Tammy's Summer Diary - Part 10 "Refusal is not an option"

Printer-friendly version
Tamara's Summer Diary - A Tamara's Tale Interlude

 

Monday 17th August

I jogged with Sophie before breakfast then she went off to a meeting, in full uniform. What was strange was that she was in a skirt and had tights on, I was floored.

I remembered to make an appointment to see Dr Wendy but there was no time on Friday so Thursday morning was the best I could do. Heather also arranged for our hair and make-up but decided it would be easier to bring a stylist and make-up girl to the cottage for the four of us.

Suzie had confirmed she'd travel down on Thursday morning with Jenny and Dave, Hilary would apparently handle urgent enquiries although Heather's office was available to all of us.

I had an appointment of my own, magistrates court.

A phone call at breakfast told me that Fred Western had alleged I assaulted him and his solicitor wanted me there. Up until this morning the police had decided my actions constituted a citizen's arrest and therefore no further action was required.

Heather accompanied me to the court in Truro and we arrived in good time for the nine thirty hearing. It was supposed to have simply been a remand hearing as well as a committal to a higher court, but Western's solicitor wanted to turn it into a show.

Both of us had gone for power dressing, I finally had an excuse to wear one of the suits I'd sent down and chose the cerise one. Heather had a lemon frock and a matching jacket, she was certainly hamming it up. We both went for 3" heels and clicked in sync as we entered the court building. DC Garston met us and introduced us to the CPS solicitor. I went through my statement with her and added that I now knew the girl who had been approached that afternoon.

There were a few questions about what I was doing in Redruth and where I could be contacted when it went to court, in case I was needed. I suggested any calls went through Heather as I had a habit of losing phones.

Court was strange, not completely unlike the Scottish Sheriffs' courts I'd been in, but still different enough. Western was brought into the dock and the charges were read. Within a minute he was gone, remanded in custody and his case referred to Crown Court. I was then asked to take the stand and the CPS solicitor took me through that afternoon. My statement had included my sending of a photo to Heather so I had made the connection between the two cases, something the magistrates and counsel couldn't do as he hadn't yet gone to trial.

I was asked by the magistrate how certain I was, I simple said that I accepted my aunt's information and had no reason to doubt her. Western's solicitor alleged I was brutal and attacked him because of a spurious claim by my aunt. I said I had witnesses and all I did was restrain him until the police arrived.

Unfortunately for the brief, his client hadn't claimed any injuries or bruises on Saturday, and only made the allegation after brief visited on Sunday afternoon. The magistrate threw out the complaint and awarded me £50 for my actions.

The pair of us left court with a little spring in our step.

So, my cover story was coming along nicely and Beccy's name would be in the regional papers. A reporter from the BBC's South West Today programme then stopped us, Heather apologised but her involvement was sub judice. My involvement could come back at a later time so I also declined to give an interview.

We went for a coffee before going around the shops, I needed to bank the court cheque made out to Beccy! We'd just finished our coffee when Sophie rang, checking on our whereabouts. She joined us ten minutes later and had a coffee with us.

We must have looked a sight, Sophie in a Met Police Sargeant's uniform, me in a fuchsia suit and Heather in a lemon frock. I left the pair briefly to find a bank and met with them once I'd battled the cashier. Whoever arranged for the Beccy identity pack hadn't realised that the bank was the same one I used, one that paid for my studies. Naturally I couldn't admit any of that.

I returned to find them outside the café, Heather threw me her car keys and asked me to be careful, apparently she had business insurance so I was covered; they went off in Sophie's Landrover. I still wasn't sure what she was doing in uniform but I have learnt not to query Sophie, just accept that she moves in mysterious ways.

She had a docking station for her mobile so I connected my work phone before I set off. My target was the world famous Eden Project, and a loo.

Pru called me, she had visited the shop and it was as advertised. The cleaners will be there tomorrow and on Wednesday an electrical contractor will ensure everything's safe. I authorised any expenditure necessary. She told me that confirmation of my university place had arrived, I was due to report there on Monday 28th September for induction.

I asked what was happening to Leanne, it was eight weeks since she was arrested but dad had said nothing. Pru admitted that she hadn't heard anything either. There had been zilch in the local press either, I just hope Leanne can sort her life out.

She did however have news of some other cases. Courts had been booked in London and Edinburgh for the trials, or retrials, of Yvonne, John McPherson, Jerry Trethgarwyn, Alban Berisha, Doran Kelmendi and all the others connected to last Christmas's bombing of the Air Traffic Control Centre. Due the complexity of the cases, these would finally be heard at the end of October. I had summons to be in both cities on Monday 26th of October. I asked Pru to resolve that, even I can't be in two places at once! The trial for Chris Jones' murder was slated for December but I probably wouldn't be needed for that.

I pulled into the Eden Project carpark and went in search of a loo after paying admission. I'd wanted to come here at Easter but we just never had time and I couldn't drive myself. Finally I could see what the place was all about.

It was three in the afternoon when I eventually escaped, I could have stayed much longer! I hadn't taken a camera with me so I just used my phone, and was rapidly filling up the memory card!

I was aiming to give Heather and Sophie as much time on their own as possible but I still had work of my own to do. I called Suzie from the car and asked if she could come down a day early? She said she couldn't but she would stay the weekend and go to Glasgow with me next Monday. I told her about a BBQ invite and she'll think about it, but of course I had to mention Daniel just before I lost the phone signal, shame!

I drove directly to Newquay airport and made the bookings for a flight at two in the afternoon to Manchester, with a connection to Glasgow. I've made a note to confirm hotel arrangements with mum and Angela next time I speak to them.

I parked the car back at the cottage, changed into shorts and top, then went to meet Sue as she finished work. There was a new girl at the salon and we invited her along but she's really insecure. That's a shame as it's Sue's eighteenth today and there's a gang of us going out.

Pete and Daniel are in another competition so they'll join us a bit later. We start in the pub garden and Sue gets her first official alcoholic drink, but then has to buy her Mum and Dad a drink before they'll leave us alone.

Everyone's slowly arriving and we've finished the first bottle of Vino Blanco by the time we're ready to move on.

Second stop was another pub, so was the third stop. Then we all piled into Malek Kebabs and overwhelmed them. The lad in there asks if I'm staying in the cottage with the ladies, I must ask Heather what that's about. His English isn't bad but my French is better so we switch languages, which confuses the locals. I don't think anyone now believes Viv's Dumb Scottish Blonde allegation.

We manage one more stop after disposing of our international take-away, I needed to clean my hands and take care of my bladder. Has it shrunk? I don't remember that being part of the surgery.

Wednesday 19th August

Sophie has driven me to Plymouth but won't say why. She's in her standard work uniform and suggested I wore jeans but brought something to change into. I also had to bring my passport, my Beccy passport.

We stopped at the gates into Stonehouse Royal Marines Barracks and were given the once-over by the gate guard. Sophie knew where she was going but that was still a few minutes driving from the gate. I was escorted into a bunker and down a second level to the armoury and range.

I passed on the range at Abigail Adams House but Sophie still hadn't explained why I was here. We went to a classroom and joined half a dozen others, apparently there was no-one at AA House qualified to do this course I was attending.

For the next three hours I'm immersed into the legalities of weapons in the UK. This was the 'what, when, where, why' course. I found it really interesting but wasn't convinced why it was necessary, they weren't going to stupid enough to issue me with a gun, were they?

There was a little test then we broke for lunch. After that we were let on the range and I tried a selection of 9mm Glocks as well as a few .357 and finally a .44 - that one scared me. I settled on the Glock 26 as the weapon I was most comfortable with and I popped enough through the inner ring for the range officer to be satisfied.

I got two slips of paper from the day and we were ready to head back to Redruth, Sophie had just used the time for practice, it seemed. I wanted to ask everyone what the point was, seeing how I never wanted to be fire a gun, although I was happy using one on the range, that, however, was all.

I was staying off the booze for a few days after Monday's experience, it was fun at the time but you pay for it later, I've told Sue we're getting ready for a wedding and I have to go North straight after the weekend for another. There's reminds me there's another BBQ on Sunday.

I never really understood how big Cornwall is until the two hour drive to Plymouth, knowing that it's also an hour from Redruth to Land's End.

As soon as we were back Sophie was needed by Heather. Jo had me helping her with laundry, cleaning and any other tasks that were needed. Now that I knew I could drive Heather's car, that included going on shopping raids to the supermarket. I've been jogging every morning since Sophie arrived and my fitness is improving, I want to get in the pool in the morning to stretch myself a bit more but I really feel great again even though it's only been four weeks.

I put a simple suggestion on facebook about the pool and a few minutes later ten of us are arranging to meet at nine thirty.

I had a lovely email from Jeri who complained it was too hot by the Dead Sea and she wasn't sure about the benefits, but she'd met with other psoriasis sufferers each with a different tale to tell. Her English result was a B, not bad for just one year but she wants to take it again. John's not said anything about Tanya but Jeri had the juicy latest. She'd got a C in English and Maths and a B in Biology. It wasn't what she wanted but should be enough for her degree course. She's stopped blaming everyone else for her driving disaster and has booked to retake the test, after a few refresher lessons.

Jeri thinks she's seen the car she wants and is trying to get finance arranged.

Thursday 20th August

First stop today was the health centre. Dr Wendy was very happy with me but insisted on ordering some more bloods. She had the results of the swab but said it was inconclusive so took another for the path lab.

I dashed to the pool to join the rest of the gang, I ended up with one of Sue's friends in a cubicle who seemed to know I'd had surgery and wanted to see for herself, weird. I'm comfortable changing with girls but I did wonder about her motive.

The water wasn't that warm, but the air temperature was in the low 80s even at half nine so it was all relative. I hadn't realised there was a wave machine so was surprised when that was switched on, but it was great; you don't get to swim in the open sea off the Highlands very often! I also decided I could use the slide, I didn't have boobs last time I went down one of those so need to be more careful!

One or two of the boys attempted to remove my bikini top, accidentally of course, but Daniel wasn't there to protect me. I threatened to tell him and was so over-the-top that one of the life guards asked me if I was being harassed?

They were all going off to hang out somewhere but I had to get back to the cottage for lunch. My next job was to collect three of the guests from the airport. I also took some of my unwanted luggage and sent it on its way towards Wick, but I planned on leaving a few bits in the cottage just in case.

Their flight from Gatwick was a few minutes adrift, one of the passengers had to be put off the flight having been in a bar for several hours. That meant their luggage had to be taken off as well.

When they walked through the arrivals gate it was odd. I wanted to give Suzie a hug, and she wanted to interrogate me, but our boss was there. This was the first time I'd met jenny so I really didn't know how to take her, for all I knew this was someone pretending to be Jenny. Dave was the third one, I didn't see him often but he's a lovely man. I was respectful and helped load the car, considering she was only staying one night I did wonder about Jenny's case.

I guided everyone to their rooms and apologised to Suzie for her sleeping arrangements, promising I didn't snore. We left the others talking business and went out for a walk.

It was the worst interrogation I've ever had, and then we bumped into Daniel. This was going to be awkward, but Suzie didn't try to wind me up. Instead she made a simple suggestion to Daniel, one that he daren't not refuse.

beccy's sig

up
379 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

confidence

Our girl certainly has grown in confidence when you compare her difficulties in getting dolled up as a bridesmaid when she was more "Tom", hanging around with all the girls and sharing changing rooms, Lucky girl. thanks Shiraz

Run don't walk

Alecia Snowfall's picture

Run don't walk should be Tammy's new phrase. One thing for sure, she isn't bored to tears down there.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Thank you Shiraz,

Another action packed day in our new girls life ,she certainly is having an exciting time .It will be interesting
to see how she and Daniel progress ----or something :)

ALISON

Thank you Shiraz,

Another action packed day in our new girls life ,she certainly is having an exciting time .It will be interesting
to see how she and Daniel progress ----or something :)

ALISON

hmmmm

I wonder if Sophie is going for a certain interview to take over Bob Willis's spot with a certain temp DI getting turned down . Becky/Tammy sure has been having some fun and games, and it certainly good to get that lesson at Plymouth regarding weapons and the law.
She certainly getting some experience and life skills dealing with ppl and public settings, Which is a very good thing She does need them after being restricted to the school for 10 years.
I do wonder if a certain martin Harris is going to cause some issue's esp after hanging around those few days.

Matt

I've enjoyed this series a

I've enjoyed this series a lot. With that said you have to wonder if the gun course was due to proximity to another certain person cleared to carry a gun with a reputation for being trigger-happy and if she will ever find this out.

Is that like an Offer he can't refuse?

It may not be the mafia, but do they have a network.

It may not fit the British ideal, but I think anyone who is going to be around guns should know how to use them. Whether you use them off range is another story, but it can't hurt and it may save a life.

Somehow I suspect a certain inspector wanna be is going to be disappointed.

Bag of scum

Jamie Lee's picture

Citizens help the absent police by stopping the bad guys and are sued by the bad guys for any injuries the bad guy suffered. These suits should never get to court, or as in Becca's case, thrown out out of court. Perhaps had these morons not broken the law citizens wouldn't be stopping them for the police, and suffered any injuries associated with the apprehension. They actually should be grateful these citizens don't help these morons have an accident for what they've done.

It can be difficult when a crash course in relationships is introduced to a person whose only relationships are family and school mates. While these do provide a learning experience, they are very limited. The real world experience shows that many males have only one desire with a woman, something Tammy hadn't had to be mindful of. She should have learned in her self defense class of a sure fire way to discourage the male of the species when no isn't effective, the pain maybe equivalent to child birth.

Tammy can't phantom why she is attending firing ranges and firearms training, she has no desire to use one or shot anyone. This is another aspect of her job that hasn't been explained, that sometimes she will have to use a handgun for her protection or the protection of another. When she learns this, there might be a big argument against her having one.

Others have feelings too.