Rules Are Rules: 54. Ah-Ah-Ah!

Printer-friendly version

Before lunch was over, the PA cracked on. "Students, I want to wish you all a safe and happy vacation. We look forward to seeing you back on Monday. Unfortunately, one of our students will *not* be returning, and I think you all know who I mean."

Rules Are Rules: A Marcie Donner Story, by Kaleigh Way

 
54. Ah-Ah-Ah!

 

It was the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. My last day of school in Tierson. Maybe the last day I'd see Carla, Eden, and Jerry. Ever.

I went in early to say goodbye to Mr. Bryant and Denise. Denise gave me a hug. Mr. Bryant said how much he'd miss "all the excitement" and he wished me well.

Then, when I was about to leave, he caught my arm and said, "Marcie," in a soft voice. When I turned back to face him, he hesitated, then said, "I've spoken on the phone with your new principal. She seems quite professional, and I have no doubt that she's good at what she does..."

Uh-oh, I thought. This doesn't sound good.

"The thing is, sometimes school can really take the life out of a child, do you know what I mean?"

"I guess so," I said uncertainly.

"What I'm trying to tell you is... what I'm trying to say... is that you have to trust your own heart above all else, regardless of what people in authority tell you."

My jaw dropped in astonishment. "Mr. Bryant–" I began, but he interrupted.

"I hope you know me well enough to realize that I'm not advising anarchy or a life of crime and rebellion."

I nodded.

"And I wouldn't give this advice to everyone..."

I nodded again.

"What I'm trying to say is that, sometimes when adults are too strict, the wisest thing a student can do is find a way to bend without breaking. I hope you know what I'm getting at."

"I think so," I said. "You're telling me that my next principal is a real–

"Ah-ah-aah!" he cautioned with a raised forefinger.

"Okay," I said. "I get it. Thanks."


From there I visited Ms. Price and Ms. Tandy, since I wouldn't have class with them.

Ms. Price was nice; she hugged me and told me to try for the field hockey team at my new school. "Do something athletic," she said, "You're a natural."

Ms. Tandy didn't hug me, but she did give me her phone number and email address. "Keep in touch," she said. "I'll always be wondering what you're up to. And if you ever need somebody to talk to, I'm here." I was surprised and touched.

Then, with a twinkle in her eye, she asked whether I wanted the doll that fell off the train. "I still have it," she said. "It works, but I can't really use it."

I declined, horrified.

When she saw the look on my face, she laughed so hard she had to clutch her stomach. "I was only kidding, you silly! I'm going to keep that thing for myself! It's priceless!"


At lunch, the girls gave me going-away gifts. Carla gave me an address book, with the name, address, phone number, and email address of every freshman in school. Some of them wrote notes. I cried when I opened it, and had to shut it so I didn't blot any of the writing.

Eden gave me a framed photo of the three of us. I'd never seen the picture before. In it, Carla was obviously saying something funny. She was smiling, Eden was giggling, and I was laughing.

"Oh," Carla said, "I love that picture!"

"It's a good one of all three of us," Eden commented.

"Who took it?" I asked.

"Cory's friend, whats-his-name?"

"The chicken guy?" I offered. Eden nodded. She pulled out another, bigger package that was obviously another framed picture.

"This one's from Cory," she said. "It's really special to him. It's an original."

It turned out to be a cartoon based on the one that was banned, when I climbed the outside of the school building. It showed Cory wheezing and me coming to the rescue: climbing the building (in a ridiculously short skirt!) and climbing back down with the backpack in one hand.

The last panel showed everyone from school looking out the windows and doors, saying, "WE'LL MISS YOU!"

Again, I had tears in my eyes, but through them I could see the little drawn figures of Jerry, Mr. Bryant, Ms. Price, Denise, Mahon The Man and Cassie, Pat and Carla — even Mrs. Zeff!

Eden and Ms. Tandy stood on either side of Cory.

"He was particularly proud of this guy," Eden said. "He knew you were close to him." She pointed out a figure peeking out the door to the basketball court.

"Oh, my God!" I gasped, and started crying out loud. It was Mr. Bruce!

When I was able to compose myself, I turned to look at the boyfriend table and mouthed a Thank you! to Cory.

Before lunch was over, the PA cracked on. Mr. Bryant spoke.

"Students, I want to wish you all a safe and happy vacation. We look forward to seeing you back on Monday. Unfortunately, one of our students will *not* be returning, and I think you all know who I mean."

"Oh, no!" I whispered. Carla and Eden smiled conspiratorially.

"It's unusual for a freshman to make such a mark on the school. It's unusual for any student to display courage in the face of danger, to think quickly and do the right thing in a moment of crisis, but it's very rare when someone does those things over and over again. I know that I speak for all of the teachers and most, if not all, of the students when I say that we'll miss wondering what new adventure each week will bring.

"Please join me in a round of applause and thanks to Marcie Donner for her selfless acts of courage, for her quick thinking, and for keeping us all on the edge of our seats. Goodbye, Miss Donner. We will miss you!"

Everyone in the cafeteria began to applaud. People started standing up. I cried and cried.

Jerry came up next to me and said, "Do you want to say anything?" He waved everyone into silence, and helped me to stand on my chair.

"I just want to say thanks to all of you, and I will miss you, too!"

Jerry helped me down, and led me down the hall toward the front door. I handed him an evelope addressed to Nina. "It's the lifetime pass to the Little Train," I told him.

He handed me a brown manila envelope. "This is from Cassie," he said. "It's Cosmo." I smiled.

Jerry had already given me his present: a gold bracelet, which I was wearing proudly.

Everyone followed us, and someone started singing, to the tune of the Bye Bye Birdie theme, "We love you Marcie, oh yes we do..." It was sappy and silly, but it was breaking my heart.

We went out the front door, and Jerry turned me to face the building. A big, homemade banner hung from the second-floor windows. It read "WE WILL MISS YOU!"

It was like Cory's drawing come to life! Except that one person was missing... I looked over to the gym door, knowing that Mr. Bruce wouldn't be there. At that moment I knew that Cory's picture that would be my last image of Mr. Bruce, replacing the last time I saw him in real life...

Thanks, Cory! Thanks, Mr. Bruce!

I kissed Jerry like I would never kiss anyone ever again. I hugged Carla, hugged Eden, then got into the car with my mother. We drove away, and I cried as if I could never stop.

Tierson High rolled away behind us, and then Tierson itself.

Soon we were on the long, featureless highway to Sacramento Airport.

"Are you okay, hon?" Mom asked, reaching over to pat my leg.

"Yeah," I sighed, wiping away the last tears.

"I think you'll find good friends in New Jersey, the same way you found them here," she said.

"I hope so," I said. "But one thing's for sure: I'm not going to do anything crazy or dangerous any more. No more adventures."

Mom smiled. "That will be a relief."

"I want to be an ordinary girl with an ordinary life," I said. "Period. The End."

"Okay," Mom agreed. "One ordinary life, coming up!"

© 2006, 2007 by Kaleigh Way


Marcie's adventures continue in What Maisie Knew.

up
198 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

You must be a Kleenex shareholder…

…Kayleigh, ’coz after today's Finale, everyone on BC will be rushing out to buy a new supply. A lovely ending to Book 1 of Marcie's adventures.

Do we really have to wait A WHOLE WEEK to find out what happens when she gets to NJ?

Hugs from an impatient

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Hilarious Hugs

This story has been a delightful, zany, not to mention emotional roller-coaster ride, and I have enjoyed every episode of it.

I shall be in a state of anxiety for a week until Marcie returns in Book the Second.

Hilarious Hugs from
Hilary

An ordinary girl with a...

... period

"I want to be an ordinary girl with an ordinary life," I said. "Period. The End."

Sorry - it fits your story line so well. I wouldn't be surprised to find out some time in the next book that she gets one, thinks it's the end, and then...

"Thanks for the memories..." (sorry dating myself using that song...)

Makes me think of…

…a song about the Jaws movie—“Fangs for the Memory”!

Giggling
Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

GROAN!

And I was just referring to Mr. Hope... Thinking his name was appropriate to miss Marcie.

Or even ...

... Thanks for the mammaries :)

Geoff

Teething troubles…

…could bring

Fangs for the mammaries ;-D

Any more for the (Sky)lark?

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

No

No, that was period as in full stop.

I know.

But the likelihood of Marcie doing a full stop (& not generating excitement) is much lower than her likelihood of actually having a period I'm thinking.

Great body, Kaleigh!

Kaleigh:

It's a very touching ending, I cried through it again.
Anyone who tells you that you don't do the emotion stuff
well, couldn't be very well liked.

It is a great story, and an impressive body of work.
I Loved every minute of it. Thank you for sharing. You've
made many a morning for me.

Sarah Lynn

Kaleigh, Thanks For Giving Us Marcie

Marcie is a wonderful girl and well worth reading. Her madcap misadventures have kept us all in stitches has she has gone from one situation to the next.
She made quite an impact upon everybody and has many friends there that will miss her. Taking on a new school will be a totally new adventure for her.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Mr Bryant's advice

I suspect the following chapters will show Mr. Bryant should have warned the new principal of Marcie. The principal is about to have an interesting life. How will the school react to Marcie?

DJ

I had to laugh

I had to laugh at this comment... because I hadn't thought, but things do heat up for the poor woman!

Thanks for 54 Chapters

Of gut busting comedy and tears.Enjoy a well earned week off.Amy

This was something I hadn't expected

A true tear jerker. I was crying through most of it. Very well done Kaliegh, what can I say that already wasn't said. I really enjoyed this series, it was an emotional rollercoaster. Today was an exceptional ride. I haven't cried this much over a story in quite a long time. I so feel for Marcie. She made wonderful friends thanks to Mr. Bruce. He also helped Marcie find out who SHE truely is. He started it all.

Would Marcie have ever surfaced if it was not for him? Would (I forgot Marcie's male name) made this many friends or done this much had he been a guy? Would he have survived the bullying he might have recieved as a guy? I think this school was the best thing that ever happened to him, for he found his true self, and even more valuable, the love and support of his family and relatives.

Looking forward to your sequel.

Hugs
Joni W

Marcie might believe she is

Marcie might believe she is going to have a normal, routine average girl life, but I just don't see that happening. I do see her as an adventure magnet and seeing her having many more adventures in her new school and town with a new group of friends. Marcie's Mom better lots of hair dye, because she is going to have to cover up all the gray hair Marcie is going to give her. J-Lynn

Awwwwwww

*sniff* That's so sad, poor Marcie, though maybe this is for the best, I shudder to think what would happen to her if they ever found out about her biology. Though she made such a lasting imprint, maybe it wouldn't have mattered to much, but I hope that it wouldn't cause Jerry a heart attack. This is so sweet and so ... so wonderful and yet so sad and so tearful. Good job, thank you for this wonderful tale ^^ T_T

 

    I just got to be me :D

 

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

To wonderful goodbyes

Thanks, Kaleigh
That was one of the best endings, wrap-ups and goodbyes I've ever read. Heart-warming and rending at the same time. The best.
Michelle

A WEEK!!!!

Well it will be worth the wait. This has been a very interesting story. I checked daily for new chapters. I hope Marcie has a lot more fun ans adventrures in NJ. Thanks for keeping me interested.

Long Drive

It's a lomg drive from North Central California to New Jersey - It will take her mother a week to drive - Sorry I forgot their flying from Sacramento but the way the weather has been lately they will be struck at the airport for several hours or days before going to there HeHe! Richard

PS: Looking foreward to the new adventures in New Jersey

Richard

Trish and I have just read

Trish and I have just read the final Rules chapter together and we both enjoyed it tremendously. We shed copious quantities of tears because it was very moving but it was such a good story that we didn't mind. I just hope that my daughter does not take it into her head to emulate Marcie in any way, as the blessed sisters at her convent school would take a very dim view of any such shenannigans. She says she wants to send you her own comment tomorrow, but it won't be until she is back from school and she has a netball match tomorrow afternoon.

Best wishes, Kayleigh, and thank you for being so kind to my darling daughter.

Hilary

...

I suspect I have said this before but this story is brilliant, I love it to bits. I was really worried that that would be the end...

But as its not I can continue reading it for a while longer.

One of the sort of stories that makes me want to get up in the morning to read the next exciting part...

Thank you so much. :)

JC

The Legendary Lost Ninja

What a Gal !

.... now who will those wimpy boys go to to bail them out now ;-).

I really look forward to next week.

Thank you, Kaleigh.

Kim

Never a Dull Moment

terrynaut's picture

Thanks so much for this wonderful story. I really enjoyed it and I look forward to the further adventures of Marcie the Wonder Girl in book 2. :)

Hugs

- Terry

Funny

Whatever else it might be, this serial is one of the funniest stories I've read in a while. I've long lost count of the moments I almost fell of my chair from laughing so hard. I understand from the point of view of Marcie, it's not all that funny, but it sure is for us readers. Thanks Kaleigh for sharing this with us.

Hugs,

Kimby

Hugs,

Kimby

Absolutely

I agree she is very funny - almost classically slapsticky as a matter of fact. It occurred to me her swinging finale reminds me of a famous skit of Carol Burnett's where she swings on a vine if I recall properly ( it is a little fuzzy but that was about 30 years ago. )

Kim

One for my treasure box

Dear Kaleigh
I had decided to just enjoy your story in tiny parts, one to three parts a day. But I could not keep that Rule set up for myself. I can only be glad that aoll parts were available when I started to read RAR. I will certainly be as eager as all other readers to see the next capter of our heroess' life. After editing the story to fit my size of page I just had to make a safety-copy on a medium that is not connected to the net, so that it will be preserved more secure.
I join all readers in thanking you for the story so far.
Ginnie

GinnieG

Rules Are Rules

This story kept right on delivering through a final chapter that brought me to tears. It was enjoyable because of he high level of expertise you brought to all aspects of the story.

Congratulations.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

ORDINARY???!!!

That's a laugh!

It's now time to catch up with the rest . . .

Thank you Kayleigh, it's been an absolute hoot.

You're a star

NB

Jessica
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

From begining to End

I just read this in one sitting, from beginning to end. even though I'm a teacher and have to be up for work in less than 5 hours, i couldn't stop. WOnderful read, I'll miss everyone in Tierson so much, and I do love Marcie. I hope her parents sue that hospital for millions.

Now you've done it!

You've made me cry! What a wonderful story! You made me angry, afraid, you name it. Well done!

Hugs,
Lisa

Sincere Thanks

Dear Kaleigh Way,

This tale is the funniest I have ever read. Writing it is quite an achievement, one of which you should be very proud. Marcie is the most hilarious character in the whole TG Genre.
Today was a cold, wet day and I had just finished paying all my monthly bills, and was feeling sad. So I resolved to re-read the adventures of Marcie Donner, and thank you, for making me laugh so much, I dont feel down anymore,

Bless,

Briar

Briar

Rules Are Rules

Thank you for a story as good as Nancy Drew.

Jamesd

Marcie's adventures kept me

Marcie's adventures kept me glued to the screen late into the night, just experiencing one event after another, as she did, without analysis or worry. It was, very literally, a movie expressed in text, and I wasn't actively reading so much as sitting back and enjoying the ride. The ending satisfied and didn't leave me yearning, but I'm looking forward to her next adventures. Well done, and thank you.

Thanks

Nice to see such a lovely comment on such an old one, my first one. Thanks again.

Just read this through again

Angharad's picture

and thoroughly enjoyed it, laughing out loud at times. Thanks again, Kaleigh.

Angharad

Thanks!

You've let me start my day with a smile.

Kaleigh

ordinary life

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

yeah right!

*giggles*
>i< ..:::

Thank you

Thank you for this wonderful party one. I have binge read it.
I will now continue on to the next parts

Again, thank you

Anne Margarete

I appreciate the resurrection

I appreciate your resurrecting this old piece. Hope you like the others!

Hugs,

Kaleigh Way

You came like a comet, blazing your trail..

Podracer's picture

Can't help but picture a Marcie bolide racing across the country, sparking bright chaos in her wake.
Reading this series again, thanks you and I hope that you are still purring, Kayleigh Way.

"Reach for the sun."

Thanks for the comment

It's nice to see a comment appear on this old relic. Thanks for stopping by!

Kaleigh Way

Much appreciated!

Holly, thanks for the comment and for your message. It's nice to know that my very first attempts can still be fun.

Hugs and best wishes,

Kaleigh

I have been having a particularly shitty week…..

D. Eden's picture

This week. Actually for several weeks. This story has helped me to get through the past two days.

Yes, I cried in multiple places - especially the ending, but the fantastic adventures Marcie got into, the way trouble seemed to seek her out like a guided missile, and the quirky sense of humor of the author made this story the high point of the last 48 hours for me.

This has been a good reminder of how the various authors here and the friends I have made have had such a meaningful impact on my life. It always amazes me how the smallest, simplest things can have a disproportionately immense effect.

Thank you to Kaleigh for sharing her talent and sense of humor with me, and thank you to everyone who has helped me or given me advice on this site over the years.

Christmas this year simply hasn’t been the same for me - like many, I am suffering from depression this holiday season. I know I will get through it, but I worry about those who are suffering and on the edge. Please, for me, if you know someone who is, reach out to them and help them weather the season.

Thank you to all, and to all a good night!

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Thank you……

D. Eden's picture

It is greatly appreciated.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Thanks so much for sharing

I'm sorry to hear that this is a difficult holiday for you. You seem such a strong person -- I know that's probably silly to say, but I've built up an image of you from your comments.

It's good to hear that you laughed and cried. I laughed and cried as I wrote it.

I hope that if this season is difficult, that at least it passes quickly for you, and that you do find little things to shed some light and warmth.

Have you seen Miracle on 34th Street? It's my favorite Christmas film, what with everyone doing good for the wrong reasons, and featuring Natalie Wood when she was still a young child.

In any case, remember that there are many of us here at BCTS who think well of you and wish you all the best, all the time.

hugs,

Kaleigh Way

Miracle

Emma Anne Tate's picture

Kaleigh and Dallas both, if you haven’t run across it before, I highly recommend Connie Willis’ novella Miracle, which is both a great and humorous story, and an extended argument on why Miracle on 34th Street is a better Christmas movie than It’s a Wonderful Life. It’s so good it would even cheer up the Grinch.

Dallas, I am so sorry this has been a difficult holiday season for you. I’m sending warmest wishes and the sincere hope that 2024 is a far better year.

Emma

Fun from start to finish!

Emma Anne Tate's picture

This was really a fun story. Just ten weeks, and Mad Marcie leaves a legend!

Emma