Sara's Story Justice or Vengeance Chapter 4

Printer-friendly version

The scene: The Home That Love Built.
The players: Cathilynn and Sam.

“I just don't know Sam.” Cathilynn said confusedly. “I mean, Sara deserves justice for what was done to her, and I DO want those who are responsible to be punished, but how far is TOO far? Do I want them dead? Do I want them punished under the law? Is the law capable of doing what needs to be done? Oh Sam! I am SO torn about all this!”

“Cath, speaking as a lawyer, I want to see the law brought down on those gang bastards, but I don't think the law has enough hard evidence to charge any of them, or to even arrest them at this point. As much as I hate the thought of going outside the law, I really believe it's the only way to end the threat the gang represents, and the only way they'll be truly punished.”

“So we wait to see if that mysterious contact gets in touch and just turn them loose on the gang with no oversight or controls? Sam, I am so uncomfortable with that thought. This Home was built by love. It was built to try to address some of the injustices that happen to Trans kids and adults, but it's primary reason is love. To give free rein to some mysterious person or persons to bring hellfire and brimstone down on some wannabe gangsters goes against everything this Home and, for that matter, I believe in.”

“Cathilynn. You understand that I cannot be a part of this, don't you? I'd be risking my career and by association, this Home and you if it ever got out that I knew about this and did nothing to stop it. I've been your friend since we were both in school and I've been by your side every step of the way while you fought to make the Home reality. Your courage and belief in what's right is just one of the many things that has kept me right where I am and even if this goes a bad way, I will not waver from my personal commitment to you.”

“I know, Sam. You standing right with me all the way through school and my eventual transition has made who I am and what the home has become, so much easier for me.”

“Ah Cathy. Things might have been so different for us, but we both know that neither of us is what the other desires. I've accepted that we can't ever be more than the friends we are, but sometimes... sometimes I can't help but wish and wonder, 'what if,' you know?”

“Yes Sam, I DO know, but we've been all over that ground. If I could ever give my heart to a man, you'd be the one, but we're off the subject here. Lets go get some lunch and talk more about this other matter, shall we?”

“Like the man said in that movie, 'As you wish.' Cathy.”

Meanwhile, across town:

Brett is talking with David on the phone.

“So you understand, David. You have to figure a way for us to spy on the gang, either electronically or in person, without them knowing about it. We have to get some proof, even if it wouldn't stand up in court.”

“Yeah Brett. I got it, okay? Have I ever let you down? I can get in and out of their hideout and they'll never know I was there, but you gotta figure out someway to get them distracted. All I need is five or ten minutes to wire that dump so they won't even be able to fart without us knowing about it. I already have a plan to wire their cars with trackers and transmitters, so all I need to finish up is to plant cameras and mikes in their hideout. Don't you worry about it. You got hold of Sonya, right?”

“Yeah. She'll be coming in within the next hour or so. She's been briefed and knows the situation. Her martial arts and weapons know-how will be critical to our success. I've made initial contact with this Cathilynn person... anonymously of course, and I don't think she'll want what we might have to do. 'Number one' thinks we might want to go the favor route instead of getting paid for this job. That way there's no paper trail or money trail for the authorities to follow.”

“Listen Brett... with what those punks did to that kid, I'd be inclined to do this job for free. Anyone who'd do that to a poor kid like this Sara, deserves no mercy as far as I'm concerned. I'm in for whatever we gotta do to bring them down.”

“Okay David. I knew you'd feel that way. To tell you the truth, I pretty much feel the same way, and I know that Sonya will love doing her thing on those punks. One other thing... we gotta make sure that another gang doesn't move into the SSB turf once we're taken them out of circulation. I know for a fact that there is at least one other gang who wants the SSB turf... the Northsiders.”

“Yeah Brett. I already got eyes and ears on their place and vehicles. I also have taps on their computers and phones. Don't ask me how. It's better you don't know everything about how I do my wizardry. Makes you guys appreciate me more. I got a feeling that, once they see what happens to the SSBs, they'll stay away from anything that has to do with that Home or anyone who goes to it. I'm gonna plant some warnings on their computers once the job is done.”

“Okay David. Good job as always. I have things to do. Stay in touch.”

Brett then went to his meeting with Cathilynn.

She met with Brett alone, without Sam. Sam was standing by his phone and could reach Cathilynn inside of two minutes if he had to, but he knew that this was something she had to do for and by herself. He didn't like it, but he knew that Cathilynn needed this.

Brett used some electronics to disguise his voice and wore all black clothing including a head mask. They met in an out of the way place, both staying in their own cars.

“Okay lady,” Brett said. “Here's the deal. We take care of the gang by whatever way we see fit. This gives you some deniability. Most of the time we get paid, and paid very well to do what we do and we are damned good at it. Sometimes though, we trade favors. A job for a favor. Never anything illegal though, and you always have the option of saying no, but that would still leave you owing a favor, understand?”

“Yes, I get it. I don't like this at all, but I can't see another way. Sara was... special to me. She touched my heart and took a piece of it with her when she died, killed by those animals! I don't want to know who you are and I don't want to know what you are going to do with those bastards. As for your payment...I choose the favor option. If and when you need my favor, whoever you send should say; 'The SSB is gone. It's time to repay.' That way I'll know it's your group that is asking for the favor.”

“Consider our business complete then. We won't contact you again.” and Brett drove away. Cathilynn just sat there in her car for several minutes, too frightened and disgusted with herself for what she'd just done. Then she called Sam to let him know she was okay.

“Sam, it's done. I'm okay, but I need you to stay with me tonight. I don't want to be alone after what I just did.”

“Cathy, you have but to ask. I've stayed at your side all these years and I'll be damned if I'll waver from there now. I'll meet you back at The Home. Go straight there, okay?”

“Okay Sam... thank you.” She hung up and began to drive home, trying not to break down and cry.

TBC

From the author. This story is very difficult for me to write. I beg you readers to bear with me while I try to make it interesting and appropriate. As I'm sure you know, the Cathilynn character is closely based on myself and I find vengeance an easy concept to imagine, but very difficult to jibe with the character of Cathilynn, and very difficult to write. I asked for some assistance, but after an initial response, nothing was forthcoming, so finally decided to try it alone.

I'll try to do my best and I don't want to disappoint you readers, but I might do just that. Maybe I should have never started this part of Sara's Story, but having begun, I will do my best to finish it. Thank you to all of you who messaged and commented, both on the original story and on this sequel. You are the only reason I write at all.

Catherine Linda Michel

up
111 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos