Gene's Story or How I Gained a Cousin Chapter 46

Printer-friendly version

div align="center">

"Ellen and Jinny.jpg
Gene's Story
or How I Gained a Cousin
<

A novel by Karen Lockhart


Copyright 2016
 



It's funny how things happen to change your life and the way you look at things



CHAPTER 46

After Steve drove off, Ginny and I discussed her new status, a legitimate full-time employee!

“Steve is a gem, he tries to act like a tough guy, but he's really a softy,” I told Ginny. “At least with me.”

“I did notice the nephew was his new driver, and I noticed this envelope tossed on my desk. It must have come from him before we came in this morning.”

“What are you waiting for girl? Open it, open it” I urged.

Inside was a smaller envelope from the Beverly Theater. Inside that were two tickets for Friday night, front row.

“OMG,”said Ginny. “It's for Hamlet! My favorite! You know the most famous Shakespearean quote is from this play. 'To be or not to be, that is the question.'”

I know I said, “Act III, scene I, the Nunnery Scene.” these must be nearly impossible to get a hold of. I said Steve was a softy. I'll bet he was planning to change your status for a while, and got these as a gift.”

“Now I really feel rotten deceiving him the way we have,” Ginny said. “I'm going to tell him right now, where's his cell number written down?”

“Whoa, Seabiscuit. Slow down a minute. Steve has known ever since he got you that phony ID and driver's license.”

“What! How did he find out? I thought we were very careful.”

“You might have been careful, but I told him that afternoon.”

Ginny was shocked, “He's known for months and didn't let on, why?”

“Because I asked him not to. You know, he was going to have his buddy who did the ID shoot Morales and end your problem.”

“Shoot him how?”

“Steve's Vietnam buddy was a Marine Sniper, 'One shot, one kill'. He could do it from over 1500 meters away. Morales would be dead, before he heard the shot. I asked him not to do it, Morales has too many associates. Remember the two Boston cops? They didn't work for Vinnie you know.”

“I should be upset at the both of you, but I'm not. The two of you should be on stage Friday night.”

With that, she got to her feet and gave me a big hug. I could hear and feel my bones creak in her embrace. “You are the best.” Ginny murmured into my shoulder, “I love you.”

Lunch was a salad and a sandwich from the canteen truck the foreman talked into stopping on the site. Surprisingly it was pretty good.

After getting home, Ginny asked where my Christmas decorations were stored. I said in the basement, and led her there.

“You call these decorations?” Ginny said. “I call these crap!”

“But it isn't Veteran's Day yet,” I protested. “Why look now?”

“Because by Thanksgiving I want all the decorations up, That way we can enjoy them longer. Let's go shopping, we'll get supper on the way home.”

Off we went to Christmas City on Route 1 south at the Route 95 split. Two hours and 500 dollars later Ginny and I headed home.

“Now that was fun. Did you enjoy it Scrooge?”

I hated to admit it, but I did, Now all I had to look forward to was a cheerful Christmas.

We had supper at the Hearthside in Peabody. I had the sirloin steak, Ginny had lobster with macaroni and cheese. I've never tried it, so I had a spoonful of Ginny's. Not to my taste, I love them both, but separately.

After unloading Christmas from the CRV we just made the early news on Fox 25. A slight chance of light snow early tomorrow, then cold in the 20's F, minus 12 C. Cold for early November!

Ginny was all ready to start decorating, but I held her off saying “There isn't enough time tonight. We could start tomorrow when we get home from work.”

We arrived at the Lynnway in the darkness as usual but today the ground was a pristine white. It was snowing, just like the TV weather chic threatened last night. Boy, I hope she was correct also about the amount too.

The first snow always creates havoc for the drivers who obviously forgot how to drive in the snow from last year. Ginny and I had a ringside seat, as there was a traffic signal beside the office for the main road into Lynn and the junior college.

By noon, the count was two t-bone accidents, and six rear-enders. A great day for the tow-trucks and auto body shops. The piledriver crew wasn't coming in. They had a small car slide through an intersection in front of their truck. The car was flattened, the driver seriously hurt.

Ginny and I had nothing to do so we ordered a pizza delivery and went online looking at fancy decorations. With Amazon Prime, we had free delivery in 2 days. I was talked into an artificial tree, pre-lit for $300 dollars, on sale. That did it for me, $300 bucks for a plastic tree, c'mon. A real tree was only $15 dollars!

When we got home Ginny dove into yesterday's purchases, planning where to hang, place, or just prop her treasures. She informed me where the tree was going, in the corner by the French doors looking towards the ocean, and look at the cute angel for the top.

In spite of my self, Ginny was getting me into the spirit, with the decorations and the freshly fallen 3” of snow, It looked like a Currier and Ives lithograph of Christmas.

The only thing missing was the horse drawn sleigh with the warning bells tinkling away as the family went to the white church.

See! I said Ginny's attitude was contagious. I thought I'd ask her to bake gingerbread men, no, I'd ask her to make supper instead. Jeepers! I'm not that far gone.

Over a baked ham and pineapple dinner, I changed the subject from Ho, Ho, Ho to the tickets to Hamlet. I talked her into going on line to learn about the Danish Prince after we ate, the dishwasher would do the dishes that night.

The more Ginny read, the more excited she got, except for the Scottish Play, this was the favorite of the producer and director at the Beverly Theater. They would put the Scottish Play on next season. Something to look forward to.

The snow stopped overnight with a total of four new inches, the weather people were closer than usual. Tuesday's commute was a monster, even if ours was only 5 miles. The drawbridge at the end of the Lynnway was a sheet of ice, seems the people who ploughed the road didn't believe the forecast.

We arrived eventually, driving through the snow, a snap for the Explorer. I cleared the snow from the entry stairs with my boots, thinking I should add a snow shovel to the SUV. If we received this much before Veteran's Day, I shuddered to think of the coming winter.

The pile drivers made it in that day, hoping to finish the following Monday or Tuesday. Ye,s in construction we work on Veterans Day, and most take the Friday after Thanksgiving off. A smart move, only half the men would show up anyway, might as well not work that day at all.

Friday came with both of us excited to be attending the play that night. The last of the snow had disappeared by late Thursday. Driving to the theater would be easy.

Now, the big decision, What to wear? I gave up and let Ginny pick my outfit, I forgot I had a LBD. She found it, along with smokey black tights and black patent leather 3 inch pumps, If I didn't break my neck, I'll turn a few heads.

Ginny wore the same thing except, if not careful with crossing her legs, she may cause the actors to forget their lines. I have T-shirts that cover more then that dress did.

Inside I was laughing, thinking about how many men would be snapping their necks to stare at another guy. As we walked inside I whispered just that to Ginny. Her answer, I know, that's why the tiny dress. Aren't I a caution?

We were led to our seats, front, center, oh Steve what seats!


To be continued

Many thanks to Bronwen Welsh for her help in fixing typos and punctuation errors

up
204 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Revelation!

Watch your heads, that was a big wrench thrown at us regarding the cops!

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Pre light tree

The plastic pre light tree is a saving. Even if it does not serve 20 years - 300 = 15 x 20.
You save the outlay on lights. The gas to drive and pick up the tree.

So Steve does know

Renee_Heart2's picture

About Genny, thanks to Ellin. I know she did it to protect Gennt in a way I'm glad in another kind of disappointed in Ellin. However she had not only her job at heart, but Genny's job & welfare at heart.

As,for the play Steve scored BIG TIME front row center I bet BOTH ladies will love the play!

Love Samantha Renee Heart

I Hate Ginny

joannebarbarella's picture

Making Thanksgiving continuous to Christmas. I've always hated it when Christmas songs start in the malls the next day. By the time the holiday actually comes I am heartily sick of hearing carols courtesy of commercial interests.

Ginny's LBD

Jamie Lee's picture

I snorted quite a bit reading about Ginny's LBD and the actors forgetting their lines.

Not only does Ginny now have a place to live, a newly found hobby interest, but a real above board job. Appears things are working out for Ginny.

Others have feelings too.

Really enjoy reading this story of Gene's new life

I have been following this as though it could have been a true story with characters changed. Its' a really greater story with superb writing. Knowing the greater Boston area having worked in the general. A lot of work had to go in to site locations and routes. keep it up, loving it.

Stephanie online name