Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2892

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2892
by Angharad

Copyright© 2016 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

After dinner, Stephanie asked if anyone felt scared or anxious. I very nearly put my hand up, instead I left her to talk to the girls while I made some tea and went off to my study. I’d done no work today, I’d been shocked but not so much that I couldn’t have gone to the office. The fact was, that I was worried about the girls and taking them home seemed the most logical thing to do. I spoke to Diane and asked her to tell Tom. He of course called immediately he heard and wanted to come home to protect us. It was kind of him but I did remind him I’d shut the gates—he still drove into them coming home—this time he managed to stop before either his car or the gates were too badly damaged.

Julie came to see me bringing another cuppa. “What’s going on? I mean Ingrid was no Einstein but she seemed okay with us and you did a lot for her and Han, why’s she doing this?”

“She thinks my intention was to steal her daughter, instead I acted because she was otherwise being neglected and anxious about the johns that Ingrid was entertaining. A ten year old girl shouldn’t know all about prostitution from living with it.”

“She was neglecting her kid, Han said as much and she’s come on in leaps and bounds since she joined the family, can’t she see that?”

“There’s none so blind as those who will not see—she goes to the top of the class after religious bigots and climate change deniers.”

“She should be pleased that her kid is happy and doing well in school—if she loved her she would.”

“I think she might have been raised with strange ideas of what love is all about and her models of parenting are unconventional to put it mildly.”

“What d’you mean?”

“She makes the same mistake many people make, you can’t be a parent and a friend of your children when they’re young. They need guidance and occasionally firm boundaries—you can’t do that if you’re their best friend. If you have no boundaries to start with, how can you keep them safe? How will they learn the difference between right and wrong and when they do wrong, how will you punish them; if only to show actions have consequences.”

“I consider you a friend as well as my mother.”

“You’re an adult, Julie. Relationships become different then especially as we’re so close in age.”

“You taught me a lot, mainly about myself and you showed me love in an unconditional form—that was magic. No matter what I did you still loved me. I don’t know if I could with a teenager as bad as I was.”

“You weren’t bad, just unused to having the freedom to be you—the real you. I and the others just gave you that freedom and you went off the rails a few times. Thankfully, you survived it all.”

“Yeah, thinking back I owe you my life several times.”

“Who’s counting—you’ve repaid my investment in you by turning into a lovely young woman with a head for business and you’ve included Phoebe in that, which gives you both a chance to experiment with your business.”

“She’s pretty bright though, isn’t she? I dunno if she’ll be happy to stay as a hairdresser beautician forever.”

“If she wants to go, let her. If she needs you to buy her out—we’ll help you.”

“Thanks, Mum, that’s quite a relief to know that.”

The phone rang—Andy Bond was at the gate, he wanted to see me. I let him in and put the kettle on again, he can usually drink a cuppa. He did and so did I.

“Look I appreciate how this must have shocked you, but try and ride it out, Cathy. We’ll do what we can to protect you.”

“I’ve got James Beck coming to act as bodyguard, he’s done some of those anti-car jack/abduction training.”

“Just make sure he stays within the law, Cathy, and we’ll do all we can to help.”

“I intend to stay alive, so if that requires doing something unconventional, I might well do it.”

“Be careful, once you step outside the law you become as bad as the perps.”

“Andy, have you ever been stuck in a car with a pile of your children while three thugs smash all the windows. They might even have got one of the kids if Danielle hadn’t managed to kick one in the face.”

“I can’t get over how that kid has changed—you’ve certainly been a good influence on her.”

“Stop changing the subject, Andy. Have you undergone an assault like we had this morning?”

“Not exactly the same, but yes, I’ve been frightened for my life.”

“It wasn’t so much my life, Andy, but those for whom I’m responsible. I failed them today. They think I’m Wonder Woman but I’m not, and I can’t always protect them.”

“Don’t be too hard on yourself, Cathy, you did your best against overwhelming odds.”

“If ever I get a chance to kick arse, I am going to and hard.”

“Just stay within the law—oh, we’ll have a car waiting near the school to deter another attack.”

“If they do attack and James is there, they’ll have a surprise won’t they?” I knew they wouldn’t attack two days running because the police were likely to be about. They’ll wait until the police have gone and then strike—or I would in their position.

Andy went off and a short time later so did Stephanie plus baby Emily, who’s no longer a baby but a toddler with her own agenda—little monster. I took the girls up to bed and read them a story.

After that I spoke with Danni to say how much I appreciated her efforts to protect her younger sisters. “Nah, I was just making sure he didn’t take my new soccer boots.” I told her off for failing to accept a compliment—yeah, I know pot calling kettle, but I made sure she knew I was impressed by her courage—it was greater than mine, but I was determined not to let them down again. When Danni went up to bed, I went and changed and then did an hour kicking Stella’s punch bag, practicing moves I haven’t done for a long time.

Perhaps we should all ride those Lipizzaner horses, they do a trick which was developed during days of cavalry charges where the horse jumps in the air and delivers a kick with all four feet. That would have stopped those bastards this morning.

We had a few whimpers that night, not surprisingly but it all settled down and I got a few hours sleep. When we left for school the girls were all armed with baseball or cricket bats. I couldn’t say anything, I had a torque wrench in my bag.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
253 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Bloody Hell

Christina H's picture

The car is a mobile assault vehicle baseball bat's, cricket bats and a torque wrench I like Cathy think that the thug's
won't strike until the police have disappeared and the car they have now ain't as tough as the Jag.

Thanks Angharad for your hard work either you are posting earlier or I'm reading later than before.

Christina

Weapons of defense

There was a certain Polish tractor in which one took the steering column out and used it to crank the odd single cylinder engine. Once running the owner simply inserted it back in its usual place and steered it round the barn yard. Perhaps Cathy could have the parking brake lever modified such that it could be a lethal club or simply a parking brake? One benefit would be that once put back in its usual place, the police could not find her weapon of assault.

Gwen

Great idea

With that parking brake lever. Perhaps you should apply for a patent.

Self-defense

From all that I have been reading and seen so far, in the UK, they have no legal right to self-defense as far as I can see. It would appear that over there your only recourse is to dial their version of 911 and then let your attacker kill you while you wait for the Plod to arrive to take your body away. I have even heard of cases over there where the victim of an attack was arrested and prosecuted for defending themselves.

This is also slowly taking place here in the US as well. The Criminals are being turned into the oppressed victims from what I can see. :(

baseball bats, cricket bats

baseball bats, cricket bats and a torque wrench. You are prepared indeed. Perhaps Cathy can put the proper pressure on the head of one or two of the over stupid perps? :-)

Torque Wrench?

Maddy Bell's picture

I'm sure Cathy has something less valuable but as effective in her tool box - a big adjustable maybe?


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

My thoughts exactly.

I'd just carry a big spanner. Although I have a very fearsome club my grandfather brought back from the Boer War, that might be construed as a weapon - well I suppose it is :)

More mayhem for the Cameron household. Such an average family, too.

Robi

Cathy is wealthy

If she wants to use a torque wrench as a weapon why not?

But, but

If she hits them hard enough she will have to pay for them to be recalibrated! ^_^

It's not the size of the tool

It's not the size of the tool, it's how you use it! Aim for nerve clusters or key muscles and you incapacitate arms, hands, legs, etc. and you can take down the biggest person around.

I've been whacked by those before way too many times to count, trust me when I say those bloody things hurt like heck!

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Ouch

HIt the side of the knee, the elbow, or the collar bone, never the head. Whack them in the head, they don't feel any other hits for a few minutes.
I've been told this by a riot trained Policeman. Ask Nancy Kerrigan, the Olympic figure skater.

Karen