Princess and the Plague: Erika's next Chapter 1

Printer-friendly version


The Princess and the Plague
Erika's next chapter
1

by Anistasia Allread
313722-PartyintheHeavenLAYOUTMAHAHAIDER-1325172079-798-640x480.jpg

Her eyes felt like someone had placed ten pounds of weight on each one. She tried to open her eyes, but they just didn’t want to oblige. Her head felt like someone had stuffed it full of cotton. Breathing in and out of her nose was not possible. Swallowing caused her ears to pop. Her tongue felt like sandpaper in her mouth. She tried to lick her lips but it was like rubbing dried leather across them.
“Welcome back.” A voice sounded from next to her. “Need some water?”
Erika tried to nod her head but found that a mistake as well. She heard the person shift and get up. Then felt a straw touch her lips. She took it and sucked on it. The water was room temperature and tasted of chlorine and other ‘purifying’ chemicals. Her mouth was so dry that she didn’t care about the taste. She took a second draw on the straw and swished it around her mouth to wet it. Any moisture was welcome even room temperature water.
“How do you feel?” Her mother’s voice came to her.
Erika licked her lips successfully this time. “Like my head has been packed full of stuff.”
“It has.” Her mother confirmed. “Remember, you just had brain surgery.”
“Yea.” She managed.
“More water?” her mother asked.
Erika managed a slight nod and felt the straw against her lips again.
“You want to sit up? Or are you comfortable?”
Erika’s mind wandered on the cusp of sleep.
“Go back to sleep, dear.” Her mother told her. “Tricia and Samantha will be by later.”
Erika welcomed the comfort of sleep knowing that the surgery seemed to have gone well.
 
 
“Water.” Erika croaked as she began to hear noises around her.
“Oh good, you are awake.” She heard an unfamiliar voice. “I’m going to sit you up.”
Erika felt the bed move beneath her. “Can you open your eyes?”
The weight was still there, but she managed to crack them to a blurry, bright world. “Here is some water.” A nurse held a cup with a straw to her lips. Erika managed to reach and hold the cup as she sucked on the nasty water.
“My mom?” She croaked.
“I believe she went home. Your father just went for some coffee. He’ll be disappointed that he wasn’t here for your return.”
Erika shakily handed the cup back to the nurse and tried to open her eyes further. She felt the crustiness of sleep around her eyes and began to wipe some of it away.
“How are you feeling?” the nurse inquired.
“Like someone broke my nose.” Erika groaned.
“That’s about right. They did break it to perform the surgery but they made sure to fix it and even repaired your deviated septum.”
Erika managed a smile.
“Oh, good you’re awake.” Her dad greeted from the door.
“Hi, Daddy.”
The nurse checked a few monitors and typed some things into the bedside computer. “I just emailed the surgeon that you are awake. “He’ll be with you shortly.” She excused herself.
Mr. Martin stood next to his daughter’s bed and smiled down at her. “You feeling alright, Princess?”
Princess? He had never called her that before. It was a bit of a shock, but she kind of liked it.
“My Nose and face hurts.” Erika explained. Her voice sounded funny with all of the packing stuffed up her nose.
“The surgeon said that everything went well. They were able to take the tumor out and they fixed your nose.” Her father smiled.
Erika managed a weak smile.
“Aunt Carrie will be by in a bit. Samantha and Tricia will be driving over after school.” He explained. “I really like your friends. They seem like good girls who care a lot for you.” He squeezed her shoulder. “Julian and your friend Stan stopped in to see how you were doing. Julian brought you a teddy bear. And there are lots of flowers for you. Most are at home but a few are out in the family waiting room. They aren’t allowed in ICU. But once you get downgraded to a normal room, you can enjoy them.”
“Erika nodded her understanding.
“You go ahead and get your rest.” He instructed her. “I’ll be right here.” He held up a paperback. He just would not join the new millennium and read off of a tablet.
Erika closed her eyes and welcomed the darkness.
 
 
“….. don’t want to wake her.” Samantha spoke just above a whisper.
“Samantha?” Erika peaked through her lashes.
“Sorry.” Samantha apologized. “Go back to sleep.”
Erika opened her eyes wider. “Tricia?”
“Hi Love.” Tricia greeted. “Leeza and the fam send their love.” She took Erika’s hand in hers and gave it a squeeze
“Don’t forget Julian.” Samantha nudged her friend.
“Oh, yeah. He sends his love too.”
“Water.” Erika’s throat and mouth were like an ancient crypt.
Samantha grabbed the cup and looked in to it. “It’s warm. You want some cold?”
Erika nodded.
“I’ll be right back.” Samantha hurried out of the room.
“I miss you.” Tricia squeezed her hand. “Like lots.”
“I miss you too.” Erika managed. “Thanks for coming. I probably look like a mess.”
Tricia nodded. “The Doctor said that the swelling and bruising will go away in a few days.”
“How bad?”
“Looks like your face and a truck collided.” She giggled.
Erika stuck her tongue out at her friend.
“Here’s some ice water.” Samantha hurried in and handed the cool plastic cup to Erika.
Erika took several sips and swished it around in her mouth.
“Much better, Thanks.” Erika was almost full voiced.
“Whoa talk about crypt breath.” Tricia squished up her nose and pulled back.
“Tricia!” Samantha admonished.
“Sorry. But it’s bad.”
“She can’t help it.”
A knock at the door followed by a nurse’s head peaking in interrupted the conversation. “Are you hungry, Dear?” she asked.
“Yes.” Erika nodded slightly.
“I’ll have a sandwich brought up. Turkey okay?”
“Yes, please.”
“We can’t stick around.” Samantha nudged Tricia. “But we will be back tomorrow.”
Erika frowned
“Julian wants to come visit, but he is afraid of hospitals.” Samantha informed her friend. “He says he’ll try to see you after you leave.”
“My dad said that he came by.” Erika remembered.
Samantha nodded. “He did. It took everything he had and Stan’s support to get him here.” Samantha smiled. “Don’t count on seeing him until you get home.”
“Alright, you two.” Aunt Carrie poked her head in. “She needs her rest and you probably have homework.” She looked to Erika. “Glad to see you alert. I’ll be back this evening. Your mom should be here in just a few minutes.”
Erika waved to her favorite crazy aunt.
Erika held her arms out to her two best friends inviting them in for hugs.
The room felt very lonely once they left.
 
 
Erika used the bed controls to sit herself up further in bed as the nurse came in with a tray. She was so hungry that the turkey sandwich seemed like a feast. Vanilla pudding and fruit cocktail went down just as fast.
“Well hello, her mother greeted from the door.
Erika pushed away the tray. “Hi mom.”
“How are you feeling?”
“Like a bus hit me. And ran over my face twice.” Erika sighed. “The food helped, but boy does my nose hurt.”
“I’m sure it does.” Her mother gently swept a loose tress of hair away from Erika’s face. “They had to break your nose to get to the tumor and then fix it. You’ll be sore for a while.”
“When can I get this stuff out of my nose?” Erika asked.
“Another day or two.”
Erika groaned.
“How do you feel?”
“Mostly tired and sore.”
Her mother nodded. “Don’t stay awake on my account. If you’re tired, sleep. It’s the best medicine for you.” Her mother squeezed her arm. “I’m not going anywhere for a while. If you need anything, I’m here.” She sat down in a chair next to the bed.
“Thanks.” Erika closed her eyes.
 
 
Victoria and Samantha smiled as they entered the hospital room.
“Hey, nice new digs.” Samantha greeted. “Glad to be out of ICU?”
“Hi. Victoria? What a nice surprise.” Erika greeted.
Victoria smiled. “I hear you are getting out tomorrow.”
Erika nodded. “I can’t wait to sleep in my own bed.”
“How’s the head?” Victoria asked.
“Fine.”
“How long until you can get back on Rally?”
Erika slumped a bit. “Not for a while, unfortunately.”
“I’m sorry.” Victoria wrapped her friend up in a hug.
“I should probably quit until next year. It’s not fair to the others.” Erika sighed.
“Nonsense.” Samantha scowled. “I know for a fact that Jordon and Taylor are working routines around so that you can stay on.
“Really?” Erika queried.
Samantha nodded. “You are just as part of the squad as you ever were…. With a few modifications.”
Erika beamed.
Samantha looked to Victoria who played with the end of her braid and looked from Samantha to Erika.
“We have some bad news.” Victoria grimaced.
Erika looked from one to the other. “What’s going on?” she asked.
“My dad just got news” Samantha started. She looked for guidance from Victoria who nodded. She looked back to Erika. “The Prosecutor settled with Josh’s family.”
“What?” Erika couldn’t believe her ears.
“They didn’t have enough hard evidence against him.” Victoria stated. “Everything was hearsay and there were no other witnesses except for you and Rachel.”
“They also used our getting even with him as a bargaining chip in the settlement.” Samantha growled. “Can you believe it!” her voice was growing stronger and louder. “He’s going to get away with it again. The scumbag nearly raped me and from what we have been told this wasn’t the first time and he is going to get away with it…. Again!”
Victoria wrapped Samantha in a hug. She directed her look to Erika. “He got some stupid probation and court ordered counseling.”
“But he sexually assaulted you, and beat me up?” Erika protested.
“His parents hired some high-powered lawyers.” Victoria shrugged.
Erika wanted to cry. This was just unfair. A creep like that gets off. She wondered how long it would be until he tried raping another girl.
“Isn’t there anything we can do?” Erika pleaded to her smart friend.
Victoria just shook her head.
“I’m so sorry Samantha.” Erika felt tears on her cheeks.
Samantha sat heavily on the bed and wrapped Erika in a tight embrace. The two cried in one another’s arms.
“Do we know where he lives?” Erika asked.
“No.” Samantha sobbed.
Victoria sat next to Samantha and joined the hug.
“I’m sorry to have told you while you are in the hospital.” Samantha snuffed. “You need to be healing to go home, not worrying about this stuff.”
“I’m glad you told me.” Erika squeezed her friend. “Does Rachel know?”
Samantha nodded.
“We’ll figure out something.” Erika whispered. “Next time we’ll do more than superglue his butt cheeks together.
 
 
Erika stood in front of her mirror. She cocked her head to the side as she placed a hoop earring in her lobe and took a good look from top to bottom. Her dark curly hair had only needed a few spots touched up with the curling iron. Her long bangs were like a black piece of lace showcasing her sapphire blue eyes. Of course, it always helped when she wore a royal blue sweater. A white skirt and blue flats finished her ensemble today.
The Doctor’s orders were to only attend school half days this week. She chose to go back at lunch today after she and her father took Aunt Carrie to the airport.
Aunt Carrie was such a breath of fresh air. She could definitely see why the family called her crazy, but she loved that she was a little ‘off’.
Erika put on touch of lip gloss before padding downstairs to join the family.
“Good morning, Sunshine.” Aunt Carrie greeted from over her cup of coffee. She had donned one of her new wigs and looked lovely.
Erika smiled. “Good morning.
“You look adorable.” She appraised Erika’s outfit.
Erika dipped a curtsy. “Thank you.”
“I’m sure going to miss all of you.” Aunt Carrie took them both in with her gaze. “You’ve made this old broad very happy.”
“You’ll come back at Christmas, won’t you?” Erika asked.
“Oh, I don’t think so.” Aunt Carrie looked into her mug trying to scry the future. “I’ll see about coming for Easter though.” She looked to her Nephew.
“We’d love to have you any time.” He stated.
“Anytime.” Erika’s mom agreed joining them in the kitchen.
Aunt Carrie got up and wrapped Erika’s mother in a huge hug. “Thank you so much.” She blinked back tears. “You don’t know how much that means to me.”
Erika glanced to her father who was smiling and wiping a tear that escaped his eye.
“We have your email and phone number. And you have ours.” Erika’s mother stated. “There is no reason we can’t stay in touch.”
 
 
Erika followed her father and Aunt to the airline ticket counter. Small talk and long silences seemed to be what was called for.
After checking Aunt Carrie in as well as her luggage. Erika’s father wrapped Aunt Carrie up in a hug. “It has been too long, and it had better not be this long again.” He stated. “You are and always will be one of my most favorite people.”
“I Love you, John.” Aunt Carrie stated. “You have such a lovely family. I am so proud of you.”
“Yes I do. Thank you.”
Both turned to Erika. Erika flew into their outstretched arms, her heart near bursting.
“You are a lovely young lady.” Aunt Carrie stated. “I am so glad to have met you.”
“I love you, Aunt Carrie.” Erika squeezed tighter. Tears coated her cheeks.
“I’ll be back. I promise.”
Erika finally released her and stood back. Aunt Carrie blew her a kiss and turned to go through security.
“Will she be back, Daddy?” Erika asked.
“I sure hope so.” He sighed.
Erika took her father’s hand and walked back to the car.
 
 
“Thank you Daddy.” Erika gave her father a hug in the attendance office. She swung her book bag over her shoulder and headed to her locker.
“Hey look decided to come to school.” Jake heckled.
“At least I’ll graduate on time, Dick head.” She retorted.
Several people in the hall snickered at Jake.
Once she put her things in her locker, Erika headed to the cafeteria.
“She returns.” Krystal greeted. “How are you doing?”
“Fine.” Erika shrugged.
“Erika!” Jordon greeted, “Welcome back!”
“Hi Jordon.” Erika greeted.
“So, when will you be able to rejoin us on Rally?”
Erika frowned. “Not for a few more weeks. I’m sorry, Jordon.”
“Don’t be silly. You just had brain surgery. Don’t forget to wear your Rally outfit Friday.”
“Even if I’m not on the squad?”
“You are still on the squad. We’ll just have other jobs for you.”
“Thanks Jordon.”
The Rally squad leader smiled. “See you later.”
Tricia raced up and wrapped her arms around Erika and pressed her lips firmly to hers. Erika would have been flattered, but they were in the middle of the cafeteria. This wasn’t the place.
Erika disentangled herself from Tricia and smiled. “Good to see you too.”
“Don’t stop on account of us.” Greg called.
“Suck it, dumb ass.” Tricia didn’t even look his direction. She just stared at Erika.
“What?” Erika asked.
Tricia just stared at her.
“What?”
“I always forget how beautiful you are and how lucky I am.” Tricia wrapped her in another hug.
“So, I heard you got your nose done.” Krystal teased.
“Sure. After they broke it.” Erika grimaced.
Tricia guided her to their table where they sat with Samantha, Taylor and Jordon.
“So, what did I miss?” Erika asked looking at her friends.
They all looked at one another. “Not a whole lot.” Samantha stated. “At least nothing that we haven’t already told you at the hospital or at home while you were recovering.”
“Did you guys hear about that shooting over at the skate park?” Jordon asked.
“What? What shooting?”
“Some kids from Adams high were involved in a shooting at Heather’s skate park.”
“Do we know them?” Samantha inquired.
“I heard something about twin cheerleaders.”
“Allie and Annie?” Erika gasped.
“You know them?” Taylor asked.
“Yes. I’ve met them. They were very nice.”
“I heard a rumor that one was a tranny.” Jordon made a face.
Erika’s heart skipped a beat. One of the twins was transgender? She exchanged looks with Tricia and Samantha. Could it be true?
“Can you imagine having a tranny on the cheer squad and not knowing?” Taylor made a face at Jordon.
“How could they not know?” Jordon asked back.
“My sister happens to be Transgender.” Tricia growled. “She is one of the most beautiful women I have ever met.”
“She is very pretty.” Samantha agreed. “No one could guess that she was transgender.”
Both Cheer and Rally squad captains looked hard at Tricia.
“I’m sorry, Tricia.” I didn’t know. Jordon quickly apologized.
“No one would know if she didn’t tell them.” Tricia’s hackles were up. Samantha nodded.
“What’s wrong with being transgender?” Krystal asked pointedly not looking at Erika.
“It’s just kind of creepy, isn’t it?” Taylor asked.
“Have you ever met one?” Krystal rebutted.
Taylor shook her head. “No.”
“Are you sure?” Krystal added.
“I think I’d know if I have ever met one.” Taylor stated.
Tricia got up. “I’ve lost my appetite.
Samantha, Erika, Krystal and Victoria all got up as well.
“I didn’t mean anything by it.” Taylor stated. “Drama much?”
Victoria held back. “We have a good friend who is transgender. And you owe Tricia a huge apology.”

up
261 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Yay, Erika's back!

laika's picture

Happy to see Erika and the gang back, but with all these gaps in my memory about the events leading up to this it feels more like a seven year coma than the day after surgery. I think I have to go back and reread Princess and the Plague and maybe Camp Komoni too, which I recommend for anyone new to Anistasia's works. They're both great serieses and well worth looking into...
~hugs, Veronica

That is the lovely thing about finding the story late.

WillowD's picture

If the new story you just found has already been finished and published then you can binge read the entire thing. I am lucky enough to be able to read all three of these stories in the same week or so.

So Happy To See This

I loved Camp Kumoni and The Princess and the Plague. It's really good to have you back. Thanks for sharing with us again.

What a nice surprise!

GrandiaKnight's picture

I was about to log off for the night when I saw this chapter appear. I loved the previous stories in this series and I am so glad it's starting again. Thank you and I look forward to reading the rest!

"The pen is mightier than the sword ... if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp"

Welcome back

I am really glad that you have come back. I was afraid something fatal had happened to you. I will re-read the last chapters of the preceding story to really make the connection again. You do not need to write this large pieces. Just keep on letting Erica return to a normal life again. And again very much welcome back.
Your Ginnie

GinnieG

I noticed Edyn's Skater Girls Twins within

this episode. Great addition to an already great episode!

(BTW, Anistasia already had written permission prior to Edyn's death to use her universe.)

Sephrena

Glad to see you back.

I had been concerned about how Erica would come through the operation. Of Course if her Pituitary gland changes as a result of the op ... I guess we'll see.

Thank you.

Gwen

I was really happy to see

I was really happy to see this story appear once more and be a continuation. Will now be looking forward to more chapters.

I really want Erik and Tricia to work out

So I'm worried about Erika's reaction to the kiss.

Is it just not wanting PDA? Is it not wanting PDA because she's a lesbian?

Or is she backing away from Tricia?

I'd have to say that if I had a girl like Tricia, I'd love a kiss any time anywhere.

Yay!!! 1000 Times yay!

Ericka's back!

And the story is still so really great with all the excellent life's bumpy bits.

*Great Big Hugs*

Bailey Summers

Thank you for more.

sonai67's picture

Dear Anistasia,

It is with great pleasure that I see Erika back. I have loved this story ever since Samantha got Erika to go to camp K. I am very grateful that this story will be continued some more and look forward to the next chapters that you write.

Sonai67

Outed ? Karen

Outed ?

Karen

Outed

When is Taylor going to figure it out it? She has been the closest so far.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna