My Safe Place - Chapter 9

Printer-friendly version


Chapter 9

Waking up to my new bedroom was still strange to me. I wasn't use to a big room. I stare up at the ceiling wondering what today was going to be like. How will I act like today, compared to yesterday?

I sit up and look around the room. The clock on my nightstand said it was 7:36 why did I wake up this early? Ashley was still sleeping in bed, she looked so cute. I would never have guessed she was transgender, like me. Today was Saturday, so she didn't have to wake up for school. Talking about school, I wonder when I will be going to my new school?

I stretch my arms, yawn, hop out of bed and head towards the bathroom. Trying to keep it quiet, so I didn't wake Ashley up. I would feel terrible, if I woke her from a beautiful slumber. I smile, as I walk passed her. I could hear her softly breath. It was so cute.

As I used the bathroom, I noticed that the sun was just waking up as well. I couldn't see it, but it was making the ocean view outside look pretty. From this window, I could see the sunset over the horizon of the ocean. While I was sitting, and looked outside at the water. I saw many seagulls flying around. It reminded me of the ones from Finding Nemo. 'Mine, mine, mine, mine, mine' I was giggling while thinking of it.

I left the bathroom and was about to leave the bedroom, but to my surprise, Ashley jumped at me and gave me a big kiss on the lips. Yo would be surprised too. For some reason, I liked it, but I just wasn't ready for it.

“Sorry, I really wanted to kiss you ever since we first met.” She apologized.

“That's okay, but next time please ask me.” I shrugged.

It was 7:43 and according to Ashley, on a weekend breakfast was at 8, so we ran downstairs to eat.

Kim, the morning cook was making us omelets. She was a bit cranky. I guess it was because she had to wake up early to get here. With the omelets, we could choose our own toppings to put in it. I chose olives, onions, green peppers, mushrooms and of course cheese. There was ham, but I am allergic to pork products, so I had to eat the veggies.

“You know that olives and green peppers are fruits, don't you?” Ashley asked me. I didn't know that. I guess I learn something every day.

A few more people came into the room and got an omelet. Micheal, is a fifteen year old. He is very nice. I thought he was cute, but he wasn't interested in me. He liked boys. Julie a girl about my age came into the room. She likes both boys and girls. She thinks I am adorable. Well, she thinks that both me and Ashley are adorable. She is twelve. I kind of wish that All three of us had a room together. We could have so much fun.

There was this one boy that sits all by himself at a table. He doesn't want anyone to sit with him. I'm not sure why. I call him Bob, even though I don't know his name. I could ask, but every time someone trys to get near him, he leaves the room. Ashley has tried as well.

After breakfast, as I was putting my dish away, Nikki came into the room.

“Want to go shopping now?” She asked.

I looked over at Ashley “Can she come too?”

“Can I?” Ashley cried, jumping up and down. “I can help her find the most cutest clothes.”

“Why not,” Nikki chuckled. Ashley and I giggled. We both went to our room to get ready to go. Ashley let me borrow one of her dresses and a pair of leggins. I was a bit worried. I never wore one in public, except when I was at school or heading home from it. We grabbed a coat. It was cold outside. Of course, there was no snow on the ground, but it was a bit chilly, almost forty-four degrees.

As we got to the car, David, gets out of his and walks up to greet us. I wonder where he stays during the night? Does he sleep in his car or does he leave and come back early in the morning?

Seeing him, made me think of dad. I wonder where he is? He has no home to go to, since he burned it down. I wonder if he knows where I am, or if he really cares.

Us children sit in the back of the car, while Nikki and David sat up front. It didn't take long for use to get to the Walmart. We were chatting a storm in the back seat.

“Wow! You two are a bit talkative today.” David said looking back at us.

We both giggled.

“Aren't all little girls talkative?” Nikki laughed. “I was when at their age.

When we got out of the car, we were told to stay together and not run off.

As we walked into the building, we saw a poster that was advertising a movie. I wasn't very interested in it, but Ashley was. She was so excited. “Another Harry Potter movie is coming out?” I wasn't surprised.

“The author, did write five books.” Ashley told me “And right now, I heard she might write another.”

“What is Azkaban?”

“Haven't you read the book?” Ashley looked away from the poster and at me.

“No, my dad never let me read or watch the movies. He always said that witches and magic was from the devil himself.” I looked at Ashley. “What? Why are you staring at me like that?” She had her mouth open like she was very surprised.

“Azkaban is a really prison on an island in the middle of the Sea.”

“So, kind of like Alcatraz.” I smiled.

“Yes, but Alcatraz isn't a prison anymore.” Ashley looked up at the poster again. “We've got to watch the first two movies when we get back. I want you to see this one with me when it comes out in June.”

“Come on girls,” Nikki sang.

As we went shopping, I picked out some very cute shirts. Mostly pinks and purples, but Ashley said it would be best to get other colors as well. After that, we picked out some dresses and skirts as well as shoes and socks. Also some panties, we couldn't forget panties. I wanted a bra, but I am still too young for it. Instead, I got a camisole. Ashley wears one. I'm not sure what I need it for, but I think its kind of like a bra, for younger children. I might be mistaking.

As soon as we got home, she grabs me and takes me to our bedroom, where she goes to her book case and grabs a video tape and hands it to me. “This is the first Harry Potter movie. The Sorcerers Stone.”

“Why don't you get them on DVD?” I asked. Looking at the video in my hand.

“I would get DVDs, but I don't have a DVD player. They are expensive.”

“They are cheap right now.”I pointed out. “At Walmart, I saw they were about $99 or less. It's the new BluRay machines that are expensive.”

“I'll stick with the VCR. I doubt they will go out of style.”

I shook my head and looked the other way.

She turned on her TV and we started the movie. I felt a bit ashamed, while watching it. But after a while, I ignored the feeling and started enjoying the movie.

“Hermione is cute.” Ashley sighed. I had a feeling she liked girls. She did kiss me after all.

As the movie ended, we had a little time left to talk before lunch. I was lying down on my bed. She went over and sat down.

“I wish I were a girl.”

“You are a girl,” Ashley giggled.

I sat up and looked at her. “Kind of. But I have a penis.”

“So do I,” She giggled some more. “Why does it matter what you have in your pants. Your gender is between your ears and not between your legs.”

“But it's hard,” I start to cry and Ashley gives me a hug. “Can I tell you a secret?”

She nodded.

“A few years ago, I was so disgusted with having a penis, that I tried to have it removed. I used a scissors and a knife, I even tried using a rubber band, so it would fall off.”

“Ow!”

“Yeah, it was painful.” I lied down on my pillow. “There were lots of things I tried, like freezing it off with ice, but the knife and scissors were the worst things I tried.”

“I'm glad you didn't succeed.”

“Yeah,” I sighed.

The lunch bell started ringing. This made me very happy. I just wonder what they made.

As we walked out of our room, we pretended the stairs moved like in the movie. We laughed and giggled, but eventually, we made it down stairs to the dining hall.

Barbara the kitchen lady, was handing out soup and sandwiches. There was ham or turkey sandwiches and for the soup, it was homemade lentil soup. I was told that Barbara was an excellent cook. She also makes dinner on the weekends. I wonder what she is planning tonight?

While we were eating, Ashley and I were saying some jokes to each other.

“What does a nosey pepper do?”

“I don't know what?” Ashley smiled, while taking a bite of her ham sandwich.

“Gets jalapeno business!” I laugh, and so does Ashley.

“Oh, oh, I got one!”Ashley squealed. “Why do fish live in salt water?”

“Um, I don't know,” I start to giggle.

“Because pepper makes them sneeze! Achoo!” We both laughed.

Just then I heard a crashing sound from outside the building. I can hear David yelling at someone, but I wasn't sure who it was. Nikki came running into the room.

“Kiara,” She looked panicked “Your father is outside, trying to break in.” I can now hear dad outside the building.

“I want my son!” Dad shouted “Give me him!”

“You can't have HER,” David was yelling “SHE belongs to the state of California now!”

I was freaking out and Barbara brought me and everyone into the kitchen and locked the door. Dad was pounding and kicking at the front door. I just hope he doesn't break in.

up
156 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

so much for lunch

Alecia Snowfall's picture

so much for lunch. Some idiots simply need to be removed from existence.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Poor Kiara just can't catch a

Poor Kiara just can't catch a break. Whenever she starts to enjoy herself something always seems to happen!

I have to wonder HOW her father found her. Something is off about the situation, and I hope that those who are supposed to protect her haven't been working against her!

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Intentional violation of a

Intentional violation of a restraining order, property damage, attempted witness tampering, looks like they can hold him without bail now.

Some guys should be better

Some guys should be better for others not being born.Prison best place for daddy

Some guys should be better

Some guys should be better for others not being born.Prison best place for daddy

It figures

Jamie Lee's picture

Knew Kiara's dad would ignore the restraining order, his type believe they're above the law.

Two kids can't even enjoy a friendly lunch without there being some drama. Drama which get one killed.

And why does Kiara's dad want him now? He tried killing her by burning down their house with Kiara locked inside. Sometimes air is wasted on the wrong people.

Others have feelings too.

Dang ...

Life is just not fair.

“I want my son!” Dad shouted “Give me him!”
“You can't have HER,” David was yelling

(Ahh, out of the frying pan.)

***

“SHE belongs to the state of California now!”

(And right into the fire.)

***

We need a reasonable option. A cure that is often worse than the disease is not reasonable. (THIS time looks to be one of the exceptions.)

Sigh,
T

Oh yeah, good story. Thanks.

PTSD

I'm remembering your saying in a previous chapter that you're finding the story you're writing kind of triggering. I appreciate that you're going ahead anyway, but I hope you're taking care of yourself. And holding fast to your "safe place."

I couldn't help thinking of the diagnosis C-PTSD. Someone recently suggested I might have it, though not as badly as Kiara would, since I wasn't as physically abused, and my therapist confirmed it, so I've been reading up on it. Kiara's history, as you recount it, could have come directly from a chapter in Judith Herman's Trauma and Recovery. And one of the first prerequisites she mentions for treatment is: providing a safe place for the victim. I hope this home will be a safe one for Kiara.

interesting

I may have to read that story. I never heard of it, but it sounds interesting. Thanks.

name.png