The Might-Have-Been Girl Chapter 32

Printer-friendly version
Teen blonde-hair.jpg
The Might-Have-Been Girl

A novel by Bronwen Welsh


Copyright 2016
 



I thought I was getting a new job, but it turned out to be a whole new life


Chapter 32   Wedding Preparations

Rehearsals continued and seemed to be going very well. A curious thing happened during the week. I had the good fortune to be asked to play Ophelia in a rehearsal of her final scene where she has gone mad after being rejected by Hamlet. Dame Emily was playing the Queen, with Reg Oldham, understudy for the King.

It is a very emotional scene, more for the other players than Ophelia, who sings and talks nonsense throughout, but the important thing is to make the audience as well as the players feel sympathy for her. I have always immersed myself in the characters I play, some might say too much, but I don't think so.

I came to my final lines -

'I hope all will be well. We must be patient; but I cannot
choose but weep to think they would lay him i' th' cold ground.
My brother shall know of it; and so I thank you for your good
counsel. Come, my coach! Good night, ladies. Good night, sweet
ladies. Good night, good night.'

At this point I left the stage, and when I walked onto it again it was to see Dame Emily wiping a tear from her eye.

“Excellent Harriet, truly excellent,” she said as though her throat was constricted, and she gave me a hug.

Reg added his congratulations “I've never seen Ophelia played better,” he said.

This was getting a bit embarrassing, after all, I was only the understudy.

Tony came up onto the stage and said “Well done Harriet. Now I have a favour to ask of you. I need to run through the scene again with Phoebe tomorrow and Dame Emily won't be here. You've probably heard that her understudy Madge has a really bad cold so she's staying away for a few days to avoid spreading it around the cast. Would you mind playing Queen Gertrude tomorrow?”

“No, of course not, I'd be happy to,” I replied. So the following day I was on-stage again in the same scene but this time as Queen Gertrude. In some ways it seemed rather strange to be watching Phoebe speak and sing the same lines I had done the day before, while I played another character. Both Reg and I congratulated her of course. You will wonder what I thought of her performance compared to my own. Well that's really not for me to say, but she is a competent actress and performed very well.

--ooOoo--

Tony was finishing Friday rehearsals about four o'clock in order to give us all a full weekend off. Once the play opened there would be a matinee and evening performance each Saturday, so we would only have Sundays off.. On Friday I took my small suitcase and makeup case into the theatre, so that I could go straight to the railway station once we had finished.

I took the four-thirty train for the forty-five minute journey to Birmingham's Moor Street Station. It was then necessary to walk over to New Street Station, about five minutes away in order to take the train to York, where I arrived about eight-thirty, and finally the train to Bridchester, arriving about nine-thirty, so it was quite a journey. I thought to myself that I should seriously think about getting the driving lessons I had promised myself and then buying a small car. Since that time I've made the journey by car many times and while it takes about the same length of time, it seems shorter, not having the changes of trains and waiting around on drafty platforms.

Emma was at the theatre when I arrived home, but Mum welcomed me with open arms.

“Darling, it's so lovely to see you again,” she said, although it hadn't been many weeks since I saw her last. We hugged, and then she held me at arm's length and said “Look at you! You become more the young lady every time I see you.”

“It's great to see you too Mum. How's Emma?”

“She's going well. She had some morning sickness but it's just about gone now, and she's looking really well.”

“Were you as shocked as I was when you heard the news?”

“I confess I was, but I'm really happy for them. David will make a great father I'm sure. I've seen how he is with his daughter Penny.”

I took a deep breath. “Mum, I'm thinking of coming back to Brid when the Stratford season is over.”

“Why on earth would you do that?” she asked.

“Well, I'm getting a bit homesick. I've been away quite a few months.”

“Harriet!” she scolded. “You're a very good actress, you could say it as though you really meant it. I know the real reason; you're worried about me being on my own aren't you?”

I flushed. “Yes of course I worry Mum. What if you got sick again?”

“Well Emma and David will be living only ten minutes away, and I'm going to get one of those gadgets you wear around your neck so I can call for help if I ever need it.”

“That's a great idea,” I replied.

“Oh, and another thing, I'm getting a little job. Emma told me that there is a vacancy coming up in the ticket office at the theatre. She recommended me and they're taking me on. It's a few hours a day, but it will get me out and the money will come in useful as well.”

I felt a wave of relief come over me. Of course I didn't want to come back to Brid at this time, but I felt torn between my career and family responsibility.

“You mustn't come back here right now,” said Mum. “Your career is really taking off. I can see you getting another part, and not as an understudy. Maybe it will be at Stratford or maybe even the West End, who knows? Now how about something to eat?”

It's true that food on trains and railway stations is not exactly gourmet fare, so when Mum produced a casserole she had made that day, I was more than ready for some good nourishing home cooking. Not long afterwards, Emma arrived home and there were more hugs. Then she sat down to a small plate of casserole and in between mouthfuls asked me how the rehearsals were going, so of course I had to bring her up to date. I asked about David and the baby and how the wedding preparations were going, and it was nearly midnight by the time we went to bed.

--ooOoo--

The following morning we were up about eight o'clock, ready for breakfast. Emma had previously checked out the shops in Bridchester and there was nothing she fancied as a wedding dress, so we were going to York instead. David arrived shortly after with Penny.

“Hi everyone. Goodness Harriet, you're looking amazing,” he said. “I don't think you've met Penny before.”

Penny was clutching David's hand, shy at meeting someone new, so I stooped down to her level to talk to her.

“Hello Penny, I'm please to meet you. You can call me Harriet or Aunty Harriet, whichever you like.”

“Aunty Harriet, I think,” she said.

“Good. We'll we're going to have a fun time today, just us girls. We're going to buy some really pretty dresses for the wedding, and you must help us chose the one that's perfect for you, alright?” She nodded in response.

I stood up and addressed David. “Do you think Penny would be happier if you came along too?”

“Oh Good Lord,” he responded. “Trawling around dress shops all day isn't my cup of tea.” Turning to Penny he said “Will you be alright going with the other ladies to York today?”

Emma took over then and said “I'm sure she'll be alright, it's a 'girls' day out' today, and we're going to have a lot of fun.”

Penny didn't respond but she still looked a bit doubtful and I hoped she was going to be alright.

With breakfast finished, we got into the car, with Mum and Emma, who was driving, in the front, and Penny and I in the back. Penny seemed to be more relaxed and started talking to me.

“Daddy says you are an actress too,” she said.

“Yes, that's right,” I replied. “I'm working in Stratford-Upon-Avon now. That's where William Shakespeare was born. Have you heard of him?”

“Yes, Daddy says he lived a long time ago and wrote lots of plays,” she responded.

“That's right. Well I'm what's called an understudy in a play called 'Hamlet'. That means that if the lady playing the part can't do it for some reason, then I will replace her,” I said.

“Is that going to happen?” she asked.

“Well I don't know, but I have to be there just in case. People pay to come along to watch the play and we wouldn't want to disappoint them.”

“I suppose not,” she replied.

Then changing the subject I said. “This is exciting, I've never been a bridesmaid before, have you?” I asked this knowing the answer as I'd already asked Emma about Penny to have some background information and not put my foot in it about her mother.

“Yes, I was a bridesmaid when Daddy's sister got married last year,” she replied.

“Oh, well you know all about it then, so I can ask you if I need to know what to do,” I said, and that seemed to go over very well.

--ooOoo--

It took us about an hour to get to York, and after parking the car, we decided that a drink and something to eat was necessary to fortify us for some serious shopping. Suitably fueled we started walking around the shops, visiting several 'wedding boutiques' until Emma finally found the 'perfect gown' in pale cream silk chiffon, and for me we found a similar silk chiffon gown in pale blue.

Then it was time to find something for our junior bridesmaid, and after a visit to another boutique we found a sleeveless organza knee-length dress with a flared skirt in the same colour as my gown. When Penny came out of the change-rooms with Emma, she looked so pretty that we were really impressed and showered her with compliments. She looked thrilled and confirmed that this was the dress that she wanted to wear.

The next stop was to find Mum's 'mother of the bride' outfit and of course it had to be something that both she and Emma liked. Finally we found the perfect dress for Mum, who had quite a slim figure. It was a lace dress in royal blue with a cropped jacket with three quarter sleeves, and came with a matching hat. Mum looked so stylish wearing it. She started to quibble about the price but I told her it was my treat and a small recompense for all that she had done for me. I could tell she was absolutely thrilled with it.

By now we were more than ready for lunch, so we called into a cafe and had a really nice meal. The final step was to find suitable shoes to go with the dresses and that took another good two hours. It was just as well that Emma had parked the car in one of the parks where you pay on the way out. Clothes shopping always takes longer than you expect. By the time we arrive back in Bridchester it was nearly four o'clock. Emma had kept David posted on our progress, so he wasn't worried that we had taken so long. I was a little concerned about her having to go to the theatre after such a long day shopping, but she assured us she was alright. Fortunately she only had a small part in the new production, as I thought she looked tired.

Mum had already seen the play, but I went to the performance at her insistence. I debated what to wear and settled on my tea-length fuchia dress with a bateau neckline and fitted bodice which flared into a full pleated skirt. I'd only worn it twice before, and teamed it with sheer stockings and black court shoes with six inch heels. Thank goodness I'd left it at home. I showed it to Mum first and asked if she thought it was too 'dressy' for a night at the theatre. She thought it was fine and when I was dressed, she told me I looked lovely, and that was all I needed to know.

Everyone performed well, but perhaps having now mixed with the cream of Britain's acting talent I found myself taking a more critical look at the performances, and thinking where particular scenes could be done better. However I didn't say anything, but congratulated all the cast when I went round to the dressing rooms afterwards. I wouldn't have wanted them to think I was getting to be a snob, and indeed hoped that I wasn't.

Mary was there and came over to give me a hug. “Wow Harriet, you look amazing,” she said.

“Thank you. You performed very well,” I replied, which was true.

“Well, I'm sitting out the next production because there isn't a suitable part for me,” she replied. “But you are doing so well, Stratford, no less.”

“Well in a way it's all due to you and your appendix,” I replied. “I might never be doing what I'm doing if it wasn't for that. Anyway, I'm an understudy, so I might never get a chance to go on stage at all.”

“Even if you don't, it's still going to look good on your C.V.,” she replied.

When Emma drove us back to the house, she also complimented me on my appearance. “You look like a really sophisticated young lady. How are the hormones going?” she asked.

“Well I've only been on them a week so I can't really tell but I feel there are slight changes in my breasts and I might have to stop wearing the breast forms soon. I also seem to be getting a few mood swings, but the doctor told me to expect that.”

“Well it's all part of growing up to be a girl,” she replied. “David tells me that Penny hasn't stopped talking about you since she got home, so you've made a fan there.”

“Well I'm glad we got on so well,” I replied. “It must be hard for her with her mother away and hardly ever seeing her.”

“Well David would never stop her seeing her mother, but she's over in America at present and we're not sure when she's coming back.”

“Poor kid. She's such a sweet little thing; she deserves better,” I said. “I know that ever since Cinderella, stepmothers have had bad press, but I'm sure you'll be a really good one.”

“And you'll be a good aunty too,” she said.

--ooOoo--

Sunday morning I was up about eight o'clock, put my dressing gown over my nightdress and went down to the kitchen. Mum was there making toast and boiling the kettle.

“Emma's still in bed,” she said. “I won't disturb her. She's looking very tired, and I'm glad the play is nearly finished. Pregnancy takes it out of a woman.”

'I only wish I had the opportunity to feel that,' I thought. 'But we can't have everything we want in life.'

I stayed until after lunch by which time Emma was up, and she drove me to the railway station for the trip back to Stratford.

“Now you get as much rest as you can,” I said, and she laughed.

“You sound like Mum,” she said.

“No, I sound like a concerned aunty,” I replied. “As far as Penny is concerned, it seems that I'm one already. What happens to her while you and David are at the theatre?”

“She stays with David's sister Susan. I don't think you've met her yet but you will on our wedding day. She's very nice and so kind in looking after Penny. She says it's practise for when she has children of her own.”

“Well, I'll see you in three weeks,” I said.

With that we hugged and I walked down the platform and got on the train. The journey back to Stratford was uneventful, and I arrived there about seven o'clock. Phoebe was out but came back an hour later. We watched some television together and then I went to bed.

--ooOoo--

We were back at rehearsals on Monday and everything seemed to be going very well. While most of my rehearsals were with the other understudies, I did get the occasional opportunity to rehearse with cast members. On Wednesday I had a scene with Polonius, Ophelia's father who was being played by Sir John McKenna. By now I had overcome my original 'star-struck' attitude to the famous names and faces I was coming into contact with. Most of them, like Dame Emily were very unassuming and friendly people.

As the scene progressed, and it was going really well, Sir John paused and I suddenly realised he was experiencing the actors' worst nightmare – a 'dry'. I quietly whispered his next line and he took it up like the trooper he is and we finished the scene well. Later he sought me out and taking my hand, patted it and said “Thank you so much my dear, you got me out of a hole there.” I smiled at him and murmured “My pleasure.”

I didn't think Tony had seen what happened, but it appears not much escapes him, as a little later he took me aside and said “Nicely done, Harriet. I'm sure an audience would never have noticed.”

Looking back now, I can't help wondering if the two of them had set it up to test my reaction to a mini-crisis on stage, and see if I panicked.

Returning to the flat that evening, I found Phoebe already there and in a state of ill-concealed excitement. It was her turn to provide tea which often meant 'take-away', so I wasn't surprised to see plastic boxes on the kitchen table and the unmistakable aroma of Chinese food.

“You need to sit down, Harriet,” she said. “I've got something to tell you.”

To be continued

I would like to acknowledge the assistance of Louise Anne in proofreading the text and giving me a great deal of useful advice about modern-day Britain to incorporate in the story.

up
323 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Well, Here It Comes...

Sounds to me as though Phoebe's going to miss opening night -- can't think of anything else that'd elicit both "you need to sit down for this" and "I've got something to tell you". I don't think a long-term absence would necessarily guarantee Harriet the part, since they'd presumably have to re-cast.

Eric

What are you suspecting?

I'm suspecting that she's going to tell her latest bestie that she just found out she's pregnant, which means even less when it comes to the part, but it'd certainly mean a lot to Phoebe and could cause her to behave in this manner.

It takes a long time for most women to begin to "show", and even then, things can be done to disguise it if a woman does begin to show in normal clothing. There's not even a guarantee she'll EVER show. Some women never really do, but Phoebe's been described as thin enough she most likely will.

I can't imagine Stratford insisting she quit or even take time away over a little thing like pregnancy, and the season isn't to run nearly long enough for her to come due if she's only just found out.

Abigail Drew.

It would seem so.

Christina H's picture

Is Phoebe heading back to the world of television or is she pregnant too?????

Harriet is going to make a great Aunty if she gets time with her theatre career.

Still loving the story immensely.

Christina

Damning with faint praise

waif's picture

"You will wonder what I thought of her performance compared to my own. Well that's really not for me to say, but she is a competent actress and performed very well"

It is good to see that Harriet is human, after all. We all know that Phoebe cannot hold a candle to our Harriet. She may be a might-have-been girl, but she is a 100% real person.

I love her to death.

Be kind to those who are unkind, tolerant toward those who treat you with intolerance, loving to those who withhold their love, and always smile through the pains of life.

Wonderful chapter Bronwyn !

Harriet is really becoming a lovely young lady,and it's starting to show in her attitude and appearance. Her acting skills are
starting to show more and more, as her confidence grows.
I for one, would not be surprised to see her in the starting role, with someone else as stand-in.

Karen

family is growing

She did well with Antonette and impressed Penny to the point of idolizing, Harriet will make an amazing mother some day.

I still believe that things are going too well for Harriet and something will happen to dampen her good spirits. Maybe it'll be whatever Phoebe tells her, maybe it will be back home during the wedding but I just can't shake this bad feeling

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Just A Touch Of Bitchiness

joannebarbarella's picture

If anything proves that Harriet is 100% girl it is that little disdainful summation of another actress's performance (giggle).

Cliffhangers, cliffhangers!

Good additions

Jamie Lee's picture

These latest chapters show life goes on for Harriet. And are good additions to the story.

So what news is Phoebe anxious to tell?

Others have feelings too.

Hoping

Emma Anne Tate's picture

Hoping good things for your Emma. Harriet of course is the star, and Emma has very much taken a backseat, in both the story and in careers. But her support in helping Harriet launch as a young girl was so beautifully handled; I hope that she finds her new life fulfilling and doesn’t get consumed by jealousy.

Emma