Gaby Book 12+1 Chapter *5* Longest Mile

Printer-friendly version
book13coverfront_1.jpg
 
 get the complete book here! {Or here (US) -Erin}
 
 
*Chapter 5*

Longest Mile<--break-->

 
 
“Isn’t this a turn up for the books Paul, if the Brits don’t get a medal here it certainly won’t be for lack of trying, just to recap for you, we are looking at Britain’s Josh Waugh just being caught by the group containing his team mates Mark Cavendish from the Isle of Man and German based and Apollinaris team mate Drew Bond, Bond of course our time trial World Champion after that amazing race on Friday.”

“In there too, we have the Swiss Pellini, Desgrange of Belgium and promising American Aidan Johnson,” Paul Sherwen added.

“I’m sure the team director will have given the lads instructions but cycle racing rarely goes to plans.”

The camera watched as Pellini finally reached Josh’s rear wheel who in turn pulled out of the race line, now an almost spent force.

Hugh Porter continued Eurosport’s often eccentric commentary, “Looks like the Tynesider has had his fill, Bond and Cavendish are both notable sprinters, I’m sure the others will try to blunt their efforts.”

“That’s right, Hugh, young Bond is still bandaged up after that spill on Friday, word is he was a doubtful start right up to this morning.”

“It was clearly the right call by the coaches.”

As usual the TV station cut to the ads.
 
 

I sat up and quickly removed my cape, it was getting a bit uncomfortable now the heat was returning to the day.

“Gis that he-ah,” Josh instructed, “I’ll not be contesting like.”

“You kept us in contention.” I pointed out.

“Just one of youse get the gong, eh? Gis yer jacket, Cav, man.”

The five to go banner was now in sight and although we were maintaining a loose rotation no one wanted to put in too big a turn.

“Anything left, J?”

“What you got in mind?”

“Blunt the Swiss before the climb?”

“I’ll try like.”
 
 

“You rejoin us as the junior title race passes the three to go banner.”

“The Waugh lad is going again, the others can’t believe it, Pellini looks round but no one else is willing to help, he’ll have to go himself.”

“Has Waugh got the fuel to make it to the finish?”

The answer to that question was no, his effort ran out of steam pretty much at the bottom of the climb but the Swiss rider had had his sting pulled.

“Once over the brow it’s a twisty ride to the finish straight,” Porter told his audience.

“The Swiss still looks like he has gas left.”

“Sure does, Paul, not so sure about the others, difficult to see anything through the grime on those faces.”

The camera followed the remaining five riders as Aiden led Pellini, Drew and Cavendish with Desgrange bringing up the rear.

“No one wants to take the initiative, it’s been a battlefield out there today, caution is the watchword.”

“Two hundred, Hugh.”

“And Cavendish makes his move, can the others answer?”

Cav accelerated past Drew as though he was stood still and had several lengths on the others before they reacted. No one stood a chance of catching the Manx rocket but it didn’t stop them trying. Aidan blew first, Desgrange never really got into the mix leaving Drew and Pellini shoulder to shoulder.

“It’s Cavendish for the title, can Bond make it a one two?”

“Ooh that was close!” Sherwen exclaimed, “Gonna be a photo to decide that one.”
 
 
I stopped pedalling and hit the brakes, I was in front of the Swiss now but was I at the line? When he clapped me on the back, ow, it was of the well done rather than bad luck type, he at least thought I’d got it. Dad grabbed me as I came to a halt.

“Well done, kiddo.”

“Urgh, urgh.”

Someone draped a trackie top around me, it was over.
 
 

“Let’s have another look at that, Paul.”

The view on the screen picked up the action at about 250 metres.

“The American isn’t sure what to do here, Pellini is watchful, and here goes Cavendish, wide across the road, Bond reacts just a second too late.”

“It’s a valiant attempt, Paul, but young Cavendish just accelerates away.”

“Pellini gets Bond’s wheel, the Belgian and American are clearly spent, so who got it on the line Hugh?”

“For my money I think the Swiss got it by a whisker.”

“I think you’re right, Hugh, Bond’s last kick was just a moment too late to claim the silver.”
 
 

“We did it, Drew!” Mark was almost bouncing as we waited in the holding area for the judges to confirm the result.

“You did it, mate,” I allowed before taking a slug of the cola that Steve had pressed into my hand.

“It was a team effort, if it hadn’t been for you and Josh I wouldn’t’ve been in with a shot.”

I shrugged, it had been my call to put the three of us in the break, British success was more likely if we were numerically strong. I guess I could’ve left Mark safely in the bunch and just chased the break down, would things have gone down the same without Cav in the break? We’ll never know, I made the decision I made, the result is what we, as a team, were playing for.

“Wish they’d hurry up with the photo,” I grumbled, we’d been waiting ten minutes already.

“Messieurs, the result,” a chap in a UCI blazer got our attention, “third place, Pellini, Switzerland…”

I didn’t hear the rest, Cav leaped on me and started jigging about more like one of my girl friends at the town dance.

“Congratulations, English,“ a clearly disappointed Mario put in offering a hand.

“Yeah thanks, it was a good race,” I noted taking his hand.
 
 

“I think it’s fair to say, Paul, that coming here to Roskilde you wouldn’t have put money on any British medals but we come away with not one but three World Champions and a medal haul of four gold, one silver and a bronze.”
 
 
What you don’t know of course is that Amanda got the Bronze in the girl’s race, the Vos girl taking the win ahead some Italian, Bronzy or something like that. Our third Arc en Ciel winner was Mum, yeah the women’s race ended in a messy sprint, a crash in the last fifty took out the front runners and Mum slipped through for the win!

“No, Hugh, and three of those medals go to one family who I have with me now, so Jenny, another title?”

“Yes, Paul, bit unexpected, lots of luck involved.”

“Luck or not you still had to be there at the finish, you’ve had a good season, some notable wins added to your palmares.”

“The whole team have done well, Tina has more podiums than me.”

“But you have the important one, this win puts you at the top of this year’s UCI rankings.”

“Really? That’s certainly a bargaining chip to play when I talk to George about next year’s contract,” Mum joked.

“But enough about mum, the star of Team GB has to be this youngster, “ Paul turned to me, “Gold in Friday’s time trial and silver today behind Mark Cavendish, you had quite a good ride in the Helvetica Tour last week, too.”

“Er yeah, I took the win,” I admitted colouring up a bit.

“And you’ve won this year’s German junior league, tell us how that came about.”

“Well, we live in Germany, the league is across events around the country, you get points in each event.”

“A little bird tells me that you’ve won or podiumed every race this year.”

Is that true? I dunno, I guess I have most times.

“Not every race but a fair few I guess.”

“We heard a rumour that your ride today was in doubt right up to this morning?”

“Yeah that’s true, I cracked my scapula when I crashed on Friday, hence the bandages, I had to pass a fitness test to race today.”

“Well we’re glad you passed, it looked like you were the one calling the shots out there.”

“Not really, I was team leader but Mark won twice in Switzerland and Josh got second and the mountains, so we work well as a team.”

“And that weather?”

“Yeah, pretty horrid, I couldn’t see my handlebars at times!”

“Well that’s all we’ve got time for I’m afraid, thank you, Drew, Jenny. From me Paul Sherwen and Hugh Porter, goodbye from Roskilde, we’ll see you on Wednesday for the weekly highlights show here on Eurosport UK.”
 
 

The atmosphere back at team GB HQ was incredible, it wasn’t just Eurosport who wanted interviews of course, and not just with me and Mum. Whilst not a single one of the senior men completed the course, British Cycling was now news worthy having grabbed more gongs than any other nation.
 
 

“You guys driving home tomorrow?” Mand asked as we picked at the buffet.

“Yeah worst luck, I’ve got school on Tuesday.”

“Me too, I’m changing schools soon though.”

“You moving?”

“Uh huh,” she confirmed with a smug look.

“Make sure you send me your new address, anywhere nice?” She’d complained before about living in Sarf Lunden.

“I’ve only been there once, some place called Dunnowe”

“Sounds like where I live, where is it, Kent?” I queried.

She rolled her eyes, “It sounds like it because it is, dumbo.”

“Huh? You’re moving to Dernau?”

“Sometimes, Gab you give blondes a bad name, I’ve been awarded the Apollinaris scholarship, Mr Brailsford told me earlier,” she beamed.

“You’re coming to Germany* to live?”

“That is the plan.” She agreed.

“To Dernau? To live?”

“Uh huh.”

“Where’re you gonna stay?”

“I heard there’s a spare room going with a local family, I think the daughter rides.”

A girl who races in Dernau? Can’t think who that can be, I don’t know everyone in town but you’d think I would’ve come across someone else who races, it’s not a big place.

“What’s her name?

“Geez, Gab, talk about dim.”

“It’s been a hard day,” I defended.

“I’ll be staying with you guys, silly!”

Maddy Bell © 15.08.2014

up
371 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Again to the win

Dahlia's picture

Thanks again so much for this awesome story. Its a winner as they all are. Besides Drew/Gabby coming out on top, or near enough, even with a broken bone. Suffering through is the mark of a true winner and champion.

Dahlia

Cool!

It's so nice to read stories about bike racing by someone who is both a good author and who knows the sport. Thanks for another great story.

Well, it looks like Gaby will

Well, it looks like Gaby will be out full force very, very soon, because I believe Mand will definitely have something to do with it, or as much as she can.

I resent that!

Pamreed's picture

We blondes are not like that!! OK sometimes a little slow on the uptake.. But otherwise very competent.

being

Maddy Bell's picture

Of the blonde persuasion I can admit to being a ditz at times but just like Gab I sometimes overlook the obvious!


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

Clever

Donna T's picture

Nice story!

Donna

Wins

Well ... If one gonna not win a race loosing to Mark Cavendish isn't a bad thing even healthy. Being injured and still podiuming should least sooth Drew's last hurrah.

And if I've got my rules right ...I believe girls can race that event. Other major races hmm some OK. Some don't.

Keep in mind drew is still juniors division at storyline timeline, so should be OK to race till after surgery occurs....he can outrace his mom at times NOW ... Some more muscle gained after taken off the puberty pills ... He'll likely tear up women's racing.
Tho that not be good for that division... Might cause other age division riders to push if you know Gaby is in a race and the top podium is questionable.

Better than expected

Jamie Lee's picture

Dave, Steve, Caro, and Chris didn't give the team much of a chance to medal at the World race. The team had been doing good at other races, but the World race pulled in racers from countries the team hadn't raced before. Plus, the team was not as experienced as other teams.

But with the results the team achieved they are now on the world stage and a team to watch in the future.

Mand moving to Germany and living with the Bonds will be interesting. How will Drew endure having Mand under foot? Will there be cons to get Gaby out and about, even though that's already slated? With the World race over, isn't it time for the surgery Drew needs to complete her transformation into girlhood?

That commentator was right about plans for a race. They sound nice, look good on paper, but hard to implement during a race. Each team has plans they want to follow so their team has a good chance to place in any race. Trouble being, other teams seldom do what's expected or a ringer will foul up everyone's plans. Drew makes a very good team leader during a race because of his ability to read a race. Give the team a general plan but let Drew decide how it's to be implemented.

Others have feelings too.