Gene's Story or How I Gained a Cousin Chapter 12

Printer-friendly version

div align="center">

"Ellen and Jinny.jpg
Gene's Story
or How I Gained a Cousin

A novel by Karen Lockhart


Copyright 2016
 



It's funny how things happen to change your life and the way you look at things



CHAPTER 12

We drove along Shore Drive headed for the restaurant. The view was beautiful. In the distance a lighthouse was flash, flashing, guiding shipping away from the ledges off Nahant, our destination.

I quickly found a parking space near the bar entrance, and in we went. The hostess guided us to a table by the window.

“I love your sweatshirt,” she said to Ginny, while handing us menus, “Where did you ever find it?”

This made Ginny feel good. “I got it at Walmart for only ten dollars.”

“I'll head there tomorrow,” she said. “Would you girls like something to drink?”

“I'll have a Bud light, how 'bout you Ginny?”

“Sounds good, I'll have the same.”

We were both quiet, staring at the sight of the lights twinkling on the ocean, not one hundred feet from where we sat.

“I think I'll have a lobster roll,”I said. ”Be careful, there's two kinds, one has chopped celery and mayonnaise mixed with lobster meat in a toasted roll. The other is hot lobster meat in a roll with drawn butter on the side, They both come with French fries. I'm having the one with drawn butter.”

Ginny though for a minute, “I guess I'll have the lobster salad, sounds a little different.”

The waitress came back with our beers and took our order, leaving us alone with our thoughts.

“A penny for them,” I said.

“It's this whole male/female thing, I'm torn in two different directions. On one hand, I've never been more happy in my life, but eventually I'm going to come back to earth, as Gene. When that happens, Gene has the lifespan of a gnat.”

At this point the waitress came with our meals, “Would you like some ketchup?“

“Yes, please,” we said.

Neither of us said anything for a while, the only sound was chewing. I started to laugh, “Sounds like a squirrel working on an acorn.”

Ginny started first. “What shall I do, I need help with this.”

“Oh gosh, I don't want to tell you to dress up as a girl, but...”

“I'm not dressing as a girl, I am a girl!”

“Then the choice is easy, do you want to be a complete girl?”

“In the future. I've been checking out gender reassignment surgery online,” she said. “Scared the stuffing out of me.”

“Hey, let's walk before we run; I think first you need to see a psychologist to see if a woman is really what you want to be for the rest of your life, then a doctor for hormones; then we can talk about surgery. But first we need to find some ID for you; then you can get a driver's license, and a passport.”

“That could be easier said than done. I don't know anyone with connections that wouldn't get back to Morales and company,” said Ginny. She
paid the bill with cash and left a ten dollar tip for the waitress.

By the time we got back to my condo, I had an idea.

“I'll ask Steve Brady for help, he knows everyone.”

The alarm went off at 5 AM, waking both of us. I hit the shower first, afterward it was Ginny's turn. I tossed on my jeans, boots and denim shirt, then made coffee. Ginny came into the kitchen, and grabbed a newspaper. While my back was turned she took my coffee, and took a sip, “Yech, hazel nut!”

“That will teach you, make your own.” I hurried around grabbing my laptop, and briefcase.
“Shake a leg, let's go. By the way, that dress looks good, the cutlets make all the difference.”

“Cutlets, what are cutlets?” Ginny asked.

“Those new boobs of yours, we call them cutlets, you know, like chicken cutlets?”

She roared “Now I get it, cutlets.”

We arrived at the job-site just as the foreman was opening the gates, stopped at the trailer, opened it up and went inside. Wow it was cold, I turned up the thermostat to 68 and sat at my desk.

I looked up Steve's cell phone number and gave him a call. The darn phone went to voice mail,
“Steve, this is Ellen, I need your advice on something, please call me back.”

I tucked into my work, and lost track of time. Next thing I knew a shadow fell across my desk.

“Alright beautiful what's wrong?” It was Steve.

“Grab a coffee, and I'll tell you.” Without coffee, would anything happen?

“Look, Ginny ran out with nothing, no credit cards, no money, and no driver's license. She needs ID,” I said. “But not in her name, we'll use Hanson, my name.”

Steve thought for a moment. “That's why under the table.” Not waiting for an answer, he said, “Give me a day or two, I've got an idea on this. Let me get out of here. I'll see you two tomorrow, I should have a solution by then.”

He grabbed another cup of coffee, and hopped into his truck, roaring out the gate onto Route 99, and then, Route 1 North.

Ginny walked up to my desk, “What was that about? He was in and out in fifteen minutes. Does he do this all the time?”

“Only when he's getting phony ID for my cousin,” I chuckled. “He knows everyone worth knowing.”

“ID for me! Really, he can do this?”

“We'll know tomorrow; in the meantime, back to work peon.”

After this the day went by slowly. I put out a bunch of brush fires, none serious. Finally it was time to head for home.

Ginny and I changed into more comfortable clothes. For me this meant changing boots for boat shoes, and a gin and tonic. For her, jeans and a tee shirt, and a cold beer.

“How about baked ham, roast potatoes and green beans for supper? Later I've got blueberry cheese cake for dessert.”

“Wow, don't ever leave, I was going to call for a delivery of Chinese food.”

“Tomorrow night,” she chuckled, “I have to pay my way, you know!”

We were just finishing supper when the phone rang.

“All set,” I heard. “Have Ginny wear a nice top, she's going to have a photo session.”

“Steve Brady, you work fast. I'm not sure I want to work for you,”I teased, I think you are connected to the wise guys.”

“No chance of that, If I was do you think I'd be getting these dinky jobs? I'd have a big bridge job with the State.” with that he hung up.

“Who was that?” Ginny asked. “Who's mob connected?”

“That was Steve, he said you are all set, and to wear a nice top tomorrow for photographs.”

“Photographs?”

“Yeah, how else do you get IDs, in a box of Cracker Jacks?” I kidded. “Are you ready to be reborn? Tomorrow you will be Virginia Hansen, age 22, from Swampscott, Mass., my cousin.”

“Really, really? You're not yanking my chain to get me going are you? If so, it's not funny.”

“Ginny calm down, it's set, let's go to bed. We'll talk more in the morning.”

We headed for our bedrooms. I turned on the television for the weather and caught the end of a story about a drug bust up north. All I heard was MacDonald Trucking. Any way, tomorrow was going to be cloudy, with a high temperature in the 50's. Not bad I thought as I fell asleep; good working weather.

To be continued,

Many thanks to Bronwen for fixing typos and grammar

up
223 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Things for Genny are looking up

Renee_Heart2's picture

Espicaly with a drug bust with the trucking company up north things are going to get better.

Love Samantha Renee Heart

good

good

Only Good ?

Only Good ?

Maddening Comments

waif's picture

OMG Karen, doesn't that just drive you nuts??????

I mean, if you are going to take the time to comment, would it take that much time to give the author a little more insight into what the story made you feel?

Good is like when you give your significant other a birthday/Christmas/anniversary gift and they say, "Thanks" and go back to playing a video game.

If it was only good, you should be willing to explain what was less than great about it.

"I liked it, but...."

Something like that.

I am following this story and enjoying it. My only complaint is the wait between chapters.

FOR THE RECORD:

Karen, I use three criteria when I read or write a story.

1) Were the characters believable (did they reflect real human traits, values, etc.)?
2) Was the dialogue compelling (were the conversations witty and enjoyable to read)?
3) Were the plot devices clever (did the story veer from where I thought it was going without stretching credibility)?

I think you easily have accomplished the first two, so I keep following the story. For myself, I like where your plot is headed, and I see a lot of potential plot twists. When it is done, I will know if you fulfilled the third, but so far it is a fun ride.

If a story makes me think and makes me want to discuss it with someone else, it is a good story.

But hey, we all set our own criteria.

waif

Be kind to those who are unkind, tolerant toward those who treat you with intolerance, loving to those who withhold their love, and always smile through the pains of life.

I really enjoy this story,

I really enjoy this story, and look forward to seeing it posted so I can read it. Lobster Roll or Lobster salad----Yummmm!!

interesting ending...

Hmm...the police raided the trucking company. Maybe Ginny's flight caught the attention of the state police and they went over the Boston cops' heads? Going to be interesting where you go with that little tidbit.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Thank you Karen,

Just love the story ,Virginia is only going one way ----forward!

ALISON

Lobster and Ketchup?

Rhona McCloud's picture

What did the poor lobster do to deserve such abuse? No doubt a New England eccentricity.

Rhona McCloud

Hmmm...

Jamie Lee's picture

The news made it sound like part of Gene's problems might be headed to prison. Unless, that is, the whole story is a setup to flush Gene out of hiding.

Just who does Steve know? Could it be he's undercover? And if he is undercover, already knows Ginny is Gene?

Others have feelings too.