Chasing Tales Chapter 1

Printer-friendly version


Chasing Tales

Chapter 1

Summer Again.

It was the first Saturday of the summer and I was cuddling with Ben on the porch. It had been a hectic 9 months since the Royal Grand Ball with everyone settling in to at the house. The attacks had stopped after the twins showed their power that night. We were grateful for the respite but I knew it would not last. The twins recovered slowly from the wild magic backlash being spoiled the whole time.

Darla was happy as a substitute teacher and living back at her house. It took a month for Misty the little dragon to forgive Darla for being gone but she did forgive her.

The Princess Betterment Group was doing grand with the first 3 taking to magic real well doing the title Princess proud.

The Alpha Sorority had put on a event every month since the Ball gathering supporters from all over Sanctuary and the Academy.

The Dragons I was watching learned and grew strong with many types of magic. They would soon be heading back to their homes to show that different dragon races can work together to make all dragons stronger. Being the newest Dragon Queen around this was a very close thing to my heart.

Ben snuggled up to me. He could see his wife's mind was far away. "Penny for your thoughts, love?" He smiled he knew what it was. It has that time again, when things get busy. Her last projects are coming to a end and she would be looking for something new.

Ember smiled "I was just remembering last summers fun. Everything seems to have settled down and that is when I wait for the other shoe to drop." Her look seemed to take in all the caves looking for where the next trouble will come from.

The blast of portal energy past through the caves like a wave. It let everyone know something was coming, something that would not be deigned! Ember moved to find the source of the energy quickly. Striding towards the heart of the energy wave with the sureness that cleared everyone out of her way. Shifting into Dragon Queen in mid stride, showing that someone was going to pay for disturbing her cuddle time!

Ben as captain of the royal guard was right on her heels. He knew not to get in her way. He was there to take care of the mundane threats posed to Ember and the caves in general. Of course if anyone tried to lay a hand on his wife, well I just pity the fool and their army who tried. If nothing else, after his rebirth at the hands of his wife he was the only male Crystal Dragon that there is, that made him pretty strong!

They were met at the newly opened caves by Zoe the combat Mage leader with Sara, Anna, Ella and Willa the members of the first squad of combat mages. So there was a whole lot of power set to take on whatever was coming through the portal.

We entered the newly opened caves and the energy was stronger here. The portal was closed but the energy residue remained. Ben pointed to where a wall had been blasted outward from the portals energy wave. We went over careful to watch for whatever passed through that portal. Looking through the hole I could see two bodies on the floor in front of a very elaborate mirror. I changed back to human form to make my way to the bodies. Ben followed me drawing his sword. They were out cold but alive. A man and a woman looking to be in their twenties. They both felt out of place, slightly out of sink with this world. The twins gave me the same feel. I am betting they are from a different earth. I checked and the woman has a lot of magic potential none in the man. I did note he was carrying a handgun. Ben relieved him of the gun as I opened my link compact to call Janis. These two need a healer and Janis is the best.

I looked over the mirror while we waited for Janis. It was made of a strange silver crystal hybrid that I had never seen before. The frame was made of a darker type of the same thing and very elaborate. It was twice the size of a standard portal mirror and quite thick. This mirror could take a lot of energy passing through it without warping or cracking. I wonder why it was walled away?

Janis came in with Dixie and 4 helpers. She checked them over twice then sitting back on her heels "They have been through a tremendous shock. I am not sure when they will wake up. The problem is I have no where to put them right now. All my rooms are full. All they should need is to sleep it off. If you can find them a place to stay my helpers will take them there.

I looked at Ben and he shrugged "What is two more strays." He turned to Janis "Take them to our house. We will keep an eye on them for now." Ben knew me so well I did not have to suggest it. I loved him so much.

Janis smiled "Portal shock should run its course by tomorrow evening. If it does not call me and I'll have another look. All they should need is sleep." She gave directions to her helpers and we all trooped to the house.

My only clue to what happened is these two 'Strays'. I wanted to get to the bottom of this to see if this is any threat to Sanctuary. I could use safe room spell to put a shield around one of the bedrooms in the house to keep these two contained. The woman has strong magic but it is mostly unused potential so I can keep her contained without too much trouble. So I think it is fairly safe to have them at the house and we do have the space.

Ben set some combat mages to watch the mirror and we trooped off to the house. Walking took a lot longer than flying but I wanted to keep my eyes on these two till I can get them where they can do no harm if they do prove to be a threat.


To be continued!

I know this one is real short but this is just a teaser to start the third book. MORE to come next week!

up
194 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Wonderful!

Alecia Snowfall's picture

Wonderful! I know I'm not alone in waiting for this series to return!

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

I guess we can cancel the

I guess we can cancel the order for pitchforks and torches now....;)

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

This is a series I can really

This is a series I can really sink my teeth into. I guess that is because I love dragons and all their oh so very long teeth. hee, hee.
Actually, I have truly happy we will once more be visiting Sanctuary and the academy, along with all the awesome characters who make up these two locations.

Hooray

Looking forwards to more.
After rereading back Shadow of The Heart, That 2 I presume are Amber and Dan from Wind Haven. :)