It's Complicated - Part 16 "Rock & A Hard Place"

Printer-friendly version
 It's Complicated  

Part
 
Sixteen

 

"Rock And A Hard Place"

 

 
This is the seventh book in the Tamara's Tales (formerly Tommy & Tamara) series. For the whole saga visit Tamara's Tales
 

 
New Years Day 2016
 

Tammy dragged herself into the shower at eight thirty, finding coffee and toast when she returned to her bedroom. She had a clear head, she'd enjoyed just a single glass of sparkling wine at midnight and had otherwise avoided alcohol. Her problem had been that she'd only fallen into her bed around two, after helping clear up and shoo the children upstairs.

Finlay had found an amplifier and speakers from somewhere and connected the kit to his laptop to provide the music. With the basement door closed they could ramp up the volume, although not as far as Spinal Tap would have preferred.

Tanya and John had declined, Tammy finally found out that John had spent several hours at Thurso's Dunbar Hospital that afternoon having his wound checked, it transpired he had an infection that was causing him pain. Dancing, or drinking, would not be on his agenda for a while yet.

Tanya's condition was an unknown quantity, Tammy could only hope that she was distracted enough by John's injury that she wasn't pondering her own issues. It was only six weeks to their wedding, was that still on?

Happy New Year, indeed.

Daisy and Finlay, or perhaps Florence, were in Elsie's pool whilst Elsie and Cathy were in the study discussing something important. Michael has stayed with Mark the previous night and Helen, where was Helen?

Tammy had seen her fleetingly the previous evening but something was clearly amiss. Elsie had, thankfully, let Tammy know some of her intentions and it seemed Helen had now been told some home truths.

The biggest issue with Helen was that she refused to find a job or restart her studies. Simply put, she was freeloading. Of course money was not an issue but Elsie refused to allow any member of the family to just waste their life.

Cathy would be back at work, as a teacher at a primary school, in a few days time with the children restarting two days later. Michael was a student at UHI but also now had a Saturday job as a lifeguard at the sports centre, he'd also be there all next week. Elsie asked neither for a contribution to the running cost of the house but did not give handouts.

Most of Helen's money was now tied up, with much inaccessible until she was twenty-one. She'd followed good advice to invest as much of her liquid funds as was sensible and was drawing an income from the interest but Tammy also knew Helen had an income from a few sources. So, she was tempted to spend and do little else.

Elsie had asked if it was possible to block Helen's access to a certain global auction site, as well as the leading shopping sites, but Tammy had explained that such a block was technically nigh on impossible, as well as being questionable legally.

After Helen had received her exam results the previous August it had been suggested that she started an Open University course, but had seemingly ceased work on this. It wasn't that Helen didn't have the time, she had too much time.

Tammy could do nothing to help, she hadn't been there for months and any advice was now probably too late. Elsie had, Tammy knew, rewritten part of her will within the last week or so and had probably added the children but what else had been done?

Everyone was informed that Elsie had invited guests for Hogmanay lunch, so mid morning Tammy was looking for an appropriate dress. There was a knock on the door, Daisy was there, in her dressing gown.

"Aunt Tammy, I don't know what to wear?" Tammy sat down on her bed, bringing Daisy to near eye level.

"Well, I think you could get away with anything smart, but have you heard of the phrase 'dress to impress'?"

"Mum mentioned it once, when she was packing a nice dress ...." Daisy was on the point of tears, Tammy pulled her closer her over for a hug. "Was it a nice memory?"

"It was a nice dress but I was going back to school that afternoon and mum and dad were going away."

Daisy was now sobbing gently into Tammy's shoulder.

Tammy reached over to her bedside table and extracted a tissue from a box, drying Daisy's eyes once she'd stopped sobbing.

"Thank you Aunt Tammy."

There was another knock at her door, Florence came in wearing a peach knee length dress. She was carrying an identical one on a hanger.

"I found this, Daisy."

They'd bought these frocks from Sarah the previous afternoon but Daisy hadn't tried it on or even seen it before, Tammy had grabbed one in Daisy's size from the rack in the store room as an after thought.

Daisy's face brightened and she slipped off the dressing gown, revealing her underwear. Florence quickly helped Daisy into it and zipped her up, she went across to Tammy's full length mirror.

"I look grown up! Come here Florence!" Tammy could see the suggestion of a bust on Daisy but there was no doubt about Florence's development.

Florence joined Daisy at the mirror but her real attention was into the open wardrobe.

"Aunt Tammy, you have a peach dress as well! We'll match!"

Tammy hadn't wanted to spoil the mood but needed to inject some common sense.

"Girls, you do know who'll be at lunch?"

"Doctor McIntosh?"

"Yes, and Mrs McIntosh. I believe Reverend Franklin will also be there."

"Oh." Florence was now clearly concerned.

"'Oh', indeed. Did you want to change?"

She twisted in her dress, pouting. "Don't you think they'll like it?"

"What I mean, Florence, is whether you're ready to tell them?"

"Don't you think Mrs Smart has already done that? She'll be at lunch as well, won't she?"

"Yes, and my father. He's the Chairman on the governing body."

"So, everyone who can make a decision will be there?"

"Yes, Florence." Tammy knew that Elsie had deliberately invited this group of people together to discuss Finlay and gently introduce Florence, but there wasn't going to be anything gentle about the way they would be meeting this very feminine child.

"How should I do my face?"

"Minimal, the same amount you'd be allowed in school. Daisy knows the rules, don't you?"

"Yes, Auntie. Come on, Florence."

The pair left Tammy's room, did Florence realise what she was doing? Tammy had doubts but had to let the girl discover the real world for herself.

Tammy pondered the peach dress from her own wardrobe but that would have suggested collusion, something that Joan would immediately jump on. She opted instead for a black and white butterfly affair.
 

Black and white butterfly dress
 

Tammy was sat at her dressing table when the next visitor arrived. Cathy shut the door then sat on Tammy's bed.

"Am I doing the right thing, Tammy?"

"By offering to take on the children?"

"Yes, it's not as if we've actually asked them?"

"True, Cathy, but I thought we needed to have as normal a Christmas as possible before we delve into all things legal?"

"That was the intention, Tammy, but mum's ready to throw the entire Scottish legal system at this."

Tammy laughed, when Elsie stuck her teeth into something, she usually got her way in a timescale she'd accept.

"Your mum's running against the clock, I'm not surprised she's wanting to push it."

"But, Tammy, as you said, is this what the children want? Of course Finlay is almost a young man, or woman."

"Indeed. Perhaps we need to ask them, before any other decisions are taken? Have you seen what they're wearing today, Cathy?"

"I haven't but I would guess they're smart?"

"Yes, except Florence is in attendance."

"The poor Reverend, he's not used to women, let alone those who aren't sure. Did you plan this?"

"No, Florence was already dressed when I saw her and I questioned her intentions."

"So we'll have to deal with this as it goes?"

There was a knock on the door, Daisy put her head around it.

"Can you check our make-up, Aunt Tammy? Oh, hello Aunt Cathy."

"Of course, come in."

Cathy fussed over them, sending Florence back to her room for a hairbrush. Tammy finished off her own warpaint before sitting next to Cathy.

"Florence, could you close the door?"

The two O'Shaughnessy-McPherson children stood demurely, waiting. Tammy decided to take the lead.

"Do you like it here?"

"Yes, Aunt Tammy" In unison.

"Grandma Elsie has promised to look after you but she's not well, so, if you'd like, Cathy will take that responsibility."

Tammy left it to hang but Daisy picked up straight away.

"So, Aunt Cathy, will you be our new mummy?"

---

There was barely enough time to repair four sets of make-up before they joined the newly-arrived guests in the lounge. Cathy held Florence's hand whilst Daisy was with Tammy. They had decided against a grand entrance but Anne McIntosh was near the door.

"Oh my!"

"Anne, may I present Miss Daisy O'Shaughnessy-McPherson and Miss Florence O'Shaughnessy-McPherson."

"Very pleased to meet you. Stephen!"

The Headmaster came over, as summoned. "Ah, young Miss O'Shaughnessy and ...." "Florence, Sir, although you know me better as Finlay."

"I see, please excuse me."

Anne laughed, quietly. "I'm sorry, he's not normally fazed like this."

Cathy interjected, "I'm planning to adopt them but I don't know if I'm adopting two girls or a boy and a girl?"

"Both, er, mum." Finlay was now having difficulty.

"So I see, although Sarah told me of your visit yesterday, I went in there after lunch so I was warned!"

Joan came over, most likely directed by the Head and took Tammy aside.

"What part do you have to play in this?"

"None, really. Florence was dressed like that when I saw her. You should know, however, that Cathy offered to adopt them and they accepted."

"Well, that complicates things?"

"I would have thought it simplified matters?"

"The local social services were looking for a fulltime placement for them, once the probate is concluded."

"And most likely split them, putting Daisy in a different school?"

"That would be likely."

"So that wouldn't be the best outcome for the children, would it?"

"No, but it doesn't always work that way."

"That's not acceptable, the children come first, always, any other result means they're not doing their job properly!"

"Sorry Tammy, but this is the real world and not some ideal place. Anyway, Cathy needs to start the paperwork next week, before we see that solicitor. Don't expect an easy ride from social services."

"I'll make sure Cathy and Elsie do that, does anyone get an easy ride with them?"

"Well, it's a necessary evil. Anyway, I've calmed the Head down, but the Reverend will want a chat with Finlay, I mean Florence."

"What's the Head's problem?"

"Just unexpected, it seems only Anne had prior knowledge?"

"She was in town yesterday afternoon. Okay, but what's the real question here?"

"Does Finlay attend as a boy or as a girl? If he won't stay as a boy all the time then he can't board. And if he attends as a girl she'll need medical confirmation, but there's also no spaces in the female boarding house."

"So he boards as a boy and spends the weekends here as whatever he wants to be? Daisy does similar?"

"That might work, and wouldn't need the Head to make any changes?"

"It's simple, and keeps Florence's exposure to a minimum."

"Okay, Tammy, that sounds like a workable plan. Oh, I forgot to mention last night that the surgery rang."

"Okay?"

"They've taken the children on as patients and want to see Finlay next Wednesday at ten."

"On Dr Adi's list?"

"Yes, I won't be able to take him."

"When are you back at work, mum?"

"From Monday, when are you returning to London?"

"I really don't know, not before they're back in school for sure."

"Suzie says she has to return after this weekend."

"Oh, she's said nothing to me."

"She had a call yesterday afternoon."

Tammy escaped from Joan and managed to check on the children before Thomas called them for lunch. Florence was with the Reverend and Richard whilst Daisy was with Cathy and Anne. Stephen McIntosh was in deep conversation with Elsie and Suzie was looking bored.

"Mum says you have to go back?"

"Yeah, Jenny called. They seem to think you can manage this by yourself now, despite Wednesday apparently."

"Oh, okay."

"I asked her about Wednesday and she wouldn't say, did something happen?"

"Yes, the bank robbery."

"That's got nothing to do with Jenny, though?"

"Correct, under normal circumstances."

"I see, but because we were protecting the children you did a report?"

"Yes."

"I see, nothing else happened did it?"

"No, Suzie."

They were saved by the bell.

Elsie had once again arranged the table according to her whims. Tammy found herself between the Reverend and the Headmaster, she escaped to the loo after the starter course.

"How's the conversation going Tammy?"

"I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place, Cathy. How's your side?"

"Joan and Anne, like nice cop, bad cop!"

"Which way round?"

"Ah, that would be telling!"

Elsie had the children either side of her, clearly demonstrating her protection. The buffers were Alison and Andrea, ensuring that neither girl suffered from incessant questioning.

"Miss Smart, you do know that I'm retiring at the end of this year?"

"I had heard, sir."

"Well, perhaps you could ensure I don't have a coronary before my last day? No more surprises, please."

"Your wife knew, surely someone said something?"

"I haven't been near a computer to check emails and I haven't checked my phone messages for a few days. I see that the school is intact."

"There were two intruders, in the early hours of Christmas Day, sir."

"Oh?"

"They didn't get in and are in the capable hands of the Met Police, but they were after the O'Shaughnessys. The caretaker deserves a thank you, sir."

"I'll deal with that, I'll need a report?"

"My father can provide that, it's probably already in your inbox."

"Good."

"Now, you need to be aware that the police are currently looking for Martina Gore."

"Has she run away?"

"So to speak, along with her uncle. We believe they are heading to Finlay and Daisy's parents' house."

"I see, how much of what you have told me is public knowledge?"

"None."

"So I'll keep an open mind and expect her back at school by the tenth."

"Indeed, sir."

The Reverend was, meanwhile, getting an update from Richard.

Lunch concluded sometime after two but no-one was leaving just yet. Cathy accompanied Florence into a meeting with Joan, the Reverend and the Head, although Tammy wasn't certain of the outcome.

"Why not, sis?"

"Angela, Finlay knows better than to answer back to the Headmaster, but Florence is in there."

"You make it sound like they're two people?"

"No, the same person but with two slightly different personalities."

"So who will come out of that meeting? The schoolboy who obeys authority or the schoolgirl who knows her way around authority?"

"I think Florence will, and that creates a problem."

up
401 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

handling a part time girl

most places would not be able to handle a kid switching back and forth.

DogSig.png

Hah. Who are you trying to

Hah. Who are you trying to kid? Most schools won't even cope with non-standard students of any stripe. if it doesn't fit into their bureaucratically mandated 'this is the model student', then they use a bigger hammer.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

that creates a problem

Alecia Snowfall's picture

"that creates a problem." ooh that seems to be the understatement indeed.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Tammy's troubles

Thanks for great story Shiraz . As a point of interest ,my three youngest grand daughters go to school with two trans girls who are cousins , the only objection coming from my daughter in law but the school is very protective of the girls . But then again, we are somewhat more enlightened down here in Oz and some homo/ trans phobics in the political field are getting a lot of flak for their comments and have crawled back under their rocks .

<em></em>

Definitely Bloody Complicated

joannebarbarella's picture

And not getting any less so.

Tammy's proposals for Finlay/Florence sound workable, but there's the SS (and I don't mean SchutzStaffel) to handle too. Elsie will probably be able to bulldoze them. You do have to feel sympathy for the head and the Reverend. They are decent old gentlemen trying to handle unprecedented situations.

Never a dull moment, Shiraz!

Together

Jamie Lee's picture

Siblings are not pet story animals which should be split up because some bureaucrat says it must happen. The kids are already stressed if they need to be adopted. And more than likely leaning on each other for support.

Finlay does seem not to care what the adults think, since he dressed as Florence for the meal, without regard to those attending. He also seems to be a person who once his mind is made up, there's no changing it.

It is amazing though, how one person can throw several adults for a loop. What's that say about those adults?

Others have feelings too.