Alonely...Part three

Printer-friendly version

Alonely...Part three

*Before…

“Breakfast?”
I blink…it is morning.
“Oh…okay….that’d be nice will your folks be okay with it?”
“Thrilled.” He rolls his eyes. “I’m anti-social to the point of they’ll likely be fawning over you.”
I nod. “I can deal with that it’s better than the my kid’s an alien thing that mine treat me with.”
We get up and we head inside his house and he’s folding the blanket as best he can with what happened to his fingers. “Bad?”
“Bad enough my dad was kind of a homophobe and now he’d be grateful if I had a boyfriend I think…I’ve heard him call me the neuter when he didn’t think I was around.”
He looks at me. “Wow…what an asshole.”
I shrug…try not to get too upset again over it. “People have a hard time with asexual people…we don’t compute as much as trans people do.”
Trey gives me a nod and another smile like he’s trying to reassure me… “How about I just don’t try to compute you at all?”
I sigh… “Thank you…so…much…”
*And Now…

Trey’s house is pretty normal aside from all of the safety things that they have here for him like the safety railings and things. And I get that because he doesn’t move like he’s well he just isn’t able to move the way that he used to be.

I’m getting looks from his mom who seems surprised to see anyone with him.

“Trey who’s this?”

“This is Blayne they live next door.”

“Nice to meet you Blayne can I get you anything?”

Trey says. “Breakfast?”

She smiles genuinely at that. “You’re hungry?”

He nods. “Been up talking so like between that and the fresh air.”

“Just don’t get sick honey.”

He makes a rough sort of sigh sound.

And she passes him a literal handful of pills and a glass of orange juice. “Here take your meds.”

She holds them for him because he can’t do the handful of them and he’s picking the up slowly too though I can tell he’s trying.

I’m not an expert of anything medical but it really kind of looks like damaged nerves of something and considering the way that Trey looks and all that scarring he’s likely doing good as can be.

I want to know these things because it’s important stuff when you’re as lonely as I am and you’re making a friend.

And really in a scary and exciting way he gets me and I’m out as it were.

And that’s another thing.

It is out.

People don’t get how asexual folks can’t just have that connection as much as they get being any other sexuality other than hetero.

Well really I get flak online too even from some of the LGBT folks.

Asexuality isn’t voluntary it’s not abstinence, it’s not het either…guy, girl any gender in between it’s a nope.

And I’m not a neuter either, asexuality isn’t being agender either.

Though sometimes I really think if I was and went that whole androgynous look if I could pull it off then it might be easier.

Do I sound frustrated?

You bet.

I have feelings too so this is kind of why Trey’s friendship and understanding is pretty important.

Like I said before I’m alone in my own house with all of this.

His mom offers me a seat and asks. “Do you want something hot to drink?”

“That’d be great; I’m not fussy so anything just I don’t take sugar in things.”

She puts a kettle on and she makes a pot of tea and I’m not a huge tea drinker because no one in my house is but her’s was really good and it was brewed in a tea pot which was a first for me.

“I didn’t know that you heated up the tea pot with hot water?”

She smiles as she started making food. “Some do and some don’t I do because it just heats up the teapot and that just lets the tea keep hot longer. The most important thing is boiling water, not heated, not close to boiling but boiling.”

Trey does this soft laugh. “English relatives even I remember that from a few Christmas’s they really hated American tea.” he did air quotes as he said it.

Breakfast was quite a spread too.

She made French toast with homemade bread which I haven’t had before and she made toast with a different loaf that was like multigrain and dark and that was amazing. It was so dense and she cut it so thick that it stayed hot or warm at least for a while and she had homemade things to put on it.

I mean my folks are my folks and all but we’re a very I guess typical suburban household with most of what we get is boughten or pre-made even. I mean the folks can cook sort of but it’s not like this.

After I offer to help with the dishes and Trey’s mother’s good with that and it only takes a few minutes but I really do want to make a good impression.

I want his family to like me.

Once we’re done Trey offers to show me around the house and it’s pretty basic except for the handicapped features which are still a lot of the safety bar things and then finally to his room which is in the basement surprisingly.

I have to take my shoes off at the base of the stairs which are really well made and sturdy but with easy grip rails and short steps but the room itself has really thick carpet and underlay so that it feels really floaty.

“I’m surprised that you have this because of tripping.”

Trey shrugs as best as he’s able to. “I fall sometimes anyway, walking or even getting up out the furniture so Dad figured I might as well as have someplace kind of safe to fall.”

“Makes sense.”

I look around the rest of the room and it’s very much like a den, he has his own bathroom even a mini-fridge and a microwave and his bed is off in one corner of the room and it’s fairly high up so it’s more like rolling on and off of it I suppose.

TV, X-box, some other consoles and a laptop on a coffee table.

The amazing thing is the plants. He has a couple of tables with plants and little lamps and there several hanging ones all over.

“Wow that’s a lot of plants.”

“Nerve damage kind of makes playing videogames pretty hard my hand eye is garbage now so plants…well they move pretty slow my reflexes can handle that.”

I chuckle at that. “I can see your point there. I kind of always thought that people that were really into plants were pretty smart and things.”

He chuckles at that. “Not really I’m just smarter than they are.”

I look around some more and there’s some other things with varying degrees of geek and nerd and just general guy stuff and stuff really like he’s got a decent collection of books and a lot of them are hardcovers and some of them are really old science fiction and fantasy stuff.

He collects rocks too well minerals and he explains some of them when some are really cool looking and I have no idea.

And most of them come with stories too of before everything that happened and a few after.

“So rock hound, botanist any other things you do that are cool?’

“Human match, it’s my best Richard Pryor impression.”

“Huh?’

And that’s when he digs out VHS and these comedy tapes and I get to actually see Richard Pryor for the first time.

Two tapes in and I finally get the impression joke.

And while he’s really, really raw he is funny most of the time and it feels good to laugh.

It feels good to laugh with someone else too.

up
96 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

An oldie.....

D. Eden's picture

But goodie! I had actually forgotten about this story Hon.

This was a very interesting concept from the beginning, and I am really interested in where it goes.

I fully understand how real life can get in the way - trust me, it does for all of us - but I truly hope to see more of all of your stories Hon. It is unbelievably good to see you writing again, and to know that you are sharing your unbelievable talent with me.

Thank you for letting me into your thought processes just a little bit.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

I like this because I wanted to look at asexual characters.

I think of BCTS as not just a trans site but a good place for all the LGBTQAI+ people and experiences to weave together.

Hopefully more things will come.

*Great Big Hugs*

Bailey Summers

Acronym Stew...

My favorite formulation is LGBTQIAPWTFBBQSOUPLOLOL. ;-P Why take myself too seriously? Life is pain, but it's also beautiful, and not just a little dada.

I've a friend's daughter, almost a niece really, who's both asexual and aromantic, and somewhat but not entirely agender. Her dad has a really hard time grokking it, and I admit it's a little hard for me to keep entirely in mind when dealing with her (especially as she has ASD and bipolar issues, and years of emotional abuse from her birth mother on top). Mainly, she seems to do best when not having to deal more than VERY peripherally with issues of sex or sexuality, or with most of gender. When they are brought up in conversation, brief, minimally metaphorical explanations and keeping control of the flow of conversation so as to avoid her fixing on irrelevant detail seems to help her to be most comfortable and participatory (an issue she has, developed imo as a defense against both her father's and her birth mother's tendencies to excessive berating and belaboring).

I may point her to this story though, as she's willing to read web fiction, and I think there's a bit of a dearth of stories from an asexual perspective. :-) Maybe it'll brighten her day. Maybe I'll point her dad at it as well, to help him gain some much-needed perspective.

-Liz

Successor to the LToC
Formerly known as "momonoimoto"

Another unusual story from an excellent author

Not that many stories about asexual or agender (whatever the A is in LGBTQAI etc) but then Bailey has also written 'I can't breathe' and NOBODY has written a story about the 'Q' people.
Good stuff.
AP

You're right - every story is T but/and ...

there are stories where the L is significant .... or the B or the G ..... and there's a number using the I .... and asking the site to allow the correct selection of these letters would be wonderful but much too unlikely.
But thanks for your contribution to A & Q - my punny brain prevents me from writing Q & A as that might trigger the wrong sort of questions and answers!
AP

connection

a friend is a great thing, thanks