What Would The Season Be Without...

Printer-friendly version

emily IMGa_7704b_0.JPG

Emily was lost on the worse night of the year. Fortunately she was found and there unfolds the tale. Click the link atop the picture for some more Seasonal Fluff.

AttachmentSize
PDF icon Click here for some more Seasonal Fluff332.46 KB
up
88 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Fluff?

Andrea Lena's picture

More like a warm and welcoming comforter with just enough lightness to be worn always around this tired old frame as I trundle through life. I am blessed with daughters, but you, my dear little brat, were my first Emily. Love to you and yours this Christmas!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

What can I say?

Sure this requires substantial suspension of disbelief, but it is a lovely, sweet tale.

Thank you.

Gwen

Who Cares

littlerocksilver's picture

.. if you have to suspend belief a bit. What a wonderful, imaginative tale.

Portia

I'm a Little Puzzled...

If I read the story right, our narrator has lived (and still is living) the life that she wanted. So why would some providential figure have her do it all over again? Sure, getting one's youth back and presumably fifty more years of good times probably isn't something one would turn down, even if it did mean going through SRS again -- especially since it doesn't mean going back to the work on the street that paid for it last time. But why? (I mean, yeah, it's a reward for taking Emily in. But that presumably was just a test, since it doesn't appear Emily was a real human being. Why was Lilly bring tested at all?)

Eric

(Is there some significance to the first name Ennis that I'm not getting? It's an Irish town, and Emily here implies that it's an androgynous name. I'd considered it a male name; an online search provides two females -- an Australian poet and an anime character -- who have it.)

Ennis

Dear Eric,

Ennis is actually a Scottish Celt name for a girl meaning 'the only choice' or 'outstanding'. As with many of the Celt names, over time gender application became fluid. Such modern examples would be Kelly, Ryann, Evan (Welsh Celtic), Fallon, and Fagan. This practice is quite common in Ireland and, by extension, the States.

The two things Lilly missed the most in her life were her departed husband Jack and a child to raise. Most of her subjective narrative centered around the loss of these two things leaving her life empty and devoid of purpose. There are events in our lives (mine included) that we wish to revisit because the absence of the people involved has left us somewhat diminished. And after all, what better a fantasy to have come true on a Christmas eve than to have that chance over again.

May You Know Only Peace...

Kelly

PKB_003b.jpg

Lilly's life had become empty upon the death of her husband and her children leaving home and having families of their own.

Very Nice.....

...and fluffy. Kelly, thanks for sharing.

Sweet and happy

Monique S's picture

Would be how I qualify this wonderful little tale. Who cares that miracles are deemed impossible ...

I have seen some, if not that grand, but yes, some small miracles. So why not delight in a bigger one?
And a delight it was/is, this story. Thanks for sharing.

Monique.

Monique S