Unlikely Quarterback – 17 How Do You See It?

Printer-friendly version


Unlikely Quarterback – 17
How Do You See It?


By Jessica C


Bryce Royce learned he’s androgynous sees self as Elaine…
Being Elaine, not the boy Bryce should have been okay...
Except Bryce is Mr. Royce’s boy and a football player!
…Bryce/Elaine became an unlikely Quarterback;
…now moving to be seen fully, Elaine.
=^_^=


“Elaine!” Ma Adams was surprised when she went in Jennifer’s room to wake up her daughters and me, Elaine, was there. It has happened a few times that when I semi-awoke in the night to go pee that I went back into my sister’s room and not my room to sleep. Usually, I woke up early enough to scoot, back to my own room.

Jennifer put an arm around me saying, “It is okay Mom. She’s done it a few times, but she just sleeps. Maybe Rhonda should have her room back and Elaine should be my sister here.”

I look up to Ma Adams' smile, seeing she’s thinking, I say, “That would be okay with me, however, you want it. I’m sorry about this time. I don’t know I do it until I wake up.”

She says, “I’ll need to talk to their father about it. There is no doubt that you’re a girl and now you’re more like sisters. Everyone get up and get ready for school.”

I am slow at getting ready for school. I am finishing getting ready as Rhonda carries some of her clothes into the room and puts them on her desk. She says, “No offense, but I want to have my own room. Dad can say what he wants, I’m making my decision known.”

Rhonda asked, “Is it true that the judge might rule next week you can get that dangling thing, cut-off?”

“My court advocate said I shouldn’t get too excited. Something about the judge being pressured about me being returned home. They don’t think that’s likely, but it might stop the judge from allowing me to change more.”

I got frustrated brushing my hair as we talk and I throw down my brush. Rhonda picks it up and says, “Stand still.” She sprays my hair and has no problem in getting it to do what she wants. She gives me a kiss on the cheek. “I like being your big sister.”

On the way to school, Rhonda says, “You know Elaine when you go to lunch; you should take your tray up to the art room. Dane’s usually there working on whatever he’s doing. It would be good if someone could distract him now and then.”

We have enough time before the classes begin, I go to see my guidance counselor. Ms. Brooks thankfully is there and I get to see her. I ask about eating lunch up in the art room with Dane. We also agree to a meeting and talk about the next school year.

She comments, “Elaine by your appearance I can see you’re becoming the girl you see yourself to be. Teachers report that there are days or even changes within a day that indicates things are harder than one might suspect. You should be coming to me on those days, you need to talk things through.”

“I should be in my homeroom ready to go to class.”

She said, “I’ll get a message to you if it is okay to be up in the art room during lunch. And I want to see you here if you have study time.” I agree and I'm quick to my homeroom. If it is to talk about planning for next year, okay. If it is about what’s bothering me, I’m not so sure about talking with her.

Today I am happy to focus on my classes. I like Madi’s outfit and notice Karen and others are wearing more bright colors of spring. I talk with Jamal in history thanking him for his help at the track. The guys have a track meet at Jefferson after school. Finally, the class period before lunch, I get a note. Ms. Brooks says I can go to the art room for lunch, but I’m to remember Dane is working on an art project for the school’s art festival.

What others call mystery meat, is really Salisbury steak and tastes decent better than what we had at home.

Dane is surprised but happy when I follow him up into the art room. Mrs. Drake is there as well and reminds us, me. “There aren’t to be any PDA’s (personal displays of affection). Dane joked with her, “I should stop my doing art then. This is a public display of my love for art.”

Dane had told me little about what he was doing. It is similar to the painting in the museum but of trees and an outdoors scene. It is an outdoor landscape of trees, shrubs and a creek running through them. The bottom right is blighted with the creek turned dry, plants have no leaves. The trees have musical notes visible in the trunks, branches and some leaves. One leaf is caught in the air, half green and the other part shriveled and brown. The trunk of one tree has a thermometer. Another has the appearance of a billowing smokestack. One bush looks like a luscious bowl of fruit. The blighted area has hidden in it the outline of a little boy with an empty bowl.

I ask, “Which is happening? Do you see that desolate area as the future or is nature restoring itself?”

“It is your own perception,” Dane replies. “How do you see it?”

Mrs. Drake comes over to me as I’m nibbling on my food. She sets down three pictures in front of me. One is the formal school picture taken at the beginning of the school year. One from December when I returned to school as Elaine. The third picture was of me with Dane at the museum. She says, “Could you draw these three into one picture for me?”

I am not used to seeing myself and this is the first time I see different pictures of me from this year. I easily see me as the quarterback. I’m not a rugged football player, but I’m more masculine, though I knew I’m a girl. December’s picture shows me as Elaine, yet my features and how I carried myself that weren’t as soft or as feminine as I am now. It is like time captures me in my transformation to being me over time.

I wonder as I look at the third picture if I had lost some height. Even with heels, it is easy enough to see I appear shorter and more slender next to Dane. There is no way I can draw capturing what Ms. Drake is asking. She says, “What if I’d ask you to use makeup and do the faces.”

The idea is creative; maybe I could capture the skin tones or maybe my eyebrows and eyes. Bryce could have the black below his eyes to help to look downfield in the direction of the sun. It hits me dramatically as I sense Bryce going to the ground as he’s tackled. Times like that Elaine cries, wanting to be free as a girl. “Why don’t they realize they’re tackling a girl? I can’t let them see.”

=^_^=

After school, I’m among the girl track members rushing to the track area. We want to get there to see the boys’ team bus leave for their meet. Track teams don’t have cheerleaders, we try to be that for the guy’s team. Jefferson is only twenty miles away. We change quickly and get in our work out. Coach Purcells knows some girl hope to get to the meet to see the guys run most of their meet.

Coach has me warm up, then run a mile, later she has us spread around the track at one hundred meter marks. We are not only to practice passing the relay baton, but we are also each to sprint our hundred-meter run. We’re not to do it once but four times as we work our way around the track. Tiffany makes it all the way around only to hear the coach say, “One more time around.” The coach doesn’t even watch us this time, but someone yelled when a runner let up. Ms. Purcells works with other runners, the high jumpers and the long jumpers. Each is concentrating on different parts of what they do.

Coach Purcells tells us at the end of practice: “While you can work to improve your running distances. That is your strength for most of you. But the last kick to finish a race is an area most of you can improve more. Whether you are trying to keep your lead or gain on the runner in front of you the last hundred meters can determine how you place in a race. Hopefully, it is not only important to your placing but the score of the team. If we can gain five more points that means some other team is also losing points.”

Kayla, a senior and our fastest runner in the 400 hundred meter run says. “Okay, let’s do it twice more at two hundred meters each before we cool down and call it a day.” We all know Kayla is wanting to get to the track meet and see her boyfriend Jeff run. We decide to do it and make it a fun time, as much fun as two more runs can be fun at the end of practice.

Tiffany teases, “Okay, we’re to do it with smiles on our faces. So the girl you pass will be upset when you look happy or energetic about it.”

I’m heading for the lockers to pick up my clothes, I already have my warm-up clothes back on. I’ll go home to shower and change, most of the girls do. Boys don’t mind community showers as much. Before I go home Coach Purcells tells me, “Tomorrow you’ll be our runner the third leg in the relay and Tiffany will be our last and fastest runner. Possibly, you’ll both be running behind one or two lead runners. You need to make up as much of that time and distance as possible. If Tiffany is less than three seconds behind when she begins her run. She’ll have a good chance to win the event going away.”

She asks me again, “What will you need to do accomplish that?”

I say, “Coming out of my last turn, I’ll be running hard to go ahead of the lead runner.”

She asks, “Do you believe you can do that?”

I say, “It’s the easiest way to know I’m under three seconds behind her.”

Tomorrow will be hard for me as I will be competing in the girls’ track meet at Jefferson. I haven’t yet run the 800-meter dash and 800-relay both in a track meet. Receiving and passing on the baton adds to the difficulty of the race. If any of us drop it; it ruins the relay for the others as well. I hope no one will be flying even a friendly drone in the area.

That will also the day before my court appearance. I hope I am not to distracted.

=^_^=

My day is not done when Rhonda and I get back to our house. Rhonda wants the beds changed and enough clothes moved so she can sleep again in her room. Jennifer’s closet is big, but not so big with two of us sharing it. Jennifer is happy to have me in her room. Ten-thirty, we continue talking, though her mom wants us sleeping.

It is a nice change for me to be talking to Jennifer as my sister. I do miss Sara and I hadn’t talked to her today. However nice a day is there is always something missing in it. ‘The Adams are a neat family, but I have a real sister that I love. My parents well enough had already been said.’

Rhonda was in our bedroom early in the morning. She gets an outfit out for me to wear. It is a bright and a pretty spring outfit; I don’t know a girl my age who likes someone else choosing what they’re wearing. I guess I did in December and January, but I usually asked. I confront Rhonda and she says, “You need to cheer up and if you have something better go for it. Otherwise, amuse me and wear what I have out.”

The skirt is berry red both nice and short, the top has a spring print. It barely reaches my skirt. When I sit, bend or stretch some area of me will be showing. I am comfortable for the first time that I have a figure that can look good.

We go to breakfast and I can tell Dad Adams was surprised by what I’m wearing. Rhonda and Jennifer both like the look for themselves. Them looking like this is not new to him. He looks to his wife hoping she’ll say something. Mom simply says, “All three of you look like spring fever has hit.” Dad mumbles his agreement.

The school’s pep club has the emblem of track shoes on each of our lockers. Dane and Jamal have written good luck on mine. There is a carnation at each locker and a corsage of baby roses at mine from Dane. Karen helps me to get the corsage on.

Today at lunch time I need to eat carbohydrates and the school is serving spaghetti. None of the girls is wanting to add weight. The truth is if we’re running two or more events we’ll easily burn it off.

On our way to the meet, I ask the coach if I can include the broad jump as part of my warm-up for running. We presently have two jumpers with a chance to place. Officials often allow other jumpers if time permits, one prerequisite is that you be an underclass student. Jenny Dean will be our third jumper and I will be the extra.

My first jump was over 16’ which would have been fairly good, but I fell backward and my jump measured under 15’. On my second jump, I started a toe over the mark and it was discarded. It might look awkward but on my third jump I imagined jumping over a down lineman and it’s like I’m running when I hit the sand. My jump was 16’ 7.5”. Since four schools were involved in the meet my fifth place finish counts.

Today I run my heart out in the 800-meter race and with a sprint the last 100 meters I passed two runners for a third-place finish. Coach Purcells was beside herself. I am down to 124 pounds. I drink part of a power drink to gain back a little of what I lost.

Jamal has come and further behind him is Dane. The meet is nearing its end and we are in a virtual tie. When the meet was set up, Coach thought we’d be competing for second place. Jefferson’s a good athletic school. But it is not used to competition at its own track invitational. It has won all of its girl track invitationals for the past seven years. Part is done by inviting weaker teams. It was a moniker that often fitted our program. But Coach Purcells has brought a new spirit to our team. This is her third year as our coach.

The first call is out for the 800-meter relay. Spooked, I look to the sky and then to Jamal. He for one knew I’d be nervous. He walks with us four girls to the marks. I complimented him on a first in the 200-meter and a second in the 400-meter yesterday. I heard the second was a controversial call that went to the Jefferson runner.

Jamal’s reply to my compliment was, “I’ll leave no doubt at the District meet.” It is early in the season to look that far ahead. Jamal says it, meaning he’d wait and not carry the hurt into other meets. Jamal is down and rubbing my legs. He had done so on the sidelines of football games when I was hurting. Now even as a girl, he seeks to be one of my better friends. Madi was kept out of competition until now. We would have one pair of fresh legs to start us off in the relay.

Madi has had trouble so far in receiving the baton and holding it. This would allow her to only have to hand it off. Steph Wolf will run the second leg of the race. Madi had run well but she brought us in as the third team in making the exchange. Steph is a long distance runner and runs each race at the same speed. She neither lost nor gained on the opponent in front of her, but she had lost ground to the lead runner from Jefferson.

The Jefferson runners with trouble in exchanging the baton were still nine seconds ahead of me, as I receive the baton from Steph. I felt good and I have lengthened my stride for the relay. After the first stretch, I was passing the next runner but I was in the second lane as we went around the curve. I stayed out because I did not know when I pass Southfield’s runner if I had enough of a lead to come back in. I was four seconds behind Bonita from Jefferson as we finish the first of the two laps. Bonita is surprised in hearing our coach counting the four seconds between us. My stride has shrunk a little but my pace is good. I choose to run right behind her as we hit the last turn. Coming out of the turn I go into my kick and step around her. Bonita is not a quitter, she hangs in there but I am now two strides ahead as we approach Kayla and their runner. Bonita stutter steps in trying for a smooth exchange. Kayla does well in timing me and she is in the lead from the very beginning. Apart from something going wrong, Kayla should and does widen the lead over the last two laps. We won’t break any record but it is the fastest time for the 800-relay this early in the district. We win the meet and it is extra sweet to take the trophy for the Jefferson Invitation.

I jump into Jamal’s arms as we win, but I quickly feel bad that it is not Dane. Dane in outside the track area along the fence. I find Rhonda and give her a hug; she won her races the hundred and two hundred as well as the two hundred relay. They were disqualified in the 100-meter relay as they lost the baton and stepped outside their lane on the first hand-off.

The sun was going down and it was getting even cooler as I get my warm-up outfit back on. We stopped at the edge of Jefferson to get something at McDonald’s. I’m ravenous and the salad only calms my hunger. Once back on the bus, I grab a nutritional shake to drink as we head back. It is my first bus trip coming back with a bunch of girls who have won something. The bus is not completely clean, but more messy than dirty. It is not disgusting like a guy’s bus often gets.

The bus does rock a bit but that is from girls dancing and bumping hips in the aisle, instead of guys jumping all over and hanging out windows. I get a text from Staci. It is the first in a while, she heard we won. “Congratulations Elaine, I wish I was there to give you a big hug,” I tell her how I won a medallion for the long jump. She can remember the play I envisioned where I jumped over the player. “They didn’t know how imaginative you are a girl.”

I realized I was also responsible for dropping our friendship because of how her parents see me. We do miss the other as a best friend. “Staci, we need to get back to being great friends again.”

She says, “Maybe we can find a time to go shopping. I’d like to find out what you enjoy doing now?”

Rhonda looks over my shoulder to see who I’m chatting with. “Ask her for me, if she’s coming with me tomorrow?”

Staci messages us back, “Yes, by I thought it was a secret.”

Unknown to me, Rhonda is also sending a text to her. I ask Rhonda, “What are you doing with Staci?”

She says, “Don’t worry about it, it is between us!” I look back to my text and Staci’s gone. I’m upset as my smartphone lost the connection.

=^_^=

We’re back to school, and we rush out to ring the old school bell. It is a tradition for winning teams at the school. One that the girl’s track team rarely gets to participate in. Our own invitational meet is still three weeks away. Though there will be five other teams, we’re now hoping we can win that.

Once we’re home, Rhonda says, “Mom, we were expecting, we could ride home with you and not on the bus?”

Mrs. Adams says, “Your sister reminded me Rhonda; if I brought you home you’d neither get to enjoy your victory ride nor get to ring the bell.” “If you don’t have your homework finished, you need to get up to your rooms and do it.”

Ma Adams turns to me, “Please get out the clothes you plan to wear to court tomorrow. I will be up in a little while and I want to see it. I’m willing to iron or use a steamer to get unwanted wrinkles out.”

I’m not really worried about making a good impression, but I say thanks as I know I should be.

I’ve read ten pages of American history before Ma gets to me. She compliments my choice of outfits and she asks if it is okay to steam the wrinkles out. She’ll then use an iron lightly to get the outfit to look special. I can’t help but giggle at Mom’s need to be meticulous with my clothes.

Growing up with my Mom, I never saw the need to do this, because it wasn’t going to happen. A couple of times I tried ironing things at home, my mom always threw on more of her own clothes or dad’s work shirts. That stopped that.

I had heard Ma taking time with Rhonda: I was pleased she did the same with me. It was like I was her daughter. I asked Mom, “Mom do you think it would be possible if Staci and I went to the mall on Sunday to shop and look around?”

Once Mom was gone, I need to break from my studies and shower. I can no longer stand myself when I need a shower. Plus I am so worn out from the track me. I’m happy I did it, but it was exhausting, I need to be in better shape.

The shower leaves me relaxed and getting sleepy. I go to eat a loaded salad and a small ice cream with chocolate sauce. I’m back to take care of my skin and hair. Changing into my teddy bear pajamas, I am soon frowning as I feel fat because of how snug they fit. Rhonda is in the room and she and Jenn giggle at me. I don’t think it is funny until they hold up my teddy bear PJs. The laughter attracted Dad which embarrasses me and that attracts Mom.

I would have swiftly changed out of them, but not with dad and mom there.

=^_^=

No sooner did my head hit the pillow and I’m waking up fully rested in the morning. Mr. Adams would be driving me to the Stronghold Court House where I’m to meet Grams and Marie Tull my Court Advocate. Before we left, Rhonda spoke to me in a way that caught my heart. It was like she was speaking to the image inside of me. It caused me to connect with that part of Bryce that has longed to see me being a girl. It was like I was in denial about how much that wiggly flesh interferes with me being me. I hugged Rhonda saying, “I really wish you could be with me.”

Rhonda has a cameo pendant that she begins put around my neck and tuck into my blouse. Grabbing to see the picture, I see her smiling face in it. I am now the one tucking it under my blouse but not my bra. Rhonda says, “I’ll be with you. Just look out into the courtroom and you’ll feel how treasured you are.” I close my eyes and picture Rhonda.

Riding in the car I turn to Dad, Darren Adams; “Mister Adams, can I ask you a silly question? …Do you see me as a girl or a boy trying to become a girl?”

He slows down as I know he’s thinking. “It’s not so silly. I know you’re a girl. But you’re also becoming a girl; I know today is important for you for that reason.”

Dad drives me up to the courthouse, I lean over and give him a hug. He gives me a kiss on the cheek as he does with Rhonda and Jennifer. “Thanks, Dad, I needed that.”

When I got out and stepped toward the courthouse, I heard Mr. Adams drive away. I turned and he was gone and as I stepped forward I felt so alone. I was a few steps from the first of two double doors. I looked in as I reached for a handle and I saw the smiling face of Marie Tull, my court assistant. I could hear her say welcome as I was opening the door and my fears began to wash away. “Come on with me Elaine, I have a private consult room for us. I am excited for you. I know you have been through a lot and had another scare with your Mom. How are you feeling today?”

I paused to reflect, I feel like my emotions are swaying with whatever breeze hits me. My body feels a little off, but my spirits are lifted once again. The mention of my Mom reminds me, I will see her in court. But she’s still in jail; what if she’s not allowed to come?

“Hi Ms. Tull, I am happy to see you again. Do you have any good news for me?”

Her eyes glow brightly, “I like the doctors’ report. They make a very good case for your life and body moving on.”

I say, “But I’ll still have to wait until I’m eighteen before they’ll let me do anything.”

Marie says, “They make a very good case that you’re already are and have been a female. They say it is a psychological and physical necessity that you are allowed to be yourself. That you are in the midst of your puberty and that any boy like features will probably be damaging.”

I say, “But won’t they think that is just a ploy by the doctors to allow them to help me? The court has only allowed me to live with my grandma and go to my school, living with the Adams. The only real change is I’m smaller, over ten pounds lighter.”

There is a mirror in the room; Marie asks me to look in the mirror. “Go ahead and tell me weight and height are the only things that change since early November?”

“I know, I look and feel more like I’m a girl. But that is not legal proof is it?”

Ms. Tull places a file that has grown in front of her. “These medical and psychological reports are substantiated by your physical presence in the courtroom. …The tough part is that your parents’ lawyer is more competent than the one they began with.” Her face takes on another look, “I wouldn’t be surprised if he moves for a continuance and tries to put delay after delay in our way.”

My heart sinks as I knew there would be a ‘but’ for why it shouldn’t happen. Grams knocks on the door and Marie welcomes her in, “I am glad you’re here. I think your granddaughter could use someone to be here with her.”

Grams begins to speak, stops and then says, “Yes, I should have been here earlier. It is too bad family and friends couldn’t be here.” I guess that means Heather and my Aunt won’t be here like I hoped. We go over the information and time passes slowly.

We wait until ten minutes before ten to enter the courtroom. I am surprised to see Dr. Akers enter and sit in the back. Mom and Dad come in with their lawyer and the people from the Department of Human Services and their lawyer are at a third table. The people from Human Services don’t smile when they looked over to us. The person at the front of the court says, “Rise for the Honorable Judge Clayton Hewitt.” Finally another person I’m happy to see.

Someone must have entered the back of the courtroom as I felt a breeze like a door opened. I hadn’t heard the door, so I didn’t look. Ms. Tull says, “Are they friends of yours?” I turn to see Mom Adams and Rhonda, Jennifer, even Staci and Karen are all here. They know, I am surprised and overly joyful to see them.

The Bailiff swears in everyone at the three tables and the Judge mentions responding to the letters of recommendation and reports of Dr. Owens and Dr. Akers. Mr. Cameron, my parents’ lawyer stands. “Your Honor, is the State is saying they are Elaine Royce’s parents and take on all the financial responsibilities for her? Mr. and Mrs. Royce only have a daughter Sarah and a son Bryce for whom they are responsible.”

Judge Hewitt gives one bang of his gavel. “This Court has already recognized the person you are calling a Bryce is Elaine Royce. The court session between that and this meeting affirmed that identity. The reports being received today go steps further stating she is indeed female and needs medical attention as such. The issue today is whether anyone challenges these findings and whether or not the court will accept these reports acknowledging that a medical necessity needs to be acted upon.”

Judge Hewitt addresses me, “Elaine do you understand these statements and that your Doctor, Psychologist and a Board of Physicians who have met with you and reviewed your case?”

I say, “I can’t say I understand all their terms and that, but I agree that I am and probably always have been a girl. I don’t like where my body makes me look like I’m a boy. I wasn’t told about me when I was younger.” I grimace as it feels uncomfortable like I am needing to go to the bathroom, but it feels different.

“Ms. Tull is your client alright?” I’m embarrassed, ‘I’d feel like a little girl if I have to say I need to use the women’s room.’

Marie says, “If we need to take a break we can, if not, I’d like to hear more of what the judge is saying.”

“Me too, I’m uncomfortable but I am sure I can wait.” I indicate we can proceed.

Judge Hewitt asks, “Elaine do you see the recommendation as a medical necessity?”

“I am being punished because I wasn’t recognized to be a girl. I understand that happens. Because my Dad still wanted a boy, I was not allowed to be me. It would have been seen as corrective surgery. Others were being allowed to see me as a girl being a freak; it leaves me in danger of attacks.”

“Every time I’m separated out, I am put in danger of others judgment. Is the stress killing me? Probably not. Does it harm me and do irreparable damage? Consider a girl age seventeen being held captive in a twelve-year-old’s body. I am already separated from my sister because she’s not supposed to accept me as her sister. That is not right. We see each other and we love each other.”

I sit down hoping the Judge will move on to someone else. Judge Hewitt turns to the people from the Department of Human Services. Judy Harms speaks up, “Our records have him listed as Bryce. This and most states I know don’t approve someone who is transgendered to undergo reassignment surgery until they are eighteen and fully evaluated. Come eighteen they are out of our responsibility. Truthfully, we don’t want the expense of her operations.”

Judge Hewitt says, “It is my understanding as early as when Elaine was thirteen your caseworker admitted she should have the right to see herself as Elaine and allowed to live as a girl. Where in your records does your department cite your caseworker as being wrong?”

“Our Department never approved that she was a girl.”

Judge Hewitt says, “It is my understanding of your records that Psychologist, Dr. Akers was approved and paid for by your department to receive Elaine as a client.” Judy acknowledges that to be true. “Within the first six months, she met with Elaine many times and gave her a battery of tests. What was her finding?”

Judy says, “Dr. Anne Akers found her to be a girl and should be allowed to live as a girl. Her parents did not accept that, but we allowed the Psychologist to continue to be Bryce’s counselor. We believe that has worked well for Elaine, but we never officially recognized her as a girl nor approved reassignment surgery. She now has less than a year before she is eighteen at which time she can request and be granted needed procedures if medically founded to be needed.”

Judge Hewitt seems a little upset. “If you acknowledge her body is androgynous, but that she is a girl otherwise. What merits are there not to allow corrective surgery?”

Judy Harms says emphatically, “Our department has not approved her to be recognized as a girl. That’s that, the state has given us the authority to determine that and you have my, our position on it?”

“Respectfully,” Hewitt says, “The state has given me the responsibility to review such cases. You have had four years to indicate that the caseworker on record and the Psychologist on record are in error that Elaine is a girl. If she is a female girl; is not the surgery corrective in nature, instead of gender reassignment? ”

Their lawyer rises, “What I hear. The Department says is that to allow approval of these recommendations to stand would be against what the Department is wanting. It would be writing new law from the bench.”

“I have not yet ruled, but if I would rule to approve the recommendation. I do not see anything written in Human Services reports to conflict with the finding of the original caseworker of Dr. Akers that saw Bryce as being a girl. If you have medical justification saying otherwise I do suggest you present it.”

He says, “There are indications that abuse was taking place, you knew it and you failed to protect your client from both physical and psychological abuse.”

Judge Hewitt turns to my parents. “I am ready to call a recess for lunch. And I understand your question Mr. Cameron about financial responsibility in light of your denial that Elaine is a female and a young woman. I want you to consider at this time if the Royces want to keep the legal rights and responsibility of being her parents.”

“I declare this court to be at recess until 2:00 pm.”

=^_^=

Once recess begins and Ms. Tull and Elaine step outside the courtroom. Elaine is swamped with hugs and greetings. The other girls walk with Elaine to the women’s room. Once Elaine is in the toilet stall and sitting down. There is a scream…

To be continued…

up
195 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

arg! a cliffhanger !

things seemed to be going her way, what now?

DogSig.png

That's...

waif's picture

...just mean.

A scream? Really???

grrrrrrr

Be kind to those who are unkind, tolerant toward those who treat you with intolerance, loving to those who withhold their love, and always smile through the pains of life.

OK......

D. Eden's picture

So Elaine is having her first period from what I gather.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

I think the scream

Renee_Heart2's picture

Answers ANY & ALL questions about weather Elaine is female or not as I THINK she just had her first period the urge to use the restroom was the BIG clue. As for mom & dad I say lock them BOTH up & throw away the key revoke their parental right for both girls & truly reunite the Royse sisters once & for all.

Love Samantha Renee Heart

I want to think that it was

I want to think that it was her period, but the way it was written makes me think that it was a scream from someone else.

To me this is A) her mother screaming about her being in the ladies restroom or B) a lady screaming about one of her mother's thugs...I mean "friends" trying to follow her into the restroom.

I don't like either choice, but it to me seems like it's coming from outside and by someone else.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

FWIW...

I read it the same way. It'd be very misleading, IMO, to use that wording if the scream were coming from inside Elaine's stall, since in effect we're in there with her and would know precisely where it came from if it were she who was screaming.

Eric

The first thing that caught

The first thing that caught my attention about Elaine was her need to use the restroom while in the court, and her words "it felt different".
It immediately had me thinking that she is a real girl, both in mind and body, and she was starting her first period.
So I'm guessing something triggered it, perhaps things like the hormone treatment she started?
If true, this should dramatically change everything when court resumes at 2:00 pm, because now it would a lifesaving surgery, not just a "feel good" surgery as the parent's attorney is trying to allude to and has been alluding to.

I know!

Raff01's picture

There is a spider on the roll of toilet paper!

Huh, double talk?

Jamie Lee's picture

Sounds like the DHS rep is talking out of both sides of her mouth.

The caseworker and psychologist stated Bryce should be allowed to live as Elaine. And the department never ruled otherwise.

Now when grilled by the judge she says the Department never approved Bryce living as Elaine. And yet they never disavowed the opinion of the caseworker and psychologist. Talk about double talking.

Soooo...who screamed?

Others have feelings too.