it right they might be able to keep up with the demand throughout the rains, limestone demand will shrink considerably, it will be just the blast furnaces that will need it, concrete will not be made because no one will be building much in the rains, coal demand will shift more towards the blast furnaces and metal works, as use for glass and bricks with go down, again because no one will be building anything, the steel could then go towards cable and structural material that Senidet's ideas will call demand for

Help!

When (what chapter) did Blackstone become a 'County'?

I know it was county sized but I can't remember a change in its designation as well.

Why not use the Community Hall, during rains and winter, to house the healers with temp walls that can be moved about. Then draw plans and build it in spring.

Will someone (Keren, Milsy, Merry, and/or Terry) get Marilin to start teaching English over the rainy season?

Not a lot of point

in teaching English until Garia actually returns. If she doesn't, then all that effort is wasted.
Yes, WE know she does make it back - but, at this moment in time, the Palarandis do not.
Therefore no English lessons yet.
At least not for the masses.
In the main story, focus was on Gary's activities back on Earth. Who knows what happened in Palarand/Great Valley during that period? Maybe Maralin has been training people to be teachers of English so that that can all swing into action as soon as G returns. No story has yet reached that point.

THIS story is dealing with matters in BLACKSTONE while G was away

As regards the county business - it was back in #61 - quote:

“There is a lot going on at Tamitil nowadays, I deem the mills there - yes, the Steward has decreed that the second mill shall be operative as soon as possible - the mills there are to produce all the flour for all of Her Highness' lands, which have now been officially designated as Blackstone County. Although I know not of any Count involved.

end quote

Finally, the Community Hall is perched up on a hillside overlooking the town, it is not central. They need to be fairly central. At least, that is the current thinking.

I fully expect

Them to find ways to work during the rains and the winter, even construction, it will be difficult sure, but that's nearly half the year, also having it attached to the Miners' hall means that they will likely learn some semblance of first aid, besides which, Maralin also has important culinary knowledge to spread, to ensure the food they have is used to it's fullest, and such, techniques like pickling (they didn't know the word pickle when Garia used it in an expression), jerky, smoking (make use of the tougher cuts), pasteurization (not culinary exactly but he should know the process), canning (he might dislike it, but there is nothing better at long term food storage, cryogenics isn't perfect and costs constant energy, and sometimes destroys the food, without plastic you can't truly vacuum pack, and preservatives are their own problem) and canned foods were the first MREs, with his military rank, he may have to introduce that, not to mention snacks that will last well in a paper package, such as pretzels (they can make bread, so pretzels should be doable)

One difficulty there

is that Maralin is sworn to Joth, which is where he dwells - so isn't likely to make things up in Blackstone, hundreds of marks away and in a different country.
And Julina is the Blackstone Times reporter so at the moment the reports are coming from there.

His knowledge might make it up there, but it would take time.

I don't see the problem

We just won't see the results of his activities until much later, Blackstone being the trade stop it has become and housing the Consortium of Caterers, information about what he introduces may come sooner but regardless my point was that he has stuff to do during Garia's absence that doesn't involve teaching English, he might accompany his Duke there once there's a working railroad as it's in the interest of all the various rulers to see what is to come especially with the distance limiting accurate news that gets to their people, the leaders traveling around and the residents will for a time be the primary source of reliable news across the valley for the general populous, besides it won't be long before Joth sees the effects of Paralandi industry, after the first steam barge is proven, it won't be long before steam ships start becoming a common sight across the Sirrel, and not just the ones built in Paraland, if good coal is found on the Vardenale side of Ptuvilend, then they will be putting out a good amount of ships, being the primary sea cost of the Valley, and having the raw materials closer to the primary water traffic route, a blast furnace in Vardenale will enable industry to flourish down the length of the Valley, Paraland would export machines so they wouldn't be in direct competition

I would like to point out

They have a little over a month before the rains start, in Central Paraland and those parts of the valley, which will signify when long distance traffic slows down, if the timeline of the previous year is anything to go by, an additional week before they really start in Blackstone, roughly, now even though much of the area they need to clear for a towpath is forested and indeed the length takes about 2 days by wagon total, though if work is being done on the Tranidor side at the same time speed will increase, if they start very soon, they should be able to complete it before the rains, perhaps even get a few barges in to bolster the supplies for the blast furnaces enough for them to find ways to overcome the transport difficulties and make sure they keep the furnaces running year round. The reason why I say they can clear the towpaths in that time despite the inherent difficulties of hand tools and transport with that distance is because they can have rope pulled vessels to aid in transportation and getting the wood out, however, they might deem such an undertaking a stretch, though they may direct clearing efforts on the east and west banks, more for the nearby wood than to complete the towpaths, meaning they won't travel as far out, however, some of the wood may be used to set up line-shafts for the carpenters and joiners, if their shops aren't already equipped, it will allow them to build the prefabricated modules faster, provided of course, the saws, lathes, drills and plainers as well as the leather belts to power them, who knows, they might decide to mount a steam powered saw (with engine) on a cart/wagon, to aid in logging operations, but this will probably have to wait till spring to be used, getting the surfacing stones for the lane to Tamitil and other roads they could use concrete, employing residue from blast mining as aggregate.