Heir to a Title - Chapter 18

Printer-friendly version

Heir to a Title Chapter 18

That evening as the three generations sat in the large drawing room at Denton Hall the phone rang. Callie was nearest for she was working on her laptop by the telephone table.

“Hello, Denton Hall.”

“Hello, is that the Duchess of Denton?”

“No, it’s the duke or more correctly his heir.”

There was an uncertain pause as the caller tried to assimilate the higher-pitched female voice. Callie explained.

“I’m his grandson. My grandfather died last year.”

“D’ you mean the young lady we met with the horses this afternoon?” The caller continued uncertainly.

“Who is this?” Callie responded.

“It’s Jack Tyler, the secretary of the Dales preservation society. We met by the Stone on Denton Top.”

“Yes I remember; were you wearing the green woolly bobble-hat? You’d better speak to my mother, the dowager Duchess.”

Callie took the phone to her mother and explained.

“It’s somebody called Jack Tyler.”

Ellie took the phone and pressed the amplifier button for all to hear.

“Hello Ellie Denton here.”

“Is that the older of the two riders we met at the Fall Stone today?”

“Yes.”

“Well, as I explained to your daughter, I’m the secretary of the Dales Preservation society.”

He paused as he seemed to be gathering his thoughts before continuing.

“I, - I’m sorry if this seems a bit invasive but traditionally the Duke of Denton has usually been invited to become president of the Denton Branch of the society.”

“Go on,” Ellie encouraged.

“Well we know that the future duke is still a minor and there have been rumours that the child might have gender dysphoria problems that might, at some later date, preclude her from holding the title.”

“My child does have gender dysphoria issues but we have been in contact with the Heraldic Courts and the case is being discussed at this very juncture.”

There was a noticeable sigh of relief or confusion - Ellie knew not which, - before the caller continued.

“Well the situation is this. Since the old duke died the presidency has remained empty but we wish to fill the post again and we’d love to invite the new duke but we seek clarity on the inheritance issues.”

“I don’t follow you. Surely the post is just an honorary position if it’s filled by invitation and that would imply that the occupant would have to earn the occupancy by merit. Gain the respect of others, so to speak.”

There was a longish pause before Jack Tyler tried another tack.

“Well the principle has always been that somebody of note or stature should hold the presidency to give the society some gravitas. For example, when presenting arguments forwarding the society’s points of view.”

Ellie smiled to herself as she replied.

“Well I hardly think that a thirteen-year-old boy or girl would lend gravitas to anything.”

“Uuuhm – no. I suppose you’d be quite right.”

There followed another longish pause before the man spoke again.

“Perhaps you, as the dowager duchess, might want to fill the post?”

Ellie was quick to scotch the idea.

“Oh I’m sorry, that would be almost impossible, I am fully employed with running a shipping line both from the Humber and Poole in Dorset. I commute several times monthly.”

With that Molly appeared at Ellie’s shoulder. She had been following the conversation because of the amplifier mode and she held out her hand for the phone. Ellie handed it to her.

“Hello. Jack; its Molly here, Harry’s wife.”

Ellie looked askance as she commented.

“Oh! First name terms I see.”

“We’ve known each other for years. Harry was always keen to work with the society. Preservation was dear to his heart.”

She resumed talking to Jack.

“I can act as president until my grandson is of an age. That’ll be about five years when he’s eighteen.”

“Oh Hello Molly, that would be grand. Is the boy interested in preservation?”

“Very much so, mostly fauna at present but as he matures he’ll understand the wider picture. I’m sure he’ll be keen to take up his grandfather’s duties. For now, I’ll keep his seat warm.”

“Thanks Molly. That’ll work fine. I hope to see you at the next month’s meeting.”

“Certainly, and I’ll bring the child along. Oh, another thing. I seem to be getting vibes here, so why are you suddenly so keen to fill the president’s position? It’s been sitting empty since Harry Died.”

“Haven’t you heard?” Jack replied.

“Heard what?” Molly asked.

“The governments adopted a new code of practice regarding quarrying in the National parks. It’s making it much easier to get extraction licences, especially for lime-stone. There’s a firm from London looking to move into the Denton Moor area seeking to open a new super-quarry somewhere between Denton Moor and as far north up to North-Billerton.”

“But that’s a huge area; some of our estate could be affected.”

“Yes, virtually the whole of the eastern escarpment running from the river north and that’s some of the most beautiful scenery around here.”

“Shit!” Molly cursed under her breath.

“What was that My Lady? Did I just hear a Duchess swear?”

“Yes, you damned well did Mr Tyler. Sorry, even the nobility get angry sometimes!”

“Well it’s good that you have. We’re going to need all the allies we can get.”

I’ll see you at the meeting next week Jack.” Molly confirmed and reinforcing their alliance by returning to first names.

“See you Molly, and bring that grandchild of yours, he seems a pretty genned up kid.”

“SHE seems a pretty genned up kid, Jack. Callie prefers to be identified and addressed as a female.”

“Oh. Sorry; is she going to you know- ?”

“We don’t know yet, but there’s plenty of time and steps are in place to address things.”

“Okay Molly, I’ll make a point of introducing her by the female form of address. Bye for now.”

“Bye Jack and thanks.”

As she put down the phone Molly turned to Ellie and Callie.

“It seems that we’ve got something of a fight on our hands.”

“Yes, I got the jist of it,” Ellie replied. “Will it affect the Denton estate?”

“I can’t say but we’re going to be awfully busy ascertaining exactly where they plan to quarry.”

Ellie’s sharp brain was already weighing up the issues.

“There’ll be a lot of pressure for jobs but the environmental issues could be hugely contentious.”

Molly frowned.

“I’ll wager they’ll want to extract from Crag-dale bluff. That’s a huge limestone outcrop.”

“But that’s partly on our estate close to where the three of our estates meet high on the peak.” Ellie protested.

“Yes darling,” Molly concurred, “and I’ll be speaking directly to the Arnolds and the Lumiers about it tomorrow morning. I damned certain that’ll be the first place they want to extract from. It’s just outside the border of the national park.”

At this conclusion the three made their way to bed and the very next morning as Ellie prepared to return to Hull, Molly was phoning around. When Ellie returned that evening Molly was waiting with a long face.

“Bad news I take it.” Ellie remarked after greeting her mother-in-law and daughter.

“Yes and no.” Molly replied.

“Go on.”

“I’ve been in touch with the county planners and they are prepared to grant extraction licences in certain areas. The area from Brackendale to Cragdale bluff is one of them. It’s just outside the national park. They want to quarry at the face of the crag but the county planners have put several restrictions about volumes by weight and traffic frequency.”

“But surely, if we refuse, they can’t just invade our land.”

“Well that’s just it.” Molly continued. “Terry Lumier is a bit short of cash and there are still outstanding death duties to pay on the estate since his father died. He needs the money to settle up with the revenue vultures.”

Ellie pursed her lips with annoyance.

“What about Jane Arnold?”

“Jane’s on our side. She and her husband only bought the estate last year and they are furious about this development.”

“Good. So how do we go forward?”

“By far the greatest bulk of material will come out of Terry’s land. Only about a million tons will be removed from Jane’s land because any more extraction will impinge on Bracken dale and that’s part of the SSI where the Pine Martens are believed to have been seen. About ten million tons will be will be extracted from the Denton estate and it’s on the west side of the crag so it’s invisible to everybody except walkers and hikers who make the effort to get out that way.”

Ellie studied Molly’s face and sensed the problem.”

“There’s a ‘but’ isn’t there? There’s always a 'but'.”

Molly nodded.

“Yes, the only viable approach to and from the quarry is up Bracken Dale then across our land along the old railway track bed that used to serve the original quarry.”

“You mean over the river and past our lake?” Ellie’s frown deepened.

“Not for certain.” Molly explained. “There are two viable routes, one each on either side of the dale.”

“But both will cross our land.”

“Yes,” Molly confirmed. “The easternmost road was never more than a bridle path and an old drover’s road before that. Any road on that side would have to be a new construction running between our house and the lake. It’s by far the shorter route so it would be very attractive to any quarry company. The alternative route would be the old railway bed that passes well away from the lake on the other side of the valley. It’s a much better option for our estate and Jane’s but we would see still the lorries and the dust they kick up as they take the higher road.

Apparently there would be about a hundred lorries daily for approximately ten years. At best it would have to be a double lane road, or at least a road with numerous passing places.”

“What about noise?”

“There’ll be that and white dust. Despite the new filtration systems there’s bound to be dust.”

“Let’s ride out there on Saturday and see what can be done, though I fear we’ll not have much say except in the licensing stage.”

Ellie nodded affirmation and prepared for bed. She had a busy week in Hull.

~~oo00oo~~

Saturday arrived wet and gloomy, reflecting the mood as they debated riding out. Callie’s enthusiasm for a ride to a new location was the only bright spot and she managed to cajole her mother to accompany her. Her grandmother Molly decided to stay indoors; wet weather and old rheumatic bones were not good riding companions. There was a brighter aspect for Callie though.

Jane Arnold had agreed to meet with them and she had a daughter the same age as Callie. The reason the two younger children had never met was because Jane and her husband had only recently moved in after renovations to the old farmhouse. Under grey skies that threatened rain Debbie and Callie let their horses pick their own way to the old bridle path and eventually they saw two figures huddled under a solitary Rowan tree similarly clothed in weather-proof riding coats in anticipation of the threatened rain.

“Who’s the other rider mummy?” Callie asked.

“I don’t know darling, it looks like a girl.”

Callie peered up the path and finally concluded her mother was right. The other rider was a girl and she looked about thirteen. Callie’s mood brightened and when they finally met her eyes lit up at unexpectedly meeting Jane Arnold’s daughter whom she had never even known about. The sparkle of pleasure was also reflected in Margaret’s eyes when she realised she wasn’t going to be stuck with ‘the olds’. After introductions the younger pair were soon chatting as they drifted ahead of their parents.

“So you’re the girl who lives at Denton Hall?” Margaret observed as they trotted ahead just far enough to chat privately.

Callie was reluctant to reveal her gender status so she simply confirmed the other girl’s assumption.

“Yes and you live at Cragdale Manor Farm, Callie confirmed.”

The pleasure of learning of each other’s existence quickly served to cement their new-found friendship for both girls quickly realised they had much in common with their life-style and hobbies.

“So do you only come home at term times?” Margaret asked.

Callie nodded as Margaret continued.

“What d’ you think about this quarry then? Oh, and call me Maggie, everybody at school does.”

“It looks as though the firm will get its extraction licence.” Callie replied. “The country needs the material.”

“Huh! They won’t be happy until the whole of Britain is as flat as Norfolk.”

“Amen to that,” Callie continued, “and this lovely track will become a bloody great two lane road.”

“That means they’ll have to widen it and that will involve blasting and cutting in some places.” Maggie grumbled. “There’ll be more noise and dirt as they build the road.”

At these words, Callie had a sudden thought and she questioned Maggie a little further.

“You live over on that side of the crag; where will the road come out; you know - where will it join the main Bradford road?”

“Oh I suppose it’ll join the lane to our farm or further down somewhere by Billerton. That’ll involve a winding climb over the spur at the end of the crag. They’ll have to build a completely new bit of road and it’ll improve the access to our farm. Trouble is there’ll be lorries trundling back and forth all day long. It would have to separate from this track down there because the old railway takes a different route down towards Billerton because of the terrain. It circumvents the Cragdale bluff by going through the old Billerton tunnel to Billerton Junction. That’s how the little village got its name separate from Billerton itself.”

“Why don’t they reinstall the rails and use trains? I mean it’ll be shorter to Billerton Junction and by-pass Billerton town itself.”

“Nah, that’s unlikely. Britain doesn’t build railways anymore.” Maggie mused.

Callie fell silent for she knew Maggie’s words to be flawed. She thought of several new railway projects like the ‘Cross-rail’ tunnel under London and the new ‘Waverly’ commuter line into Edinburgh; the Heathrow connection to Paddington and the Cotswolds line from Worcester to Oxford. She changed the subject but resolved to later ask her mother’s opinion.

After all, her mum must know something about the economics of transporting stuff; she helped run a shipping company.

As the drizzle finally arrived, they rode on for a further half hour just chatting about the impact of the quarry until eventually they had exhausted the subject. For a few minutes the rode in silence until Maggie’s natural curiosity led the conversation to their backgrounds. Firstly she chatted about the area and how boring it was for a teen-aged girl always seeking company amongst the remote moors and dales.

“So do you live up at Denton Hall all the time or just during hols?”

Callie could see where the conversation was going so she tried to move the conversation on.

”Oh I go down to Dorset some times and up here at others.”

“So it’s the local comp then is it?” Maggie suggested.

Callie shrugged and made a wry uninformative smile that gave little away. She was happy to let Maggie make her own assumptions even if they were erroneous.

“Do you go locally?” Callie asked.

Maggie smiled somewhat superiorly and declared proudly.

“Oh no! They’ve sent me to Cheltenham Ladies’ College. I’m still in my first year.”

Ellie shrugged and smile none-committedly again but Maggie pressed on.

“Mummy says state schools have become a shambles and the educational standards are appalling.
Cheltenham’s a super school and I’m even allowed to stable Lucy nearby. I go riding after school every day.”

Callie nodded and smiled as Maggie continued.

“You should try and persuade your olds to send you there. We could go down together each term.”

“Nah, I’m happy where I am.” Callie countered without elaborating.

Maggie assumed that Callie was possibly one of the ‘Newly Poor’. That was ‘old nobility’ impoverished by death duties; she had heard her father talking about such things. Having concluded this erroneously she changed the subject. The bridle path had widened as the terrain changed from cultivated fields to open moorland and it now stretched ahead as a perfect ‘gallop’. The temptation was too great.

“I’ll race you to that big boulder.”

Callie recognised the ‘meeting stone’ that marked the boundary to the Denton estate and agreed.

“Okay, get ready, get set and go! She urged.”

Callie’s horse broke into an almost instant gallop and quickly surged ahead as Maggie shook her head in surprise. By the time Maggie had reached the ‘Meeting Stone’, Callie was dismounted and climbing onto the stone.”

“Crickey! What d’you feed her on?”

“She’s a he. Callie declared.”

Maggie had not noticed earlier but one look confirmed it.

“Gosh, is he dangerous? My dad won’t allow stallions anywhere near the farm. One threw my older brother and killed him a few years ago. Dad never got over it.”

Callie shook her head.

“No, Sandie’s lovely, look he’s neither tethered nor hobbled and he’s free to wander. He comes to my call without fail.”

“He’s fast,” Maggie offered.

“Yes, he can beat my mother’s mare and she’s a bigger animal.

“I’d love to have a go on him.”

“I’m not sure about that. If your dad’s against entire horses you’d best ask your mum or something.”

“Oh go on, nobody can see, the olds are way behind.”

“Oh okay then. The path to the notch in that ridge is straight and wide but don’t do anything stupid. You’ll be in sight all the way and I can watch from here.”

Maggie needed no further encouragement and promptly swapped rides. Callie watched as the girl sped off demonstrating her horsemanship then paused as she reached the ridge. Finally she tired of the view and returned none the worse for her exhilarating ride. Unfortunately as she sped back towards Callie their parents appeared trotting along the lower path. Jane Arnold frowned as she recognised her only child returning to the meeting stone.

“And what, young lady, did your father say about riding stallions?”

Maggie frowned defensively.

“There’s no need to tell him.”

Ellie quickly caught the jist of the exchange.

“Are you saying she’s not allowed near stallions?”

“Yes,” Jane turned to explain, “her brother was killed by one only a couple of years ago and now her dad expressly forbids stallions around the farm. He doesn’t trust them.”

Ellie turned to Callie.

“Did you know about this?”

“Yes,” she mumbled.

“Right! You’re grounded for a week!”

“But Mummy! You know Sandie’s a perfect gentleman.”

“It was my fault Mrs Denton. We had a race and Sandie was so fast I couldn’t resist asking. I’m the best rider in my year at school and he’s a fabulous ride.”

Jane Arnold intervened.

“Nevertheless young lady, you went directly against your father’s express wishes. You’re grounded for a week as well.”

Both daughters fell into a silent sulk as the four returned to explore the old railway track. Callie was too annoyed to broach the idea of re-opening the rail line and the girls remained silent all the way back to Denton Hall where they had arranged for Peter Arnold to collect them with the horse trailer.

As they arrived at Denton Hall, Maggie gazed in wonder.

“It’s huge; and you live here alone.”

“No with my mum and Nan.”

“Well of course I realise that! I’m not stupid; but what about brothers or sisters?”

“No I’m an only child.”

They had little time to chat any more as Ellie set her daughter to work.

“Never mind chatting, sort the horses out.”

Callie set to rubbing down and stabling the Denton horses then preparing the Arnold horses for the horse trailer. Maggie immediately offered to help and Jane Arnold cautioned her.

“Stay away from Sandie, your father will be here shortly.”

“Reluctantly, Maggie obeyed as Callie unsaddled him and removed everything before rubbing him down then turning him out into a large secure paddock.”

“Is he allowed to roam like that – without even the bridle? What about the mares?”

“Look at the rails, they’d stop a bull.” Callie replied. “He couldn’t get out if he tried.”

Maggie studied the solid, two-and-a-half-metre-high steel railings and concluded her new-found friend was right. Sandie had acres of space but he could not escape even if every mare in the district was in season.
They were finishing the other horses and exchanging mobile phone information when Maggie’s dad Peter Arnold arrived.

After the horses were trailered the three joined the others inside Denton Hall. Maggie met Callie’s grandmother for the first time and stared uncomprehendingly as her dad Peter addressed Molly.

“Afternoon your grace.”

Maggie gaped nervously as she realised the grand old lady must have some sort of title.
Molly did not notice Maggie’s confusion as she addressed Peter Arnold and smiled.

“I’m afraid your mistaken Mr Arnold. Technically, my daughter in law Ellie is the dowager duchess, because

Callum’s the future duke; aren’t you darling?”

As Molly turned to smile at Callie, Maggie frowned uncomprehendingly.

“Duke? But she’s a girl. She can’t be a duke! She has to be a boy to be a duke.”

“Nana-a!! Callie protested, at her gran for revealing her most intimate secret.

Molly continued smiling as she reassured her granddaughter.

“Oh don’t be so sensitive, darling,” She scolded Callie gently. “Maggie was bound to find out eventually. Better sooner than later.”

“But Nana! There’s no need to broadcast to everybody. How can I make and keep friends if you keep giving me away?”

Maggie was still gaping stupidly as she tried to make sense of the conversation. Finally she found her voice.

“Is it true? You’re a boy!”

Callie nodded glumly as tears started to force their way to her eyes. Maggie was almost the first girl Callie had ever met who was her own age. Their brief time riding the horses together had been thoroughly enjoyable and it had raised Callie’s hopes of finally finding a female friend to spend the holidays with. Now everything had turned to dust. She turned and stumbled from the room ignoring her mother’s beseechments to stay. Maggie had just detected the glint of a tear in Callie’s eyes and she turned to Ellie in wonderment.

“Is it true?”

Debbie hesitated as she debated what to say. Finally she realised there was no way of avoiding the truth. She rolled her eyes as she glanced censoriously at Molly then turned to Maggie.

“Yes Maggie, I’m afraid Callie is transgendered.”

“So she’s actually a boy; with the bits and all?”

Her mother Jane snapped at her.

“Margaret! That’s nothing to do with you. Don’t be so salacious!”

“But I have to know! If we are to be friends, I mean, it’s important, and there’s nobody else around here, boy or girl. Holidays suck without friends. I was looking forward to lots more rides together and maybe going into Leeds or York with her – I mean – him. Do I call her him or her?”

“She’s a girl in her head Maggie and she will possibly transition one day.” Ellie explained. “So ‘she’, ‘her’ or ‘hers’ are the best pronouns to use.”

Maggie frowned thoughtfully.

“She seemed very upset; can I go and speak to her?”

Ellie glanced enquiringly at Jane and Peter Arnold. They exchanged looks then both simultaneously nodded though Peter asked.

“Will Maggie be safe with her?”

“I should think so. Callie’s a girl in everything except plumbing.”

Peter gave a chuckle as he replied.

“That’s the bit that worries me.” He turned to his daughter. “Okay darling but no nonsense now and respect her privacy!”

“Da-ad!” Maggie protested as Ellie led her to Callie’s room.

As they tramped through the house Maggie’s eyes widened in wonderment.

“Gosh this place is huge. Thanks for showing me.”

After climbing a very grand staircase, Ellie paused outside a large door and motioned silently to Maggie. After hesitating at the grandeur of the ornate door, Maggie took the hint and knocked gently as Ellie retreated downstairs.

“Go away!”

“It’s me, Maggie.”

“What d’ you want?”

“To chat.”

“If it’s about me and my stuff, I don’t want to know.”

Maggie realised that the last thing Callie wanted was to have to talk yet again about her transgenderism.

“I want to know if you still want to be friends.”

There was a prolonged pause then Callie opened the door.

Maggie hesitated for a brief moment. The transgender thing was definitely the ‘elephant in the room’ and Maggie wondered what to talk about. Callie’s tears gave her a perfect gambit.

“Your mascara’s a mess.” Maggie observed. “D’ you want me to help?”

Callie nodded then turned towards her dressing table and took a tissue from the box as she asked.

“Are you serious – about the friendship thing I mean?”

“Yes. The ride this afternoon was brilliant and I was so looking forward to sharing the hols. But – but; you know, as a girl friend, you know; no boy stuff.”

“Do I look like I do boy stuff – as you call it?”

“Sorry, that came out a bit wrong. No. No of course not. It’s obvious you’re not a boy. That’s why I want to stay friends.”

“Okay then. Let’s do the make-up then.” Callie replied as she took a face wipe and started cleaning her face.”

The girls spent the next half hour repairing Callie’s makeup and chatting about plans for the rest of the holidays. Initially, Maggie was ‘walking on eggshells’ as she avoided any reference to Callie’s issues but eventually the tension eased. When Molly Denton knocked on their door and called to them, both girls were lying on the bed just chatting.

“Dinner’s ready girls. Maggie, your mum and dad are staying for dinner. Callie, can I come in?”

“Yes Nana.”

Molly opened the door softly and slid her head around. She was not surprised to see both girls fully clothed and lying side by side on top of the sheets with their knees drawn up

“How are you feeling girl?” She smiled.

“Okay Nan.”

“Sorry I let the cat out of the bag but it doesn’t seem to have harmed your friendship. It looks like everything is okay between you.”

“We were just chatting Nan. Bed’s the best place for that.”

“Good, well come on down now, Dinner’s ready.”

The girls slid off the bed, into their shoes and followed Molly down stairs. In the dining room the adults turned as one with various inquisitive expressions. Callie gave them an old look.

“We were just chatting.”

Behind them Molly nodded affirmation and they were soon seated. With the adults present to moderate the conversation Maggie felt more at ease to ask Callie about school life. She wondered if life was hard at the local comp and was very surprised to learn that Callie attended Eton College, the most prestigious boys’ school in England.

On learning this, Maggie had little hesitation in asking further questions and Callie’s obvious ease at describing conditions there, served to remove all reservations between the girls. When the meal ended, the girls were reluctant to part and the farewells were truly heartfelt; especially as both girls had been grounded for a week
because of the Maggie’s illicit ride on Sandie.

Fortunately the parents had forgotten to confiscate mobiles and almost as soon as Maggie got home, she was messaging Callie from her bedroom. With phones connected to their chargers the pair chatted long into the night. The friendship was thoroughly cemented and Callie had her first true friend.

~~oo000oo~~

up
282 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

We all need those

Podracer's picture

even if only occasionally, or if we think we don't. Maggie seems like a nice lass.
C'mon Callie, the trains, the trains!

"Reach for the sun."

I don't get it

Are their (the three noble houses') lands the national park or not?
I think not, but I'm confused nonetheless.
Can't the nobs tell the quarry companies to bugger off?
I understand that one of the Three Houses has been hard hit by the Tax on Widows and Orphans so they need the cash.
But the other two?
Can't they say "no"?
It's their land after all, isn't it?
IMO a RR would had been valid in the 1920s, maybe up to WWII. But afterwards so many lines were made uneconomical by lorries that I'm not sure if a RR could make sense today.
It is not enough to get the stone out of the estate - you have to get it to distributors/constructions sites. I do not think any of the former would have sidings leading to them - a few, at best, and the latter can safely be assumed to be "lorry access only". Reloading the stone from train to lorry takes time and costs money.
The track itself - construction of which may be 85% refunded by the EU - need not be that expensive. Although the loads will be heavy - stone! - there is no need for the permanent way to be of very high standard as high speeds are not necessary.

Transport Economics.

Moving minerals over distances >150 miles is usually cheaper by rail and most of the limestone is going south to the London area to make cement (300 miles.)
Handling costs are usually cheaper for bulk minerals as it's all automated these days. The vast majority of the limestone is destined for large consumers (Cement factories) who offer considerable economies of scale. Rail is very competitive in this equation.

Several large quarries in South-western England have maintained their historic rail links because of the aforementioned reasons. Very little limestone is sold as 'lime-stone' per-se. It nearly all passes straight into some large industrial process like cement production, concrete production, road surfacing, railway ballasting - etc.
Rail lends itself perfectly to such large-scale continuous production processes.
Thanks for your input and observations. This just the sort of feedback I relish. I have noted some of your observations.
Thanks, xxx
Bev.

bev_1.jpg

Silly me :)

For some reason I imagined that the stone will be taken out in sizes suited for construction use.
Silly me :)
I stand by my EU comment - Brussels for some reason or other likes rail and under both the 2007-2013 and 2014-2020 MFF (this means Multiyear Financial Framework, mind you :)) the Infrastructure and Environment Operational Programme had funds dedicated to track improvement and expansion.
Road getting EU refund - possible; rail spur getting EU refund - almost a given :)
ADDED LATER:
Speaking of the EU - won't the place be part of "Natura 2000" protected areas? Can't the Denton's whip up the support of eco-loonies like Greenpeace and other such wackos?

Rail

Granny Lee's picture

Even Metro New York/.New Jersey rail is economical for another bulk commodity, Garbage, each rail car takes about ten trucks off the already congested roads.

May the Peace and Happiness of The Goddess keep and protect you
Granny Lee

I know many of our laws in

I know many of our laws in the US are based on Old English Laws; so does the UK also impose the "Immanent Domain" law on people who may be in the way of so-called "progress" or some politician wanting to make money off of other's lands and holdings? For some reason I can see this happening here with the two families wanting to keep the quarry owners out.

Eminent Domain

aka "compelled purchase" does exist in the UK, but there are significant limitations. And if the old precedents still hold, Callum's family have a little more say in the matter than their neighbors (due to the title), and the SSIs and so on gives them even more leverage.

What I want to know is: will Jessica come out of retirement?

Jorey
.

Most coal and broken stone

Most coal and broken stone travel by rail here in the US. Can you imagine the beating the roads would take with a steady stream of trucks carrying 50 + tons of material when a train would pull 20 cars with the same load. Emptying is a snap, it's been done for a century with coal.
A nice gentle story, about children.

Karen

some numbers

Wagon cap 122000 lbs

100 to 120 wagons pushed and pulled by 4 to 6 locomotives.

Out West, it's mostly strip mining.

Pins and needles

I'm waiting on pins and needles for the next exciting instsllment.

That much weight by road

Jamie Lee's picture

It would seem trucks hauling that much repeated weight would really wear on any road. I seen what repeated cattle and freight trucks do to a street, and how they can really cause wear on a highway.

But the real issue are the rights of the land owners to yea or nay use of their land. It's understandable that taxes need paid, but destroying land which will never look the same again must be scrutinized closely. Long term affects need to be considered or something unforeseen could occur.

Farmers breaking up thousands of acres of pristine land, plus a drought thrown in, and the result was The Dust Bowl. Those farmers, unlike today's farmers, clean tilled their fields, leaving the topsoil exposed to the strong winds which occurred. With nothing to hold the topsoil in place, several thousands tons of futile topsoil were lost. Had harvest residue been left in the fields, there may have been losses but at a much lower rate.

Quarries require large machines to dig and move large amounts of stone--if the quarry is to be profitable. How will this effect the area? How will the constant flow of trucks effect the area? And what effect will all of this have on the wildlife in the area? Will those which depend on such sites tolerate the work, or find suitable habitat to survive?

All of these questions need answered before the go ahead is given by any land owner. Or should be

Callie seems to now have a friend. A friend who is a girl. But will the friendship last when Meg's classmates learn about Callie? As they surely will, she did, after all, save a toddler.

Others have feelings too.