Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2963

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2963
by Angharad

Copyright© 2016 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

I was glad to get back to Pompey, the thought of what we’d seen in the river was making me feel quite down. We had no information about the body at all, the police just took over and closed down everything, erecting screens around everything. Doubtless there would be police divers searching the bottom of the canal later if there’s any thought of foul play. ( I was going to say fowl play – but I chickened. Okay a pretty poultry joke.)

Of course we don’t know there has been any, we don’t even know if it’s a male or female body, just that it’s dead and not terribly fresh. They can tell how long a body has been in water from the amount of conversion from normal body fat to adipocere—the fat becomes denser and harder.

Was it an accident, someone a bit over the eight falls in and drowns? Or a suicide—it happens, or a murder? Bodies in canals are likely to be discovered eventually as canals are relatively still compared to rivers which usually have a distinct flow to most of them; generally taking the water down to the sea. If you’ve just murdered someone, then dumping the body in a river may be a good way of either disposing of it or destroying forensic evidence which might convict you. Burning is another way to slow down identification and evidence.

A bit later I checked on the Bristol Evening Post website and all it said was that a body had been discovered in the canal by a woman walking with her daughters. See, we’re famous, not. I didn’t say anything to the girls as I didn’t want to have to deal with nightmares, though I’m sure they’ll be speculating about it. I’d not picked up anything from being near the corpse, so it had probably been dead for some time.

“You still upset about the canal?” asked Simon once we got to bed.

“It’s sad but I don’t feel any involvement with it other than being the person to discover it was there and reported it to the police.”

“But if it was some sort of murder dumped in the water and weighted down with stones, it’s curious that it suddenly floats on the surface as you’re walking along the tow path.”

“Oh yeah, it obviously knew I’d be along there at that moment and released itself—duh.” It made him snort and then cough, so it was probably response enough.

“Seriously, you don’t know if that happened or not.”

“No and neither do you, so shut up and cwtch with me.” I felt his arm around me and feeling safe, I relaxed and was asleep minutes later.

I was walking along the canal when I spotted the rags drifting towards me. I was holding a long pole and managed to snag the clothes and draw them towards the bank. Pulling it towards me, I somehow flipped the body over and seeing the face for the first time, realised it was female.

The long hair floated away from the face and as I stared at the swollen pale features the eyes opened and stared back at me. I froze in horror unable to move as the arm raised up into the air towards me and the hand clutched at me...

“Wake up, Cathy, you’re having a bad dream,” I heard Simon’s voice from a long way away as i struggled against the hands that were trying to grab me. “Ouch, stop struggling, woman, you’re safe—that’s me you’re hitting.”

I woke up hot and sweaty where I’d been struggling against Simon. He was wrapped round me like an anaconda trying to stop me hitting him. When I’d come too, we both lay there panting.

“Goodness, you’re strong when you get going, girl.”

“Well, I was frightened. I’ll bet I’ll be all bruised now.”

“Well I could hardly leave you screaming there, could I?”

“Sorry.”

“That’s okay. If it’s all right with you, I’m going back to sleep.”

“Of course, sorry I woke you, darling.”

“Okay,” he rolled over and I decided to slip out of bed and have a wee. I was soaking wet, so I had a little wash and changed into a clean nightdress, then I snuck downstairs and put the kettle on. It was two in the morning on a Sunday. Debbie was coming over for dinner and we were going to do some sewing in the afternoon. I felt it was the least I could do for cancelling the Friday session.

Apparently, John goes to his parents every Sunday for lunch. He invited her to go with him but she preferred David’s cooking—see us academics aren’t as stupid as you think.

I made myself a cup of milky coffee in the microwave and sat blowing on it—well, it was too hot to hold let alone drink. Next time I’ll only do half a cup and add some cold milk. That reminded me, we needed some more tomorrow. I’ll nip out first thing and get some from the corner shop. It’s much dearer than the supermarkets but for them I’d have to wait until after ten because of Sunday trading and its archaic trading laws. Apparently, in the dim and distant past you could buy a girly magazine full of tits and bums but not a copy of the Bible. It was even more ludicrous in those days and it’s not as if anyone ever goes to church. So the keep Sunday special mob are out of touch with the rest of the country, especially when you compare it to the US which is a much more religious country yet the shops are all open. Then again, I suppose Mammon is the patron saint of capitalism.

I finished my coffee and went back to bed. Simon was totally zonked and didn’t even stir when I put my cold feet against his leg. I soon warmed up and turning over with my back to him caused him to roll over into the back of me and put his arm around my waist. It felt snug and safe and I was soon asleep again.

Fortunately, I slept through, so perhaps the milky drink did the trick. I was up fairly early and went down the paper shop and bought the Observer and a couple of two litre bottles of semi skimmed. I’d ask Simon to go and get some more from Tesco or Asda later, but we had enough for breakfast and that was the priority. We also had some frozen ones in the spare freezer but they take all day to thaw.

As I walked into the drive, accompanied by the hound of the Baskervilles, well okay, Kiki, I saw a police car parked in the drive. My heart rate raced as I walked more quickly to see what they wanted.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
284 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Wonder if the Police

have their own parking spot of Cameron Towers ...They do seem to be there an awful lot , You would think this visit should be friendly enough but as Cathy knows only to well they have an awful habit of implicating her in their investigations , Hopefully todays visitors are some of the more intelligent members of the boys in blue team and will not provide extra work for Jason ....

Kirri

We can only wait.

The words cliff and hang are back.

Still lovin it.

bev_1.jpg

cliff hanger !

You can freeze milk ? I'll have to let Mammon know this. We call them "Blue Laws"
There is a residual horror with finding 'floaters'. Wonder why there is a RPC waiting so early on a Sunday?
Oh, crap ! The floater IS someone Cathy knows.

Karen

...I have unfortunately

...I have unfortunately frozen a whole gallon of milk before. Ok I stupidly forgot that I put it in the freezer and it froze overnight! Once thawed it starts to separate so it becomes grainy. I wouldn't put it on my cereal but for cooking and coffee it is still good to use...

Regarding that cruiser, given who she is and what happened folks in blue are going to either need to have a word with her about it and maybe they need to ask some deeper questions. But knowing Portsmouth, it's probably due to the odd school inspector she took out for trying to snatch Trish...

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Defrosted milk

is still wholesome and still usable. Yes, some small separation might occur, but simply shake the container to mix it all together again. My family in the UK buy the milk from the store and drop the containers straight into the freezer. When they require it, they defrost it overnight in the kitchen sink, shake the container once it is all liquid and use it just as they use fresh.
The California take on this can be found ... http://www.stilltasty.com/questions/index/92/page:1
...
As regards the floater and the visit of Plod.
Maybe the floater was trans-something? Maybe Plod is visiting because of the School Inspector, maybe because of the Bristolian event??
Or maybe (unlikely) Andy Bond has run out of tea?
...
I echo Beverley - still lovin' it. J.

floater

earlier comment of Cathy knows the floater. I bet Cathy knows him/her quite well, possibly from the Uni. Maybe the last group gave Cathy's name as possibly able to ID the kid. Excellent as always. I remember many of the blue laws. Stores not open until after church. No alcohol sales on Sunday or election days. Car lots not open, much less for a sale. Banks not open for business, because it's the Lord's Day. Of course, school schedules used to be dictated by the farming seasons also. No school at planting, or during the harvest. and so many more.

Is Cathy ill?

She's drinking coffee?

Well, we'll see when our friend Cliff returns from hanging around...

Thanks Angharad for yet another episode of The Saga informally know as "Bike".

Anne Margarete

Ahhhhhhh!

Christina H's picture

Not the school inspector meets canal?????????

Can you freeze milk - never knew that and as a final thought - PC Plod on a Sunday morning? Is there an early morning cafe
near Cameron towers? Probably enjoying their Mc Muffin's in Cathy's driveway.

Great as usual even counting the cliff hanger

Christina

No escape

Podracer's picture

Not from her eventful times, is there? It's almost as if someone is writing Cathy's life into a drama..
"Over the eight", eh? I haven't heard that phrase in a long time.
Simon - Cathy's rock to cling to :)

"Reach for the sun."