A New Job Twist Part 1

Printer-friendly version

Part One

I walk into a dark bar that Monday afternoon. My eyes attempt to see anything as they try to adjust to the darkness. I hear a voice from behind the bar, but do not see it’s owner. “Can I help you, Sir?” I hear him again. I walk toward the voice. I can almost hear an exasperated sigh, before I finally speak. “I am sorry. It is so bright outside and my glasses couldn’t adjust to the change in light. I was supposed to meet with Gary from Fashionable Sales Inc.” He pounds once on the bar, then says, “That’s okay. Yes, Mr. Nichols has reserved the room in the back. You may go back there right away.”

The room is dark. The tables have been placed all to the other side of the room. In a booth at the end is a balding man sitting alone with a water and two menus at his table. I walk toward him. Immediately, he stands up and extends his hand. “You must be Michael. It is a pleasure to meet you.” He directs me to sit. “Feel free to order any drink or food from the menu. I do not want to talk business until after the meal is finished.” With that the bartender walks back into the room. “Gentlemen, would you like anything to drink?”

I order a Diet Pepsi while he sticks with his water. I order a cheeseburger with fries and he orders a salad with grilled chicken – hold the cheese. Can you imagine asking the cook to hold the cheese in Wisconsin? Then Gary says to the bartender after the food is gone and the plates are taken. “Here is some money for the food, the room, and all your trouble. Please do not let us be disturbed for the next hour.”
I wasn’t sure it would take an hour. I wasn’t that interested in a sales job. I had a good pencil pushing job. I made the best money I had made in my life. I had a decent enough home for us, and all that I really needed. But I knew that I would hear the pitch because I got a free meal.

Gary began:

Thank you, Michael for your time. I am glad that I got a chance to meet you. I want you to know that Fashionable Sales Inc is a great company to work for. As our name states, we are sales, but that is just one portion of our company. We deal in Law, fashion, and lobbies for politics. If you have an interest, we have many places for you.

But I am sure you are interested in what matters the most: money. Well, as a recruiter for Fashionable Sales, Inc I am authorized to offer you a yearly salary of $125,000.

He takes a stop, just as I nearly snort the remainder of my Diet Pepsi. I am about to say – that is after sales and commissions right, when he continues.

Fashionable Sales does not – I mean – does not pay its employees based on the commissions they earn from sales. We will be asking a commitment from you and your family. We want to commit to our workers as well. We offer a very impressive health plan with benefits. There are no co-pays on the premiums. The deductible is $250.

Okay, I snorted again. I was floored. And then Gary went right on.

We also train our workers to move up in the company. Never has any CEO in our chain or any other come from outside of the ranks of those who stood where you stand now. Not only do we say that we will provide opportunity for advancement, we guarantee at least advancement to Recruiter and new sales manager.

As he stops this time, I interrupt him with some of the first questions that had been floating in my mind for a time.

Gary, I am flattered by your company’s interest, but I do not understand why I would be found in a narrow search of individuals. I am highly underqualified for what you suggest. I would normally tell others that I am a hard worker who deserves what he gets, but I have comfortably given myself a job that doesn’t make me rich, but I don’t have to work hard either. I fear you would only be disappointed with me.

Gary looks at me and motions with his hand and begins to stand.

Michael, I want to show you something. I am going to move the table between us in such a way that you will be pinned there. I do not want to hurt you. But I am about to do something. No matter what happens or what you see – do not touch me.

I look at him with a little nervousness and a severe frown with his strange request. He reaches into his suit jacket and pulls out a jewelry box.

He opens it up on the far side of the table. He motions me to stay clear. Then, he puts on leather gloves, and opens the box. Inside is a silver necklace with a twisted circle. Inside of that twisted circle is a diamond. He takes up the necklace and puts it around his neck.
Suddenly, Gary seems to swirl and move and twist. In a moment or two’s time, Gary is gone. Standing in his place is someone else. With a sexy and husky voice, this woman wearing Gary’s clothes crosses her arms and says, “My name is Gerry, Michael.”

My mouth must have dropped to the table and beyond that to the floor. I stared at the beauty standing before me. Even without the revealing curvaceous clothes that belonged on that body, I could feel a stirring in my pants.

“Michael, I can see your reaction. It is very natural to me and all those who work for Fashionable and its associate companies. We only hire men, but they are all women – just as you see I am. And we cannot hire just any man. We need a man who has a high spiritual energy connected to them. We need to hire men who have not physically contacted any of our agents. You see, if I touched you, everything would be over. You would be under my control. It could ruin your marriage and life. And you would no longer be fitting material for us. Do you understand why now we need you, Michael?”

Her arms reach up over and behind her long gorgeous locks of hair and gently pull the necklace off her skin and body. The room twists and swerves around her. Then gentle bald Gary sits before me, putting the gem into its case. He continues.

"Have you ever wondered what it would be like to enjoy both worlds? Wouldn’t you like to go out in that body with clothes to match? You could meet a man and provide for our company, while also taking care of your family. You would make far more than you could ever dream with us."

Dumbfounded, I have only one really bad answer for Gary or Gerry. “I need to talk it over with my wife.”

up
246 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

And just why would he want to

And just why would he want to talk it over with his wife? Take the necklace, do the job, and then show her the money. I doubt she will care where it comes from as long as it is all legal. Besides, she just may like having a girlfriend to go shopping with.

An interesting thought.

An interesting thought. Hopefully, you will see the answer in Michael's life and personality.

Ominous?

That "under my control" sounds ominous to me. Then again, Gary/Gerry seemingly wouldn't have warned Michael about it if he had nefarious plans. (I guess that part doesn't carry over to the Gary persona, since he and Michael shook hands at the start of the interview.)

It would appear, given law and political lobbying as the company business, that what they have in mind is to use their "under my control" powers to win litigation and get laws passed that advance their interests, whatever those turn out to be. And if Michael decides he doesn't like those aims, he's just been warned that he could wind up on the receiving end of that control rather than the giving end.

(That's assuming Gary's being truthful about all this and not bluffing. But we don't have any reason at this point to assume otherwise.)

I have an idea where this might be headed, but it's probably too much of a spoiler to insert here. (Hint: "Mr. Nichols"?) On the other hand, the story byline matching the protagonist's name may indicate that I'm way too concerned about what Michael's setting himself (or being set up) for.

Eric