Gene's Story or How I Gained a Cousin Chapter 35

Printer-friendly version
"Ellen and Jinny.jpg
Gene's Story
or How I Gained a Cousin

A novel by Karen Lockhart


Copyright 2016
 



It's funny how things happen to change your life and the way you look at things



CHAPTER 35

There was a light snow falling as we headed north for my riding lesson. The forecast was calling for no accumulation on the streets, maybe a coating on the grass. A bad harbinger for the winter to come.

For once Ginny listened to me, she had on a loose pair of jeans, a jersey and a bulky knit sweater, nothing provocative.

We had small talk on the 40 minute ride, the topic of GCS never came up. Ginny was deep in thought, maybe Kevin was on her mind, lord knows, that's all she talked about this morning over breakfast.

She hadn't seen him since last week's brief meeting at the barn. I wonder if his over-night slap and tickle was going to happen again. Or was it a one time fling, after being told the truth about Ginny?

I found a place to park in an unusually crowded parking lot. I grabbed my grooming tray and Ginny got my saddle out of the back of the Explorer.

I soon found the reason for all the extra cars, Cathy was hosting a Girl Scout troupe. They were interested in seeing advanced riding lessons and show horses.

I headed for Freddy's stall, put him on cross ties, and removed his blanket. Ginny went to see Tina Morales, and do girl talk, seeing how I'm two years older and a stick in the mud. She wanted to talk with someone her own age!

While I was brushing Freddy, I heard Kevin come into the barn aisle, deep in conversation with Cathy Taurisi and Jim Brady.

Curious as a cat, when they walked by I called Kevin over.

“Morning Ellen, where's Ginny?”

That answered the question about the budding romance between those two.

“She's talking with Tina Morales. What was the topic you guys were talking about so intently just now?”

Kevin laughed at that, “We were planning a Halloween costume show like we had last year. The kids dress-up themselves and the horses in costumes. It's good fun, the parents bring snacks and cold drinks. Cathy has hot water for hot cider and chocolate with marshmallows . Are you interested in dressing up and being one of the judges?”

“Who are the other judges.” I asked

“Well, I somehow get roped in, and Jim Brady's daughter is the other one. If you say yes, then I can help the kids get ready. What do you say?”

“Only if Ginny can come.”

“I'd be heart broken if she couldn't” He paused, “Than it's settled.”

I headed for the ring, Chris Brady was already walking her horse, and Tina was at the mounting block.

As we walked by the viewing room's window, I saw Ginny talking with Kevin and Jim Brady, nice to see her fitting in.

After the lesson, I asked Ginny what she and Tina Morales were gabbing about earlier.

“We were making plans to meet at the Northshore Mall and go shopping tomorrow.

Wow, you are a girl. You'll miss the Patriots footballgame.” I teased.

“Lot you know, the game is in Seattle, and doesn't start until 4 PM. I'll be back before that. If Tina want's to watch the game with us, is that okay?”

“Sure, just be careful with you-know-what. Do you think Tina would like to have supper with us after the game? Why don't you ask her now, that way I can plan a menu.”

“Good thinking, I'll head there now. Be right back.”

I finished up with Freddy tossing him some hay, then walking to Tina's stall to find out what was keeping Ginny. I turned the corner and saw Vinny standing there. Tension was in the air.

“Ginny are you ready to go, I've got some errands to do on the ride home.”

Morales started to say something to me, but Tina jumped in “One more word,and I find an apartment near work in Salem. Leave Ginny and Ellen alone. It's no business of yours if I visit friends, or not, Am I clear?”

You could cut the tension with a knife.

Morales spun on his heel and headed for his car, tossing over his shoulder, “I'm leaving in five minutes, with or without you. From now on, you're on your own !”

Tina ran to the door, “F**k you, you b*****d” she yelled, I'll come when I'm ready.”

I looked at her, “Did I walk in on something?”

“He started to give Ginny a hard time, running his hand up and down her back, and accidentally bumping her breasts, even after she told him to stop. I told him to quit embarrassing her and me, and act like a man, and not an animal, just out of the jungle.”

“He does this all the time to female friends who come by the house, they never come back. You should see what boys go through, they turn white, and run for their cars. I'm fed up, this stops now, or He will be a lonely man, living by himself.”

Ginny and I made our goodbyes, and headed for the parking lot, “ I'll meet you by the Sears lower entrance about noon, If you have trouble, Tina, call me on my cell.”

We loaded the Suv and looked around the lot. There was Morales, sitting in his car puffing on a cigar the size of a baseball bat. There was a lot of smoke, bet some of it came from him and not the cigar.

The topic of discussion on the ride home was about what had occurred when Vinny showed up. I tried to sneak in the Halloween costume beauty pagent next week, but Ginny ignored my best efforts.

Somehow, she and Kevin got together and made plans for Wednesday night, dinner and a movie.

As we got to Swampscott, I asked if we should stop at the supermarket for anything, as we were out, no need to go out again.

“Where is my head, I need to shop for tonight, and Sunday. Good thing, you're paying attention, or we'd be having dry cereal for dinner tonight.”

She went into the Stop and Shop and came back with a pretty full shopping cart. Only a couple of things, huh.

When we got to the condo, we took turns br4inging in groceries and my saddle.

“Hey, Mrs chef, what are you feeding me for lunch?” I teased, “Or is it a PB&J again?”

“You'll be served cheeseburgers and soup, does that meet with your approval Madam?or should I gather up some squab?”

“Squab-burgers?” “Sounds fine cookie, call me when ready”

She threw a wooden spoon at me as I ran out of the kitchen.

I turned on the laptop, and brought up the site Ginny was always talking about. It had a lot of stories written by those who were Transgender. I saw a few interesting blogs about transitioning, and the lack of family support in many cases.

I was surprised by where the bloggers were from. United Kingdom, Australia, the Pacific Islands, and of course the United States.

There was one story that has been going for over nine years! How does any one do that? A new chapter every day, 3000 chapters! No one gets any money for these stories, they do it for fun, can you imagine.

“Come and get it, before I toss it to the hogs,” Ginny yelled.

As I sat down, I asked, “Where did that come from?”

“I heard it in a John Wayne western years ago, I've been dieing to say that.”

Lunch finished, I put on the US national figure skating. I always wondered how they do those jumps, it seems superhuman.

Ginny cleaned up the lunch dishes and joined me on the sofa with her computer. Onto that site Big something Top Shelf. She started to read a story about a boy who became a Shakespearean actress after dressing like a girl.

Ginny had me start back on chapter one. It was a really good read. I noticed a bunch of comments at the end of the story that agreed with my opinion. There were over 300 kudos, what ever those are.

Ginny started planning meals for the week, she must be a trained chef !

“Pizza tonight ?” she asked, “I've still got some Fosters in the 'fridge to go with it.”

We did pizza, the Good Wife and hit the feathers. Tomorrow was Sunday, I could stay in bed as long as I wanted.

At 1 AM the phone rang.

To be continued

Many thanks to Bronwen Welsh for her help in correcting typos and punctuation errors

up
226 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Nice Asides

waif's picture

Way to tie BCTS, Bike, and Bronwen's amazing Might-Have-Been Girl series into your narrative. Another great chapter but I fear the phone call is going to shift us away from sunshine and unicorns into Morales' web.

Be kind to those who are unkind, tolerant toward those who treat you with intolerance, loving to those who withhold their love, and always smile through the pains of life.

Uhhhhhh ohhhhh

Renee_Heart2's picture

A,1am call on Sunday is NOT good it must be Tina needing help to get the H-E-double hocky stick out of dodge. As her dad is doing something to her.

Love Samantha Renee Heart

Bad person

Eww, I'd be embarassed to fondle women in front of my children ...

Conquest

Jamie Lee's picture

Gene's immediate concern is Morales seeing Ginny as his next conquest.

Even after Tina telling him to stop, it's not stopped him from planning how to make it happen.

Sometimes a late night call, well very early morning call, can be from someone forgetting about time zones. On the other hand, telling a friend to call if they have further trouble, and then receiving a call, it doesn't bode well.

Others have feelings too.