Harmony

Printer-friendly version
Harmony

The icy chill in the air tested the limits of her resolve. Where was he? She shivered along with everyone else on the roof of their apartment building ready to watch the fireworks display to ring in the new year. Did he change his mind? Harmony stood there, her wool coat pressed against her skin trying in vain to keep her warm.

She thought about the year that had gone by. The traces of her old ‘life’ were gone. Hal was gone, replaced by Harmony. Her friends stayed, supported, cared and accepted her. Hal’s so called ‘friends’ abandoned, spurned, and rejected her. She had excised them all. All but one… The one.

Shawn was Hal’s oldest friend. They grew up together and he was always there for him. Would he be there for her? Despite their closeness, she never revealed herself to him. She tried so many times over the years, but he was the one she could not bear losing. After a tumultuous year, she promised herself that by year’s end there would only be 'Harmony'.

She sent him a note after finding out he had returned home for the holidays. She made Alex promise not to say anything about her transformation. It was a secret she wanted to reveal herself, in person.

She asked her friend Leila to design a dress for her and Leila obliged and made her promise to show her photos afterwards. The lovely sleeveless, scoop neck royal purple gown was nothing short of exquisite. The diamond solitaire earrings gleamed; as did her smile when she saw herself in the full length mirror in her apartment. That smile replaced by worry and anticipation. He said he’d come. Alex told her he would come. So she waited.

10… Oh no, they’re starting the countdown.

9… Where is he?

8… Please oh please I want him here.

7… Is it possible he’s not coming?

6… Did something happen?

5… Maybe he’s delayed.

4… There’s Alex.

3… I don’t see Shawn.

2… He has a note.

1… and a disappointed look…

Happy New Year?

She watched Alex walk over with a somber look in his eyes. “What happened?”

He looked at her with sad eyes and hands her a note. “What is this?” She asks. “I thought you said he was coming?” her voice became more distraught.

She opened the note. “Sorry, I can’t be with you at midnight.” The tears formed in her eyes. “No.” she said softly. “Did he say anything to you? Do you know why?” Her neighbors were cheering the new year, blowing horns. twirling noise makers. Their celebratory cheer juxtaposed against the sad lonely figure with tears rolling down her cheeks. Alex shook his head, not knowing how to comfort her. “I… I need to be alone… she solemnly navigated her way to the rooftop stairway and agonized as she stepped slowly down the stairwell to her apartment.

How can I have been so stupid to think that he would come. He was with his family. He was where he should be. Why? Why did it hurt so much that he wasn’t here? She slid her key into her doorlock and opened the door. She cast her coat on the couch and sighed. She took one more look at the floor length mirror. The happy smiling woman standing there in the beautiful dress earlier was replaced by a sad young woman, pale from the cold and tear driven streaks of mascara on her cheeks.

“So much for the new year.” choking back her sadness.

“I see you got my note.” a voice echoed through her apartment. She had left her door open.

“Shawn?” stunned and confused.

“I believe we’ve met, but have not been formally introduced.” Shawn says with a coy grin.

She smile through tears. “It’s Harmony now.”

=======
Author's Message: Happy Holidays to one and all. All the best for 2017. I love you all!

Huggles

Leila

up
166 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I Don't Think I Get It...

Why would Shawn want to disappoint her like that initially? Because she sent Alex over instead of coming over and telling him herself?

Seems as though he must have found out about her transition some other way; he seemed to be expecting her (as opposed to him).

Eric

Maybe hope

Maybe hope brings in the new year, he didn't seem upset to meet her=]

Sara

That's cold

And other less printable thoughts.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Nice Happy Ending

Daphne Xu's picture

The only question I have is, why did Shawn do that?

-- Daphne Xu

-- Try saying freefloating three times rapidly.