Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2935

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2935
by Angharad

Copyright© 2016 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

“Professor Watts, I’m sure this is a storm in a tea cup,” suggested Peter Whimbrel, head of campus security. “This sort of thing tends to die down after a day or two.”

“You’ve seen what constitutes abuse if not an assault on my secretary and accusations against a member of my staff.”

“Is she transgender?” he asked, “Just so I know exactly what we’re dealing with.”

“I’m unable to tell you due to confidentiality of staff records, but it’s irrelevant anyway as we have policies with promote acceptance of all minorities and outlaw discrimination, this is pure irrational hatred from a group of misguided misfits.”

“I see, might I speak with Ms Matthews?”

“I’m sure that could be arranged.” I looked at Diane who nodded. “We’ll ask her to arrange to speak with you.”

“That would be useful.” He left and I called Daddy’s office.

“Are ye invitin’ me tae lunch—aboot time.”

“If you like, Daddy, but we have something more pressing happening,” I explained what had happened and that I had a copy of the whole event on my computer. On his request I sent it by email to him. He called me back some quarter of an hour later.

“The woman they’re complainin’ o’ is she the one wha came tae dinner on Sunday?”

“Yes.”

“Whit’s wrang wi’ these people, she’s a bonnie lassie.”

“They’re extreme feminists, the sort who believe transsexual women are undercover men trying to take over the women’s movement and other ludicrous ideas. They’re paranoid, loud and aggressive. I’ve got Diane trying to find Debbie who hasn’t been seen since finishing a class an hour ago. I’m very worried about her.”

“I’m havin’ these stupid people suspended and removed frae thae campus as they’re acting contrary tae thae antidiscrimination policies. I’ve niver heard such nonsense in ma whole life. Let me know when ye find her.”

“I will, Daddy. What happens if anyone has a long enough memory to remember my status?”

“Ye’re legally female an’ a married woman an’ mother—let them try, I’ll hae them keel hauled an’ sent doon. Och, we’ve got thae press involved noo.”

I put down the phone as Diane poked her head round the door, “The Daily Mail are on the phone, would you like to speak to them,” she grinned.

“Tell them we’ll issue a statement and pass it on to them.”

“That won’t satisfy them.”

“Tell them to fuck off then.”

“Is that a quote, boss-lady?”

“Tell them I’m teaching.”

“Very good, ma’am.” She made a mock salute and left to deal with the tabloids.

My phone rang, it was John the technician. “John I’m rather busy at the moment, can I call you back?”

“Just thought you’d like to know I’ve got Debbie hiding in the technician’s office.”

“Keep her there, I’m on my way.”

“We’ve found a problem in the technician’s room, I’ll be back later.”

Diane looked at me for a moment, then nodded. “I’ll hold the fort, and say the university will release a statement in due course.”

“I’ll buy you lunch when all this is over.”

“For a whole week?”

“My husband is the millionaire, not me.” Her response was to laugh loudly.

I made my way round to the labs as quickly as I could without being followed—as far as I knew. I knocked as I got there and John opened the door. “What’s the problem with this computer?” I said loudly and he replied that he’d show me.

Debbie was hiding behind a filing cabinet and she was red eyed with mascara streaks down her cheeks. I heard John lock the door. “Look ladies, I’ll go and play outside, if you need me, just yell.” Discretion being the better part of valour, he left me alone with Debbie.

I gave her a hug. “What am I going to do?” she said bursting into tears.

When she’d calmed down, I asked her, “Who’ve you pissed off in Sussex?”

“Why?” she asked looking puzzled.

“I was shown an email purporting to come from there notifying the TERFs here about you. While I’m aware that prejudice doesn’t need reasons or excuses, I wondered if there was anything I should be aware of.”

“There was someone there who recognised me from before my transition.”

“At Sussex?”

“Yes.”

“Who was it?”

“Ailsa Gregory.”

“Who’s she?”

“She’s doing a PhD there in botany.”

“A flower arranger,” I said and she snorted, “so what happened exactly?”

“Nothing much, I was doing some maternity leave cover and a guy from microbiol had asked me out. We were going out that evening and Ailsa told him about me, he texted me to say he wasn’t gay and didn’t date boys.” She burst into tears again. “Then about a week later, the TERFs there started to hassle me and Edmond said he thought I’d be safer with you until it blew over.”

That’s why he was so helpful—the rat—he could have told me what was happening there.

“You haven’t done anything to annoy the Taliban here, have you?”

“No, I’m just trying to do my job and this happened.”

“Okay, the university will be making a statement supporting you and quoting our anti discrimination policies, which the TERFs are in breach of. The VC has asked for the complainants to be suspended—from the yard arm, I think. Sadly the tabloids have picked up the story.”

“Which one?”

“The Daily Mail phoned my office just before I left there.”

“Oh, Lucy Meadows all over again, is it?”

“Who?” I asked not familiar with the name.

“A transgendered teacher who was hounded out of her job by some parents egged on by the Mail.”

“I think I saw an article about it in the Guardian ages ago. Did you know her?”

“Not personally.”

“She took her own life—is that the one?”

She nodded and the tears started again, “I’m not going to let them pressure me into doing that, I’ll kill myself first.” She didn’t notice what she’d just said. I ignored it and hugged her again.

“Stay here, I’ll ask John to make you some tea and I’ll send over a sandwich.”

“I’m not hungry, but thanks for the thought.”

“I’ll take you back to my place when I go later on. You’ll be safer there.”

“I do appreciate all you’re doing but I don’t want to bring shame on you and your girls.”

“Shame?” I gasped. “The shame belongs to those who are harassing you for no good reason.”

“Isn’t being transsexual reason enough?”

“Not these days, it’s almost mainstream, besides there are laws and policies about discrimination against transgender students or staff. The university is very hot on both of those.”

“Perhaps I should just disappear?” she looked at the floor refusing eye contact with me. “Sorry to have caused you so much trouble.”

I grabbed her and shook her. “Are you going to let that young teacher die in vain?”

“I can’t help her can I?”

“You can help stamp out the prejudice which they allege caused her death.”

“What can I do against such powerful enemies?”

“Plenty—stand and fight—we’ll all help you. Show these brainless bigots up for what they are—shameful cowards. Stand and fight and we’ll stand with you. It’s time this sort of prejudice was confined to history.”

She sat sniffing for a moment then she sniffed very hard and standing up said, “Okay, tell me what to do.”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
266 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Go Cathy!

kristin's picture

I see a fight brewing, but I hope she doesn't hold Cathy's lack of disclosure against her. As usual, great writing and I always enjoy my hit of wafes and strays after a rotten day at work. :)

kristyn nichols

That's right! I am (new)woman

That's right! I am (new)woman, hear me ROAR!!

Come on Debbie, show everyone what you're made of, you're transgendered and had the guts and drive to cross the divide and weather mainstream opinion, which shows you have what it takes. It's only given to the brave to be able to do this, so we know you have what it takes.

Powerful stuff Ang. It's sad there are always ignorants and bigots with tiny teeny minds. Now how to find out who is manipulating these ninkopoops for their own gain....

Thanks,
Jo-Anne

Meaning of TERFs

I couldn't find this in the story, so I went and played in Google's yard for a while. Apparently, TERFs are "Trans-Exclusionary Radical Feminists." Just in case anyone is as uninformed as I was.

And, I tripped over this page in my travels. It's about some TERFs. If you don't want to be angry for the next 72 hours, don't read it: http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/TERF I should add that the author is most definitely NOT a TERF and is pretty condemnatory of them.

TERF Sexual Orientation

My best answer should be something along the lines of, "I don't know and I don't care," but it's often hard to leave well enough alone, isn't it? I mean, really, what business is it of anyone who's not a TERF, unless you were planning to date one?

But, if we're just going to talk smack, I suppose there's a significant overlap with that population that has been characterized as "man haters," which while technically not the same as "radical lesbians," probably overlaps that as well.

There are lots of reasons someone might have come to hate men. Physical abuse, rape, bullying, domineering, misogyny. But hating one gender is not the same as being sexually attracted to the other. Being bitter and depressed is not a condition limited to women, either. There are men who blame women for all their own ills. Both treat the other with anger and contempt.

Sometimes this has something to do with sexual orientation, but I'm forced to believe that perhaps more often, it doesn't. In any event, being filled with vitriol is generally indicative of only one thing: that someone needs to work through this with a good therapist to stop it from eating them up.

Bigoted dummies.

TERFS., are unusual in that they lie further outside the usual parameters of tolerance to be found in most women than the tolerance to be found in the heterosexual community as a whole. I've found that by and large, most women seem to be accepting of transgendered people and I personally ascribe it to women being more in touch with the bodies, genders and sexualities than men. However there is this very small minority who are extremely vociferous and stupid. That voice and stupidity bring danger to transgendered people when such bigots think they have the whip hand.
Kicking them out of 'Uni' is perhaps one of the best ways to constrain their activities if those activities endanger others howsoever, or wheresoever, or whensoever.
Still lovin' this Ang.

bev_1.jpg

Cathy's dander is up now!

Rhona McCloud's picture

Whether acknowledged or not there is part of Cathy that loves a fight and I can see this one producing public fireworks. She has of course years ago decorously outed herself in public but people forget. Now however the tabloids are having to change and this time she could be front page news as a transgender spokeswoman.

Rhona McCloud

GO Cathy!

Show these brainless bigots up for what they are!

And I sure hope she can keep Debbie's spirits up as she does. Cathy's history is almost sure to come out if the tabloids get into the act and she makes statements. Good if Tom can be the spokesperson but the family needs to be prepared for more of the same as they've dealt with before.

Same neanderthal group

Ere across the pond "Christians" very radical pseudo ones, are stirring up a very hateful mess. I hope that we do not have suicides because of it. Those around me are being extremely supportive, else it might be me.

Gwen

Prejudice is a learned response......

D. Eden's picture

Passed down from one generation to another. The best way to combat it is education.

Unfortunately for the rest of us, stupidity is hereditary. Add in the fact that the ignorant tend to outbreed the intelligent, and we are fighting an uphill battle.

Oh well, I always did like a good brawl in a target rich environment.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Problem with education here is

that the radical religious bigots homeschool their kids and send them to "xyz Christian University" where the programming continues. The kids have no chance to understand that the whole world doesn't necessarily agree with the view they're receiving from their parents and companions at church, home, school.

Once again

the press rear their ugly heads and poke their nose in where its not wanted ... Maybe if they find out Cathy is involved they might decide this is one Lady they have no wish to take on... Perhaps thats a forlorn hope given the Daily Mail's love of stories that do not fit their myopic view of the UK , All i would say is if they do decide there is a story there they had better get their facts right .... or have very deep pockets ..

Kirri

What she said.

What she said.
Wouldn't this be a good time to have an unveiling of the Cameron T-girls? The poor kid is so torn apart, she's thinking of suicide.

Karen