It's Complicated - Part 3 "The Three Sisters"

Printer-friendly version
 It's Complicated  

Part
 
Three

 

"The Three Sisters"

 

 
This is the seventh book in the Tamara's Tales (formerly Tommy & Tamara) series. For the whole saga visit Tamara's Tales
 

 
Monday 21st December 2015
 

They landed at Aberdeen at four in the afternoon, where a helicopter met them for the final leg of their journey to Thurso. They'd flown BA via London and had barely enough time to grab a coffee at either Düsseldorf or Heathrow so were tired and hungry.

Richard had been in constant contact with Pru, when they weren't in the air, but wasn't passing on everything he was learning.

"How bad is she, Dad?"

"I can't answer that, sorry."

They touched down on Elsie's helipad at five, the house staff quickly collected their bags so the chopper could resume it's usual duties.

Tammy found Elsie in the lounge, but Andrea stopped her at the door. "She's asleep." The door was closed and Tammy followed Andrea into the dining room, soon all the Smarts were present.

"I'm sorry for interrupting your break, but I felt you needed to know how she is."

"Don't take any responsibility, Andrea, I brought everyone home. I had just hoped we had longer?"

"That's difficult to say, Richard. She's very weak and, apart from pain relief, she's refused all interventions. I'd like her to have oxygen but she's adamant it's unnecessary. She could survive another month but right now, even the common cold could kill her. Helen's got the sniffles so she's stuck in her room."

Tammy was tearful, as were her sisters.

"There's no hope, Andrea?"

"No, Tammy, only that she goes peacefully and that everyone remembers Elsie for who she was and not as she is now."

The room fell into silence, quiet contemplation.

"Is there anything that we can do?"

"No Richard, not right now."

The grounds staff had fetched two of the Smarts' golf buggies and they loaded themselves, plug luggage, aboard for a near silent ride across to Dunbankin'. They were met by Pru and Zara, who had prepared dinner.

"Dad, what's going to happen?"

"I don't know, but we'll spend Christmas here."

"I'm guessing there was a fall-back plan?"

"Yes, Tammy."

Tammy unpacked her bag after dinner, showered and laid on her bed, reflecting on the past twelve months. Elsie had been a key part of Tammy's début and development, this wasn't fair, not fair at all. She cried herself to sleep.

 
Tuesday 22nd December 2015
 

Angela demanded return of her phone and found a load of unread messages, increasingly threatening loss of friendship. Suzie took control. "Let's deal with this girl, but first we're booked in at the salon for ten o'clock. Don't reply to any messages from Hailey and don't answer any calls. Lastly, don't update any websites to say you're back here."

"I wanted to last night using my tablet but the wifi was off, I was too tired to argue though."

"Mum wanted a peaceful night, it's back on."

Tammy overheard the conversation on her way to the study, Pru hadn't arrived and Tammy needed to make a call.

"Hi Jenny."

"Oh, hello Tammy, I thought you were on leave?"

"We're all in Thurso, but Suzie and I were involved in an incident in Düsseldorf at the weekend."

She quickly explained what had happened. "I guess you want it in writing?"

"Yes please, I'm presuming your laptop is in London so can you fax it? Ask Suzie to do the same, please."

"Sure. I'll get that sorted."

"When are you back in London?"

"I don't know, I feel I should stay here until .... until I know what's happening with Elsie."

"Okay, I'll pre-authorise compassionate leave in case you can't be back on the fifth."

Tammy sat and wrote her report by hand, screwing up the first version before signing it. The second version started going through the fax as Pru arrived for work. "I just need the sent report then I'll be out of here."

"Okay, did you want that in the safe or shredded?"

"Shredded, please. Oh, sorry Pru but I really should do that myself - protocol and all that."

"Sure, I'll go for a coffee."

Tammy checked the fax report then destroyed her work. Although Suzie also had to submit her recollection of the weekend's incidents, she shouldn't see what Tammy had written. Protocol again.

Tammy drove the three of them into town, she parked behind Sarah's Boutique, next to the entrance into Caithness Marine.

"Okay, I've squeezed you in but I might need to send you along to the hotel if there's going to be a gap."

"Thanks Sandy."

"Suzie's with me, Debbie has Angela and Joanne is waiting for you, Tammy."

"I don't remember being booked to see her?"

"Maybe not, but I guessed you didn't trust anyone in London?"

"I just never had any time."

"So, get in there!"

Joanne was waiting, "strip!"

"Really? I thought you'd want to interrogate me first?"

"No, the interrogation is easier when I have you on the table."

Tammy settled on her front, Joanne started on her legs. "So, Facebook tells me you're in Thurso but no-one has seen you?"

"It's a little trick to keep people off my back, they can look for me in the wrong place."

"So where have you been?"

"London, working. I recycle virtual paper in an office for nine hours a day."

"That doesn't sound glamorous?"

"It isn't, but I'm stuck there for now."

"Who are you working for?"

"It's a government agency, the sort that changes their name every few years to confuse the press and their own employees."

"A ruddy quango then? Roll over!"

Joanne continued her hair removal duty. "When are you coming home?"

"I really don't know, I guess it's safe?"

"For who?" Joanne laughed.

"Fair point, let me guess - the crime rate has gone down during my absence?"

"Sandy Franklin suggested that, but she'd only get it second hand from her hubby, did you hear what happened?"

"Err, no?"

"That guy, one whose wife you shot, didn't you hear?"

"No?"

"He was found in his cell on Saturday morning."

"Dead?"

"Yes, apparently he was in solitary confinement so there's a big do about it."

"I haven't seen a paper for days."

"You didn't deny shooting the wife?"

"Oh, I thought that was common knowledge?"

"It isn't, Tammy, but Sandy knew what really happened. She's pissed with you about the musical, you didn't even get to a performance!"

"I know, I'll have to see her and apologise, but I haven't been in control of my own life for the past couple of months."

Joanne had finished Tammy's legs and now took a look at her arms. "Okay, just a bit of tidying up, plus....."

"I haven't been swimming for ages!"

"Well, you have two pools available so there's no reason to put it off?"

By the time Tammy staggered back into the main salon, Angela was with Sandy Smith and Debbie was looking underemployed. Suzie was Joanne's next victim.

"Well, Tammy, those nails haven't been looked after!"

"I've been busy!"

"So I gathered, but Suzie isn't saying a word about your work and Angela is just guessing, so what's the real story?"

"I work in an office near Parliament, I ride the tube every day and I have joined the rat race!"

"Sounds like you're doomed! No excuse for ratty nails though, I have time to do a pedi as well if you want?"

"I have tights on under these leggings and I'm not stripping off again!"

"Fair enough! What are you doing for Christmas, now you're back?"

"Well, I wish I knew. I have no party invites, I don't know where we're spending Christmas Day, or Boxing Day, or Hogmanay for that matter?"

"So that great Miss Smart isn't organised?"

"Not at all, where's it all happening? What about your sister?"

"I've given up trying to pin Tanya down, she's got John under her thumb despite everyone's best intentions."

"I'll go see them, I guess John's working right up to Christmas Eve?"

"Probably but we don't see him any more. A few of us are meeting up on Christmas Eve at one, the salon is closing then. The plan is we all head home about five."

"Okay, I'm game for that, does Suzie know?"

"Yes."

"Angela?"

"No committal, as ever. What's up with her?"

"I wish I knew!"

"Okay, what colour do you want these?"

"I don't know, what do you suggest?"

"I'd go ruby."

"Sounds good."

Eventually Tammy landed in Sandy's chair, although she was pulled away and a junior stylist took over.

"What do you want done?"

"Just a tidy up."

"When was it last done?"

"A few months ago."

"Who by? Some posh London salon?"

"No, here and it was your boss."

It turned into the quickest haircut, the girl, Kat, had decided she wouldn't risk her mouth uttering the wrong thing again. The finished product wasn't bad, but Tammy decided she would try to get Sandy to attend to it before she went South, whenever that was.

Finally they gathered in the bar of the Castletown Hotel, Helen McPherson was waiting there.

"I thought you were confined to your room?"

"I thought you were in Germany?"

"Touché! How's it been?"

"Not bad, turns out it was just a head cold. Ohm do you mean Elsie?" Tammy nodded. "She started getting worst at the end of last week but she refused to go into hospital, that's when Andrea arrived. Alison is due here today. It's a matter of time, that's what Dr Abi said."

"How much time?"

Helen shrugged, "Who knows? She could be back up on her feet tomorrow?"

"Is that your medical opinion, Helen?"

"No, of course not, but I've been here whilst you've been down South, and you suddenly arrive just as she's getting worst?"

"Andrea suggested we came, Elsie has been a good friend to me for the last year or so, and much longer than that it would seem."

Suzie interrupted and pulled Tammy away. "Angela's had another message asking if she's in town, I've suggested she answers and we see what happens?"

"The last time I tried this, Angela nearly got abducted."

"I heard about it."

"I'm not armed."

"Neither should you be!"

"Force of habit."

"Look, all we're doing is finding out what is going on with our sister, nothing more."

Angela had sat with Helen whilst the other two girls kept a respectable distance. Tammy was distracted by a few familiar faces in the bar and lounge, all wishing seasonal greetings as well as asking where the girl had been. Tammy was distracted when Suzie elbowed her.

"Ow!"

"Over there!" Suzie diverted Tammy's attention to the table where Angela and Helen had been joined by a girl. A large shopping bag was sat beside her.

"Is that Hailey?" Tammy whispered, "what did you tell Angela to say?"

"I didn't think it would work."

"Great, you need to get into the field a bit more often!"

Angela was just getting up, and was putting on her coat.

"You off, Ang?"

Suzie moved down to the street door.

"Just going with Hailey."

Hailey clearly wasn't impressed by the interruption, "Come on, we'll miss him!"

"Mind if we tag along?" Tammy asked.

"It's private, like."

"Really? Where would you be taking my sister?"

"Sister?"

"Yes, what's this all about?"

Hailey looked uncomfortable and headed for the door, signalling to a male who was stood outside. He entered the bar and followed Hailey back towards Angela.

"Come with us!" Hailey looked at Tammy, "You don't even look alike, keep out of the way!"

Suzie was behind the male, waiting for the right moment.

"Miss Smart, let us handle this?"

The two part-time officers, PCs Andrew & Neale Fraser, were in plain clothes.

"Are you on duty?"

"Yes, Christmas shopping patrol. We spotted you in here so guessed there might be some trouble."

"Thanks, those two are tryin to take Angela away and apparently have been trying for several days, but we don't know why?"

At Tammy's suggestion, Suzie went to Angela, whilst Tammy took up a position behind them.

"I told you to keep out of it!"

"Fine, but Angela's going nowhere. What is it you want from her?"

Hailey rushed forward, clearly intending to attack Tammy but Tammy easily avoided her, leaving Hailey on the carpet. The male got nowhere as Andrew Fraser stopped him, Neale dealt with Hailey.

"We ain't done nothing!"

It seemed only a short time later that uniformed officers arrived, accompanied by DS Franklin.

"Good afternoon, Tammy. You're back in town one whole day and we already have to arrests to deal with."

"Thanks Ben, merry Christmas to you too! Look, I don't know what their aim is, but they've been harassing Angela since at least last week."

One of the uniformed officers had queried the shopping bag, neither Helen nor Angela made a claim on it so Hailey was asked.

"No, not mine!"

Suzie, however, knew different. "She walked in with it, there's another one near the door that he left on his way in."

That earned her a scowl from the pair. A quick dig through both bags revealed a few shoplifted trophies. The pair were swiftly removed.

"Well?"

"Well, what, Angela?"

"Did you work out what they were after?"

"No, but at least they'll have to answer for something."

"And they now know that you're not alone, sis."

"Yeah, but what were they after?"

No-one knew.

"Lunch?"

"Sure."

Tammy's phone chirped, followed immediately by similar noises from Suzie and Angela.

"Dinner at Elsie's, oh."

"Is that a problem, Tammy?"

"Yes, I've gone up a dress size so I don't have anything to wear."

up
384 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Just what those 3 need

Sammi's picture

an excuse to go shopping.

This may sound strange, but I hope that their attempt to abduct Angela was due to something to do with Tammy!!!


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

*SMACK*

Alecia Snowfall's picture

*SMACKS DA KUDO BUTTON*

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Tammy's luck is holding

Bobbie Sue's picture

It's so good to see her in action again, even if she isn't armed (grin).

Good cover during the

Good cover during the Christmas season to act as shoppers. Their problems are two fold, one they tried to grab Angela and two having stolen items in their bags. Bad Form. Bad move.
I'm thinking they were trying to kidnap Angela and hold her for ransom; not knowing or actually did know she had two sisters, Tammy and Susie; who were their primary targets in the end.

Magnetic Attraction

joannebarbarella's picture

It'll be interesting to find out what those two really wanted. That Thurso sounds like the most dangerous place in Scotland. It attracts criminals from all over Europe and then they meet Tammy.

Crabapple Cove

TheCropredyKid's picture

[NT]

 
 
 
x

home is where.........

the action is! I have missed Thurso, I bet its cold up there at this time. I was worried that the castlletown hotel was going to be blown up by two carrier bag bombs.

ooops! nearly forgot!

Its the festive season, and this year Shiraz, I am sending you a virtual tanker load of the finest Shiraz to lubricate your pen. I hope you and yours are well and youhave a good Crimbo. Cheers

Shake out the iron

Jamie Lee's picture

Won't the bad guys even take Christmas off? Dense as a rock was about to leave with a girl she didn't really know, who ended up having a friend in waiting, each having stolen items. Hello!! Can't Angela get that there's something wrong with this picture?

Tammy needs to shake the iron filings out of her clothes so she can enjoy the holidays in peace.

Others have feelings too.