Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2875

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2875
by Angharad

Copyright© 2016 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

“D’you mind if we lose the levity, Professor?” asked Waterhouse, “As it seems you claim to be worried about the absence of your father but spend much of the time cracking jokes.”

“I often do when I’m anxious.”

“Now, back to this trade in bogus students...”

“I actually only know what I read from the data, my father had collected. It appears he’d had suspicions that something was happening with O’Connor but he wasn’t sure what. He said nothing until he knew I was experiencing trouble with the vice chancellor.”

“Oh, what sort of trouble?”

“He wanted us to sign new contracts which were effectively gagging orders.”

“To stop you telling what?” Waterhouse seemed to be doing all the talking.

“I don’t know. Most of the things I say about the university are positive or were until O’Connor got the job, he has the ability to make anything feel tarnished or tainted.”

“I’d heard you were one of the more powerful professors in the university?”

“In some ways, since O’Connor’s been here he tends to predicate against anyone but him having much say in anything of any significance. I run the most popular courses, we’re oversubscribed by a factor of two or three. We pay our way and my links with High Street banks help us with occasional sponsorships—it’s all above board and examined by all sorts of auditors at the bank, the university and even the charity commissioners.”

“Why the latter?”

“The bank offered us a long term lease on some woodland which we’ve turned into a nature reserve and have been building a field study centre there for all sorts of study from local schools to post graduate levels. I’m nominally the director and it’s named after a daughter I lost a couple of years ago.”

“Who I believe started out as a boy?”

“What has that to do with anything?”

“Nothing directly, but it does seem a rather regular occurrence to boys who come to stay with you.”

“Is that why you’ve come, you have me down as a terrorist trying to overthrow the tyranny perpetrated by those with a Y chromosome; or is it just good old fashioned transphobia?”

“Neither, although I would take a dim view of anyone who was persuading boys against their wills to turn into girls.”

“I think that makes two of us, three including your mute colleague, or is he just taping the conversation?” I glanced at Fielding and he blushed. What they didn’t know was my iPad was doing exactly the same.

“It makes it easier to clarify statements.”

“Including your prejudices?”

“I wasn’t aware I had any.”

“Apart from the previously mentioned transphobia and misogyny.”

“Misogyny—I fear you are mistaken, Lady Cameron.”

“I think not, I feel a sense of hostility in you. I’m trying to help you as best I can but to start with, isn’t it customary to have a female colleague with you when interviewing women? Or perhaps you don’t consider me female?”

“I believe you are legally female, your past history is of no concern to us...”

“So why did you raise it? Just bully-boy tactics or your own prejudice? I have told you I am concerned about the disappearance of my father and you’ve said nothing about it so far. Just what is your game, Mr Waterhouse?”

“When did you last see the Vice Chancellor?”

“Last night, why?”

“What time?”

“Between six and seven.”

“Do you normally meet him out of office hours?”

“No. I was responding to my investigator’s text.”

“Oh?”

“James Beck asked me to meet him at Southsea Castle. I’d asked him to have a look into O’Connor’s affairs. He’d been out of touch for a few days so when he texted me, I went to see what he wanted.”

“A bit dark and cold for a meeting wasn’t it?”

“Yes—but if he knew where Daddy was, it would be worth it.”

“And did he?”

“No, he was a captive of O’Connor and two other men.”

“So what happened?”

“He told the two men to deal with me and kill James.”

“So how come you’re still here?”

“I ran away.”

“And Beck?”

“I managed to rescue him and we both got away.”

“Leaving a trail of bodies behind you, no doubt. Your reputation goes before you, Lady Cameron.”

“There was some unarmed combat, but I used no weapons and both men were still alive when James and I came back here.”

“So the naked body of a man washed up on Southsea beach had nothing to do with you?”

“I killed no one nor put them in the sea.”

“As we have no evidence to link you at this time, but we do have video evidence of you being around the castle last evening.”

“I don’t recall denying it. If there’s evidence of me I presume there is of O’Connor as well?” I knew there was but I wondered if he did.

“He was seen on camera, but not since. His body isn’t going to turn up needing new teeth and floating in Portsmouth harbour, is it?”

“After what he instructed his men to do to us, if it does, I won’t shed any tears, but I can categorically state that he was alive when he walked off last night. Where he is now—I have no idea. If I did I would tell you.”

“I’m not sure I entirely believe you, Lady Cameron.”

“That’s your problem. I admit I did have a bit of a confrontation with the two henchmen but they walked away from it—well they actually ran away. One of them did have some sort of gun, because he threatened me with it.”

“The man died from a single shot to the head. You didn’t shoot him with his own gun, did you?”

“You seem to have read your background material, so you will also know I have an abhorrence of firearms.”

“Didn’t stop you using one up in Scotland though did it?”

“We were fired upon and in desperation I responded with the only weapon we had.”

“Four people died as a consequence.”

“It was upheld as self defence, especially as it resulted in the protection of my family and two injured police officers.”

“I’m well aware of that, but you still took lives—though you’ve restored some since then, haven’t you?”

“If I’ve helped the professionals, the paramedics, the doctors and nurses once or twice—why do you make it sound like I committed some sort of crime? Isn’t it what anyone would do?”

“I doubt just anyone could raise someone who’s been pronounced dead, Lady Cameron. The last person who did got himself crucified.”

“Is that what you’re trying to do to me?”

“Not at all, but we are aware of most things, even if you think we aren’t.”

“But why are you watching me? You don’t consider I’m a threat to national security, surely?”

“Not at all, but you do have a habit of becoming involved in things other people would run away from.”

I shrugged.

“Thank you for your time, if we hear anything about your missing father we’ll let you know. If you remember something else about the possible whereabouts of Mr O’Connor, do let us know. We’d really like to talk to him.”

“You must be about the only one.”

“It appears no one has seen him since that night at Southsea Castle.”

“Well I had nothing to do with his disappearance, in fact until you told me, I was unaware of it.”

“So you said, Lady Cameron; good day.” His colleague nodded and they both left together.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
246 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

more

Maddy Bell's picture

Of a recap than new action but you have to wonder why Billie's birth gender was brought up - it really had no relevance.


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

If they are really

Investigators why bring up something completely irrelevant unless to try to get Cathy off balance.

Yeppers

Xandra Ion's picture

This is exactly what I was going to say, they mentioned Billie to put Cathy off balance. Calculated risk, but several times in the interview they were provoking her, knowing she's a lioness when it comes to family. I think they had aboveboard intentions, just heavyhanded in the execution.

Also, since the government is keeping an eye on her, and she freely admitted to them about the healing thingy, it does stand to reason a bit that some people might be scared to death of her.

~XI

Typical government overreach

And Europeans have the gall to always complain about the US government doing so much of it. Blighty has far worst problems with their 'security' services.

Will the VC turn up dead?

Rhona McCloud's picture

Surely that is too convoluted even for you Angharad but the police do seem to be treating Cathy as a murder suspect against whom any tactics might be used. If on the other hand O'Connor turns up to work is the paper trail enough to unseat him?

Rhona McCloud

They have enough to charge her.

She at stated she was with him last night. She has motive to do him harm. Had access to a gun. Cathy really should have a lawyer before she talks to the LEO or the anyone else. She is obviously guilty of something. Most of the former government employees would love to see her in jail. Likely a good number of current government employees feel the same.

With apparent pull and reach

With apparent pull and reach the VC has, I'm left wondering if these two "upstanding officers of the law" were not actually there on behalf of the VC to see what Cathy actually knows or knew, after they met at the castle.
He does know that she knows more about him than he wants out there publicly, and he may have gone into hiding just to bide his time until he can formulate another plan of attack.
Sadly, this time I do believe he will try it through her children and THAT will be the biggest mistake of his misbegotten life.

My impression is still

they are fishing. They are no friends of Cathy, and possibly not of justice. They seem to have their own agenda.

fishy

"So you said" as they depart...yeah, sorry but that's a big red flag to me.The line of questioning, the attempts to trip her up, the refusal to do anything about Tom's disappearance just don't give off the "we are trying to do something" vibe. If they were truly watching him they would know about his meeting with Cathy and what happened, so either their surveillance stinks or they are trying hard to save face by trying to pin a murder on Cathy despite no evidence at all.

I don't think this is then end of those two, they are going to reappear and Cathy is going to have their badges and pensions over their actions.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

I Still Feel

Christina H's picture

that these guys are not squeaky clean and don't have a pension to worry about. His final statement "So you say" does indicate that Cathy is a suspect which even to the usual dim standards of the police is amazing that they made the connection - her being the last person to see the good old VC and leaving a trail of dead bodies behind her.

This is beginning to be a really convoluted story line - or has oil and gas been discovered under the nature reserve that the university owns hence the gagging order on the contract???

Thanks as always Angharad.

Christina

Like two accomplished

fencers Cathy and the two men circle each other probing for weaknesses , Having found that Cathy was not in the mood for games the two men have left , Maybe now Cathy can get on with the serious . business . of finding Tom , Whilst I feel like more than hopeful he is safe and well there is always that little worry at the back of your mind that O'Connor reached him first !

Kirri

Our government at work!

These guys need a high colonic then be sent on a 10k hike..
That should flush out who's good and who's bad. ;-)

Karen