Tammy's Summer Diary - Part 1 "Surprises"

Printer-friendly version
Tamara's Summer Diary - A Tommy & Tamara Interlude

 

Tammy's Summer Diary follows Testing Times for Tammy and it's recommended that you read that first or you will get very confused very quickly! It also ties into Unaccounted Gains.

Monday 22 June 2015

Dear Diary, here we are again. It's a bit corny, but I have to start somewhere.

It shouldn't have been much of a surprise to find Sophie at Wick Airport boarding the same flight, one of the problems had been not knowing the depth of Leanne's treachery. Whilst only Pru, who'd booked the tickets, plus Mum and Dad, had known the actual flight details, could Leanne have overheard us or even seen the tickets?

I was therefore not utterly amazed when, at Birmingham International, instead of catching our connection to London City, we flew to Gatwick instead. They're both London airports, but even I knew there was a world of difference between the two destinations.

I queried Sophie, quietly, but she really wasn't the talkative sort.

Once we landed at Gatwick she led me to one of the long stay carparks and hopped into a black Landrover, one I'd seen in Cornwall over Easter. Twenty minutes later we were at a industrial unit that claimed to be 'Thames Avionics'. She told me we'd be staying here, but from the outside it just looked like an office and a workshop.

Inside there was a security card reader on a door by the sales counter, she told me to use my Caithness Marine card on it and, surprise surprise, it worked!

That led us into an open plan area with a kitchenette off to the side. It was setup as a meeting room. My training would start here, she told me.

Thursday 25 June

We've been at it for a few days now, I can't say I'm enjoying the 10pm bedtimes or the microwave meals, although last night's pizza wasn't bad.

The training hasn't been all bad, mostly to do with operational security and that sort of thing. There was even an hour on how to fill in time sheets and expense claims!

I've had several guest trainers, folk I've never seen before. Sophie really doesn't want to be seen as a teacher so gets on with other things during the day and lets the trainers loose on me.

When it's just the two of us, again, we talk and I try to fill in any gaps in knowledge she has about Thurso and the strange happenings there. I suppose you could call it a debriefing but it's more like a chat. I'm not really a telly nut so I don't have that to occupy my down time. Very soon, however, I'll have to download some new music onto my player and a few new books onto my tablet.

The bed's not too bad but there's no natural light other than a few roof vents in the open area, so it's difficult to gauge what the time is without looking for a clock. There appears to be a phone jammer in use so I've turned my mobile off for now.

Saturday 27 June

Sophie told me last night that we're moving in a day or so, apparently we came here to throw anyone off my scent. All was quiet however.

Thankfully the internet here was pretty good, Jeri sent me an email saying she'd already had a bust up with Tanya, who was at the school for a health and safety course. Of the pair of them, Jeri is definitely the stronger willed, but Tanya wouldn't accept that.

Lori also emailed me, she's at home now and is resting. Her mum's talking to solicitors about suing the school, as Elsie feared. Lori doesn't blame the school, just Tony Thompson, the caretaker and arsonist. She wants to return next year to complete her A levels but wouldn't be able to do that if her mum goes through and sues. I hope they settle it in a friendly way.

My training had moved onto surveillance and counter-surveillance and I must admit I learned alot. I wish I'd been shown some of this beforehand, it might have stopped a pile of trouble.

Sunday 28 June

We went out to lunch today, there wasn't any training going on as it was Sunday. What was clear was just how close to Gatwick Airport we were, planes were taking off or landing every few minutes and the noise was quite intense. Inside the unit you couldn't hear any of it. I would have liked to have eaten in the pub garden but it was impossible to hold a conversation so we sat inside.

When we returned Sophie had me recount what each of the diners around was wearing, who was partnered to whom and anything else I could recall. A few months ago I wouldn't have worried about that kind of detail but now it was becoming second nature.

Instead of going back to the unit we'd headed for the M25 and driven under the Thames at Dartford. I must have fallen asleep as the next thing I remember is us arriving in an underground carpark. I'd been here once before, at Easter. Somehow my bag and all my bits had arrived here before me.

Monday 29 June

It was really nice being able to have a swim in the morning, before breakfast. I'd pack one swimsuit in my hand luggage and the rest of my beachwear was waiting at Newquay airport for me.

I was given a full medical today, my arm's still sore where my blood was extracted. What was worst though was the physical examination, including the use of stirrups - ugh!

I went for a walk in the gardens after that, just before it started raining. There were other people there, some in police uniform, apparently Abigail Adams House is a Met Police training centre. Sophie wasn't around much, in fact I'm not even certain she's staying at the house.

More classroom stuff today, more on counter surveillance. I was in bed by nine, exhausted.

Wednesday 1st July

I was taken into the firing range today and instructed in using a pistol. I wasn't keen on it and asked if I would fail the training if I didn't want to shoot anything? They laughed and told me it wasn't a course and there wasn't anything to fail. It was explained to me that although I probably wouldn't ever carry a weapon, it was useful to at least know which way round to hold it!

It turns out I wasn't too bad but I was really grateful when I returned it to the range officer.

I had an email from Dad at lunchtime asking how I was. I'd been warned to not write anything about the place but apparently the building's official purpose was well known and I could say where I was. I wasn't too happy about that so just said I was near London.

The food here is fantastic, really brilliant. I'm swimming every morning and I've used the gym a few times too.

Suzie came to see me this afternoon, we were able to take a walk in the gardens and found a freezer full of ice-creams near the lake. When we got back to the house we met with Jenny, Suzie's and Heather's boss. Mine too, I suppose.

Jenny told me about some of the work her unit does, and where I can fit into that. When she told me about the money laundering at the University I was really shocked, especially when she said that was the reason I was hired.

It does seem like a silly thing, but why were they investing in me? Then again, does anyone actually have a career plan that starts with: leave school, join spy agency?

Thursday 2nd July

If I thought I knew how to use a camera, uh oh, I was wrong! I had my official camera with me so this technician went through it with me, one step at a time. I learned more about photography today than ever before. Tomorrow we're using photo editing software to tease information out of a photo even if it's out of focus.

Sophie came by to check on me and seemed to be pleased with my fitness when she challenged me to a run around the gardens. Apparently my blood's fine and that crazy glucose figure last month was a blip, nothing more.

I found a plaque in the garden dedicated to the staff and visitors lost due to a terrorist account on 22nd August the previous year. I asked Sophie about it, both she and Heather were in the building when it was attacked. I figured I've been in some crazy situations but nothing compares to that, especially when people were killed. The building was named after one of those people, apparently.

Friday 3rd July

Suzie came back and sat with me as we went through the existing evidence against the University. Of course, the University for the Highlands and Islands wasn't knowingly laundering money but a couple of employees in senior non-academic positions were suspected of manipulating the finances.

I was fully expecting the name Trethgarwyn to crop up but I was disappointed. The main target was Martin Gore, who was responsible for buying services. He was apparently very good at covering up his work as there was never a discrepancy. I looked at the figures, this would require some work on the ground, something I couldn't do yet.

I asked why the police weren't handling the investigation and Suzie told me the other players were Russians and Chinese, the university could lose hundreds of overseas students from these lucrative markets if a full scale investigation was launched when there was so little corroborating evidence. So, see what I could find out and report back.

Sunday 5th July

Another exercise today, this time at a pub near Bishop's Stortford where they served the biggest Sunday lunch I've ever seen. Sophie was my driver and Dave Brown joined us. He wanted to talk about the school.

Apparently the Head is thinking of retiring, but there's no way they could find a replacement before September. So, Dr McIntosh has been persuaded to stay until the end of next year and the search for a replacement will start in the autumn.

Dad hasn't said anything of this to me so I guess it's not public news. Mike Thompson, the deputy head, is retiring next week and will be replaced in time for the new school year.

Of course, Dave was trying to distract me from the task of watching the other diners.

I asked how long I would have to stay at the house and was told that I could leave whenever Jenny was satisfied with my progress. Of course I could quit, but then I wouldn't see Heather.

Dave came back to the house with us and said he'd be monitoring me, that was fine ans he's a really sweet man. Apparently he used to run the finance investigations team, which Jenny now heads up.

Monday 6th July

The start of my second week in this house and the third week of my summer break, and I still haven't seen a beach. My tan is coming along though, and I've lost weight. They put me on a running machine today and tested my oxygen levels, apparently I'm still healthy. Some more blood was taken today, I didn't ask why and probably wouldn't have been told.

That took us until lunchtime and nothing was scheduled for the afternoon. I caught up with some emails, it looks like the school is going to settle with Lori and offer her a place in order to revise and resit her exams, she'll return after Christmas and can have a dorm.

John's back in Thurso and he and Tanya moved into the cottage over the weekend. Tanya has already moaned that she can't go into town when she wants to because John is out of town working with Smith, Smith and Smith Solicitors. It seems she's missed the school bus a few times and swore at one of the drivers, so she's been banned for a few weeks.

Jeri got her provisional driving licence and started her intensive course today. She sounded really positive but took a dislike to the instructor when he asked if she wanted a booster seat.

Angela has managed to get a job in the Dunbar in the crèche. I didn't even know she'd applied, so that was a surprise. She's bought a moped so she can get into town. I wonder if I recognise her when I get back.

Mum and Dad's wedding is 29th of August so I'll have to go back there for a fitting, mum's chosen the bridesmaids' gowns but won't tell me, Sarah passed on my figures. Can't a girl have any secrets?

I had an email from Sandy Franklin announcing auditions for Guys and Dolls on 5th September, Ian has stepped down as director for the youth theatre and they want me to direct the next play! Sandy would still be musical director.

Sophie and I are going to Enfield tomorrow to take surveillance photos in the shopping centre at Burnt Oak. What could possibly go wrong?

tammy_sig.png

up
404 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you Shiraz,

Our girl is back and learning fast----to keep her eyes and ears open and her mouth shut .A bit like the wise old owl !!

ALISON

Something Ominous...

...about that loss of consciousness on her way to Adams House, since her belongings made the trip in less time than she did. But it seems unlikely that they drugged her restaurant meal -- they had several days to gimmick her food when she was at Thames Avionics -- and whatever they were doing with her during this trip couldn't have taken too long since she ought to have noticed a major time discrepancy after she arrived. She awakened in an underground parking lot, so she might not have noticed immediately, and this is summer, with longer days, but still...

Posthypnotic suggestion is a tempting guess, possibly done in the garage itself, but if so, it's presumably connected with her training, and I can't figure out what they'd be looking for.

Anyway, I wasn't expecting to see the story continue without a break, and I'll bw glad to see where we go from here.

Eric

Something Ominous...not really

The secret drug is Sunday Lunch on an English midsummer day, followed by a trip on the M25 - associated by many with Chris Rea's 'Road to Hell' album!
Reader 442

The road to hell

shiraz's picture

Just trying to think of a really lousy experience that's fully legal - doing a full circuit of the M25 (117 miles or 188 km) with the radio stuck on BBC Radio 2 playing wall to wall Chris Rea.

Hang on, wasn't that last week?

Shiraz

- - - -

Paperback cover Boat That Frocked.png

The Road to Hell

Alecia Snowfall's picture

The Road to Hell by Chris Rea is a great song! Love it!

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

famous last words...

Alecia Snowfall's picture

Famous last words...'what could go wrong?' anything and everything!

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

It's right there with the

It's right there with the phrase "things have been quiet lately".

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

All Dull Routine!

joannebarbarella's picture

As if that's likely with TammyTroubleMagnet.

Wow, Tanya finally met

Wow, Tanya finally met someone who wouldn't put up with her tossing her weight around and it seems like Jeri is using it to build her confidence.

I am happy that Lori should be on her way back to the school, but it still sucks that she lost a year and her health because of a scumbag.

It's good that Suzi is taking her job seriously and helping Tammy work, she may be becoming her stepsister but she is doing them both a great service by keeping Tammy on-point there.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

"Surprises" and a Nice One at That!

Like I think everyone else I thought we would have a while before the next of Tammy's adventures. So "Surprises" is an apt chapter title.
Thank-you Shiraz for such a lovely, Surprise!

Sophie

good story

good story

primed and ready to go

Our girl has been given some tools to work with and I can forsee lots of action over the rest of her summer and when she gets back to the University. I do hope Elsie, the Mc.Pherson Matriarch is going to be around to keep this lot in some sort of order! I wonder if Tammy is in line for clan leadership in the future, not sure how the clan system works if you dont actually have the name ties?

Actually, around Tammy

it is something you should ask, often. I might not help, but it sure can't hurt.

Bishop's Stortford

I've heard about that town! Although being in the north-west corner of Greater London its football team ended up in Conference North.

Not quite

Calling Bishops Stortford part of Greater London is pushing things a bit, ok it is near to London Stansted airport*, but it's closer to the centre of Cambridge than the centre of London and the area known as Greater London is almost entirely within the M25 motorway.

Still a bit of a surprise its football team ended up in Conference North, maybe there were/are a lot more teams in the area below London and in the South West?

* Which is to London what BWI is to Washington and only slightly better than Ontario Airport to LA

-
You can't choose your relatives but you can choose your family.

My grasp of UK geography

My grasp of UK geography might not be the best, I admit :)

Still a bit of a surprise its football team ended up in Conference North, maybe there were/are a lot more teams in the area below London and in the South West?

I do not remember the exact reason, but indeed it was caused by an imbalance between northern vs southern club going and down.
The wiki pages on the conference are quite good, I must say, showing the locations of each season's contestants.
See map for football division of England at this level:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:English_Football_Conferen...

Diary required?

Jamie Lee's picture

Was Tammy required to keep a diary or was it her own volition? Might she have unknowingly provided training information which should not get out? Or the exercises they had her do, the University for instance.

Before they had her do field work while at school, why didn't she have this training first? To see if she could do the work and how she would handle the unknown?

About time someone pulled Tanya up short. It's been needed for a long time. Is the cottage that far from the school that Tanya can't walk to the school? Welcome to the real world!

Settling with the school by letting Lori reset for the exams and staying in the girls dorm was the best outcome for all, except for the grounds keeper.

What was the meaning behind Dave saying that Tammy could quit, but wouldn't get to see Heather? Have they sussed there something between Tammy and Heather? Something serious?

Others have feelings too.

St. Andrews staff turnover

So far, most of the Senior Leadership Team have left - either by force or by request. It's going to be a very different place - and not just because of the additional cohort of students!

As for the security of these diary entries, if compiled IRL they'd likely be heavily encrypted using kilobit keys (so way beyond AES256 and a beast to encrypt / decrypt - for a few thousand words of text, a few milliseconds, but for anything larger than a few megabytes, several seconds).


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

I could make a list?

TheCropredyKid's picture

What could possibly go wrong?

Wow. How has she managed to get to age eighteen and had the kinds of adventures she's had and still not know better than to say things like that where Murphy might be listening?

 
 
 
x

Well that suurely

Screwed the pooch. What can go wrong indeed. Bombings, snipers, loss lead sales with limited stock, just ask Mr. Murphy.