Charlotte's Tale part 21

Printer-friendly version


Charlotte’s Tale–part 21

by Angharad

lipstic-clipart-picture9.gif

I slumped into the house and my mother came out of the kitchen as I did so. “What’s the matter, darling?” she asked but I didn’t want to talk, I was too upset. I ignored her and went up to my room and shut the door.

Thinking back to the day which had precipitated this whole business and what I failed to do then—I’d failed. If only I’d killed myself then none of this would have happened, possibly even my dad would still be alive and they could have been there for each other, my parents that is. Obviously, that was the solution, I had to die. If Jane did expose me to all and sundry tomorrow, I might as well be dead because I really would be a pariah and the friends I was beginning to make, like Suzy, would all be gone. Even if they still wanted to be friends, they’d suffer by association.

I’d leave a note blaming Jane as the cause of my demise saying that I’d opted not to accede to her blackmail and commit crimes. I’d wait for my mother to go to bed and then I’d do it. Before then, I’d say goodbye to Suzy, she’s been nice to me and I’d like to say goodbye, but without it sounding final in case she twigs what’s going on.

“Charlotte, what’s wrong?” asked my mother knocking on my door and barging in.

“Nothing, why?”

“You ignored me downstairs.”

“Sorry, was thinking about something.”

“What was so all consuming you went temporarily deaf?”

“Oh I went to see Mrs Appleby.”

“Who’s she?”

“The music teacher.”

“And?”

“She asked me to sing for her.”

“Just like that?”

“Well no, not quite, she asked what I wanted as she didn’t recognise me. When I told her she didn’t believe me and made me sing for her. Then she cried when I did.”

“She cried?”

“Yeah, I did Rutter’s Pie Jesu.”

“Didn’t she like it?”

“It wasn’t my best rendition, but she said it was okay, then she wouldn’t believe my name and then she wouldn’t believe it was me who sang in the Amnesty concert with Cliff Richard. I told her I was disguised and finally she believed me.”

“So what happens next?”

I shrugged, “I dunno, Mummy, she started crying and I had to go to Chemistry.”

“Perhaps I’ll ring her tomorrow and see how she is.”

“Dunno, Mummy, that tends to complicate things.”

“Really?”

I nodded, besides she might be a bit busy tomorrow when she finds me.

“Are you off to singing practice tonight?”

“Nah, I’m not going tonight.”

“Have you told Mr King?”

“No, I forgot.”

“Then you’d better go and do it.”

“Can’t you, Mummy—tell them I’m not well.”

“What’s wrong with you?”

“Just don’t feel much like singing,” I shrugged.

“Why don’t you want to sing—you love to sing.”

“Not tonight I don’t—all right?”

“Now tell me what’s really wrong.”

“Nothing, all right?”

“Charlotte, I know you inside out—there is something worrying you. As your mother I feel I have a right to know, because if I can help you know I will. Now what is bothering you?”

I felt my eyes brimming with tears, “You can’t help me, nobody can.” Then I lost it and burst into tears and she hugged me.

“Please tell me,” she pleaded as I cried in her arms.

“I love you, Mummy and I don’t want to die.”

“Die? Why should you die, sweetheart? You’re not going to die.”

“I have to, it’s the only way out of this mess.”

“What on earth could be so bad that...Oh, somebody in school knows about you?”

I nodded.

“Okay, I’ll speak to the headmistress.”

“No, it’s Jane, she’s going to tell everyone—I just can’t cope with it. I’d rather be dead.”

My mother hugged me and stroked the back of my hair and neck, “Hush now, I’ll speak to her mother, I’m sure she’ll be able to stop her.”

“You won’t, she’s evil.”

“She’s certainly a troubled young woman but I’m sure we can stop her.”

“You won’t—unless you kill her. That’s why I have to die, Mummy.”

“Charlotte, listen to me. No one has to die. This is perfectly soluble without anyone getting hurt. Now tell me what did Jane say to you?”

“She threatened me with telling everyone my real name was James and I was a boy, she wanted me to steal for her but that just gives her more power over me, so I refused.”

“That was very brave of you, my darling girl. Come and have a cup of tea and dry your eyes and I’ll speak with Myrna Astley.”

She arranged to go and see Jane’s mum and made me go to my singing practice while she did so, presumably because she knew I’d be safe with Mr King and Miss Daws. Worse still, I had to go in my school uniform—to my old school—I hope no one recognised me.

They didn’t and it soon became obvious to Mr King that something was bothering me as my timing was all off and my voice was total rubbish. “What’s up with you tonight, Charlotte?”

“Dunno, sir.”

“You’re not on?” are you asked Miss Daws quietly.

“What?” I gasped when I realised what she’d asked.

“I just wondered, you’re so normal as a girl and it does affect some people’s voices.”

“No—okay, I’ll tell you.” I sat down and told them about my fear of Jane Astley and what a crazy she was. I told them of her threat to expose me unless I shoplifted for her and that I’d refused and now awaited the disaster tomorrow was bound to be.

Miss Daws looked appalled and I thought old Kingy was about to blow a fuse. I’ve never seen him appear so angry. “We’ll see about that,” he said and stormed off.

“Where’s he gone?” I asked Phyllis Daws who looked at me and shrugged.

He returned some fifteen minutes later. “I’ve spoken to your headmistress and I’m going to see her as soon as I’ve taken you home, Charlotte. This sort of thing is totally unacceptable.”

When I got home, my mother’s car still wasn’t there and I did think if I hurried I could just about kill myself while the garage was empty. But the more I thought about it, the less I could do it. I was all my mother had. If I died she’d have no reason to live either and I couldn’t do that to her. I’d just have to cope with whatever Jane did or said.

I boiled the kettle and sat in the kitchen. I tried to start my homework but I couldn’t concentrate and then—Mummy came in and woke me up. I’d fallen asleep at the kitchen table. My head was pounding and Mummy told me to go to bed but I needed to know what she’d done.

“I had a most interesting conversation with Jane’s mother. Jane was out so she called Simon in and after pretending he didn’t know what we were on about he told his mother just what Jane was up to. She’d even blackmailed him into stealing for her. Mrs Astley was shocked. She searched Jane’s room and found all sorts of stuff that shouldn’t be there. She called the headmistress and then the police.”

“The police?” I gasped.

“Yes and I agreed with her. We arranged to meet at the school where Ron King was already talking to Mrs Edmonds, they know each other quite well apparently. The upshot was, Jane has been suspended and pending police enquiries facing charges about theft and conspiracy to steal. She’s likely to end up being sent to a juvenile facility.”

“Won’t that just make her worse?”

“I don’t know, darling, but at least she’ll be out of your hair for a year or two.”

“Yeah bearing a grudge the size of Australia, she’ll probably kill me the next time we meet.”

“Hopefully she’ll get some therapy while she’s away.”

“You don’t really believe that, do you?”

She looked at me then said, “I don’t know, probably not, besides I think she’s got something inside that pretty little head that is very twisted.”

I eventually went to bed but didn’t sleep much all night and wondered if I could go sick. I was told I was going—end of discussion. I quickly called Suzy and told her what I knew.

“Crikey Charlotte, are we going to be free of her?”

“I don’t know, I’m not holding my breath, and the delightful Daisy was with her when she threatened me.”

“Has anyone stopped her?”

“Who? Daisy?”

“Yes—if she’s still in school, she might be Jane’s contingency plan.”

“Oh no, what shall I do?” I felt tears running down my face.

“I don’t know, girl friend, but I’ll be there for you—like always.”

“Thanks but is that a good idea—for your reputation I mean?”

“I’m getting used to it, besides I hope you’d do the same for me, wouldn’t you?”

“I would, absolutely.”

“Well then, see you later.”

I couldn’t face breakfast and managed to drink some milk instead. Even then I was sick and had to go and brush my teeth. Mummy made me do my hair before we left because it was such a mess, but I really didn’t care. Nobody was ever going to look at me again anyway.

When I was in school people kept coming up and asking if I was okay. So I must have looked rough. I kept searching for Suzy or Daisy the former for support and the latter for wondering when the bomb would drop.

I caught up with Suzy in between lessons. Usually she’s so neat and tidy but today her tights were laddered and she had a small tear in her skirt and some scratches on her face. “What happened to you?”

“I’ll tell you later.” She hurried off before I could find out what she meant.

There was no sign of Jane but then she’d been suspended anyway. At lunch, I caught up with Suzy. She’d managed to change her tights and tack the small tear in her skirt. “What happened?” I asked.

“Shall we say I happened to bump into a certain garden weed and persuaded her to keep her precious petals closed or she might end up on the compost heap.”

I looked at her for a moment—weed, eh? Then the penny dropped. Weed = daisy = Daisy, Jane’s friend.

“I haven’t seen her all morning.”

“I think she decided to stay home this morning.”

“She decided?”

“Well I might have helped her a bit.”

“You fought her?”

“Shall we say my powers of persuasion took a moment or two to take effect and she then agreed with me.”

“What if she tells the school you hit her?”

“I’ll say she started it and I just defended myself.”

“Thank you.” I hugged her and pecked her on the cheek.

“You sure you’re not...?”

“No.”

“Pity.” We hugged again and got some lunch.

After lunch I was sent for by the headmistress, my mother was there as well. I felt like I was a laboratory specimen. “Charlotte, none of us had any idea that Jane Astley was up to her old tricks again and was even worse this time around. Neither were we aware that she had a whole group of victims who she had doing illegal things for her. Thank you and your mother for bringing it to our attention. As the police are involved, I can’t tell you any more other than you should never have to fear her in this school again as I’ve set in chain a move to have her permanently excluded.”

“You can’t stop her or Daisy revealing my secret, can you?”

“Daisy hasn’t appeared in school this morning, it appears she slipped and fell on the way to school and bruised her face. I’m seeing her and her mother tomorrow and I shall make it quite clear that we have a policy of equality and diversity here and that means we accept and protect transgender and gay students and any discrimination shown by other students could result in suspension or exclusion.

“I’m sure it’s been a very trying day for you, so I’m letting you go off early with your mother, but you are not to worry, we’ll do all we can to protect you. Oh, Mrs Appleby suggested I ask you to perform Pie Jesu in assembly one day. She thinks very highly of your singing. Perhaps when things calm down, we could discuss it?”

I agreed but only to get out of her office.

“Okay, sweetheart?” asked my mother as we drove home.

“What’s going to happen to Jane?” I still felt her shadow around me.

“That’s for the law to decide, her mother has assured me that she will not be allowed to threaten or contact you—but Simon is still allowed to see you.”

“That’s good,” I said smiling more than I felt.

“What happened to Daisy?”

“Mrs Edmonds said she fell over coming to school.”

“Not helped by one of your friends was it?”

“Oh I doubt it, none of them are into gardening as far as I know.”

“Gardening? Daisy—oh yes, very funny.”

I just sat there and smirked.

up
193 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Great to See A New Charlotte

Happy to see a new episode and Charlotte's problems with Jane resolved. Thanks Angharad.

Thank you,Angharad,

This has always been my favorite all time story ,wonderful to have it back as I enjoyed it so much.

ALISON

Sadly,

Angharad's picture

it would appear not to be a view shared by many.

Angharad

It's been so long

I was contemplating reading the whole blinkin tale again because i don't remember what was what. I'll prolly do that when I finish reading 50 shades trilogy again.

Gwen

I'm with Gwen and then some.

Not only am I utterly lost and confused and need to start over... I don't really want to go through that again! So while I'm sure this story is still really good, I'm going to need to start over to enjoy it, and seeing how long it takes to update, I'll be more likely to wait until it's over to start it and finish it all in one go. I'm sorry if that upsets you Ang, but it's just how I am when it comes to choosing what to read, I prefer things that are likely to stay fresh in my mind until they're finished. It's not like there's any shortage of good stories...

Abigail Drew.

Not True, Angharad

joannebarbarella's picture

The only problem is that it's been 15 months between chapters and people forget. Chapter 20 scored about 3500 hits, which is not exactly shabby.

I enjoyed seeing Jane and Daisy getting their come-uppance, even though I'm sure that's not the end of the story

Go Suzy

Jamie Lee's picture

Oh goody, Jane finally got caught with her hand in the cookie jar. I did say in a previous post that it was time to get mom involved, to show how things are done in the big leagues. And now Jane will find out.

Oh go Suzy!! Doing a little gardening convincing the weeds not to grow. And Daisy slipped on her way to school and brushed her face? Priceless.

I saw chapter 21, read a bit and went off looking for chapter 1. I'm sure glad I did. This is a terrific story, filled with tragedies, blossoming love, and a person who rose above it all. It also showed how a young person realized she was needed more than the act she wished to commit.

I know from experience how easy it is to lose track of good stories; I recently regained one such story. If a writer enjoys writing a particular story, then keep writing that story until it's end. Those who enjoy the story will once again find it and continue where they left off.

This chapter could be the end of Charlotte's story, since the clever little girl found she wasn't as clever as she thought, and is now out of the picture. But more could be said about her experiences at her new school, her experiences with both Simon and Suzy, her singing, the maturity of the mother daughter relationship, and her maturity as Charlotte.

However it turns out, this is one gobsmacking story. And very well done.

Others have feelings too.

Jane's comeuppance

Jane picked the wrong person to "force" to do her dirty deeds, i.e., stealing. Charlotte did the right thing by telling her mother. Her mother then went and informed Jane's mother; at the same time, Charlotte told Mr. King, and he then informed the headmistress at St. Margaret's. The end result was Jane being suspended, then arrested; I hope she ends up getting the maximum possible sentence, as she has repeatedly bullied other kids into committing thefts so as to control them. Jane's only concern is for herself, everything she does is for her own benefit.

Suzy dealt with Daisy, making it clear that she would not be allowed to continue Jane's activities/programs of bullying. The idea of Suzy doing a bit of gardening re Daisy was quite appropriate, hopefully Daisy might learn from the experience and straighten herself out.

I have to agree that there is much more that could be added to the story, and I would definitely like to see it continue.

Very good story. recommend reading.

I had never heard of Charlotte's Tale episode popped into the queue. I have now read it from the start.
I like it very much.

Anne Margarete

New Year's Wish!

Hi, another year has dribbled by and a favorite, although yet unfinished, story languishes on my hard drive. Pretty please, do consider putting the finishing touches on this wonderful tale. Hugs from the USA, where even a jerk can become president.

Carol Anne

May I agree with Carol Anne..

Mantori's picture

May I agree with Carol Anne... Great awesome AMAZING story... No fullfilling ending... This really REALLY REALLY needs an ending

PLEASSSSSSSSSSSE!!!!!!!

"Life in general is a fuck up,
but it is the rare moments of beauty and peace
in between the chaos,
That makes it worth living."
- Tertia Hill

Charlotte's tale

Another great story from Angharad. After the anniversary I've been rediscovering some classics.

Time is the longest distance to your destination.

Please finish this!

Please, please finish this incredibly amazing story!

GeenaGurl in MA

I agree...

With the last 5 most recent commenters, it would be great if you could see yourself or your muse clear to finish this wonderful tale. Lets hope that the necessary creative juices can start to flow again to make this happen.
Stay safe
‘T’

Such a lovely story

I found this by accident, and then binge read the entire thing from the 1st to the last chapter you posted.... this is one of the most amazing stories, it sooo reminds me of a tale my cousin told me, she was gay in high school in the 80s.... omg the drama she lived through and never really told to us, then to read your story... it filled in so many of the holes in my understanding, I knew it was really bad for a lot of kids... but Charlette omg she went through so much and you're writing of her and her adventures in teenage drama, it was so spot on, made me remember my school years laughs... ya boy crazy. giggles... anyway =]

I know it's been ages, but could you please ask your muse if she could please consider visiting Charlette again?? It would mean so much to so many of us. =]

Thank you,
Minka

great story

lisa charlene's picture

i took the time to read it from the beginning its a wonderful story please continue it .