Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2908

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2908
by Angharad

Copyright© 2016 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

We stood by the car while the women disembarked from the coach. Danielle seemed somewhat disconsolate and she was limping as she came towards us. She waved to one or two of the others and then got to us. Hannah took her bag and I held the door as Danielle climbed into the people carrier.

“What happened?” I asked after sitting in the car.

“I got targeted.”

“’Cos you’re the best player,” piped Hannah from behind.

“The third time I got taken down, my ankle twisted under me. She got sent off and I got substituted.”

“Did you score?” asked Hannah.

“Only twice today.”

“Twice?,” Shrieked Hannah doing further damage to my hearing.

“Yeah, the last one shoulda been number three.”

“How was that?” I asked reversing the car out of its parking space.

“I usually take the penalties, but I couldn’t stand.”

“The other two weren’t, like penalties, were they?”

“They all count,” Danni reminded Hannah.

“Yeah, but it’s not as difficult as dribbling past defenders is it?”

“You seem to know a lot about soccer,” I suggested.

“I used to play in my other school.”

“Why don’t you now?” I asked unaware of this.

“Nobody asked me an’ I’m not as good as Danni an’ Trish.”

“How d’you know?”

“I seen ’em play, Mummy.”

“Well I think you should try and see if you can get into the team eventually.”

“I dunno, Mummy, I’ll think about it.”

“How’s the ankle, kiddo?”

“Easing, thanks,” she smiled at me.

“Why do referees allow targeting to happen?” I asked as I drove homewards.

“It’s quite legit and if they have three on me, we have a two overlap.”

“How many did you score?”

“Two, I told you already.”

“No all together.”

“Oh six, I think.”

“Six?” shrieked Hannah even louder than before and probably waking dormice from their hibernation for twenty miles around.

“Yeah, I scored two and made two of the others, the last two were scored after I went off, one from the penalty I shoulda taken.”

“I glad to learn you didn’t retaliate to those who fouled you.”

“Too busy rollin’ about on the ground. It bloody ’urt.”

“Why do they have to play dirty? They’re supposed to be young ladies.”

Hannah and Danielle nearly fell of their seats laughing.

“Some of them would make Neanderthals looked civilised.”

“They were.”

“What?” said Danni.

“Yes, there’s evidence to suggest they were quite a bit more sophisticated than we gave credit, for instance, they buried their dead with funerary goods.”

“What are they?” Danni looked bemused.

“They buried their dead with bits of their possessions and with flowers. Sadly the technology was minimalist.”

I pulled into the drive and Danielle pipped the remote so the gates opened. So far Daddy hadn’t rammed them this time, but give him long enough and he’ll forget. We’d kept a conversation about primitive peoples with the two girls feeling it was legitimate to refer to some of their contemporaries as Neanderthals or cave men. They didn’t quite get to Cro-Magnon which would have surprised and delighted me. These were the forerunners of modern Europeans and if I remember correctly had pretty well the same DNA as we do.

It was a little concerning that Danni was being targeted by the bully girls but she is a phenomenal footballer and good players are often stopped only by fouls because their skills are so much greater than anyone else on the field. At least Danni seems able to deal with it and her ankle is far less swollen since getting in the car. We’ve kept the blue stuff a bit quieter until Hannah becomes more aware of it and the consequences of blabbing in the wrong quarter.

The weather had been reasonable for a couple of days and we’d even managed to line dry a couple of loads of washing but the forecast for Easter, was pretty awful, only Good Friday looking to be fine. So far we’ve had about ten or eleven storms this year and it’s only just week twelve. The weather is as bizarre as the times all of which is supporting the belief amongst the scientific community that climate change is happening and coming to a place near you. I mean that means a storm every bloody week, no wonder I can’t get out on my frigging bike.

I carried Danni’s bag into the house while she walked awkwardly rather than limped. Of course Trish spotted it and wanted to heal it. Danielle was more aware and said she could try and rub it better later, for now all she wanted was the roast lamb dinner David had saved her.

I sat and drank a cuppa while she tucked into her food and the rate it was going down, she appeared to be enjoying it. “That was great, Dave,” she called to him as he was about to leave to go back to his cottage.

“Glad you enjoyed it, kiddo,” he called then left.

“Did you close the gates?” I asked Danni.

“Yeah, I think so.”

“Trish can you check please.”

“Yeah, okay.” She ambled out of the kitchen with Hannah walking alongside her.

I left Danni to finish her meal and went to the study where Simon came in behind me, hugged me and gave me a kiss. “Missed you, Babes,” he said.

“I’ve missed you too,” I replied, then added, “Hannah seems to think I killed her mother.”

“How d’you know?”

“She as good as told me.”

“Oh, so what do we do about that—tell her what happened?”

“I have in outline, that she was killed by another car as she went to get into her car. But, probably because I was there, she assumes I was involved.”

“You were trying to apprehend her, weren’t you?”

“Yes but not actually with her or trying to grab her or anything, I was probably twenty or thirty yards away.”

“There’ll be an inquest?”

“Yeah, I’ve given a statement but the police told me I may need to attend.”

“I’ll come with you.”

“Thanks, darling.”

“Hannah won’t need to attend?”

“God, I hope not—no, she wasn’t there so, no. Besides I’d hate for her to hear the details.”

“You haven’t exactly described them to me.”

“It was horrible. She stumbled and fell forwards between the door and the car and the car coming the other way came round the corner too quickly and hit the door.”

“While she was still...ugh, that is horrible, babes.”

“I know, I saw it.”

He hugged me.

“I’ll be okay, it was awful but—one of those things, I guess, but the bloke in the car that hit her was going too fast.”

“What was that about a bag of money that James was on about?”

“Oh she was carrying a flight bag with her and the car hit it ripping it open and the road was filled with twenty pound notes.”

“Will Hannah get those?”

“I hope so, though I suspect the Inland Revenue will want to see what tax she paid for the past year.”

“That could take years.”

“I just hope she made a will or we’ll have to fight for Hannah’s share of the estate.”

“If we have to, we will,” Simon declared supporting me.

“C’mon let’s see what they’re all up to.”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
253 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

We also had

roast lamb for dinner today and lovely it was too , Mind you there was nearly a national emergency when it was discovered we had no mint sauce .... Luckily we have a Tesco Express that opened up earlier this year and unlike big supermarkets is allowed to open on Easter Sunday ... Thankfully they had a couple of jars left so everyone was happy , Except for the cat he did not like it on his titbit ...

Danni will find the life of a striker a painful one , She only needs to look at the careers of players like Alan Shearer and Wayne Rooney to see what i mean , Not that she will change it for one minute ,To a girl in love with her football like she is scoring goals is what the games is all about ...

Kirri

Thank you,Angharad,

I don't watch men's football ( soccer) but I enjoy the girls game both local and International .The girls have great skills and
use them well and if they are brought down they ,in most cases ,get up and get on with the game whereas the men indulge
in ridiculous histrionics that should earn them an Academy Award.Besides,the girls are far more attractive than the men ,in
my estimation ,anyway.

PS: I love roast lamb but in Oz they are bringing $8 /kilo on the hoof ,too much for pensioners like me to afford. And I am old
enough to remember when I could have bought a whole lamb for $ 8 !!

ALISON

I can't help but wonder how

lamb can be expensive in Australia? Thought that was one of the huge crops there.

why would a farmer

why would a farmer (corporation) sell locally when you get more for export, ergo if we want lamb in OZ we pay same as export cost.

yes its a form of price gouging, but the powers that be presumably have a finger in the financial pie so do nothing about it.

and as for mint, i agree with the comic Asterix in Briton, cant stand anything mint. lol

Hermit

Some of these meals you speak of sound so delicious. I live alone so do not have the need for such things. Still, perhaps I could invite some friends around to share it with?

Gwen

Good episode but the only thing that really stuck with me was...

“Did you close the gates?” I asked Danni.
“Yeah, I think so.”
“Trish can you check please.”

So, where did Trish end up? Is she ok? Wonder if she can learn to use "the force" for defense like her mother does. Wonder if she already has figured it out.

The situation with Ingrid

From what I can tell this situation is NOT finished. While Ingrid is no longer in the picture the men that she was getting money from are still out there. Some of them are now going to want to also remove Hannah from the equation. Dead girls tell no tales concerning underage sexual assault.

If the gates were left open,

If the gates were left open, they could be up to their necks with bad guys.
It really is too bad that exceptional players can be targeted by lessor level players, just so they can be taken out of a game. Sadly there are coaches will actually train their players that way, all so they can win by any means.
Thankfully, Danni has a wonderful "medical support component of her mum, Trish and Julie who can use the Blue Light on her when needed.

Targetting

Unfortunately it is a staple in some sports. Many Professional Hockey teams over here on the other side of the pond even have players that they use to target players on the other team. These players tend to spend quite a bit of time in the penalty box. This is done even though as a consequence of getting a penalty that team is now playing one short so you now have a 5 on 4 situation.

Neanderthals

joannebarbarella's picture

I read an article just the other day that we actually have about 4% Neanderthal DNA, so we weren't averse to a little bit of hanky-panky with them.

Had the same thing happen to

Had the same thing happen to me playing football as did Danni, unlike Danni, I took full retribution on the ne'er do wells, resulting in 3 of us to the hospital, me for a minor hip sprain, them for something broken. Soccer is a dangerous sport !

Karen