The way of the Dragon Part 1

Printer-friendly version

This story is a Fan-Fiction saddled in the Whateley Academy Universe created by Maggie Finson and other Authors.

Please notice that English isn't my native language and I'm still working on my grammar.

First of all I want to thank the Canon Authors for their incredible inspiring tales as well as my editors and collaborative Authors Nuuan & Shadowsblade check out their stories if you have time for it. Thanks also for reading this little introduction, I hope you have fun reading the story.

Chapter 1
Into the Dragons Lair

Mrs. Carson looked up when her secretary opened the door.

“Mrs. Carson, the Student that is planned for the 12 o'clock appointment Lille Skygge has just arrived, shall I send her in?”

“Yes Elaine I think this will take some time, it would be good to start as early as possible.”

“Mrs. Carson is going to see you now would you please enter Lille?”

“Thanks, Claire.” a young girl answered.

The girl that entered the office was a beauty, she had a black short hair made into a somewhat asymmetric crop that made her heart shaped face even more noticeable. She had a small upturned nose that gave he a cute child look, and her thin eyebrows looked as if they had just been plucked and followed the slight curve of her big eyes that were looking as if they were on fire perfectly.
The eyes were really strange, they were big and round not shaped like most humans just plain round. They didn't had a pupil and the color seemed to move between red yellow and orange and she was sure that in the dark they would light the room. Her lips were full and red and looked far too inviting for a girl at her age, and her chin was small and petite rounding up the heart shape of her face.

“Hello young one, you must be Lille Skygge?” Mrs. Carson asked.

“Yes Mam.”

“Don't be afraid dear I won't bite, please take a seat. Oh and call me Mrs. Carson.”

The girl smiled shyly, “Thank you Mrs. Carson.” she said and set down in one of the chairs in front of the desk.

“Your welcome! There are some things we need to address today, things like if you are a potential threat to my student's or the staff taking care of them, then there is the little thing with your change of appearance that happened to you.”

The girl looked concerned on the last part but didn't say anything.

“Don't worry you wouldn't be the only one with that kind of problem dear. There are other things that might still be of concern but for now I would like to hear what you have lived through so far.
I was told you are born in Germany, you seem to be able to get around with your English?”

“Yes Mrs. Carson I can't really explain why but since my change I'm pretty much able to instantly understand how a language works and can speak it without much thinking, including all the accents that might come with it.”

“That is quite the feat, it isn't mentioned in your MID, but they mentioned you have an amazing memory.”

“Well yeah I just learned that on my way here, when I sat next to a french businessmen, he had a phone talk and I could understand everything even though I never learned it, same with a Spanish couple on the plane and English once I landed at Berlin Airport.”

“So how will you get around the guardian thing? All pupils at this school need to have an guardian of legal age, and there is the monthly fee that need to be provided as you haven't got a scholarship.”

“Well I would like to let this things be explained by my, hmm father isn't really correct probably older brother even though that's only a very human way of seeing that relationship.”

“Your brother?”

“If you don't mind? I can call him over.”

“Yes please.”

The shadows in the room that had been thrown by the ceiling lights suddenly started to flow together and formed themselves into a man looking as if he was around in his late twenties.
He had Black hair shoulder length and a three days not shaved look for a beard. His Eyes looked the same way as Lille's and he had kind an aura around him that made Mrs. Carson feel like she was a child again.

“Lille if you would excuse us for a moment? The man asked.”

“Sure” she said and suddenly her body broke into shadows and revealed a black red pointed egg the size of a melon. Mrs. Carson looked surprised at the big black red pointed egg that was now in the chair.

“What is that, I was told she turned into something like a dragon but she hasn't hatched?”

“Good day Mrs. Carson,” he shook her hand. “My name is Black Shadow, but you can call me the ancient one I'm at fault for Lille's change if you would like to call it so. Of course we made the pact in mutual agreement, but since I'm, I'll cover the expenses I think I would be okay to pay you in diamonds or a like, since I would rather not pay you in gold. As you noticed she hasn't hatched yet but it shouldn't be too long now.”

“You want to pay in diamonds?”

“Yes during the last few hundred thousand years I got quite hold of a lot of them. I like their look so I decided to keep them but they aren't singing in the same way gold does.”

“Singing?”

“Yes Mrs. Carson I understand this might me a little too much information but indeed as dragon we listen to the sound of gold, It is the one most beautiful thing we can hear, as is reverberate through our very being. I would also like to be her guardian I don't think you would mind that?”

“Well I think I can live with that, how can I contact you if something would happen to your, a sister right?”

“Oh don't worry I feel everything that's going on at the campus should the need arise I will be here, probably not in my real form as that would give to much of a commotion for your school, I think you would like to avoid that? I would since I don't think they need an volcanic eruption in Germany right now.”

“That kinda raises the question I know dragon grow big, how huge are you?”
“Hmm good question I have been asleep the last 20,000 years so I might have grown a few feet, but considering this building I wouldn't fit in if it was just the outer walls and the ceiling.”

“Okay so how big is Lille going to be?”

“Oh she hasn't hatched yet about 14 inch in height and max 8 inches wide in her egg as you can see for yourself.” He gestured at the egg sitting next to him in the chair. “And probably after hatching about 16 inches in body and 8 inches tail 24 inches long and sitting on her back paws about 14 inches in height.”

“That shouldn't be a problem how about her growing?”

“Well by the end of a year she should be about 6 feet long and 4 feet high. At the end of her second year she wouldn't fit into this room in her true form. Once she reaches about 50 feet her growing should start to slow down a little bit and she need less food, but don't worry about that we hunt for ourselves when in our true body we can't eat made up meals.”

“So she needs to hunt and a clearance for the woods around campus?”

“She would need that not at first but later yeah she will probably take care of any rat problems you might have once she's hatched and can take the rest in her human form, but about 3 month later she will definitely have to hunt deer, and alike in the woods.”

“What about the grove?”

“I wouldn't worry about that, there isn't anything nature had brought that wasn't friendly with us except maybe dwarfs due to their bad habit of stealing our gold.”

“Okay that should be all I want to hear what has happened so far now.” Mrs. Carson said.

The man sat himself next to Lille, looked at her and she turned back into her human form.

“Lille would you be so kind to tell what happened so far?” Mrs. Carson asked.

###

And so I began with my story. “Well I think I start at the beginning, as you know from the Students form my name was Siggi Kulmbacher, I was born at August 12th 1997 in Lückenbach Hospital the next hospital to my hometown old Lückenbach. It is in the Eifel an old volcanic area southwest of cologne. We have about 17 citizens well with me gone now 16, I had only one friend of similar age his name is Oliver and in December 2014 we were as usual wandering through the forests that are surrounding our home town. Oliver had found a cave a few days ago when he wandered around on his own while I had been visiting family over in Munich, and wanted to show me the cave.”

I sighed, “Well when we finally arrived at the cave Oliver teased me and said I wouldn't have the courage to explore it, I couldn't let that slide. I always had wanted to be an explorer and this was my chance to prove I had the necessary courage. So I walked into the cave armed with my flashlight that I always had with me for such a opportunity.”

Walking in the cave I thought, hah figured he wouldn't dare to follow me inside. I walked deeper into the cave and could here him yelling outside that he meant that as a joke and asked me to come back out. But I was far too interested to look how big this cave would turn out to be. From the way the rock was made I presumed it must be made from volcanic activities in the past, and it kept winding down more and more.

After following the cave for what felt like half an hour, Damn this cave is big! “whistling impressed” I reached a cavern it was full of stalagmites and stalactites and I carefully move around and underneath them so none would suddenly fall down and pin me on the ground. After I finally managed to get through the forest of stalactites I reached a crossing several path split themselves in different directions. Maybe I should return? From here on there isn't any way to get lost, but I haven't found anything yet, and if I walk just one way check it and turn back if I reach another crossing I'm still fine. So I went and took the third funnel from the right as it looked like it leads deeper into the mountain. I don't know how long I followed it but after a long time I reached another crossing. Curse my luck.

I decided it would be better to stick to my plan and turned around moving back the way I had been coming from. Or I thought I did because not to long later I was finding myself in yet another cavern. Shit I'm lost am I? Well this way looks like it leads up. And so I followed the funnel but after a while it started to turn down again. I was totally lost and this cave was far too big I could also feel that I started to get tired. I sat down a moment to collect my mind.

Well it didn't turn out to be a good decision since while I was sitting there listening to the sound of water dropping from the ceiling somewhere in the cave and trying to relax my flashlight started to dim. Shit it's running out of Juice already? I stood up my legs were shaking, Don't panic just don't. Well of course I couldn't keep my calm. I started to run through the labyrinth I had trapped myself in, the light was dimming more and I knew If it would get out I would have to wait till Oliver had brought a search and rescue squad.

I move left at the next crossing and suddenly I lost the ground under my feet, “ARRGHH” a scream escaped my mouth out of surprise as I felt my stomach making a jump, then I hit a wall that was leading straight down. Falling or more rolling down the volcanic funnel I only hit a few rocks that protruded into the funnel, until the funnel suddenly get wide and I fell the last few meters on another rock. “Uff” the air was pressed out of my lungs as I landed and started to slide down the rock I had landed on. Whoa that feels kinda warm and smooth to smooth and warm for a normal rock? I tried to hold myself on the rock but didn't get a good grab on the flat rock. I felt down at the side of it, Oh shit if I fell into lava I'm toast. And then I fell on some smaller rocks a few yards deeper.

The rocks started to flew away in different directions from me and I heard a really high pitched sound when the hit other rock. What is that? It doesn't sound like stone at all. “Ouch” I said opening my eyes that I had closed the moment I fell down the rock I couldn't see anything, damn where is my flashlight? My whole body was sore from the fall I started to check on myself and was happy that I hadn't broken anything. Having luck during a losing streak, yeah sounds just like me. Well there is now way I will find out of this hole now without any light. I leaned back on the rock behind me, and ran my hand on the ground. Again there was the high pitched sound of something falling down. I picked up a rock and was surprised that it felt kinda heavier than it should and by the form of it, it was nearly completely round and flat like a coin or so. I flipped it in my hand it fell down making another high pitched sound.

Then I suddenly could see again a red flickering shine like from a flame was starting to fill the cavern I was sitting in. Don't tell me lava is rising up now? I looked down and saw what I was sitting on, are these gold coins? I turned my head around to look what was making the light and looked at what I could only describe as a gigantic round flaming gate to hell. It was probably a good seven feet in diameter round circle white at the outside and burning in flames for the inner part. That can't be an eye! That's when I noticed it was an eye, the eye of a giant dragon that I had just woken up.

“Who dares to interrupt my slumber?” I heard words filling my mind they hadn't been said, it was more like I suddenly thought them while knowing they weren't my thoughts.

I gulped, “Awesome that is a real Dragon?” Shit I think I kinda pissed him off. I don't really know why I thought of the Dragon as a he but his thoughts kinda sounded, if you could tell that sound, male.

“A Human? What does one of your kind in my lair, you better don't think you can take away my gold!”

I looked around and noticed the the complete cavern was filled with all kind of gold and jewels, and on top of it was lying the biggest living creature I had ever heard of. The Dragon's head was easily the size of 3 school bus in length and 2 in width. The head was on a long flexible neck it was so long that the body of the Dragon wasn't even lighted by the fiery light the Dragon's eyes.

"Answer my question human. Why did you interrupt me in my slumber?" The thoughts of the Dragon filled my head again.

"I'm really sorry for disturbing your slumber mighty Dragon, It was an accident I was just exploring a cave above your lair. I got lost in it and when my flashlight was starting to die I kinda panicked and fell down a funnel leading into your lair. I really don't mean any harm to you."

"So you fell down into my lair by accident, I find that hard to believe, and calling me Mighty Dragon. Are you trying to flatter me mortal?"

"No, I just don't know how I should address a Dragon you are the first one I have ever met. May I ask for your name?"

Laughter filled my mind. "My name? I have been called by many names in the past. The Dwarfs used to call me 'The Dweller in the Dark' and in the war between the Dragons and the Sidhe way before the Sundering they called me 'The great winged Shadow' I prefer to keep it simple so just call me Black Shadow if you need a name. The real name of a Dragon is something your kind wouldn't understand. So what is your name little human?"

"Ohh yeah I'm Siggi Kulmbacher a pleasure to meet you Black Shadow."

"No that doesn't sound right." he moved his giant head closer to me and I felt a strange sensation as if he was examining more than only what I looked like. "Well that is interesting looks like I was to fast to call you a mere human."

"What are you talking about?" I questioned the Dragon that suddenly didn't felt threatening any longer.

"I will need to think about what you are for a while, in the meantime it might be best if you would return to the other humans they have already started to look for you and are gathering in front of the cave entrance you used to enter." Suddenly I knew where I was in the cave and how I could return to the lair without falling down through a funnel.

"This will help you to come back to me, I would like to meet you again little one."

"Oh yeah that would be nice so how can I get back to the surface before the other people get inside?"

"Don't worry I will send you there."

“Whoa thank you so much” I hugged him, at I would say his cheek even though it wasn't like a dragon had a cheek did he? Well I hugged him right underneath his eye.

The Dragon's head shuddered, “Uhh that feels good don't stop.”

I did as the dragon told me and kept hugging the sport under his eyes while carefully caressing it with my hands. Did I just hugged his sweet spot?

Chuckling in my mind. “You found one yeah.”

I felt my cheeks getting warm. I slowly move a little bit back and stopped the hugging.

“Ahh what a shame, no reason to be embarrassed.” The dragon told me.

“But you are a Male dragon.”

“We don't really care much about minor details, we kinda change them if needed but I haven't done so for a few hundred thousand years.”

Hundred thousand of years? “You're not looking anything like I would expect someone that old to look like.”

“I'm a Dragon. Don't think we would age the same way the mortals do” Smoke raised up from his nose.

Whoa he produces smoke when he gets angry? That's interesting. “I'm sorry well I better get going or someone will start to climb down this cave to look for me and we wouldn't want that would we?”

“You're a smart one I will bring you back to where you entered.”

And suddenly I stood in the cave near the entrance I had entered a few hours ago.

Looking at the caves entrance I could hear the voices of people talking. Damn Oliver, he had already contacted the locals and they were here to search for me just as Black Shadow had said. I walked out of the cave and stood saw my parents as well as several other people. "Ah Hi what are you all doing here?"

My mother looked perplexed then rushed towards me and hugged me as if she hadn't seen me for a decade "Siegfried you're alive we were so worried about you when Oli called." Mom was always this way, she wouldn't call me Siggi like everyone else, and she always presumed the worst had happened.

"Mom I'm fine, I lost my flash light though, that's why I needed a bit longer to get out of the cave."

Oliver move next to me and asked "Everything okay?"

"Oli you moron, why the hell did you call everyone I wasn't gone that long."

"You are the moron here, its already past 6 pm!"

“Everyone was happy I was back but of course I had to endure a lot of scolding from the adults, the usual things like how irresponsible it was of me entering the cave, yada yada you get the idea”.

Mrs. Carson interrupted my telling, "so you weren't mutated when you left the cave?"

"To be honest, I'm not sure that I'm a mutant at all.”

"What do you mean you don't think you're a mutant?"

"Exactly what I said, I was at the age of 17 I didn't have a burnout yet I'm age regressed in my human form, however this form," I gestured over my body. "isn't my actual body anymore."

Mrs. Carson looked at me kinda worried, "Lílle the first thing you should understand that this is what makes you a mutant."

"Excuse me please," Black Shadow interrupted, "Mrs. Carson you should listen to her, she has her point with her explanation. I can only advise that you should probably wait for her to continue the story before you make any hasty conclusions."

Mrs. Carson face showed clearly that she had trouble to believe I was right. "Okay Lille would you please continue, what happened after you were back?"

"Well of course I couldn't risk telling anyone that I had met with a real Dragon. I mean honestly who would believe me that there was a giant fire breathing reptile, sorry for that, sleeping under the inactive volcano near our little village. Obviously I couldn't sleep at all the first night, and it was the last day of school, before winter vacation started. After school I went to do some shopping I bought 2 new military type Mac-Light flashlights, and enough batteries for a few days."

"When I was back home again I told my parents that I was going to stay at a friends place for a few days starting tomorrow. I went to bed early and left the house after packing up some supplies and my sleeping bag that I normally used for camping with Oliver. Then I went into the woods to a cave entrance I remembered thanks to Black Shadows explanation and followed the cave into his lair."

"You're back a lot earlier then I would have expected little one." The Dragon's thoughts filled my mind.

Earlier than he had expected? Hey did I just manage to surprise a dragon? "Yeah if I hadn't needed some more supplies I would have probably come back yesterday, I can't really explain it but it feels right to be here."

"It feels right?"

"Yeah I don't know but I kinda like the idea of being near you it makes me feel at ease." Would he be annoyed if I would set myself next to his head? The fire in his Eyes would make it a lot easier to see in here.

"Makes you feel at ease that's really interesting, you're kind normally doesn't like to be so deep underneath the ground, and no it's okay your presence here doesn't bother me you can sit next to me."

My thoughts are like an open book to him, I would really have to work on that, "Yippieh” I moved up over the mountains of gold listening to the high pitched sound of gold coins, falling over others.

"If you think this sounds great you should definitely listen to the sound of gold the way a dragon does."

"Yeah maybe but that's not really possible" what a shame it must be a really a nice sound I thought.

The dragon must had noticed that I felt sad about that, as he moved his head close enough to touch me. His touch was really gentle, well for a dragon, for me it was like a giant black wall that suddenly moved slowly into me.

"Whoa hey big one, thanks I will won't start crying okay." whoa how caring of him that had been unexpected. I felt a strange sensation in my stomach that I couldn't really identify as I never had felt something similar before. I touched the dragons soft spot under his eye as I knew he would like that, and I wanted him to know that I also cared about him.

I looked at Mrs. Carson, "Well I don't want to get into much detail but a few hours later it got kinda late in due to the winter outside it got kinda cold so I slipped into my sleeping bag.

Wish I had had one with me that time I thought.

"You didn't complain though."

I felt my cheeks getting warm, stop that! it's embarrassing what if she realizes.

"hmmph we're dragons! We have no reason to care what a human thinks about us."

When I woke up in the morning next to the dragon, he started to teach me what it meant to be a dragon, I didn't wasted a thought why he did tell me all this.

"So you and the Dragon grew to be friends? within 3 days? I'm sorry to say that but it sounds totally unbelievable." Mrs. Carson said.

"hmmmphf" Black Shadow blew smoke out of his nose "I didn't thought it could happen so fast either, it was like realizing a soul mate on the first contact."

"Then she is an Avatar, I figured." Mrs. Carson nodded.

"You didn't figure at all, Mrs Carson I'm sorry please let me continue." I interrupted her.

“During my second night in the lair of the Dragon we came closer to each other, the Dragon used his wings to protect me from the wind that even managed to blew into the depths of the cavern, and his warm body heated from the flames resting within kept me warm. I can't really explain why I felt so much at comfort by his side by I knew I wanted to stay. So when the new morning arose and I woke up I dreaded the thought of leaving him.”

“What's wrong little one?” Black Shadows thoughts entered my mind

He cared so deeply for me a mere human being? How could I even hope he would understand, he was a dragon a true one born an eternity in the past. “I don't know I just don't feel like leaving but I have to my parents might figure out that I'm not at a friends place else.” Tears started to form in my eyes. I looked up to him, his beautiful and elegant build the embodiment of life, the mightiest creature that I could ever imagine to walk over the earth, and yet he was highly intelligent and caring for something that lived comparable long to him, than a mayfly next to me.

The dragon moved closer to me and pushed me with his giant head closer to his body, then he rolled his tail around me so I was surrounded by him completely. “You give yourself to less credit, I can't even remember how long ago I really cared for someone or something except of gold, you have a big heart and a soul worthy of being called a dragon.”

But I'm just a mere human. I thought in grief against the universe.

“My little one there are ways to change the universe it's what makes us dragons so special, I don't know how it works but dragons magic is kinda fundamentally different than normal magic, we don't cast spells it is more an intense feeling that emerges from within our essence.”

“I don't know much about magic.” I admitted.

“Let me just ask you this one question. Do you want to be a dragon?”

“Gulp” Did he just ask me what I thought he had asked me? How could I accept such a blessing I wasn't worthy, but I couldn't deny I wanted more than everything else live for an eternity with a dragon like him.

“That is all wanted to know.” He said and breathed at me.

“Mrs. Carson you need to understand that he hasn't put his essence in mine like a spirit that sticks to an avatar and he is still himself sleeping on his pile of gold in Germany. All he did was as his feeling told him and bathed me in dragon's magic. We don't know how it works and we can't command this level of magic by will or training, it just happens and it happens only rarely. In all his life he had only managed to work a spell of this level a few dozen times. The result however is never known before and when his breath had ended I was lying there in my egg.”

Mrs. Carson looked totally confused. “But how is it possible to speak with you if you haven't hatched yet, you have a body on your own right now.”

“As I said we don't really understand either. The best explanation I can give you is that I'm breeding my self new as a dragon.” I reached down and lifted my loose shirt and showed her my swollen belly clearly showing the form of the egg inside.

up
251 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Great start!

Very cool, can't wait for more.

nomad

Great start

I can't wait to see where this story goes. It's a great start.

For someone who's first language is not English, your spelling and grammar is very good (better than mine and I was born speaking English)

Joanna

..........wonderful

What a great beginning.

Joani

Looks good!

This looks like it will be good. Though, I have to make a suggestion. I feel that last part with "I'm breeding my self new as a dragon" should probably be changed to something like "I'm birthing myself anew as a dragon." Also, making it "I'm giving birth to myself as a dragon" could work. It just doesn't quite make sense as it currently is. Even my suggestions don't quite sound right to me but they make more sense than how it is right now. Either way, I am really looking forward to where you take this. Keep up the good work!

Editor

Thank you for this brave effort with this story. I am not an editor but do TOEFL tutoring, normally with Middle Eastern Students. If you would like me to, I would edit your work for spelling, word usage and make some sentence structure correction. I do not charge, and do not do very large works. You may find others who are much better than I am. Please PM me if you are interested.

Gwen

Fascinating

Tas's picture

This is something different for the Whateley universe, and I really like it so far. I'm really interested to see where you take this :)

-Tas

(And by the way, while you do have a number of grammatical and word choice mistakes, it doesn't detract from the story and it remains easy to read. Well done)

Very interesting and

Very interesting and different..Allows me to relate
a bit with the good mythology of dragons..

Another great start for the Whateley universe.

alissa