Princess and the Plague: Erika's next Chapter 5

Printer-friendly version


Princess and the Plague:
Erika's Next Chapter
5

by Anistasia Allread
313722-PartyintheHeavenLAYOUTMAHAHAIDER-1325172079-798-640x480.jpg

Erika’s heart pounded against her chest.

“You’ll be fine.” Samantha assured.

“But everyone saw.” Erika wanted to cry, but now wasn’t the time. She had to walk into school after making a total fool of herself at the basketball game.

“If anyone says anything, just ignore them.” Tricia squeezed her hand. “It is none of their business anyway.”

“We’ve got your back.” Samantha nodded. “All of Cheer, Rally, Victoria. We’ve got you.”

Erika wanted to hug and hug her best friend. But the car was getting cold and they needed to get into school.

The three walked in side by side.

Erika could see and even feel the whispers as she passed.

That’s her, the one who convulsed all over the basketball court

Check out the spaz.

Did you see her at the basketball game?

She didn’t actually hear what people were saying but she could imagine the gossip and rumors flying around school. Her stomach was tying its self in knots. It wasn’t nearly as bad as dealing with things as the plague, but it had shades of those days and times.

The three friends walked into Mrs. Anderson’s class. No one said anything, but many watched as the spaz walked by to take her seat. She was waiting for Jake to say something. He always did, but he seemed as if trying to ignore her.

Once she took her seat, everyone seemed to be looking everywhere but at her.

Erika swallowed the lump in her throat.

Jake got up, turned around and straddled his chair. Resting his arms on the seat back, he laid his chin on his forearm and just looked at Erika.

Erika took a deep breath through her nose and tried to calm her racing heart. Here it comes.

“Hey.” He gave her a weak smile.

“What is it, Jake?” She braced herself.

“Just wanted to know if you are okay.”

Erika just stared at him in shock. Where was the punch line?

“Listen,” he glanced at Samantha then to Tricia. “I may give you a bad time.” He paused, “But it’s only because I like you. I’m sorry that you had a seizure at the basketball game. I’m glad you are alright.” A tight smile touched his lips before he launched himself up, turned around and sat back down as Mrs. Anderson walked in to begin class.

Erika could have been pushed over with a feather. What just happened? Jake….. Jake was just nice to her. Jake the smart ass who went out of his way to tease her had just been sweet. She didn’t realize that she had been holding her breath. She let it out slowly and took two deep ones then looked to Tricia who seemed to be beaming then to Samantha who looked almost as bamboozled as she felt.

Last year, Jake had done some teasing of Eric, the plague, but it wasn’t to the horrible degree that some of the others had, like the football players. Eric did try to leave a wide berth around Jake, and Erika had had some rough times earlier this year with him, but this? It had to be a set up for something. It just had to.

Luckily by the time she made it to lunch the school was mostly over the fact that she had made s spectacle of herself at the game.

Tricia guided her straight to their table. “Sit. I’ll get your food.” She ordered.

“I’m perfectly able to get it.” Erika protested.

“Let her do it.” Samantha sat next to Erika.

“But…”

“There were only two people more scared than Tricia at the game.” Samantha made sure Erika was looking at her. “Your mom and dad. Do you realize, that Tricia was crying on the phone to me for a few hours over the weekend?”

Erika shook her head.

Samantha just nodded.

“Nice half-time show, Spaz.” Greg threw as he walked by.

“Greg!” a math teacher heard his remark. “You will apologize to Ms. Summers and then you will see me after school.”

“But…. Fine.” Greg spun approached the table and looked at Erika. “I’m sorry for my comment, it was uncalled for.”

Erika just glared, she didn’t know what else to do, this Ass Wipe had made Eric’s life hell and had been attempting to do the same to Erika.

“After school.” The teacher reaffirmed.

“Hey Pete.” Samantha called. “Pete, yes you.”

Pete came over to the table. “Feeling better, Erika?” he asked.

Erika nodded.

“Do you remember Pete saving you?” Samantha asked.

“It was very cool.” Jordon agreed joining them.

“It was nothing. I’m just glad I was able to break your fall. You might have ended up with a broken nose or concussion.” He stated.

“Break her fall?” Jordon shook her head. “He was amazing. I don’t know how he knew, but he went sliding across the floor under you, catching you and rolling to the side. It was like something Jackie Chan would do.”

Pete was turning bright red.

“Really?” Erika asked with disbelief.

“I wish we had a recording of it. it was amazing.” Samantha agreed with Jordon. “How did you know?” Samantha asked.

Pete shrugged. “My mom has seizures; I’ve learned what to look for and after hearing about the event at the mall…. My mom calls them events…. Well anyway I saw her face and didn’t realize what I was doing until it was done.

“I think I remember your voice.” Erika smiled up at her hero. “Thank you, Pete.” She touched his hand. She was slightly hurt when he quickly pulled away.

“Oh my God, it’s you!” Tricia almost tossed the tray of food on the table. “You’re the one who saved her.” Tricia threw her arms around the geeky guy and held him in a long, tight embrace. “Thank you, thank you, thank you.” She pulled back, looked at the poor shocked kid and pulled him back in for another hug. “You are incredible. Thank you.” Tricia let him go this time.

The poor A.V. guy. Even the tips of his ears were red.

“I need to go eat.” Pete made and excuse.

“Eat with us.” Tricia commanded. “Please……”

“Pete.” Erika filled in. Tricia meet my personal hero Pete. Pete meet my girlfriend, Tricia.”

“What would you like to eat?” I’ll go get it.” Tricia hopped up.

“I’m fine.” Pete held up a sack lunch.

“Coffee? Soda?” Tricia went on.

“Sit down Tricia.” Erika directed. “Can’t you see you are embarrassing him?”

“I’m so sorry.” Tricia backed away and took her seat. “You sure I can’t get anything for you?”

“You said that your mom has seizures?” Erika prompted.

Pete nodded. “That’s why when I saw your face, Eric…ka, I kind of went into automatic catch and clear mode.

Erika’s heart skipped a beat. Pete was so flustered that he was forgetting the secret. She hoped that especially Jordon didn’t catch that.

“Catch and clear. I like that.” Erika smiled. “Maybe I’ll use that as my signal, if it happens again.”

Tricia and Samantha both shot Pete and Erika a glance. Erika just nodded her head slightly. Tricia mouthed ‘later’.

“Will it happen again?” Jordon inquired around bites of her yogurt.

“It’s possible.” Erika shrugged. What could she do about it?

“Is it safe for you to be in Rally?” Jordon put forth holding a full spoon inches from her mouth.

“The doctor said to do everything normal. That sometimes there is a trigger and that I’ll start to figure out what it is. He’ll be putting me on medicine to help control anything that might happen. But most likely that it is just my brain healing from the surgery.”

“Pete, how often does your mother have seizures?”

“It all depends. There are times when she has as many as three or four in a day and then she’ll go for weeks without having one.”

“Is she on medication?” Erika asked.

Pete nodded. “She says it helps some.”

The rest of lunch was spent pumping Pete for information.

“Seriously, Pete.” Tricia said. “If you need a favor, just ask.”

--oOo--

As per their schedule. Samantha and Erika waited in the car for Tricia to get out of Dive practice. Finally she slid into the back seat. “Okay, spill.” Tricia directed at Erika. “Pete almost slipped up at lunch. What’s going on?”

“One of my first days of school, when I was just trying to fit in. Greg and Tyler were chasing me, who they thought was Eric down the hall. I ducked into an empty class room but it was the A.V. room and Pete was there. He hid me. He knew me as Eric but said that he wouldn’t tell.” Erika stated. “Lunch was an honest slip up. He said he liked me better as Erika.”

“He must like you, cuz that was an incredible save he did with you.”

“Pete had always been a great guy. He just prefers technology to human interaction.” Erika stated.

“Well, he interacted with humans enough to go to the basketball game and then see and understand what was going on with you.” Tricia buckled up. “I’m tired and hungry.”

--oOo--

“Mom?” Erika called from her bedroom. “Do I put makeup on?”

“You know? I’m not sure.” She leaned against the bedroom door frame. “I’d say put your normal amount on. If they want to fix it, they can. But make sure to bring your makeup with you.”

Erika nodded.

“How many outfits are you bringing?”

“Three.” Erika answered. “Is that enough?”

Her mother shrugged her shoulders. “This is all new to me too. Are you about ready to go?”

“I just need to put on my makeup. I’ll need ten minutes.”

Erika was still having a hard time wrapping her head around this whole modeling thing. The photographer had asked for her to sit for some photos today which she would then shop around with agencies and local businesses.

She finished brushing her eyelashes with the mascara wand and looked in the mirror. Her bangs were in need of a trim. She would have to ask her mother if she could get in with Sasha. Come to think of it, Tricia’s adorable fauxhawk pixie needed to be cut again. She mentally added a visit to Sasha as something to do before Christmas.

She double checked that she had the three outfits and everything she needed to go with them; earrings, shoes etc… She stuffed her makeup bag in the garment bag with everything else and hauled it down stairs. She slid into her ankle boots, pulled on her coat and joined her mother in the car.

“Hello, Erika?” a tall woman with dread locks greeted.

“Yes.” Erika answered. Well she did look like an artist. Strange layering of clothes, long dreadlocks, a nose ring and a few tattoos on her fore arms.

“I’m Bobbie.” She smiled. “I’m so glad that you came in. “Mrs. Martin.” She took Erika’s moms hand in greeting. “When I was going over the family photos, I was entranced with you.” She directed to Erika. “You have such enchanting eyes. I just had to give you a call and ask you to sit for me.”

Erika flushed. “I’m flattered.”

“Please, the two of you, come with me.” Bobbie led them through a set of doors to where they had done their family photos. She then took them through another set of doors into a much larger studio with many more lights, settings and props.

“Wow. I didn’t know this was back here.” Erika looked around in wonder.

“It’s for special shoots.” Bobbie explained. “I see you brought some clothes, great. I’ll be doing mostly torso and face shots, but I’ll need some body shots as well.”

“Just to be clear. There won’t be any explicit photos will there?”

“Heavens no.” Bobbie grinned. “First, she is a minor, It’s against the law. And second, I don’t work in that kind of field.

“Your makeup looks good, but I’ll have you put on a bit more. The camera tends to wash things out.”

Erika bit her lower lip, looking nervous.

“Tell you what.” I’ll help you out.” Bobbie laid a hand on her shoulder. “Mrs. Martin ….”

“Please, Nancy.”

“Nancy.” Bobbie smiled. “Please have a seat over here and make yourself comfortable. There is a Keurig over here with tea and coffee. You’ll be able to watch us as we prepare Erika.”

Bobbie led Erika over to a makeup counter with mirror and lights, just like she’d seen in movies. She switched on the lights which made Erika flinch until she became to the brightness.

Bobbie went through Erika’s makeup and helped her apply what she thought would look right for the pictures. Erika was starting to question Bobbie’s advice when the photographer stood back and smiled. “That will look amazing. Shall we start?”

“Sure.” Erika stepped away from the bright lights and mirror. “Is what I’m wearing okay?”

“It’s perfect for this first step. After all, we have to get comfortable with one another. Before we have you go changing.” Bobbie looked over at Erika’s mother. “Are you comfortable, Nancy?”

Her mother nodded with a smile.

“Okay, we are going to turn on some music, it’ll help you to move and hit poses.”

After just a few minutes, Bobbie asked her to loosen up. She was too stiff as if she was posing for senior pictures.

“Move some more, flick your hair, flirt with the camera. Pretend that the camera is your boyfriend.”
Erika grimaced.

“Okay, pretend that it is your girlfriend then.” Bobbie seemed unaffected by her preferences.

After a few more minutes Bobbie called a halt. “Do you have an outfit that you’d be more comfortable in?”” she asked.

“Sure.” Erika grabbed her bag. “Do you have a dressing room?”
Bobbie smirked. “If you are shy, you can use the bathroom.”

Out of the corner of her eye, Erika saw her mother start to get up.

“I’ve just never done this before.” She said. “I’ll be right back.”

A few moments later, Erika came back wearing a knee length, royal blue , pleated skirt and a white long sleeved blouse with lace that covered her cleavage and shoulders. She smiled to herself as her black three inch heels clicked across the floor.

“this is what you call more comfortable?” Bobbie raised an eyebrow.

Erika nodded with a smile. “I Like being a girl.”

“Okay. Shall we continue?”

Erika did feel more relaxed now, and Bobbie seemed to notice. After a few minutes, she called for a stop.

There are a bunch of props over there, how about you choose one.”

A few minutes later Erika came back with a bouquet of flowers. They may have been fake, but none but a trained eye would have been able to tell.

“Oooh, that’s good.” Bobbie smiled as Erika stuck a few poses. “Now you are getting the hang of it.”

Bobbie kept telling her how pretty she was, how amazing she was. Erika felt like she was glowing from all of the praise.

“Okay, good.” She lowered the camera. “let’s call that a wrap.” She plugged a cord from a laptop into the camera and pushed a couple buttons. “Oh, you can change if you want. This will only take a moment.”

“I’m fine.” Erika stated.

“Well then, here is your copy.” She handed the thumb drive to her mother. “Your husband requested it.” She turned back to Erika. “it was a pleasure meeting and working with you. Once we were able to break the ice, you were amazing. I’m sure we will be able to find you an agent and even a job or two soon.

“You really think so?” Mrs. Martin asked.

Bobbie locked her gaze. “I do.”

Erika switched out of her heels and back into her ankle boots, it was too icy outside to risk falling or twisting an ankle.

“You did very well.” Her mother told her once they reached the car. “what made you pick the flowers?”

“They were pretty and I thought they would go well with this outfit. Was that wrong?”

“No. it was just an unexpected choice. That’s all. You ready to see Dr. Barts?”

Erika shrugged “I guess.” In truth, she was excited and a little nervous to see her psychologist. She needed to talk to her about the visions that she was having during her ‘events’ as Pete called them. It sounded better than seizures.

“How are you, Erika?”

“honestly, on one level, I’m doing great. On another not so well.”

“I heard that you have had a couple of seizures.”

Erika nodded. “is it true what the Dr. said about them being caused by my brain healing?”

“Do you think that the Dr. would lie to you?”

“No, but sometimes they don’t always tell the whole truth either.”

“Do you have a concern?”

“A little.” She bit her bottom lip. “what if it never heals, and I have these seizures for the rest of my life?” her voice began to tremble. She took a deep breath. “they are not fun. They put me out of commission for at least a day.”

“I Won’t lie to you Erika, there is always the possibility that you may have these for the rest of your life. We just don’t know enough about the brain to know for sure. The good news is that there is medication out there that will help control it. Erika,” Dr. Barts made sure she had Erika’s attention. “I think you made the correct, adult, decision on having the tumor removed. No one could have foreseen the seizures as a side effect.”

Erika nodded fighting back tears.

“I’d like to tell you something in confidence. You can’t use this or say anything about this later, okay?”

Erika nodded

“I’ll need a verbal promise.”

“I promise.

Dr. Bart’s paused for a moment. “Your mother is having a hard time. She knows that getting the tumor removed was the right thing, but she feels guilty and slightly responsible for your seizures, by pressuring you to have the surgery.”

“I can tell.”

“Do you feel that she is responsible?”

“No.”

“it might go a long way in your relationship if you explained that to her.”

“Okay.” Erika agreed. “Dr. Barts? Do people experience hallucinations when having a seizure?”

“I’ve heard of such things, it’s possible. Have you experienced one?”

Erika described her two visions while having the seizures.

“They seemed so real. I felt what he felt saw what he saw.”

“interesting.” She remarked “as a psychologist I’d say that it is brought about by your subconscious. Perhaps a buried yearning of being a man with a family.”

“Seriously?”

“It’s possible. Remember the brain is the least understood devise known to man.”

Erika was frustrated. How could any part of her brain want to be a man? Been there done that. Being a girl was far better.

Erika dragged all of her stuff back upstairs. She changed out of her skirt and blouse hanging them back in the closet for later use. She reached under her trash can and retrieved two pills and quickly swallowed them before calling Tricia and Samantha and telling them all about the photo shoot.

“Erika,” her mother called. “I could use some help with dinner.”

“Gotta go. See you tomorrow.” She hung up. “Coming!

up
218 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Finally, Erika has broken

the ice with a lot of people in her school. It wont stop the hardcore bullies, but she now has more friends than before :) I have high hopes her life improves from here, but the seizures may be the sore spot in the future. I know the old saying "Those that burn brightest, live the shortest." But I wouldn't like Erika's life ruined just when her goal is within reach :(

Sephrena

bluesteel.jpg

She's sneaking pills?

What are they? I forgot if she still has her gonads? Is she taking Estrogen? or Birth control pills? I doubt that they are causing seizures.

Nice

Gwen

Natural Supplements...

I assume this is what was being referenced, from P&P #50:

[Aunt Carrie:]“Here is a list of over the counter herbs and amounts. These will help increase your oestrogen levels in a way that is 'natural'.”

“You can do that?” Erika asked.

Aunt Carrie nodded. “Just promise me that you'll be careful. And If you have questions that you get a hold of me before you try anything on your own.”

“I promise.” Erika nodded.

“You'll want to hold off on taking any of this until you're two weeks in recovery. Since they might show upon you [sic] blood test.”

“Two weeks?” Erika groaned

....

“Do I have to wait?” Erika whined.

Aunt Carrie nodded.

Assuming that's what we're dealing with, I'm not sure she waited the two weeks.

(And yes, she still has all her male parts. Her concern in that scene -- and in Chapter 2 here, when she unsuccessfully asked her doctor for blockers -- was that there'd be nothing to prevent testosterone from flooding her system after the operation.)

Eric

I'm not sure I would have mentioned.....

D. Eden's picture

The visions she is seeing during her seizures just yet.

I worry about them being used against her in her desire to transition - especially if her mother gets hold of that information.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

As We've Seen...

...it's Eric and Samantha who are coupled in the vision, rather than Tricia. (With a daughter named after Samantha's late sister.) Made me wonder if what we're seeing is what would/might have happened had the two of them not gone to camp -- or had gone, but with Eric still presenting as male -- after they got together at the start of the summer.

Getting through the next couple of years, with Eric still the Plague and Samantha unable to connect with him during the school year except online or in secret, would have been awfully tough to live through. I suppose there are alternatives: Eric developing confidence and even popularity at camp and somehow carrying it over to school, perhaps with Samantha's sponsorship, so to speak. In the aborted version of this story, testosterone turned Eric into a credible athlete, but that wouldn't have happened right away unless we're assuming that the tumor wasn't there to hold things up.

Anyway, I guess we'll see where things go from here.

Eric

Experience

Jamie Lee's picture

The fools who are making fun of Erika because she had a seizure should have to experience one to learn how frightening and humiliating they can be. It was a stroke of good fortune that Pete was at the game and knew the signs that a seizure was about to take place.

He may be embarrassed about the attention from the girls, but his was a very unselfish act.

While seizures are inconvenient for many people, they are not the end of the world, just a life adjustment. Erika's brain needs time to fully heal and adjust to the absence of the tumor. Until doctors certify healing is complete, Erika needs to be very patient.

Simply because something is over the counter doesn't mean it can't be affecting any medication prescribed by a doctor. Whatever Erika is sneaking may be reaction with whatever prescribed medication Erika is taking. She needs to lay off those pills until everything has healed. Or someone needs to catch her in the act of taking them.

Others have feelings too.

Re: Experience

I agree with the first paragraph of your comment, Jamie Lee. Why? Because I have extensive personal experience with grande mal seizures, from when I was a baby (I don't remember that time period much but I found out from a scrapbook with some life info in it from that period that I had several a day, sometimes ten or more). By the time I entered grade school, it was maybe three or four a day. Over the fifteen years after finishing grade school, the seizures slowly decreased until they were occasional instances, then stopped.

My having seizures while at school for those eight years happened often enough that I was ridiculed for it by many of my school mates. I can still recall being called spaz like what is mentioned in this chapter as what Erika thought people were whispering about her at school.

Seizures didn't stop me from participating in sports, but my small size meant I usually wasn't very good at them, especially those requiring strength or height or both. It was kind of funny, though, because I had kids coming to me for help on spelling and math. LOL

I have to agree with the bit about OTC meds possibly affecting prescribed meds. That can be very, very dangerous.

I'm glad to see the girls being nice to Pete. He deserves it after saving Erika not once, but twice so far. Yes, he came close to slipping up name wise when sitting at the table with the girls, but I believe it may have been passed off as his being tongue-twisted around girls.

...

those pills are causing the seizures, I am sure of it! Please let the doctors figure it out!

Visions

I’m worried her mom would try to use the visions against her as well.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna