It's Complicated - Part 15 "Conspiracy"

Printer-friendly version
 It's Complicated  

Part
 
Fifteen

 

"Conspiracy"

 

 
This is the seventh book in the Tamara's Tales (formerly Tommy & Tamara) series. For the whole saga visit Tamara's Tales
 

 
Wednesday 30th December 2015 (Continued)
 

Across the icy road, maybe 20m away, something was definitely going on in the bank; Florence said that at least four customers had left in a hurry. Tammy and Florence were inside a store, but Tammy had itchy feet, she reached for her bag.

"What are you thinking of doing, Aunt Tammy?" Florence whispered.

"Helping?"

"What good will that do, you're meant to be protecting me and Daisy?"

"Yeah, but ..."

"I overheard that Mr Brown talking to Grandma Elsie, he really likes you but thinks you jump with both feet instead of weighing a situation properly."

She'd have to ask Elsie about security later. "Okay." She took her hand away from her bag, her phone started ringing again.

"Yes, Dad, sorry I missed your call, we're in Superdrug ...... No, I'm not about to do anything stupid."

Across the road a car drove up outside the bank and waited, the driver was constantly scanning the street and was clearly nervous.

A familiar figure came past the store window then doubled back and came in. By now there was a small crowd of staff and customers in the window.

"Tammy, I hope you're not considering taking executive action?"

"No, Ben."

"Well, thankfully I'm trained for this sort of thing. Are you carrying?"

"Err, yes. In my bag."

Using his body to shield his activities, DS Ben Franklin reached into Tammy's bag and retrieved the Glock.

"Not enough time to explain, back shortly." He hid the weapon and left.

"Auntie, did I see that?"

"No, Florence, you didn't."

Sirens could now be heard in the distance but across the road three males were coming out of the bank; one fired a weapon into the air before they all jumped into the waiting car. It shot off towards the end of the road, where it would make a right turn to get out of town.

Tammy, and many others, emerged from the shops to see the fleeing bank robbers' vehicle disappear around the corner. Tammy heard two bangs and recognised the sound of her weapon, although no-one else had apparently made the connection. The sirens were now much closer and very soon there was plenty of shouting - and barking.

Tammy wanted to go ahead to see what was going on but Florence had hold of her hand and wasn't going to let go. Ben could now be seen trotting back towards them, he indicated for Tammy to move away from the crowd before he slid alongside to drop the weapon back in her bag.

He gave Tammy a kiss on the cheek and wandered off, before she had an opportunity to ask what he'd done. Her phone rang again.

"Okay, Dad, we'll meet you there."

She put the phone away.

"We're off to the library, Florence."

A bemused Florence walked away with Tammy as police officers arrived at the bank, no-one it seems had paid attention to her exchange with the plain clothed officer.

Inside the library were the other members of the shopping party, Richard took his daughter to one side.

"Now, did you stay with Florence?"

"Yes, throughout."

"Good, Dave Brown thought you might be spontaneous if something happened near you?"

"No chance of that!"

"Good, I reckon he'll need a report though."

"Thanks, Dad." Only another report.

Sandy Franklin, the library manager, walked over.

"A bit of excitement, Tammy? It's normally so quiet around here. My husband would like a word, he's in my office."

She told Richard where she was going and checked no-one was following.

"Now, Ben, what was that all about?"

"Sorry, Tammy, but I really had no time for explanations. I've just qualified, by the way, with firearms."

"Okay, but I would like to know how I'm going to explain my weapon being taken and then discharged."

"Well, I saw an opportunity and I didn't know how close the marked units were. My intention was to stop them, the slugs went through the windscreens and the glass fractured, the driver couldn't see where he was going. It slid into lamp post, with the wheels spinning."

"Did you hit the driver?"

"No, that would have caused far too many problems, I simply went for the glass. As it was, the marked cars were nearby and only needed a little help."

"Won't the bullets be found?"

"Not for ages, they'll be in the wall of whatever building was behind the car, probably the hotel."

"And no-one saw you?"

"I was crouched in an alleyway, I'm in the clear."

"You might be, but I'm not."

"I'm certain you can deal with that, maybe you tested it at home - behind the barn?"

Tammy wasn't happy. "I have to report this."

"If you do, I'll take responsibility. Satisfied?"

"Okay, Ben. Now, have you been asked to travel with us in a few days?"

"Yes, but I haven't been given details."

"You'll get a full briefing nearer the time, no doubt. You didn't seem surprised when I mentioned it?"

"Iain Brown asked me personally, he said familiarity with the other parties would be advantageous. My inspector was a little pissed off! If he hears of this morning's activities then I might not be around for a while, unfortunately."

"Why?"

"He keeps getting bypassed, but I'm cleared for this and he isn't so I can't even tell him what I'm doing! If he decides to bring up a disciplinary then even the Chief Inspector can't overtly help me."

Tammy was worried but didn't want to delve further.

"How much does Sandy know about your security service support work?"

"Enough so she doesn't think I'm having an affair, with you!"

"Understood." She was flattered, and blushed.

Tammy rejoined the others, just as Elsie's Range Rover pulled up outside. Her father and Suzie left them to find their own transport.

Florence and Daisy were comparing notes on their shopping expeditions, and not the bank robbery, as they rode back to Elsie's. Lunchtime was approaching so both children were sent to put away their new things, wash and present themselves in the dining room.

That was the plan, Cathy came down with them just as lunch was being brought out.

"It seems they were experimenting with the new make-up, I cleaned most of it off their faces!"

Much of lunchtime concerned plans for New Years Eve, discussion of the events in town was distinctly absent. Elsie proposed hosting a party, although Tammy wondered if her idea of a party bore any similarity to that of a teenager?

"I was a teenager once, my dear."

"There's a dance at the golf club?"

"Over eighteens, probably?"

"Err, yes, Elsie."

"Is there an under eighteen discotheque anywhere?"

Tammy cringed at the term, even if she hadn't been one for the nightlife until a year earlier. "I don't think so."

"So, we'll hold a party here. How about inviting that poor girl and her husband?"

"Tanya and John? They're not getting married until the fourteenth of Feb."

"Well, ask her if they're doing anything. You can use the games room, we can cover the snooker table and push it out of the way."

"Music?"

"That's your department."

Florence had clearly been listening. "I'll look after that, if you don't mind?"

"Well, it's coming together. I'll ask if Zara can help in the kitchen, to make some snacks that teenagers will recognise?"

"Won't she want to go to a party?"

"The staff here have their own party and she's welcome to join them, we'll put her up for the night too. Thomas will handle that, won't you?"

"Yes, ma'am."

Tammy now had her laptop with her, so after lunch sat down to write a report on the morning's strange shopping trip. Outside the white stuff was starting to fall. Finlay knocked then came in just as she finished it.

"Oh, where's Florence?"

"I left her in the shower, aunt Cathy suggested I cleaned myself properly."

"Okay."

"You prefer Florence, don't you, Aunt Tammy?"

"You're a good kid, regardless which name you use."

"Thanks, but don't you get on with Florence easier?"

"No, I get on with you, regardless which name you're using."

"Maybe, but when I was holding your hand earlier, would you have been just as happy if Finlay had held it?"

"You're a good looking boy, Finlay, of course I'll have been happy." She pulled his close and gave him a kiss on the cheek. He returned the favour by kissing her fully on the lips.

"Oh."

Finlay smiled and left.

She submitted her report then went for a shower, she needed space.

 
New Years Eve 2015
 

Thursday morning was cold and very white, it was still snowing. Tammy grabbed her tablet then wrapped herself tighter in her duvet, just looking out of the window had made her shiver.

She looked at the local newspaper's website, unsurprisingly the bank robbery was the top item. A policeman was quoted as saying "the car lost control and we were close enough to let the dogs have a go at the occupants, before they made off on foot. It was a good, clean, stop and no-one got hurt. A four figure sum was recovered and enquiries continue."

Apart from those bitten by the dogs, thought Tammy.

She pulled on a onesie before heading for breakfast. Elsie was already there and clearly wanted to say something about Tammy's fashion statement but both Daisy and Finlay were similarly dressed, then Cathy came down in one of her own.

"I might as well get a baby-grow of my own!"

If there was any awkwardness between Finlay and Tammy, he certainly never showed it. Tammy's phone pinged as she went back to her room.
 

Conference call at ten

 
She hurriedly showered and dressed, black leggings under a tartan skirt would satisfy her need for warmth, as well as Elsie's standards. This was topped off with a UHI sweatshirt - high fashion it wasn't.

The University of the Highlands and Islands sweatshirt had been a Christmas gift from Angela, probably intended as a joke. It was comfortably fleecy and clearly designed for a colder environment. Tammy still intended to restart her studies, but that couldn't now happen until September.

"Let's start with what we know."

Tammy laughed, "that's always a good point."

"Firstly, the pair who allegedly tried to abduct Angela did report off bail and were rebailed until the end of January so clearly Police Scotland isn't taking that seriously. Their bail conditions mean that they can't contact any of you, go within five hundred metres of your home or the school plus they are only allowed into Thurso town centre on a Tuesday when they need to visit the job centre."

"Okay, Kevin, Angela just needs to avoid the town on a Thursday or have someone with her."

"Yes, although I wish the restrictions could be tougher seeing how there was a concerted campaign to win her trust."

Tammy sighed. "Indeed."

"Now, the Russians have started talking. They're not naming names yet but do want to go home."

"I guess that's not on the cards?"

"No, but we'll let them think that for a while. We found out where they had left their clothing and identified a vehicle there that they'd bought in Germany. The upshot is that we now have their passports so we know who they are, even if they haven't told us themselves."

"Good, anything else to connect them to the Gores, or Lavoskas?"

"Not yet, their contact appears to be just a mobile phone number that always goes to voicemail."

"I take it there's enough to prosecute?"

"Yes, we have them on a holding charge right now of 'going equipped' but we'll be able to add 'conspiracy to abduct a minor'."

"Is your team handling them?"

"Yes, Tammy. Now, the Gores were spotted at Waverley Station yesterday but they were then lost."

"So they're heading South?"

"That's the presumption, you wouldn't make it to Edinburgh then turn North, would you?"

"No, but they could have travelled to Glasgow before heading into England, that would bring them down the West coast instead of the East coast?"

"That was considered, but we're now concentrating on picking them up at Birmingham New Street, as well as Birmingham Snow Hill in case they end up there on their way to Stourbridge or Egbaston.

"I know that we need to consider all eventualities but I'd rather hoped that they didn't know about the studio."

"Sorry, Tammy, but we have to include that possibility. Transport Police are running extra patrols at Snow Hill and New Street as part of an exercise, with plain clothed officers targeting ticketless passengers so we've circulated their descriptions."

"Okay, now what about the Lavoskas?"

"The credit card used for the hotel in Wick has popped up in Dundee."

"Are they also heading South? When was that?"

"Yesterday, Paula hired a car."

"Can they be tracked?"

"If she uses roads that are suitably equipped, it's entirely possible she knows which roads aren't yet covered as there are websites with that information."

"Surely that would mean a slower route off motorways?"

"Yes."

"So, four persons of interest are on their way into England, I'm a little uncomfortable with where this is heading."

"So are we, Tammy, we've issued warning where we can."

"Just a thought, if she used that credit card in Wick, surely she'd know that we could check where it's also used?"

"Correct."

"Could this be a ruse? Could they in fact still be in Scotland, or even split resources?"

"Indeed, Tammy, we are not looking at amateurs."

"For as much as we now know, there's still much more that we don't. This could affect our travel plans on the eighth?"

Dave Brown had kept quiet but now joined in.

"Plainly, Tammy, and I believe we'll need to review who travels with the children."

"Of course, Dave."

"Now, I have seen your report."

"Oh."

"Firstly, you were right to report it and I and grateful that you submitted it within a few hours."

"I felt it was necessary."

"Correct, and we need to deal with the issues that arose from it."

"I see."

"Firstly, where is the weapon now?"

"In my bag, with me."

"Have you cleaned it?"

"Yes, as best I can, and I've put a full clip in."

"Was DS Franklin wearing gloves?"

"Yes, it was a bitterly cold day."

"Who observed you?"

"As my report stated, I was with Finlay O'Shaughnessy although he was dressed as Florence at the time."

"So did he, she, see this happen?"

"Yes."

"Was she, I mean he, aware you carried a weapon?"

"Yes."

"Would you have given your weapon to anyone else?"

"No."

"Why didn't you handle the robbery yourself?"

"My primary concerns were with the children."

"And yet you were left without a weapon?"

"I realise this."

"DS Franklin has been interviewed and his account tallies with your's. He has accepted responsibility, but you are also responsible for your own actions. What is the correct procedure here?"

"I refuse his request."

"Correct."

"So, is Ben in trouble?"

"His problem is that he can't produce the weapon and they can't find the slugs, so he's been referred to the force psychiatrist and put on administrative leave whilst they determine if he's fit to work."

"Despite helping in the arrests?"

"He wasn't there, according to everyone else. You will not be giving evidence to the contrary."

"Hang on, how did you know it was my weapon?"

"DS Franklin named you in his report, the one that I saw, but the copy to his inspector was redacted to the point of being waste paper."

"That inspector doesn't like him."

"Clearly, he's also one of the people Martin Gore called in the last week."

Tammy finished the call with more questions than when she'd started. She wasn't being disciplined, yet, but Jenny would have to review this once the current operation was over. Ben was on gardening leave, but did that mean he wouldn't be available for the weekend after next? Was he being used? Was Tammy also being used, by implication? How could he have known where she'd be?

One thing was clear, she had to follow instructions, even if others didn't like it. Before she left the house there was a caller at the door, Pru answered it, the caller was in military dress.

"Tammy, it's for you, I can't deal with it."

Tammy took a look at the ID card that was being offered, it said he was Sgt Grant.

"Hello Sergeant, how can I help you?"

"Excuse me, Miss Smart, I have a delivery for you, but do you have some ID you can show me?"

She reached in her bag and pulled out her National Crime Agency pass. "Will this do?"

"Thank you. I have a package for you."

"Where did you say you were from?"

"Royal Logistic Corp, Dunfermline, Miss. Sign here, please Miss."

Tammy signed and was handed a wrapped package that was heavier than it looked. The despatch note was timed that morning, at five AM.

"Thank you Miss, goodbye."

She closed the door then took the package into the study.

"What is that?"

Pru stopped working as Tammy fought to get into the package. There were two separate items, one was a gun maintenance kit including oil, brushes and cleaning cloths. The other was four hundred rounds of 9mm ammo and a spare clip.

"I guess they're not that unhappy with me!"

up
384 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Package had insufficient content

Package had insufficient content.

She should have gotten another Glock in .4o S&W with ammo for both. BETTER STOPPING POWER without the overpenetration of the 9mm.

P.S. 9mm has a poor reputation of penetrating winshields, tends to bounce off instead. Tammy really needs hollow point ammo but that's banned in the UK.

Hold on just a moment!

Tammy has qualified for the Glock 9mm but has she also done so for the Smith & Wesson .40-caliber? Besides, she may not be comfortable with a .40-caliber, which should have more recoil than a 9mm automatic. Also, how quickly can she fire off rounds with each model? Are both as easily reloaded? Though important, stopping power isn't everything.

The 10mm automatic is the standard-issue duty weapon for our municipal uniformed police where I reside. (This is close in caliber to the .40-automatic.) It was chosen because it has almost the stopping power of a .45-caliber automatic, but doesn't usually overpenetrate beyond the immediate target. These are important criteria for municipal police.

Anam Chara

One of my sons is a police officer.....

D. Eden's picture

And his service weapon is in .45 caliber - and they're equipped with frangible ammunition. That's hollow point to those of you who don't know the proper terminology. The .45 has better stopping power, while the frangible ammo removes the issue of over penetration as the rounds mushroom and break up upon impact.

They are illegal for use by the public and only sold to law enforcement groups.

Beats the hell out of the old full metal jacketed rounds.

Eden

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

.45 1911 A-1 Chambering issues

There used to be an issue with getting those weapons to chamber a hollow point; that was in the late 60s. Later when I carried one I just made sure to use a soft point ammo. I was so used to that weapon that the 38 spl I have now makes me feel like it is not enough.

"Frangible" is <u>NOT</u>...

TheCropredyKid's picture

... hollow point.

"Frangible" means it breaks up in a way that prevents over-penetration, not that it's a hollow point.

 
 
 
x

Ammo standards

Ammo standards. In the U.S. hollow point ammo is the STANDARD ammo that BOTH civilians and police carry. Military uses ball (fmj) ammo

Ball tends to cause more collateral than HP ammo. Use ball and you'll be sued into oblivion.

The pistols are the same, just chambered for different calibers. Recoil and handling is pretty much the same.

The military uses full metal

Brooke Erickson's picture

The military uses full metal jacket because using hollow point is a war crime.

Hollow point, dum-dums, or anything else that increases the damage is banned under one of the Geneva Conventions. So is using some of the bigger calibres. .50 BMG is just barely legal as I understand it.

Brooke brooke at shadowgard dot com
http://brooke.shadowgard.com/
Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world
"Lola", the Kinks

Yup - it's because the idiots

Yup - it's because the idiots that put that together believed that wounding your enemy was much more humane than killing them. Especially if you can wound the enemy, hurt the civilians behind him, and let him continue to fire back because he's not incapacitated. That's even better.

I think that section was rather idiotic, even by the standards of 'mandating how two countries can fight each other' stupidity.

(edit - Note that 'ball' does NOT mean FMJ, TMJ, half jacket, HP, wadcutter, or even full lead. It means 'standard issue' for the weapon in question. )


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Combat use

In military conflicts a wounded enemy soldier can be better than a dead one. The idea is that a wounded soldier uses more enemy resources - medics, stretcher bearers, field first aid or hospitals. Not my idea, this came from a Mil. SF author that is a Vietnam combat veteran. Certainly more experience than I have.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Using a heavier weapon

WillowD's picture

In the comments for one of the stories I read recently (I think it was a Tammy story) someone said that the heavier weapons could penetrate better but required more time on the practice range to qualify for because your muscles needed to be stronger. So unless Tammy is going to practice on a gun range regularly, I'm guessing she has a good weapon for her. Disclaimer: I know very little about guns and I like it that way.

You don't need to know much

You don't need to know much to understand the difference. "Light" rounds, such as .22, .25, .32, .380 Auto, and .9mm, have relatively little recoil, and require less metal to withstand the pressure of the explosive. "Heavy" rounds, which are generally .10mm, .40 cal, .357, .44, and .45, need more metal to both absorb recoil and the explosive required to accelerate the round. If you don't have a decent amount of upper body strength, revolvers are generally out of the question (you absorb the entire recoil at once, plus what comes next), and heavier semi-automatics require more strength to hold up, on target, and deal with the recoil.

Youtube 'funny recoil' and you'll see a variety of people failing to deal with recoil decently. One small woman almost did a flip because of using a shotgun badly.

It's simply an upper body strength thing, even more than technique. (If you don't understand them, it's a good idea to get _some_ knowledge of them. It reduces the fear by increasing understanding. )


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

I can believe that.

WillowD's picture

Thanks for the YouTube suggestion. Sorry I didn't respond earlier but I haven't really figured out yet how to keep track of people responding to my posts.

I am in the middle of a Tammy marathon and am thoroughly enjoying myself. These stories are great.

There's no real way to keep

There's no real way to keep track of them. I just watch my 'track' and hit threads with updated/new comments.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

"It's Normally So Quiet Around Here"

joannebarbarella's picture

Which bit of sand has she been burying her head in?

A great action chapter, with Tammy behaving herself, but having a couple of bullets to explain.

relative quiet

Alecia Snowfall's picture

I think Sandy meant the Library in particular.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

*snerks*

Alecia Snowfall's picture

"They're not THAT unhappy with me" *snerks* looks that way!

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Feeling better?

Feeling better?

sorry to borrow comments

Alecia Snowfall's picture

Sorry to borrow your comments section Shiraz. To answer jkoc, yeah, I'm getting better. No need to go into detail but I'm already back to work on my own project. Of course I do have to take time out to read the latest Tammy. Thanks to Shiraz for continuing this story line. Its a pleasure to read.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Weapons

shiraz's picture

Could I please remind anyone remarking about the weapons that this story is set in the UK (well, the Republic of Scotland right now)

- - - -

Paperback cover Boat That Frocked.png

If Tammy was made responsible

If Tammy was made responsible for the children while they were out and about; so her giving her firearm to Ben, regardless of the issues going, was wrong in my own personal view. The incident she and others were watching could have been staged to allow others to come and take the children from her. Without her firearm, what exactly was she planning to do to prevent it? Yes, it was or looked like a bank robbery, but that could have been staged to pull everyone's attention from the true targets-- Finlay and Daisy.

She would do exactly what

She would do exactly what most British or European police would do. Shout "Stop! Or I'll Yell Stop Again!"


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Judgment

It seems to me that Tammy is out there without clear instructions on what she is to do. This allows her superiors to claim credit if things go right and provides them with a convenient scapegoat if things go wrong. I'm very familiar with this tactic as that was the way our chief ran the PD when I worked there. He never put anything in writing. He would give verbal instructions so if somebody's ox got gored he could lay the blame on us. "I'm sorry your customers are getting parking tickets, some of our officers get a bit zealous in their work. Justt bring me the tickets and tell your customers not to worry about them." This after telling us that the merchants were getting upset by people that used the on-street parking for long periods of time. "I want every officer to spend at least an hour writing parking tickets. If they're 5 minutes over the 2 hour limit write them. If a vehicle has a ticket already when you go by write another one."


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Just a few comments.

To correct some various assumptions.

1) Nobody makes a clip for a 9mm handgun. In fact, I don't believe there's been a semi-automatic handgun made in the last 90 years that could use a clip. Semi-automatics use removable, reloadable magazines. (Clips are used for weapons with integral magazines. See 'stripper clip'. You set the ammunition linked by the clip into the top of the magazine, and press down. The rounds are then loaded into the magazine. ) (See Mauser C96, Roth-Steyr M1907, and the Mannlicher M1894 )

2) All NATO member militaries use FMJ (full metal jacket) ammunition. This is NOT the same as 'ball' ammunition. (Ball ammunition is a holdover from the US Civil War military nomenclature, when the ammunition was a ball. (minie ball) I have old 'ball' ammunition that's full lead, from WW-II. Basically, if it's in the military, it's 'ball' if it's a standard load. If it's not, it gets referred to otherwise. Tracer, AP, etc. ) Most police forces that issue weapons tend to also use FMJ. (often sourced through the same supply lines as the military) There's this stupid concept that runs around that wounding soldiers is better than killing them. (FMJ often goes through, causing painful, but often not lethal or even incapacitating injuries.)

3) Frangible ammunition is readily available. http://sinterfire.com http://iccammo.com It also has terrible firing and ballistic properties. 'No-Lead' ammunition in general is pretty terrible stuff. - cheaperthandirt.com has frangible ammo available from small boxes up to cases, and anyone can order it.

4) 9mm rounds can break up a windshield just fine. A lot depends on angle if impact, temperature of the glass, and so forth. It also depends on the grain charge (powder), the bullet weight (grain), if it's lead or FMJ, is it a military FMJ or civilian (Brass plated steel vs brass or copper). 9mm is the handgun load of choice for most of Europe, I believe. Either 9x19 (Luger/NATO 9mm), or 9x18 (Makarov). 9x17 (.380 Auto) is also out there.

If you want stopping power, Speer Gold Dot is popular. It's a jacketed hollowpoint, which will mushroom out and slow itself rapidly inside of a body. The purpose of it is for the round to _not_ leave what you shoot, and transfer maximum energy to the point of impact. (hydrostatic shock)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Another member pointed out

Another member pointed out that NATO does issue 'ball' ammunition. The difficulty here, as I then pointed out, is that 'ball' ammunition doesn't mean anything outside of the military.

In the military, it is simply 'the standard round/load for the weapon in question'. That's it. The original 'ball' ammunition was a round lead ball. Then came the Minié ball, which was conical. (shaped like a grain silo, really. Round top, cylindrical with grooves, and usually a concave bottom to seat, and help spread the base into the rifling upon firing). Next came the 'ball seated into a brass cartridge' and 'lead cylinder seated into a brass cartridge' (I'm skipping a lot, needless to say). Then came the 'ball rounds' that were built for larger weapons. Still not completely FMJ, sometimes had metal around the base of the bullet to keep lead from spalling off into the barrel. With the advent of more finicky loading mechanisms, they started adding metal jacketing to more of the rounds. Not FMJ (which often isn't Total Metal Jacketing, but only extends slightly below the top of the brass), but encasing more of the round. Then hollowpoints with a FMJ (the hollow was still lead), wadcutters, and the round nose. The original .45 M1887 Military Ball Cartridge (revolver) was called a 'revolver ball cartridge', but had a full lead round nose. (picture wasn't easy to find, but I found some made in Frankford with a picture of the original box with rounds). By the time the M1911 .45 ACP round had come about, THAT was generally semi-wadcutter, hollowpoint, or round nose.

But the military still insisted on calling the standard cartridge a 'ball'.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/604221785 (This may disappear eventually, but it's a picture of a box of ammunition clearly marked ARMY Lot III, PISTOL BALL CALIBER .45 M1911. )

Outside of the military, people tend(ed) to just call the ammunition by how it was made, or for what purpose it was made. You rarely find an individual walking into a gun store asking for 'ball ammunition', because in that case, every single box on the shelf would qualify, except perhaps the shotgun shells. There's no 'standard load' in non-military settings :)

Heck, just with me, I have four different boxes of 9mm, from three different manufacturers. They all fit in the same gun. I just bought what was cheap at the time.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

I must be getting old

' for I could have sworn that Shiraz wrote this story ! Yes, that's it ,my mistake .Sorry!

<em></em>

Cut backs

shiraz's picture

Next chapter

Due to Government cut backs, Tammy will have her weapon replaced with a children's bow and suction pad arrows.

- - - -

Paperback cover Boat That Frocked.png

I Am Told

joannebarbarella's picture

That the Government of The People's Democratic Socialist Republic of Scotland has issued an edict that the standard weapon of its law enforcement agencies will henceforth be the claymore (the sword not the anti-personnel mine). Is this true?

bow and suction pad arrows

Probably just as well, less paperwork when someone borrows her weapon. Snerk.

ob·strep·er·ous

Every time I read one of these stories by UK folk, it seems as if they are more interested in procedure and rules and starching their underwear than the proper actions that people take. Tammy did a lot of things right, and so did the bloke that took out the perps windshield. I makes me feel quite crabby.

If that is the way the police really are over there, then it is right to call them plod.

Gwen

crikey!

400 rounds, is she going to start a war or is she just a bad shot, giggle

400 rounds

Author's melodramatic prerogative, (or not). We will just have to wait and see.

It is an odd number, yes.

It is an odd number, yes. Most ammunition is sold in boxes of 20 or 50, half case of 500, or case of 1000.

I'd expect that if they were going to send more than 100, they'd send 500. Shiraz may not do any shooting or buying of ammunition, so any and all mistakes are understandable.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Pisstol ammunition

So few people are allowed to own pistols in the UK, and thus purchase pistol ammunition, it is possible that such is sold in packaging quite different than we get in the US. Outside the military, where large quantities are normal, 400 rounds at once seems like a lot. However, the ammunition was supplied to Tammy by an army depot, so perhaps 400 rounds is one case lot for them.

Eh. I was going off of what

Eh. I was going off of what I regularly get. Most of my ammunition is made in Europe or one of the old soviet states. (Makarov and Tokarev ammo), and it comes in 50/500/1000 rounds, usually. The surplus Romanian 7.62x25 ammo was oddly packaged. 1260 round spam can, in 18, 70 round boxes. (with the ammo laid in between strips of paper)

It's actually pretty funny how many countries that don't readily allow gun ownership produce ammunition for those who do.

Heh. Considering the lifespan of the average AK-47, if we could stop the incoming shipments of Chinese made ones to the middle east, they'd run out of guns pretty quickly. (AK-47's are reliable, but only to a point, and then you have to ship them to a central factory to be repaired. They're stamped, not machined, and that takes some rather huge equipment) Anyway - irrelevant to the storyline :)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Really needs a refresher

Jamie Lee's picture

Tammy needs a refresher course about what her primary duty happens to be when she's protecting a potential target. And it isn't donning the mask and white hat and riding into the fray. Doing other than protection should never be her first thought. Her first thought should be looking for someone coming after her ward during what could be a distraction. And she can't protect her ward unarmed.

Tammy is forming many interesting questions. Ben happened to be in the right place at the right time and at the same time they were in town? His boss might be involved with what's happening? Tammy gets a light reprimand for letting her weapon be taken, then gets a special delivery of 400 rounds of 9mm ammunition and spare magazines? What type of fire fight is someone expecting?

Stopping power of a weapon does have to be considered, but it's more important that the handgun is sized to fit the shooters hand(s). Also needing consideration is the environment where the weapon will be used. Using the wrong size weapon primarily in residential areas could result in many lawsuits.

Others have feelings too.

Refresher?

Tammy is not part of a protection detail, and to the best of my knowledge has zero training as a protection officer. Indeed, when her bosses became aware that she was not well-trained in the use of her firearm, she was sent to a military course where she trained with special forces soldiers. That's offensive training. That's not the type of training a protection officer normally receives, which is defensive training.

There are groups that do receive that type of training. A good U.S. example is the Secret Service. I expect the British have similar organizations, I just don't know who they are.

The point is, Tammy hasn't been trained that way, she's just winging it. Tammy should not be held responsible for failure to follow rules she hasn't been taught. If she is then it says to me that her superiors are incompetent and/or negligent.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin