Princess and the Plague: Erika's next Chapter 8

Printer-friendly version


Princess and the Plague:
Erika's next Chapter
8

by Anistasia Allread
313722-PartyintheHeavenLAYOUTMAHAHAIDER-1325172079-798-640x480.jpg

“Erika, it’s time to get up.” She heard her mother’s voice over the rumble of a semi passing by on the freeway.

She opened her eyes. “I was hoping it was all a bad dream.” Erika wanted to cry again but her eyes were cried out.

“I know, sweetie.” Her mother sat down on the bed and brushed her bangs out of her eyes. “Time to see Sasha again.” She stated. “Did you get any sleep?”

Erika shook her head. Some of her bangs fell back into her eyes. “Maybe an hour or two. What happens now? We can’t live in a hotel forever.”

“Your father is talking to the fire department and insurance company as we speak.”

“My phone.” Erika moaned. “Damn it, I wasn’t able to get my phone. I don’t have any of my friend’s numbers. What if they are trying to get ahold of me? How am I going to get ahold of them?”

Her mother tried to soothe her. “We will all be getting new phones today.”

Erika brightened a little bit. “Can I get the new Android?”

Her mother smiled, “We’ll have to ask you father. I’m not sure what all our insurance will cover.” She looked down at Erika. “We will have to get us at least a week’s worth of clothes.”

“My Rally squad uniform was in my closet.” Erika closed her eyes and groaned. “Melanie and Taylor are going to kill me.”

“You couldn’t have foreseen this happening.” Her mother sighed. “I’m sure they and the school will understand.”

“Speaking of which.” Erika searched the hotel room for a clock. She finally spotted it’s red digital numbers. “I take it I’m not going to school today.”

Her mother shook her head. “We all had a rough night, we all need clothes and to figure out what our immediate needs are, then we can work from there.”

Erika rolled over then smiled. “At least I had my breast forms on.”

Her mother rolled her eyes and smiled. Erika giggled.

“Okay, young lady. I’ve already had my shower. It’s your turn. I’ll go get your pajamas from the dryer. Unfortunately, we will be going to our first store in our PJs.”

“I had a shower a few hours ago,” Erika wrapped a sheet around her as she got out of bed.

“That was to get the soot and grime off, this will help make you feel clean and refreshed. We are going to be very busy over the next few days.”

Erika sighed as she walked into the hotel room bathroom.

Her mother was correct, the shower ended up being just the thing to help wake her up and make her feel fresh. As she dried herself, she checked the edges of her breast forms. She was okay for a couple of days, but she’d have to order some glue as soon as she found a computer and credit card. She didn’t sleep in her gaff therefore, it too had burned up. Something else she’d have to replace. She’d just have to be careful.

Scrunching her hair while looking in the mirror, Erika added makeup to one of the first things she’d have to replace, along with regular hygiene stuff.

---

“It’s only to get something to wear to get out of our pajamas.” Her mother promised.

“It’s still Wal-Mart.” Erika protested.

“I don’t want us traipsing through one of the nice department stores in our underwear. “We’ll just get one outfit and some toiletries.”

Erika rolled her eyes. “Fine.” She pushed open the door and immediately wished for her coat. Her feet were still cold, but her mother had purchased some cheap flip-flops for her until they were able to get clothing.

Her father had come back from his meeting with the fire department and insurance company. He set two flip phones on the table and flopped into the chair.

“What are these?” Erika picked one up. “These are so…. so, archaic.”

“They are temporary.” He rubbed at his red, overly tired eyes. “Our numbers have all been programed in already. We’ll look into getting real phones in the next day or two.”

“How did it go?” her mother inquired.

“As well as can be expected.” Her father yawned. “I need a nap.”

“Were you able to go to the bank?” her mother approached her father from behind and began rubbing his shoulders and the back of his neck.

“Yes.” He pulled out an envelope. “I guess we are getting Christmas early this year. Just get the basics for now. New credit cards have been ordered. The bank put a rush on it, but it will still be a few days, but more likely a week. The insurance company still has to do an investigation and paperwork before they write us a check.”

“I used the hotel phone and called our Doctors. I’ll be picking up all of our meds this later.”

“Even my blockers?” Erika was concerned.

Her mother nodded. “Yes, even your blockers.”

“Thank you.”

“Honey, you take a nap for a few hours. Erika and I’ll go get started on getting some clothing.” She helped her husband to his feet and wrapped her arms around him. “I Love you. I don’t know what I would do if I had lost you.” She looked over to Erika. “Either one of you.” She held her arm out for Erika to join them.

---

Erika did her best to run in grab what she needed and got out of Wal-Mart. She exited the store wearing some skinny jeans, a soft blue hoodie, new bra and panties, socks, and a pair of white ‘Keds’ looking knock off tennis.

“Mom?” Erika looked thoughtful as they pulled out of the parking lot. “Can we drive by the house?”

Her mother shook her head, “Your father said it wouldn’t be a good idea. He said that the fire department is still keeping an eye on it to make sure that the fire is out.”

“Just to look at it?” She inquired.

“I really don’t think it would be a good idea, honey. Perhaps tomorrow.”

Erika sighed. “It sucks that they cut the rope course.”

“They had to make sure that the fire wouldn’t spread.”

“I know, but it still sucks.”

Her mother put her hand on Erika’s knee. “This whole thing sucks, honey. But we have each other.”

Erika looked out the window, wishing she had her phone instead of the outdated one that they were to use temporarily.

“You hungry?” her mother asked.

“No, Thanks.” Erika shrugged.

“Okay, lets hit up Macy’s for some clothes.”

Erika nodded. She really wanted Samantha to be the one to go shopping with her. But she doubted that her mother would have just given her money to run off with her girlfriends with.

“I know how we can make this fun.” Her mother smiled at her.

Erika wanted to roll her eyes. “What?”

“You are going to pick out an outfit for me, and I’m going to pick one out for you.”

“Huh?”

“One complete outfit.” Her mother nodded. “We will see how one would like to see the other. We can wear them out to dinner tonight with your father.”

Erika thought for a moment. It would be kind of fun to pick out something for her mother. It wasn’t like her mother wore frumpy house dresses or anything, but it could be fun. “On one condition,” Erika stated. “You aren’t dressing me in boy clothes.”

“I promise.” Her mother’s smile got bigger. “And you won’t make me look like a hooker.”

“Mom.” Erika protested.

“I’m just saying.” She pulled the car up to valet parking. Although still crowded, it was nowhere near as busy as it had been the other day.

“What is my budget?” Erika asked as the two entered the store.

“We need to only get the essentials at this time. Your father wiped out the savings so that we can get some clothes. We’ll be limited on money until the insurance makes good.” Her mother looked at Erika. “Count what you are wearing as one outfit. You are allowed eight or so outfits.”

“And If I can work the sales rack?”

“We’ll see.

Erika tried to channel her ‘inner Samantha’ She found two pairs of pants on the sales rack almost immediately. One was a high-end designer brand that had been marked down. One sweater, Two button Cardigans, four blouses, a black pencil skirt and a baby blue dress with a peter pan collar, capped sleeves and lace along the knee length hem. She had the sales associate hold them while she went in search of an outfit for her mother.

The task of dressing her mother was proving a little more difficult than she thought. There were so many different looks that she wanted to try out, and she kept getting distracted, finding clothes for herself. Once she found the perfect skirt, she began building the outfit. A button-down blouse with little in the way of ornamentation but a lot of tailoring. After calling her mother to find out what size she wore, Erika rounded up black boots, black nylons and accessories, then took them to a dressing room and put it all together for her mother.

“Are you in here, Erika?” Her mother called as she was finishing up.

“Yes. I’ve got your outfit in here.” Erika peeked through the dressing room door.

Her mother smiled. “I’ve got yours down in the one on the end.”

“I’d like to see yours first.” Erika slid out of the dressing room closed the door behind her and smiled at her mother.

“Okay.” Her mother smiled. “But you can’t see yours until after I’m done.” She entered the dressing room and closed the door behind her. “Seriously?” her mother asked once she saw the outfit.

“You promised.” Erika stated, “Besides this was your idea.”

“Isn’t this a bit young for me?” her mother complained.

“You aren’t that old, mom.” Erika rolled her eyes. “Besides you dress too much like a soccer mom. Believe me, Dad will love this.”

A few minutes later, her mother emerged from the dressing room with a big smile on her face. She white tailored blouse showed her mother’s fabulous curves, the leopard print pencil skirt accentuated her hips and added some young sexiness. If it had been summer, Erika would have picked out black heals, however it being close to Christmas, the black, heeled boots were more appropriate as well as sexy. Amber bracelets, necklace and earrings finished off the look.

“I do like this.” She nodded. “but can I really pull it off?”

“You look amazing.” Erika took her mother to the floor length dressing room mirror. She stood next to her mother. “Dad is going to go nuts.”

“A deal is a deal.” Her mother nodded. “Now it’s your turn.”

Erika’s heart was beating stronger than she’d have thought. It was just some clothes that her mother picked out for her. How bad could it be?

She pushed the door open and saw the outfit for the first time. Her heart leaped. “Oh my word! Mother, it’s so adorable.”

“Try it on.” Her mother prompted.

Erika closed the door and stripped out of her Wal-Mart clothing and began donning the outfit her mother had picked out.

She pulled on gray leggings then stepped into a charcoal gray mini circle skirt then slipped a royal blue V-neck sweater over her head. Erika sat down on the bench and slid her feet into gray knee high boots with a two-inch heel and zipped them up. She stood then spun around in front of the mirror and giggled.

“Well?” her mother asked from outside.

Erika stepped out and pulled down on the length of the short skirt. “I love it.” She beamed. “But isn’t the skirt a bit short?”

Her mother looked her up and down, and shook her head, “I think it’s darling. You’ll just have to remember to keep your legs together or crossed when you sit.” Her mother looked down at the outfit she was wearing then at Erika’s. “I say we change, buy the clothes we have then get something to eat.”

Erika nodded in agreement.

She and her mother with arms loaded, walked out the valet parking and had the attendant pull their car around. After loading up the trunk, the two re-entered the mall.

Erika had ditched her cheap white tennis shoes for the gray boots which clicked as they walked down the tiled Mall towards the food court.

“I need to pick something up at the Santa place.” Erika redirected their direction slightly.

“Oh?” her mother was surprised.

“Oh good, you came back.” The clerk at the Santa station greeted.

“So, you held them?” Erika asked.

“Yes.” The clerk reached into a filing folder and pulled out a package and handed them to Erika.

“How much?” Erika asked.

“No charge.”

“What? Really?” Erika questioned.

“We saw what you did to help out that young lady the other day. My manager instructed us not to charge you in the spirit of Christmas.”

“That is so kind of you.” Erika’s mother thanked her.

Once they were away, her mother looked to Erika. “What did you do?”

Erika explained the Stephanie situation

“I’m proud of you.” Her mother beamed. “It takes courage and good character to stand up and help someone in that situation.”

Erika shrugged her shoulders. “I just remember how I felt when it used to happen to me. I don’t want anyone else to feel that.”

Erika found herself wrapped up in her mother’s arms. “You are such a beautiful person, Erika.”

After they had eaten a light lunch, Erika pulled out the folder and slid out the picture of the three friends gathered around Santa. Erika smiled as she looked at the three of them together. She showed her mother who agreed that it was a great photo. Erika then pulled out the solo picture.

“I was going to give this to you and Dad for Christmas, but since Christmas is up in the air, I may as well give it to you now.” She slid the picture over to her mother.

Her mother’s hand went to her mouth. She looked up from the picture, tears filled her eyes and were running down her cheek unheeded.

“What’s wrong?” Erika was anxious. Had she done something wrong?

“It’s perfect.” Her mother smiled. “We lost all of our photos in the fire, and now we have our first Christmas photo of you, Erika.” She dabbed the tears from her eyes and face. “It’s perfect. Thank you.”

Erika felt a little funny. Who was this person sitting across from her? Her mother not only showed no signs of disgust towards her, but showed nothing but love and support all day. It was kind of freaking her out.

She and her mother hit up a few shoe stores on the way to another department store. Where they added two pairs of flats and a set of heels to her small but burgeoning wardrobe.

“Okay.” Her mother grinned at her. “Have you ever had your makeup done before, other than by your girlfriends?”

Erika shook her head.

Her mother smiled big. “Let’s get to it.

----

Erika looked in the mirror at herself and was in absolute awe. She looked amazing, even better than after Bobbie had touched her up at the photo shoot. She just wondered if she could replicate it at home. Sure, the makeup artist explained what she was doing, but there was just so much involved, she didn’t know if she could remember it all.

Then to top it all off, her mother bought each of them most of what was used on their faces. Almost four hundred dollars on makeup. Erika’s mind whirled at the thought of spending that much on makeup. She looked in the mirror again and decided that the money was well spent.

“How was your day?” Her father asked as they entered their hotel room with arms loaded with bags of clothing.

“We got a lot done.” Her mother stated.

“I actually had fun.” Erika smiled at her mother then her father.

“We didn’t forget about you, either.” Her mother kissed her husband. “Shirts, ties, slacks, underwear, socks, toiletries.” Her mother listed.

“Thank you.” He included Erika in his smile. “Shall we go eat?”

“We,” Erika’s mother looked to her, “Have to change first.”

“What’s wrong with what you have on?”

Erika giggled. “You’ll see.”

A few minutes later, her mother emerged from the bathroom. Erika grinned at her mother when she saw her father’s jaw hit the floor. “Told you.”

“You don’t think it’s too young?” her mother asked her father.

All he could do is shake his head.

“You two go out.” Erika decided. “I’ll grab a burger at the diner next door.”

“You sure?” Her mother asked.

“Oh yeah, I’m sure.” Erika winked at her mother.

up
264 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Very Sweet

jennifer breanna's picture

You had me running trough the tissues tonight.

Jenni

Like a phoenix from the ashes

laika's picture

Erika's mother is suddenly so awesome! I hope "New Mom" doesn't revert to her old attitudes and doubts about her daughter when life returns to normal. Yes this was a sweet feel-good chapter. Hope the insurance company comes thru, even if it was the work of some crazed Erika-hating arsonist. Glad no seizures in a while, too...
~hugs, Veronica

It's Possible

It's possible mom figured out that Erica's much better than no child at all. We'll have to see how it plays out. Anistasia has a history of keeping Erica on her toes.

On her toes...

laika's picture

When she isn't knocking Erika flat on her back. Anastasia really does know how to keep a story intriguing; there's a lot of wish fulfillment stuff and wonderful friendships and fun dialogue but also plenty of the hard reality that real life brings. Real literature too. I just hope that weird spooky temple-like picture with the eerie light isn't foreshadowing our heroine's death.

Yeah

I much prefer "and they lived happily ever after". I get all the tragedy I can handle in the real world.

I agree 100%

I like stories where good things happen to good people

Okay, I cannot keep the laughter in

But, what person, when losing a home and on limited funds EVER splurges on clothing from Macy's? The normal type of clothing store might be JC Penney's, Kohl's, and other various shops, even Walmart as a last resort. But when money is tight, Macy's is NOT for bargain hunters: it's simply too high priced retail chain!

Sephrena

20130818194552a83.jpg

It Was the $400 on Makeup...

...that really hit me. Hope they can still pay for food this week (g).

Eric

I really, really hope that

I really, really hope that Erika's dad got a hotel room with two bedrooms, because it does look like mom and dad just might be making up for some lost time tonight. :-) Fire insurance companies are notorious for paying as late as they can. They will fight the injured parties as long as they can and will go out of their way to make you (injured parties) the culprits in the fire.
Have personally watched this play out over the past two years now, with my oldest daughter and her family.
This is even AFTER the police, neighbors, fire inspectors from a fire department and the firemen from the department ALL testified and wrote statements that the fire that burnt down the house was set by ARSONISTS whom the neighbors had seen and given both descriptions of the two men and their pickup truck to the police.
The claims adjuster for the Insurance company is absolutely convinced that it was an "inside" job; even tho there is documented proof that at the time of the fire, ALL members of the family were at other locations WITH friends and their families. One of the biggest contentions is the doll collection my daughter had. She, through her mother, had all the ORIGINAL Barbie Dolls that her mother had since the first ones came out in the 1950s; plus ALL the entire collectors editions that dated back to 1973 when she was born, right up to the night their house burned down in 2014. Those were all in their original boxes as well. Yes, both women were and are "super collectors".
The adjuster could not/will not believe the value of as she put it " a bunch of dolls".
I wish good luck to Erika, her mom and dad when they are dealing with the insurance company over the loss of their home and contents within it.

I suspect

some character, whom hates tg's, and is right out of Edeyn's Skater Girls universe, is behind the arson. Just a hunch.

Sephrena

Kuryoyukihime 11 crop.png

Go easy there

Jamie Lee's picture

The amount in their savings account was never stated, but until the insurance is settled, until they decide what's next to get back on their feet, expenses should be sorely limited.

On the other hand, they've been through a traumatic experience, so maybe a bit of shopping will help lift their spirits and help them realize they will be okay.

One thing though. Erika might want to see if she can spend the night with one of her friends. Either that or make sure there's plenty of ice water available when her parents return to the room.

Others have feelings too.

Go easy there

Jamie Lee's picture

The story didn't say how much was in their savings, but they should go easy on the expenses until everything is settled with the insurance company.

They did need to shop for clothing and personal items. But maybe they went a bit overboard until they're sure what they will do next?

On the other hand, maybe shopping as they did was a way for them to realize they will be okay. That they can start over. That they are still alive.

Others have feelings too.

Gaff

I foresee problems without the Gaff.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna