Meeting of Minds - Chapter 11

Printer-friendly version

Originally Posted to Classic BC July 18, 2004

Sue is NOT happy with the recent course of events.

Chapter Eleven
And Then There Were None

by Dana Short

Warning: This chapter contains strong emotion, expressed by even stronger language.

========================== ==========================

Eadgils was sitting in what he had named jokingly The Dojo of the Mind, when Sue finally showed up.

He was unsure of how long he had been there, time was odd in this place, but it had felt like he had been sitting on the mat for years.

When Sue finally stepped into view he rose, and turned to her. "Where have you been?" he asked.

"Thinking." She replied.

"About what?"

"Stuff."

"You should be here. You have a lot to learn if you are going to survive long in the Game. You of all people should know that."

"Yeah. Like it really matters anyhow. Seems like you are just fine living for me."

"What's that supposed to mean?" he asked.

"What the fuck were you thinking? Why didn't you kick that redneck bastard in the nuts the second he started trying to come on to you? Instead, you pretty much fucking ADOPTED him! What the hell am I supposed to do with a STUDENT?"

"Calm down Sue. Anger won't help anything. What's done is done." Eadgils responded, shocked by the vehemence of her sudden outburst. "What are you so angry about anyhow?"

"I am a WATCHER. I CAN'T ADOPT AN IMMORTAL! How can I have one following me around like a fucking PUPPY?"

"What would you have had me do? Leave him to fend for himself?" Eadgils asked, honestly. The dojo had vanished, leaving nothing but the eternal darkness, with the small lighted area surrounding them, unbroken this time by either the wall or table which had been here before, assuming this was the same place as before.

"If you hadn't picked him up in the first place, he'd probably still be alive. GODS! Can't you meet anyone without totally fucking up their lives?"

"Hey I resent that! I have met lots of people without fucking up their lives! I have done so consistently for almost four thousand YEARS!"

"Yeah, but when you fuck up a life, you REALLY FUCK UP THE LIFE, DON'T YOU?" she yelled, "I mean, look at me. I'm a Watcher. A FUCKING WATCHER, WHO'S SUPPOSED TO WATCH IMMORTALS, AND NOT INTERFERE! Suddenly, the next thing I know, I'm one of those fucking Immortals I'm supposed to watch, what's more, I have the fucking GHOST of another fucking Immortal stuck in my fucking head, and now that fucking ghost has fucking adopted another goddamed fucking Immortal! GODDAMNIT!" Sue screeched.

"Well I'm the one who's DEAD! Do you see me complaining about it?" Eadgils asked, finally loosing his cool as well.

"Yes." Sue replied flatly, her glare hard enough to cut diamond.

"Ok. Bad example." Eadgils replied. "Well, what's done is done. I'm sorry if I have needlessly complicated your life. I'll leave you alone from now on!" With that, Eadgils strode to the wall, which had somehow returned, stormed through the door, and slammed it behind him, leaving Sue alone in the formless darkness.

As water started to fall from the sky, Sue turned away from the wall and sank down in the rain on the muddy grass of the hilltop and just cried. She cried and cried until finally she drifted off to oblivion, sleeping a normal sleep, and dreaming normal dreams.

Of Eadgils, there was no sign.

========================== ==========================

up
115 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Temper Tantrum

My5InchFMHeels's picture

Not really a great idea, I suppose, going off on the one person(entity) that's got the knowledge to keep her alive.