A Summer's Odyssey IV Chapter 2

Printer-friendly version
A Summer's Odyssey IV
Chapter 2

“Jenny, while I was settling your parents estate I had several encounters with your grandparents,” Jason explained. “They refused to acknowledge they had no rights to the estate and it took involving the police before they begrudgingly accepted the legalities. They made it quite clear to me and Chief Kramer they hated all lawyers and thought wills were just a way to rip off estates. As a result I have no doubt your grandparents do not have a will much less a lawyer. Chief Kramer will attest to that. Since you are the only surviving relative, you’ll inherit their estate. Once we assure they have made no arrangements for their estate you’ll have say in who becomes executor.”

Jenny looked at Ruth for guidance. “It’s your call, Jenny.”

“Okay,” Jenny sighed as a grim but decisive expression appeared on her face. “Mr. Lieberman, I’d like you to be the executor of my grandparent’s estate. At least when their estate is settled they’ll be out of my life forever.”

Jason pulled out papers that Jenny and Ruth signed granting him executorship.

“One last thing,” Jason said. “The funeral director who handled your parents funeral picked up your grandparent’s bodies. The estate will pick up those costs.”

Jenny frowned. “Can I designate what type of funeral?”

“If your grandparents made no arrangements you can,” Jason answered.

“I’ll give them the same respect they gave me,” Jenny passionately declared. “Put them in the cheapest coffins available. There will be no viewing or funeral. I know they have an eight spot plot in the cemetery so just bury them beside my parents with no headstone. Then sell the other four plots.”

“Unusual but doable,” Jason nodded his head. “Understood young lady.”

“Oh... Snoopy, Spike, Andy, Olaf, Marbles, Belle,” Jenny gasped as they were heading for the back door.

“What?” Ruth frowned.

The dogs! Beagles,” Jenny answered. “They kept them in an outside kennel. If we don’t get them they’ll starve!”

“I’ll call the Animal Rescue League,” Jason said. “They’ll pick them up tomorrow.”

“NO!!!” Jenny cried out as tears ran down her cheeks. “They’re my dogs! I named them when they were puppies! They were the only reason I tolerated visiting my grandparents! They’re about the only good thing my grandparents ever did!” By then Jenny began to tremble. “Please, mommy I want them! Please!!”

Ruth once more hugged her daughter. “What will we do if we get them?”

“Take them home with us,” Jenny sniffed.

Jamie and Robert heard Jenny’s shrieked ‘NO’ and hurried into the house. They were quickly apprised of the situation. It was clear Jenny was a psychological mess. After being murderously attacked by her grandparents her distress was understandable.

“Let me call Chief Kramer,” Jason said. “We’ll see what we can work out.”

*****

“I appreciate your distress, Jenny, but let me fill you in on what we’ve found,” Chief Kramer said when he reached the house. “First, Jenny you will face no charges. You should know, if the Glock was fully loaded in addition to the two shots in the house, he fired thirteen times as they chased you through the field.”

Jenny stiffened up and shivered as Ruth and Jamie gasped before promptly wrapping the trembling girl in a reassuring hug. Robert placed a comforting hand on Jenny. That news erased what little doubt/guilt she felt for being so harsh on the burial decisions she’d made for her grandparents.

“Now, as for the dogs,” the chief continued. “I took the keys from the truck before it was hauled away. Based on the interactions Mr. Lieberman and I had with your grandparents I know they hated lawyers and distrusted the legal system. I feel confident they had no will or a lawyer and we will sign a statement to that effect. I assume Mr. Lieberman has become the designated executor of your grandparent’s estate. As such, I’ll turn the keys over to him since he knows how much he can let you take today.”

“Thank you,” Jenny acknowledged.

“I need to say one more thing before I go,” Chief Kramer said. “Jennifer, I admire your strength.”

Jenny managed a timid smile and gave him a goodbye hug.

“Well, I guess if we clear out the rear seats on both trucks we can get three dogs in each,” Robert said.

“Wait a minute,” Jenny said as an impish grin formed. “My grandparents had an SUV. With the back seat folded we can get the dogs, their food, leashes and stuff in it! Jamie has a driver’s license so she could drive it and I’ll ride with her to keep the dogs calm!” Jenny hopefully looked at the four faces.

“I could drive the SUV,” Jamie said.

Jason chuckled. “How far is your grandparents place?”

“It’s about a mile away down the road,” Jenny answered.

“Why don’t I drive all of us there,” Jason suggested. “Then we can see what the situation is.”

Jenny, Jamie, and Ruth were in the rear seat with Robert riding shotgun. It only took five minutes to get to the property. It was up a steep valley just off the state road. The dogs began aggressively barking and jumping about in the kennel in response to their arrival. As soon as Jenny was out of the car she ran towards the kennel.

“Snoopy! Spike! Andy! Olaf! Marbles! Belle!” Jenny yelled. Snoopy

The dogs went wild! The tenor of their barking changed from the aggressiveness of protecting their turf to wild exuberance. Their tails were wagging so hard their entire rear ends were bouncing about. When Jenny opened the kennel door the six excited dogs swarmed her, knocking her down, crawling all over her as they gave her slobbery doggy kisses.

“I guess that tells us why she was so adamant about getting the dogs,” Robert chuckled as they walked to the swirling mass of fur and giggling girl.

After five minutes Jenny managed to get the happy dogs under a semblance of control. She had the dogs line up then introduced them to the humans. The dogs happily accepted them resulting in several minutes of petting and dog kisses.

Robert and Jason headed over to the SUV. It was a 2007 Escape that looked to be in excellent shape. Jason found the remote key on the key ring Chief Kramer had given him, removed it and gave it to Robert. Robert got inside and started the SUV. It only had 3500 miles on the odometer. Then he drove it to the back porch. Inside the screen enclosed porch was the dog food, leashes and grooming tools.

Robert and Jason went inside the house to unplug all equipment, appliances and clocks. They turned off the hot water heater, the pump for the well and set the thermostat to forty five degrees. Together they gathered the papers and documents they could find for Jason to review. Jason filled out a form that as executor granted approval for use of the SUV.

By the time they returned outside the dog food grooming tools were loaded in the back of the SUV. The now leashed dogs were still excited to be with Jenny.

With nothing left to accomplish, they decided to leave. Jamie sat behind the steering wheel of the SUV. Opening the back doors Jenny guided the dogs to the open rear doors. No urging was needed for them to jump inside. After shutting the rear door she sat in the front passenger seat where she was able to talk to and pet the dogs.

Jamie followed Jason as he took Ruth and Robert back to get the trucks. After saying goodbye Robert led the convoy as they headed back home. Ruth followed in the Explorer while Jamie and Jenny brought up the rear. It was a bit before 6:00pm when they pulled out of Virginville. Both trucks and their trailers were loaded down causing them to drive cautiously. They stopped for supper just south of the Mason-Dixon Line. Robert ate quickly then went for a short walk while Ruth, Jamie and Jenny used the meal to wind down a bit. Once he was away from Jenny he called Jane and Leroy.

Naturally Jane and Leroy were horrified to learn of the attempted murder of Jenny and the tragic death of her berserk grandparents. They assured Robert they’d spread the word of what went down as well as the fact Jenny was bringing her six delighted dogs.

Since they’d be arriving somewhere between 8 and 9pm with two loaded down trucks and trailers arrangements were made for them to pull into the barn that housed CWP Engine and Mechanical Repair to park overnight. They’d unload and sort the loads tomorrow. It was a bit after 8:00pm when they pulled onto Wells Point Lane. As the trucks continued to the O’Brien farm Jamie headed to their home.

Living next door to the CWP Landing the Spade, Reese and Evans families along with Krista, Tony and Jimmy had been anxiously awaiting the Ewell’s arrival, especially after hearing about Jenny’s horrific fatal encounter with her grandparents. The sun was dipping behind the trees to the west when they heard the familiar crunching of the gravel road. Krista, Tony, Jasmine, Jimmy, Sam, Holly and Ivy sprang from the porch running to greet the approaching vehicle while Frank, Sarah and Heather followed at a leisurely pace.

Seeing the teens and preteens running toward them Jamie tooted the Escape’s horn and put on the turn signal. She drove into the grass of the front lawn then drove around to the back of their home. The adults hadn’t seen the vehicle but saw the kids disappearing down the side of the house.

Once parked outside the enclosed back porch Jenny and Jamie exited only for Jenny to be swept off her feet and twirled about in a joyful and relieved hug by Sam who had been horrified to learn his girlfriend had been so viciously attacked. As soon as Sam let Jenny’s feet hit the ground he quite passionately kissed her. As soon as the kiss ended the others swarmed Jenny in a group hug. By then the adults had arrived and enveloped the joyful tearful teenager.

It was exactly what Jenny needed after the rejection and hatred her grandparents had shown. The unconditional love of her friends, boyfriend and the adults restored her shaken self worth.

Of course any conversation during the impromptu hugfest had been impossible since the six beagles were baying incessantly as they attempted to break free from the back of the Escape to rescue their recently reunited mistress from those who were attacking her.

“You better step back and smile,” Jenny smiled as she urged everyone to back away from the SUV. “These are my beagles.” With that she stepped to the passenger rear door.

The dogs grew excited to see her approach knowing they were about to be let out. “Settle down,” Jenny ordered. “I need to put your leashes on before I let you out.”

To the surprise of the onlookers while their tails were wagging excitedly the dogs stopped barking and expectantly sat on their haunches. With that she opened the door. One by one she snapped a leash on each dog, receiving a doggy kiss from each. “Alright, you will behave as I let you out,” Jenny ordered. “Now, one at a time as I call your names. Snoopy... Spike... Andy... Olaf... Marbles... Belle.” With each name announced, the appropriate dog leapt from the SUV to stand by the vehicle, each inquisitively looking over those who had gathered to greet their mistress.

“Sam, Krista, Tony, Jazz and Jimmy, will each of you take a leash then kneel in front of the dog to let them get to know you,” Jenny said. “Then we can walk them about the yard to let them check out their new home.”

Once they dogs accepted their handler each excitedly strained against the leashes almost pulling the teens off their feet as they investigated their new home. The adults, Holly and Ivy laughed as they watched the eager beagles explore. With the twilight deepening the teens snapped the leashes to the wash line then offloaded the dog food and grooming tools into the enclosed rear porch. Jamie filled the water trough they took from the kennel as Jenny filled the food dishes. The dogs were then brought inside promptly going to their food and water. Jamie locked the porch screen door then led everyone into the house just as Leroy dropped off Ruth.

*****

With dogged determination Kevin had the twins adoption scheduled for Friday afternoon. An internet feed to the Christina Melton Crain Unit of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice was up and Callie Warren was sitting at a table with a guard standing a few feet behind her. Susan, Sonny, Rayne, Kylie, Larry, and a dozen other Clan Wells Point members were in the Talbot County Courtroom in Easton with Judge Watkins. Judge Watkins announced the agenda then asked Susan to identify her grandchildren and daughter. Callie was then asked if she was fully aware that she was giving up all parental rights to her children.

“Yes I do,” Callie bravely answered as she struggled to hold back her tears. “I love Sonny and Rayne enough to give them to two people I’ve known most of my life. They’re both good people and I couldn’t ask for a better couple to raise my babies. I’ve messed up big time and accept my punishment. I want my babies to have a better life.”

“Very well, since no one here has any objections I hereby declare Kylie and Larry Scott to be the parents of Sonny and Rayne Warren. I also authorize that they be hereafter known as Sonny and Rayne Scott,” Judge Watkins ordered. “Before we close the link, Kylie and Larry would like to say a few words.”

“Callie, Larry and I will keep you in our prayers,” Kylie promised as she and Larry each cuddled a baby. “Copies of the adoption paperwork will be forwarded to you with our address. We’d like to keep in touch with you so we can keep you updated on the children’s progress. You’ve given us the gift of parenthood and for that you have our eternal gratitude. Sonny and Rayne will know they’re adopted and that you are their birth mother. When you are released, you’re more than welcome to come see them. If you need help making arrangements to come back here we’ll help. Just remember you’ll always have a home here. We will be Sonny’s and Rayne’s parents but we will not cut you out of their lives.”

Callie smiled as she fought back tears of gratitude. “Thank you,” she sobbed. “Please give Sonny and Rayne a hug and kiss for me.”

“We’ll do that every night,” Kylie promised. “Just make sure you behave so you can get out early and come home.”

Callie totally lost it at that point only able to nod her head in promise and gratitude as the connection was cut.

With the official court business over, Judge Watkins came down from the bench to kiss the babies and hug the new parents. Then she gave Susan a warm hug. “Susan, I’ve sent a request to Amanda Frost, an assistant attorney general for Maryland, requesting her assistance to work with the Texas Attorney General to see if we can do anything to get Callie’s sentence altered. Ideally we’d like to get her reassigned to a work release program and have administration of the program done in Maryland. The Clan Wells Point has agreed to pay all the costs of the transfer and the administration of the work release program. Since the Clan already administers two people on work release within the Clan, we’re hoping Callie can be the third. Unfortunately, that will take time.”

“I understand,” Susan smiled wearily. “This body only has a week or two left in it. Just knowing that the Clan is working to bring Callie home does my heart good. I have every confidence she’s learned a very bitter lesson and will thrive under the love of the Clan.”

Judge Watkins smiled and nodded her agreement as they both looked at Kylie and Larry adoring Sonny and Rayne.

The Judge also signed off on Kevin’s plan to have Callie temporarily return for her mother’s funeral. The Clan Wells Point offered to pay all the travel expenses for the bereavement furlough including the salary for two Texas deputies to provide round trip escort services. With the signature of the judge and the offer to cover all expenses the Texas Department of Criminal Justice agreed to furlough Callie and provide the deputies.

After the adoption was finalized, Susan had a quick meeting with Kevin, Jane, and Robert to sign the official paperwork to join the CWP. The three clan leaders then headed to the hospital for the final meeting with Rachel and Theo to join the CWP. Previous discussions had established the parameters of the contract which guaranteed the Jablonski’s would have full CWP membership. The CWP had already voted to accept the Jablonski’s as full members of the CWP as soon as the contract was signed and notarized. There were now seventy CWP members.

*****

Friday was also a momentous day for Sam, Mary Ann, and Gilligan Evans. While the adoption of the twins was proceeding, they were with Dr. Sykes in her Bay Hundred Health Center office. Dr. Sykes was going over the ramifications of Sam beginning HRT. The family was well aware of the consequences and had agreed to Dr. Sykes requirement this session be filmed.

“Now that all the legalities are done,” Dr. Sykes declared. “I need to know if you’re ready to proceed with the HRT therapy?”

Mary Ann and Gilligan looked at Sam who sat nervously between them. “Sam, we love you unconditionally,” Mary Ann stated seriously. “We always will. Whether you’re our daughter or our son, we whole heartedly support you. This is YOUR decision.”

“Thanks,” Sam smiled nervously. “I really appreciate your support. This is something I MUST do. I tried but I’ve never been your daughter. I had never been happy with myself until I started living as the boy I am. The HRT will help me grow into becoming the man I need to be. I’ll admit I’m scared, but I have no doubts I need to begin HRT.”

“I’ll need your signatures on the paperwork signifying you’ve been appropriately counseled and understand the consequences of beginning HRT,” Dr. Sykes placed a multi-page document before them. “While you read and sign at the appropriate places, I’ll prepare the initial injection of testosterone and give you prescriptions for the pills. I’ll need weekly blood tests to monitor your testosterone levels until we reach a suitable level of stability. Then we’ll keep testing monthly for a year.”

The Evans family signed the documents. Dr. Sykes made sure the signatures were properly done, then gave Sam her first shot of boy juice. Hugs and congratulations were shared. Sam led HIS family outside with a spring in HIS step and a broad smile on HIS face.

*****

Saturday June 21 was hectic. It was the day the new cattle arrived. It had taken several weeks to prepare for the increase. With the exception of the wetlands and forests, all the farm land west of the O’Brien homestead, south of Long Cove, east of the Bozman-Neavitt Road and north of Balls Creek was converted to pasture. The existing pastures had been enclosed by triple plank rail pressure treated wood fence stained white. The former fields were converted to pasture by planting a mixture of grass and clover. They were then enclosed with three plank rail pressure treated wood fence painted white to match the preexisting pastures. The expanded pasture would accommodate the hundred and fifty dairy cows, sixty five steers and the up to thirty horses of the CWP Horse Rescue program.

Every available person was on hand. At 10:00am the first semi tractor trailer made the turn from Dougherty Lane onto Johns Cove Lane heading north and stopped. A pair of wooden road barricades were set across Dougherty Lane. One adult and three of the under eleven year olds were stationed on the back side to shoo the cattle south. The fifty dairy cows were herded off the cattle trailer and guided south on Johns Cove Lane. One adult and four teens herded them down the road. Since the sides of the road were already fenced due to the adjacent fields there was little difficulty moving the cows. At the farm complex, cars and trucks had been parked front to back from the fences to create a steel path to guide the cows into the newly enlarged dairy barn. Other adults and teens guided the cows to food and water. Another semi load arrived fifteen minute later until all one hundred new dairy cows were in their new home. The Clan Wells Point dairy herd had increased to one hundred fifty head. The third semi load carried steers and they were herded directly into the pasture on the south side of Dougherty Road creating a steer herd of sixty five head.

It took most of the following week to work the new dairy cows into the farm routine. Every day at 6:30am and 4:30pm the cows were milked in the twin milking parlor. While only three workers were needed, one adult crew chief and two teen or adult helpers, twelve people were trained so the chore could be switched off and illnesses covered. The cattle were rotated to various fields with the maximum walking time between the barn and the pasture being twenty minutes. The lanes were used as cattle paths with portable wooden barricades directing the cattle to the selected fields. Five small 80cc motorcycles rated at 2.5HP with a top speed of 23MPH were purchased for the teens to herd cattle or horses. The bikes were stripped down basic units with the engine mounted on a tubular steel frame with fenders over the 14.5"x7.6" tires. The units were 36.5" long with a seat height of 23" and carried a max rider weight of 150 pounds. The bikes were quite durable and easy to maintain and repair.

*****

At the same time the CWP had to accommodate farming the newly acquired Jablonski farm. The smaller two hundred twenty five acre farm provided replacement planting acreage for that lost to the enlarged grazing areas. In the nineteen fifties two lots along the Bozman-Neavitt Road were cut from the fields for Theo and his sister to build homes. The farm retained ownership. After Theo’s sister moved her place was rented. After the death of his father, Theo moved back into farmhouse to work the farm and take care of his mother. The place he vacated was then rented. Currently, only the northern lot was rented. Robert and Dr. Olsen checked out the Jablonski farmhouse to see what was needed to remodel the first floor to accommodate Theo’s disabilities. The second floor would be remodeled for a rental apartment. As soon as plans could be drawn up the remodeling would begin.

Also on the same day the CWP Youth Rehab Hostel received it’s first non CWP patient, a sixteen year old girl who suffered brain damage due to the removal of a brain tumor. The non clinical setting coupled with daily peer interaction allowed a steady and rapid recovery. The Memorial Hospital at Easton, Shore Health System, University of Maryland Medical System which housed the Requard Rehab Center for Acute Rehabilitation was delighted with the results. Two more needy teens soon arrived. After that, the CWP Youth Rehab Hostel had a steady flow of patients keeping it’s three beds filled. There was a waiting list of teens so as soon as one was released another arrived.

*****

Wednesday June 25 the entire Clan gathered to celebrate Krista’s 14th birthday. Gifts were kept to a minimum but the love shared for the energetic and feisty girl was most certainly not curtailed. Krista was quite embarrassed as everyone acknowledged that she was the heart and soul of the Clan Wells Point and that without her spunk and enthusiasm they would not have come together.

*****

Susan Warren’s last few days were rough and painful. Everyone could tell her end was rapidly approaching. Two or three women were nearby each day and every evening members of the Clan stopped by the farmhouse to chat with her. She faced her end with bravery and a smile. Refusing false platitudes, she steadfastly admitted she was slipping away. She insisted she had no regrets and had every confidence Sonny and Rayne had the best parents and that the Clan would see they were brought up in love and hope. She admitted she’d spoken to Carol who assured her she’d assist in her graduation and that everything would be fine. No doubts existed in her mind the Clan would do all they could to bring Callie home and help her begin a new and productive life. Her sole request was that her ashes be spread on Wells Point. Everyone admired her attitude and had no doubt the ghostly Carol had reassured her.

Near 4:00am on June 30, Susan Warren was awakened by a cool ocean breeze. Opening her eyes she saw a smiling Carol O’Brien standing at the side of her bed holding out her hand. Susan understood. Her pain, weakness and fatigue were gone. Returning Carol’s smile, she placed her hand in Carol’s as her spiritual body rose from her now stilled earthly body. Silently they walked through the doors to the bedroom where Sonny and Rayne slept. Lovingly she kissed them farewell. The two apparitions then floated through the wall to soar into the sky on a heavenly journey.

Shortly after dawn Evelyn discovered Susan had passed away. She shivered a bit upon seeing the wet floor, then went to rouse the rest of the family. Evelyn, Rachel, Tony, Larry and Kylie hurried to the bedroom to gaze not only at Susan’s smiling still emaciated form, but also the puddle of seawater with bits of seaweed in it beside the bed. Two sets of wet seaweed strewn footprints led from the bed into the babies room. Tony took video of the ghostly evidence and placed some of the water and seaweed bits in an emptied baby food jar.

Calls were made throughout the Clan. By the time the coroner arrived, nearly the entire Clan was silently gathered outside the home. The coroner was puzzled to see they were smiling not understanding they knew Susan was in good hands since Carol had come to take her home. Krista, Lyndi, and Teri were crying tears of joy knowing their mother was still watching over them and had heard Krista’s prayer.

In Texas Callie was having another restless night. The guilt she felt for her bad choices ate at her. Hurting her mother by running away and hooking up with Dusty who committed the robbery/murder that sent her to jail. Both were stupid immature actions. The only good thing was the twins. The fact her mom took the twins even as she was dying was an undeserved bittersweet relief. Kylie and Larry adopting the twins was a blessing. But her helplessness to ease her mother’s dying days really ate at her. About 3:00am a dream interrupted her nightmares. In the dream her mother appeared in her cell and climbed into her bunk and hugged her just like she did when she was small, whimpering and frightened by thunder storms. Immediately the months of fatigue, worries, and guilt melted away. She slept soundly the rest of the night.

The authorities in Texas were notified of Susan’s death at 7:00am their time. The arrangements made for the emergency bereavement furlough to bring Callie home for the funeral were set into motion.

Callie awoke feeling better than she had in months. The dream visit from her mother had rallied her spirit and restored a bit of hope. Her cellmate was puzzled by Callie’s upbeat demeanor. The inmates of Callie’s cell block were in the cafeteria finishing breakfast when the prison chaplain entered. Everyone knew someone was about to receive bad news. All hoped it was someone else.

Callie suddenly understood her dream. Her mother had died yet even in her cancer ravaged death she had stopped by to give her one last hug. She stood and slowly headed for the chaplain. Tears flowed down her face before the words were spoken. The rest of the women knew Callie’s mom had been in bad shape. Somberly they bussed their trays and left the room as the chaplain comforted Callie.

Callie was shocked when a guard arrived to escort her to a small conference room. Inside a deputy warden waited.

“Your mother had good friends,” the deputy warden said. “They’ve arranged a bereavement furlough for you to fly home for the funeral and then back. They’re picking up the cost of the flights and all costs for two deputies to accompany you. We’ll provide you with civilian clothes for three days. You’ll be flying from Dallas to DC this afternoon. You and the deputies will be staying at the Clan Wells Point B&B in Neavitt. You’ll be flying back here the day after the burial.”

Callie was heartbroken that her mother was gone but glad her suffering was over. Biting her lips to keep from sobbing openly tears flowed down her cheeks as she nodded her gratitude.

A pair of female deputies escorted Callie to Dallas/Fort Worth Airport into Dulles Airport in DC. Leroy met them wearing his deputy uniform and driving a sheriff’s cruiser. The one hundred twenty mile trip took nearly three hours. As they set out one of the deputies stated it was extremely unusual for out of state bereavement furloughs to be granted and wondered how the family had arranged it.

“Before I explain I need to ask Callie if she’s okay with sharing a bit of her history,” Leroy stated.

“You mean my babies,” Callie asked.

“Yes,” Leroy replied.

That surprised the Texas deputies

“It’s okay,” Callie sighed. “Do you think I can see them while I’m here?”

“I can guarantee it,” Leroy smiled. “Tell the deputies about your babies and your mother.”

Callie explained about her pregnancy and that her mother took the babies from the prison. She also explained about the advanced cancer. The deputies were stunned by the fact the babies were adopted by a transsexual mother and her husband.

Both deputies shook their heads and one asked, “Do you really think it’s safe to have your babies raised by one of those freaks?”

“Obviously you’ve never had an honest interaction with a transsexual. Sonny and Rayne couldn’t have better parents,” Leroy declared before Callie could respond. “My younger brother Larry is their new father. Their mother Kylie had the misfortune to be born with the wrong genitals but that’s was corrected before they married. That makes me one of the babies’ uncles. I also have a daughter who just turned fourteen who was also born with the wrong genitals. She’s the feistiest girl you’ll ever meet. Last year her mother died, they were living in Cape Cod at the time. Over a six week period Krista led her nine year old twin sisters on foot from there to her grandmother in Neavitt Maryland.”

“I think I heard of something about that on the news,” a deputy said. “Wasn’t she involved with a murderer and some sort of scandal?”

“Yes,” Leroy answered and proceeded too explain about the kidnaping by the escaped prisoner and by then triple murderer, the desperate intentional crash and the fatal self defense struggle. Then he explained how Krista blew the lid off the Apple Tree Quality Healthcare Systems scandal, then led her cheerleading squad to repeatedly cheer MICKEY to bring Jasmine out of her coma. “Then there’s the dozens of other local people she’s helped since her arrival. Four boys were in a bad car crash, two with limbs amputated. They’re well on the road to recovery at a Youth Rehab Hostel she was instrumental in setting up. Krista was also responsible for saving Kylie when she tried to take her life last summer. Those of us most effected by Krista have gotten together, at her urging, to form The Clan Wells Point. So far we have seventy one members including Sonny and Rayne, well with Susan’s death we’re back to seventy members. You’ll being staying in one of our B&Bs. Callie, your mother only returned to her home after she brought Sonny and Rayne to us to gather personal belongings. The Clan provided hospice care and she stayed in the same house with the new parents and Kylie’s mom, aunt and cousin. She was with the babies every day and passed there in her sleep. We all knew your mom’s time was short so when we accepted the offer for adoption, the Clan set the wheels in motion to get you furloughed for her funeral.”

Callie and the deputies were stunned by the revelation. They asked questions about the Clan Wells Point for the rest of the trip. The growth and cohesiveness of the group as well as the businesses they absorbed or established seemed mind boggling.

When they arrived at Wells Point they headed to the main farmhouse for supper with the gathered Clan. Callie cried as for the first time she was able to hold and cuddle Sonny and Rayne. The Texan deputies were also welcomed with open arms. When they met Kylie they began to understand their prejudice against transgender people was wrong. That was driven home when they met Krista. The hearty meal went down well.

Callie sat between Kylie and Larry for the meal. It was clear to Callie and the deputies that the adopted parents were truly and irrevocably in love. Callie was amazed by Kylie as she realized the shyness and awkwardness that Kyle had exuded as a male classmate were still present but were now a natural part of her inherent femininity. In hindsight looking back in her memories of Kyle it was quite evident he’d been a transsexual. What was even more convincing was that Kylie was so natural as Sonny and Rayne’s doting mom. Of course Larry was just as natural being their proud dad. Any lingering doubts Callie harbored about Kylie and Larry being suitable parents disappeared.

After the meal funeral arrangements were discussed. Callie had no desire to see the empty husk her mom had inhabited when she died instead preferring to remember her as the vibrant mother she once knew. Once that was decided, a phone call to the funeral home was all that was needed to proceed with the cremation. The deputies were amazed by the casual interaction and obvious caring the Clan members openly displayed. Settling into the CWP B&B for the night, the exhausted visitors had no problem falling asleep.

In the morning they enjoyed a pleasant breakfast in the B&B. Then they returned to the main farmhouse. The deputies again sat and watched the interaction of their charge and the Clan members. Callie helped feed the twins as they discussed Susan’s passing with Kylie, Evelyn and Rachel. Jane, Krista and Jasmine joined them. Callie fondly remembered her mother as a strong vital woman and voiced her sincere regrets for the anguish she had caused. The woman she’d seen when she gave up the twins was worn and tired.

After lunch, Tony set up his computer as Krista began to speak. “My mother ran away from home when she discovered she was pregnant with me. Our life wasn’t easy but we got by on our love until she was stricken with cancer and was dying. She was too weak to travel and we were so poor we spent the winter in an unheated beachfront cabin. Her last night she made my sisters promise to listen to me, then she told me to take care of my sisters. That night, wearing her nightgown she stumbled from the cabin and staggered into the surf. I woke up but it was too late. I followed her tracks to the water’s edge. I knew she was gone and felt lost. When I returned to the cabin I found a note. She apologized but said it was the only way to keep us together. If children’s services got us we’d be split up. Inside the note was a letter from gram and fifty dollars. Gram was too poor to help us but said she’d take us in. In the morning I led my sisters as we set out on our odyssey. We tried to do small jobs to earn money so we could buy food. I thought I was a boy when we left, but no one wanted to hire a scraggly pugnacious boy. I was getting desperate so with my sisters we went into a bakery. With my long hair I was mistaken for a girl and we were given work. I’d discovered people gave us jobs when I pretended to be a girl. After that I masqueraded as girl. We walked to southern New Jersey but by then I was exhausted and sick, finally collapsing when I was almost hit by a car. The woman driver took us in and nursed me back to health, then she and her husband drove us here. They’ve since moved here and are part of our Clan. The upshot was that by the time I got here I realized I’d never really been a boy and that being a girl was right for me.”

“Another thing was that although my mother was dead, she was not gone. When I discovered my dad, he knew I was a boy but he recognized me as a girl. I don’t like to lie so when I met the rest of his family, I had to tell them I was transgender. Uncle Larry was shocked as I explained myself. Suddenly he said ‘OH SHIT’, jumped on his motorcycle and took off. Dad, Pappy and Uncle David followed him in a truck.” With that said Krista looked at Kylie.

“We’d just graduated. I had been transitioning but hadn’t told anyone. Larry was my best friend and I was hopelessly in love with him but I’d never told him. Earlier on the day Krista just spoke about I met him for lunch and confessed everything. He laughed, thought I was joking. I was devastated and ran away from him. I was in a funk all afternoon then decided to kill myself. There was an old barn we liked to play around and I decided to go there and hang myself. I took my girl clothes and changed since I wanted to die as the girl I truly was. As I was preparing to do the deed a wind began wafting through the barn... but it was closed. The breeze smelled of the ocean. Then a fog appeared and slowly coalesced into a woman, a haggard weary dead woman wearing a soggy nightgown with seaweed in her hair. She was trying to get me to stop, I could see her mouthing NO. I was spooked and hesitated quite a while but I was so depressed I finally hung myself.”

“Larry knew where Kylie would go,” Krista continued. “He roared to the barn and drove right through the doors then jumped off and lifted Kylie to take the pressure off the rope. Dad and the others got there and cut her down, revived her and called 911. While they waited they put her back into her boy clothes. All four saw the saltwater puddle and the seaweed.”

“Although I hadn’t met Krista at that point, she visited me the next day in the hospital,” Kylie picked up. “I recognized her. She looked like a younger healthy version of the ghost who tried to stop me. The ghost had been Krista’s dead mother.” Kylie looked at Jasmine.

“I’d been raped my foster father, then he choked me putting me in a coma,” Jasmine began. “I ended up in a nursing home for over two years but they were ripping off insurances and government reimbursements. I was near death curled in a fetal position when they found me. They found me because of Krista.”

“While we were on our Odyssey, we met a couple, retired teachers, in Mystic, Connecticut,” Krista said. “They knew we were homeless and avoiding children’s services because they’d split us apart. They told us they retired after reporting a family to children’s service. By law they as teachers had to report what they saw. Children’s services put the three girls in separate homes. The oldest girl was raped and in a coma. Since the investigation was botched the man got off free. The distraught mother killed the man and was sent to jail. The guilt ridden couple retired and were traveling trying to forget what happened. Their story stuck with me. A few months after I’d started school here I was at a football game with my brothers, my sisters and I were cheerleaders. My boyfriend, Tony here, and I took a walk and heard a girl crying in the bushes. We talked her out and discovered she’d been raped by her mother’s boyfriend. She was six. The mother and boyfriend were arrested. The guy was killed in jail. The mother sent to jail. My family adopted the girl, Sandi is my sister now. But what happened to her reminded me about the family we were told about by the teachers.”

“A couple of my classmates are computer whizzes,” Krista continued. “I asked them to find out what they could about the family. We turned over what we found to the authorities. That led to the Apple Tree Quality Healthcare Systems scandal. They found Jasmine and we managed to get her placed in a local rehab hospital. I was upset when I first saw Jaz all curled up,” Krista said. “The doctors didn’t know if she’d ever wake up. I was so upset I couldn’t sleep. Somewhere after 1:00am I got up and walked down to the cemetery at the end of Wells Point where my mom is buried. I asked her to help Jaz and she did.”

“With everything we discovered the courts had totally messed up in handling Jasmine’s family,” Krista continued. “We were able to get her mom released, got her sisters and brought them here. When Jaz heard their voices she responded, but just. Her sisters came with us to another football game and my cheer squad happened to be doing MICKEY. Her sisters said that was Jaz’s favorite when she’d done cheering. We talked the squad into going to the hospital and they brought Jaz out in her bed. We cheered and cheered. Each time she responded more until she finally woke up.”

“What she hasn’t said was that I was dying when they found me,” Jaz added softly. “I was lost, barely an ember of myself, lost in a foggy nothingness and fading. A loving voice brought me back and urged me to save myself. The voice kept urging me on and sang my mom’s favorite song, ‘Summer Breeze’. She named me Jasmine because of that song. The voice kept urging me on and singing. It seemed to take forever. I was climbing through a tunnel heading for a light at the end when I heard my mom and sisters. I got excited and tried harder. But the tunnel got steeper and I couldn’t go any further. Then I felt and smelled an ocean breeze and the voice materialized into a haggard weary woman in a wet nightgown with seaweed in her hair. She took my hand and pulled me along. It energized me when I heard Krista and the cheerleaders singing MICKEY. I was able to climb out of the tunnel. That’s when I woke up. When I saw Krista I realized she looked a lot like the angel that brought me out.”

Callie and the deputies weren’t sure how to take what they’d heard. It sounded bizarre and a bit spooky. A ghost who saved people.

“Callie, the reason we’re telling you this is I asked my mom to help your mother, to make her end easier,” Krista explained.

“Yesterday when we found your mom had passed she had a smile on her face,” Tony added. “I took some video, but not of your mom. You need to see this.”

Tony brought up the video on the computer. They saw the seaweed strewn puddle on the floor by the bed and the dual wet footprints walking into Sonny and Rayne’s bedroom by their cribs. Then he gave Callie the small jar with the water and seaweed he’d collected.

“Carol was there to collect your mom,” Kylie declared. “Then she escorted her to say goodbye to the twins before she took her spirit away.”

Callie smiled and nodded her head as tears flowed down her cheeks. “Mom visited me after she passed. I haven’t slept well since I was arrested, nightmares every night. What I thought was a dream was real! She came to me in the cell, then climbed into my bunk to hug me just like she did when I was a young kid scared of a thunderstorm. She chased away the nightmares.”

The deputies had tears in their eyes. They desperately wanted to believe what they were told was the truth.

Rev. Giles arrived to finalize arrangements for the funeral. Callie had no issues with her mother’s request that her ashes be scattered on Wells Point. It was decided a brief memorial service would be held in the church the next morning. One phone call set up the phone tree for the entire Clan and had the teens calling all of Susan’s friends and distant relatives to tell of the arrangements. They were also informed that as soon as the memorial service was completed, everyone would be invited to Wells Point for a picnic with games and the scattering of ashes so wearing casual clothing and shoes was expected. Again Callie and the deputies were amazed. They’d never considered a funeral or memorial service to be a celebration. Rev. Giles smiled and explained it was a celebration of Susan’s life and her graduation to the afterlife.

Kylie slipped out unnoticed as the planning wound up. Minutes later they all heard the rumble of a powerful motor. Everyone stepped onto the porch. The deputies and Callie were surprised to behold the pink and green tartan paint job on the DUKW. In a few moments they were seated inside the DUKW and spent the rest of the afternoon touring the Clan Wells Point. Callie and the deputies were amazed by all they saw and the obvious caring and concern of the people. The CWP Youth Rehab Hostel really impressed them. They joined Kylie, Larry, Evelyn, Rachel and Tony for supper in the main farmhouse. Quite naturally the twins were cuddled and adored.

The next morning Callie and the deputies joined the Clan and other parishioners in the memorial service at St. Luke’s UMC Church. Quite a few of Susan’s friends and a few distant relatives attended. Rev. Giles announced that all were invited to attend the picnic and ash scattering celebration on Wells Point which immediately followed that Service.

The memorial service was anything but somber. Many stories of Susan’s life were fondly recounted when those attending were asked if they had anything they’d like to share. Callie was brought to tears by many of the tales. As the last person spoke, Krista sidled up to Callie.

“Now’s your chance,” Krista urged. “A lot of people know bits and pieces about you and feel you were a disappointment to your mom. Tell them your story.”

“My story is failure and disappointment,” Callie sniffed. “I’d be too embarrassed.”

“Okay,” Krista nodded to Callie. Then she walked to the microphone to speak. “I’m Krista Scott. I only knew Susan for the last sixteen days of her life. Even as she was dying, she did what she could for her family. While those of you not familiar with the Clan Wells Point may not believe this, my late mother Carol has become the Clan’s guardian Angel. She was dying from cancer and drowned in the ocean so my sisters and I wouldn’t be placed in foster homes. By dying as she did gave us a chance to get away to come here. Since then she’s made several appearances to Clan members leaving salt water and bits of seaweed behind. Susan had told us she’d spoken to Carol in a dream who assured her when it was her time she’d come for her. The morning she passed we found two sets of wet footprints with bits of seaweed leading from Susan’s bed to the twin’s bedroom.”

“Knowing the Clan Wells Point would look after her family Susan spent her last days content,” Krista said. “Most of you know her daughter Callie ran away last year. Susan never stopped loving Callie. She knew Callie would do things she’d regret but had faith in her daughter to eventually see the error of her ways and do the right thing. I’m here to tell you Susan was right about her daughter. You might have heard tales of how Callie got mixed up in some bad business, how the guy she was with murdered a man while robbing him. How she was arrested as an accomplice and is serving a long prison term in Texas. That’s only part of the story.”

“Callie was pregnant when the robbery and murder happened,” Krista continued. “She didn’t know what the guy was planning. All she’d been told was to drive him to a business deal at some guy’s home. When he ‘completed’ the deal, he came out and Callie drove away. She only learned what had happened when they were arrested the next day and it devastated her. She was charged as an accessory to murder and armed robbery. Her public defender did an extremely poor job. Even though she was innocent of any knowledge of the crime, she admitted she had driven the perpetrator to and from the crime scene and was sentenced as a criminal instead of an innocent dupe. It turned out she was pregnant with twins and that the State of Texas would take the babies and put them into foster care unless Callie had family to take them. Callie did the right thing by calling her mother to get the twins. Even though Susan was terminally ill with cancer she flew to Texas. It was only when Callie saw her that she realized how sick her mom was.”

“Not wanting to burden her mother Callie apologized and said she’d let the state take custody of the twins,” Krista explained. “Susan insisted she’d take the twins and promised to find suitable foster parents for them so Callie relented. Unfortunately the trip and taking care of the newborn twins took a lot out of Susan. It took everything she had just to take care of the babies. She had no time to search out foster parents. Then the answer to her prayers came from this church. My uncle Larry Scott married Kylie Masters. The bridal party procession from this church to the reception was done in my great great grandfather’s DUKW which Kylie restored. After going through town the DUKW entered St. Michael’s harbor and sailed around the Bay Hundred peninsula to the Clan Wells Point where the reception was held. Since the Antique and Classic Boat Festival was going on, the DUKW fit right in and the wedding and processional was broadcast as part of the coverage.”

“Susan saw the broadcast of the wedding and knew she’d found the perfect foster parents,” Krista went on. “She knew Larry and Kylie since they had been classmates with Callie and knew they were good people. She also knew Kylie could never give birth since just like me she’s transgender. Susan placed an emergency call to Texas to talk to Callie. Callie was initially surprised to learn Kylie had made the transition to female having only known her as Kyle. However with what she knew about Kyle the transition explained a lot of things about why Kyle was always so different. She also knew Kyle and Larry had been best friends. So after a bit of thought she approved of having them become the twins’ parents. Susan loaded the twins in her car and headed out to Wells Point to crash the reception. She told us she had the most wonderful wedding present for Kylie and Larry and explained what had happened to Callie, then she passed out from exhaustion.”

“For those of you who don’t know, Larry and Kylie, and their adopted twins Sonny and Rayne, are part of the seventy member strong Clan Wells Point,” Krista declared. “We are a loving and caring self created Clan who help each other as well as outsiders. Once Susan came to us she never left our embracing arms and the Clan accepted her as a member. We put her up in the same home Kylie and Larry shared with Kylie’s mom, aunt, and cousin along with the twins. The Clan provided hospice looking after her all her needs and soothing her last days. She saw and held her grandchildren every day. She saw the love and devotion Kylie and Larry gave the twins. Last week when the adoption of the twins was completed, Callie witnessed it via an internet feed and voiced her approval when asked. Kylie told Callie the twins would know their birth mother, that Callie would be kept informed of their progress and that when she was released she’d find a welcome home with the Clan.”

“As you can see from what I’ve said, Susan never lost faith in Callie,” Krista summarized. “Callie made some mistakes but other than smoking pot never knowingly did anything illegal. She owned up to her mistakes and took looking after the twins seriously and responsibility. Callie is here today on bereavement furlough missing her mother and has seen first hand that Sonny and Rayne are in good hands and have a bright future. What she doesn’t know is that the Clan lawyer has been in contact with a well known defense lawyer in Houston who has reviewed Callie’s arrest, trial, conviction and sentence. We and he have concluded her guilty plea and conviction was a farce since none of the evidence that Callie was an unwitting accomplice was presented. Tomorrow morning a petition will be filed to ask for a full review of the case with intention to pursue charges against the incompetent public defender, the overzealous prosecutor and the judge with gross misconduct for railroading an innocent victim. We’re hoping to have Callie’s charges dismissed or at least reduced to misdemeanor status and have her sentence reduced to time served. Callie, when you’re released a ticket to fly home to the Clan will be waiting and if you desire, you’ll become a member of the Clan Wells Point. Sonny and Rayne will remain the official children of Kylie and Larry but you’ll be welcomed to be a regular part of their lives as a beloved aunt. I have no doubts that Susan is watching us and is absolutely delighted. Long may Susan Warren’s life, love and memory be honored!”

Callie was in tears. The Texan deputies were once more astonished. Those attending not members of the Clan were surprised by the revelations.

up
168 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

This is a great story, and I

This is a great story, and I am glad that a "re-hash" of how it all started was made by Krista, Larry, and a few others. I have a slight hunch that the two deputies, when they get back, will be more than helpful to Callie regarding her sentence and time in prison, as they have seen and heard more than they normally would regarding an inmate they handle routinely.

This is what the Clan Wells Point does.

Beoca's picture

Wow. I suspect that the Clan Wells Point has gained two new allies in the Texas law enforcement, in addition to six new beagles. Susan Warren may have died, but her self-sacrifice has given a new life to both her daughter and grandchildren. The Clan keeps its guardian angels busy, so it's not like her afterlife will be dull.

Jenny's coldheartedness disturbs me somewhat. It's entirely merited, but it can't be good for her psychologically. She'll put on a unemotional front after things settle down at , but it won't be real. Hopefully she'll be alright in the long term, though.

Lastly, congrats to Sam!

Actually

NoraAdrienne's picture

I think those deputies are going to be looking for work with the county or township where the clan lives.

so difficult

Alecia Snowfall's picture

so very difficult to read these chapters without tears Jen. I await the next kleenex mandatory chapter.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Restore

I've gone back to 1-1 and am reading forward. I'm about to start 1-13 and I'm enjoying getting to know Krista and the rest all over again. Don't know when I'll get to this point, but I'm going to save the new chapters until then. Just keep writing them! Krista is a treasure!


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Beagles

Are great dogs. Friendly, energetic, smart, and loyal. We had one, and while Mitsy was never trained to the degree Jenny's are, she was sharp as a tack and knew exactly what she was doing. She knew just who to turn those soulful eyes on, who was the soft touch that would slip her scraps or rub her stomach. A large fenced yard, preferably with a few trees, good food and love, and they will return it to you ten-fold. Uh, they dig. They love to dig!

BTW: If you brought up on charges all the DAs and judges in Texas that were guilty of misconduct, there wouldn't be many left. Oklahoma isn't any better.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin