Julina of Blackstone - 064 - Stating Point Of View

Printer-friendly version

There are points to be made

grakh
 
Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles, Book 2

by Julia Phillips

064 – Stating Point Of View


Disclaimer:

The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended.
This story is copyright © 2013 - 2020 Julia Phillips. All rights reserved.

It uses some of the associated characters and situations that arise from the world called ‘Anmar’ created by Penny Lane, whose stories
are also copyright © 2010 - 2020 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.


Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles
064 – Stating Point Of View

“Maker! Papa! What have you done, you ked? You must go. Now! Go! Go!”

He opened his mouth to say something else, but Kelly sent him and Master Pocular out before any further word could be uttered. I believe 'twas only then that both men realised that poor Venket had obviously been mistreated by someone of whom she was terrified – someone who was probably a man since she was fine when reacting with the girls. Loud voices, barked orders, all were problems for her. Or so it appeared.

“Kassama! Is there a spare bed in this house at all? This child cannot go home this night. I deem she is safer here than anywhere else. I would take her to mine, but Papa shall be there, the one to have terrified her just now.” I gathered the poor girl in my arms as I knelt down next to her.

“If the worst comes to the worst, I have a truckle bed under mine. I could always make that up for her. Let me go and ask Mistress Michet what she would prefer.”

“Could you also run next door and fetch Vittima or Haka? Not Suril, I suspect, but he shall certainly have some work to do, to find out the cause of all this! I deem that something serious has been going on for a long time.”

I saw some of the others shudder as I said those last words. Later, Kelly told me that my tones were so bleak, they seemed to have turned the air to ice. But Venket's shudder was different somehow – it was as if she … of course! She had probably been threatened against telling anyone about it! All the while, Venket was clinging to me so tightly I knew I would have bruises in the morning. Those last words of mine had brought forth a further paroxysm of crying. But no coherent words.

It took quite some time for it all to settle down again. Em took on my cuddling duties; she led poor Venket out and into another room to comfort her there. The other girls had been considerably shocked so it was quite an effort to get focussed once more, but I drove them to it. Fortunately, the diners for tonight had not ordered a large variation so the work was, comparatively speaking, quite simple for a change.

I made sure that 'twas Kelly who allocated all the tasks, not just because she needed to be seen to be the leader but also because part of my mind was working on what I was going to say to my father. For I was very annoyed with him. Very, very, very annoyed.

Once the work routines had settled us down sufficiently for her to assess what was still required, Kelly looked at me and gently nodded towards the door for she knew I needed to go. She signed that she had everything in hand, and that they could cope with the rest of the tasks. I got, though, a flavour that she wanted me to go. Somehow, I got the impression that the others did too. Despite the problems with Venket, it was almost as if they were all waiting with anticipation for me to do whatever my pakh-headed father had wanted.

But there was also an undertone there of worry. I just simply assumed that they were worried about poor little Venket. Kelly had mouthed the words 'Shuttle Shed' to me; I only later wondered how she knew where I had to go. So it was that I walked out of the front door, waving a farewell to Kassama who was coming down the stairs as I did so.

I closed the door gently behind me, stood on the wooden walkway, the pavement, that lined the street and just looked about me.

My eyes were those of a stranger, even though I had lived here all my life. I was shocked to the very core that there existed in my hometown such dark deeds that a poor young girl should react as Venket had. The people here had changed, the buildings around were not the same as the ones with which I had grown up, now most of them had been painted, even the streets were different, and there were more of them. I no longer knew most of the faces that passed by. It was a lot noisier, I suddenly realised. And there was such an air of hecticity.

For a heartbeat, I wondered if I had been transported somewhere else entirely.

A pair of strangers, females, came bustling down the pavement, intent upon whatever task they had in mind. I pulled back slightly, pressing my back against Em's front wall, giving them as much room as I could.

“Don't just stand there in the way girl! Make room for your elders and betters. We have an important task to perform. We don't have time to lounge around all day, unlike some.”

“Nor I, Mistresses. Nor I!”

“Don't be cheeky, Missy! I'll give you a clip round the ear.”

“You are welcome to try, Mistress. And if you do, I shall have you arrested for assault.”

“What?” she screeched. “Just who do you think you are?” She turned to her companion. “I sometimes regret we ever came up here. Young girls like this should be aware that they should show respect to their elders! Oh! Maybe she is a whore?”

“Respect is earned, not given!” I retorted sharply. With that, I just looked her up and down, levered myself off the wall with my shoulder and started walking upslope along the wooden walkway, not wishing to give them any more attention; and certainly not give them any more of my own precious time.

“Come back here, you insolent wench!”

Continuing to ignore her, I left them without a backward glance. They seemed intent upon making more and more of a spectacle of themselves, arguing louder and louder about whether or not to chase after me, which event would give the lie to their original statement of being in a necessary hurry. They were too stupid to even realise that, I deemed.

The incident had not improved my mood at all. I stomped up the slope to what used to be called the Camping Place.

Where I pulled up abruptly.

The Cistern was no longer the Cistern I grew up with. The roof, of course, still sprouted the semaphore tower, but the edge of the roof was completely fenced, either with walls, or with an open-weave wooden fencing, through which I could see several animals, apparently grazing. Which seemed impossible since a week ago the roof had been of stone.

To the right as I looked at the Cistern, the path we had used to use to scramble upwards was completely dug away; even the stonework where the aqueduct had come in was gone, as there was no aqueduct any longer. A dark mark on the side of the Cistern showed where it used to enter.

Foundations had been cleared and laid for a wide building all along the Cistern's front. Materials were being delivered from two carts, each drawn by a frayen. My mood lightened slightly as I watched the two frayen snicker and whiffle together, obviously both in a good mood. They were almost frolicsome as they faced each other. At least someone was having a good afternoon.

The neat rows of tents had all gone and a wooden structure was half-built in the middle of where they had been. A light fence had been erected, forming what was clearly a defining line for the roadway, and enclosing the north and east ends of what I had to keep reminding myself was now called the Market Place. My eyes scanned along the southern edge of the former Camping Place, beneath the Shuttle Shed and I saw that the foundations were being laid of a building that filled the gap between the Dam Road and East Street, being the north-west corner of what I still referred to in my head as being Jafferkin Park, the first dedicated open area to be turned into such an amenity.

I decided that Papa could wait a little longer, as he was still far from being in my good books right then. So I walked up to the Cistern, as closely as I was allowed to that is. Then I walked along the north edge of the Market Place and then the east one to look at the old Camping Ground from that side. There were more foundations for another large building there, one that I could see was going to be quite grand. And the markings on the ground behind it, where most of the old aqueduct had already been removed, showed that the stabling associated with it would be extensive. I wondered what this would be used for. Public stabling on top of the Cistern, and extensive stabling here. It didn't make sense. It looked to me like they were even digging away some of the mountain slope behind to make the area bigger still.

My mind was worrying at this mystery as I walked round the perimeter, and the mystery deepened. The northern edge of Dam Road was also fenced off, making it seem like that was also a part of this large complex. I could imagine nothing that would fit with my observations so I assumed that there were other works not yet laid out. That there would be other subdivisions of the large area to be worked on in the near future.

By now, I had worked my way down to the Dam Road, which was still busy with traffic in either direction. I scurried across the road and looked at the foundations for the house I had seen earlier. This house, whatever it was to be, was the only house inside the entire park perimeter.

The west wall of the house formed the east side of East Street, offset by a stride or two, and it joined the north wall at a square angle. This north wall ran straight along the length to the point where the Dam Road came in. It was slightly less than a cast long, I estimated. Normally, I would have expected the east wall to run down from that point parallel to the west wall, but this was not so. Curiously, it ran off parallel to the edge of Dam Road! This meant that the south wall would have to be so much longer than the north wall. But when I studied it, I had yet another surprise. That south wall was curved! Or, to be more accurate, it was to be curved, for only the lines were at that moment marked. And there were four or five parallel curved line markings. Curiouser and curiouser.

I scurried quickly across East Street and approached the Shuttle Shed, almost smiling as I saw Papa and Pocular there, looking the other way to try and spot me. But I was still annoyed with him. Maybe even with them, but I knew not what Pocular had to do with him.

Suddenly, I stopped. Pocular and Papa. They were acting together in the matter of the Exclusivity Licence on the hand mirrors and the beam lanterns. Could this visitation be something to do with that? Maybe there was no more coin to come from there? Maybe I should hold back for a little while on my spending.

I rapidly went over in my head all that I had spent recently, and the numbers that I had been shown as being in my ledger. Had I already spent too much? Of course, all my Meglina spending only cost me half, for Epp would also put in that much. And the same for Blackstone Wagons. But that would be Shemel sharing the costs of course. If my mental mathematics were correct, then I still had enough to buy at least one housing plot which all of my financial advisers had strongly suggested I do.

I was brought back to my surroundings, and to the fact that I was unaccompanied, when a passing driver made some ribald remark.

My heart sank yet again. Although I knew the place, it was all changing so rapidly. This town, where I used to be able to run and skip where I wanted, was getting rapidly bigger and yet, at the same time, more restrictive. They may be the streets of my hometown, but was it really still my hometown?

I called towards Papa as I ignored the wagoneer's remarks. Or tried to ignore them.

But then the wagoneer added: “Maker, girly. He must be rich. He's old enough to be your father!”

That was enough. I whirled on the driver, fixing his face in my mind for I would make sure I found out who he was, and sharply retorted: “He IS my father, you ked! You want to tell him what you have just been saying? I will be doing so right now - and I will be telling Mistress Sukhana, by the way!”

Just then, a driver passed going in the opposite direction. He called out to me as well: “Well met, Mistress Julina! Are you well?”

I recognised him, mostly from his bulk, from my lessons somewhere. If I remembered rightly, he had been a driver with Her Highness when they first came up here, and had been present at what I had heard was called the 'Battle of South Slip', so he was highly respected amongst his peers.

“Goodman Joolen! How pleasant to see you. Do you perchance know your colleague there going in the other direction?”

“Aye, Mistress, that I do. He has been sent ...”

“Forgive me for interrupting you, but I am short of time. Perchance you could find time later to let him know how to treat the female residents of this, or maybe any, town?”

We both saw the man's neck flush a bright red. Joolen turned his eyes back to me, one eyebrow raised. I made a small grimace, which made Joolen's mouth tighten.

“If he has been disrespectful, then I shall make sure he regrets it!” he said loud enough for the other to hear.

“Thank you, Goodman. Nothing TOO painful, I hope. Have a good evening!”

“And you Mistress Julina.”

We both looked at the retreating driver, who seemed to be trying to squirm into his chair, making himself as small as he could.

“Julina! We have attended you for some while!”

I turned my attention to Pocular, for Papa had wisely let him start the talking. “Master Pocular,” I said formally – which made his eyes widen, for we were not any more, usually, in a formal relationship. It was only then, I deem, that he realised just how angry I was.

And only then, I further deem, that Papa himself did too.

He held his arms out for a hug, but I stood still, hands on my hips, one foot seemingly tapping the ground all on its own. I glared at him.

“Julina! I had no idea that poor girl would be so scared. I wanted to comfort her but Kellonika bundled us away.”

“I too had no idea, but that is scarce the point. As she was obviously distressed by loud and overbearing men, then there would have been no comfort you could have given her. That much was immediately obvious to all the rest of us!”

“Then why are you so angry? 'Tis not as if it were my fault.”

“Of course it was your fault, you stupid man! What on Anmar did you think you were doing? Coming into my place of work, my restaurant, my working team and shouting at me like that? Behaving as if I were a young girl, undermining my authority in front of my workers, all for some stupid joke? There are times when you just do not think.”

“But I did ...”

“I don't care what you did or did not do. You came into MY working space uninvited and acted as if you owned the place. You would not allow ME to do the same to YOUR workplace, if you had one. What right do you have to raise your voice to me in someone else entirely's house, in someone else entirely's kitchen? How dare you?”

“I thought ...”

“Thought? Thought? Don't make me laugh. When did you ever think about even the smallest part of all this? What process went through your head that a decision was taken that it would be a good idea to shout at your daughter publicly? And in such a scary way that another young woman was reduced to a terrified mess, with tears streaming down her cheeks? Yes, explain that to me, if you would. What THOUGHT went through that obviously reduced-sized brain you have behind that thick bone of your head? Sometimes you are such a pakh-head you wouldn't even realise that a ked is simply an abbreviation for that!”

“Mistress Julina?”

I swung round. “Master Pocular?”

“I agree that we handled it not in the best way, as it transpired. HOWEVER ...” he raised a hand and his voice to prevent me interrupting again. “... we were not entirely irresponsible. Had that poor child not been there, I deem we would have had another outcome.

“For that child was not present when we went into your kitchen the other day and arranged it all. Your team and your kitchen owner all agreed that we could play a trick upon you. I deem they were all actually looking forward to it.”

My mind flashed to the repeated occasions since I got back when other people had seemed to know something I didn't. Was that what all this had been about? And Papa and Pocular had been in before to set this stupid playacting up ...

Pocular continued, interrupting my thoughts by doing so: “We attempted to do just that, and yet only managed to upset that poor child, about which we are both torn with regrets.

“However, we must get on with that which we have to do.

“I am here because your father and I have a surprise for you, one that was going to be a pleasure to give. Were this not so important, I would even now be trying to trace the animal that has terrified that lassie – and making sure he became as terrified in his turn.

“However, for reasons that will eventually become apparent, I deemed it to be most important to be here, now. Not only that, but I have an enormous workload which I also should be addressing. But no, being here is more important. I regret, however, that nearly all the anticipated pleasure in this task has now been sucked out of it, and, I find I must point out, your attitude is making a good attempt at sucking out all the scarce remaining pleasure.”

His voice modified once more, and began to repeat its more normal effects upon my insides. I suspect he was using that deliberately, but nevertheless it was working. And my ire was waning with nearly every fact he revealed.

“Now, we both acknowledge you have some fairness upon your side, given your ignorance of the facts, and that the entire incident turned into a little bit of a disaster, however, we HAVE to get this done now. It cannot wait until the morrow, as you shall find out. I deem your father is also upset that you had insufficient faith in him for our little game to be played out. Nevertheless, all that is done now. You have voiced your displeasure, we have expressed our sorrow ...” I glanced rapidly at Papa who had so far done no such thing “... and we accept we could have handled it better.

“May we now return to our attempts at thanking you?”

I felt as though I had had a bucket of cold water thrown over me. I fought back a sudden attack of the tears. I motioned to Papa to go ahead.

Did I over-react? Was I being unfair? Had I been too hard on Papa, and maybe Pocular? And what on Anmar was the story behind Venket's reaction? What must the girls think of my reaction to all the fuss? It doesn't stop the fact that Papa's idea of being some overbearing authority was stupid in the first place. There must be a million better ways to have done it. And what about ...

Papa's ungentle hand on my upper arm dragged me back from the approach of a laden wagon heading for the mouth of East Street. I hadn't been paying attention to my surroundings. It jolted me back into some sort of sense.

“Come daughter, let us give you some more background information first.”

As soon as the wagon had passed, we three strode over to the newly-started wooden structure in the middle of the Market Place. Being only half built, it reminded me quite strongly of the early days of the Shuttle Shed. But instead of two long flanking platforms between which the shuttle wagons could run, there was here a quite large wooden floor piece, a square of about seven maybe eight strides I would estimate. That had been completed because another, but smaller, square was on top of it, creating a step up. And a third was being constructed, even as we looked on, on top of the second.

Pocular addressed the men making it: “Good afternoon, Masters and Goodmen. May I be informed just how many stepped up levels to this there shall be?”

The chargehand stood up slowly, both hands to his lower back as he arched it. He groaned lightly before answering, whilst stretching some more: “Good day, Masters, Mistress! This shall be the auction dais, so a pulpit will be built on the top level, which shall be the fifth above ground level. It has been calculated that there shall be room enough for a scribe and his desk and chair, and for the auctioneer and his pulpit. We are keeping the depth of each level the same, meaning the height of each step and also keeping the same distance from the edge to the start of the next step. The top level shall be two strides square and each step shall be two feet deep, from front to back.”

I could see Pocular and Papa doing some rapid calculations in their heads, so I tried some myself. Before I could even start, Pocular said: “So the base is seven strides and a foot square, then?”

The chargehand was visibly impressed: “Indeed Master, exactly so.”

Papa asked: “And the roof overhang?”

“From the centre point, Master, it shall stretch out to allow two rows of stalls, each itself two strides from front to back, and each stall being distanced by two strides from the one in front, or from the pedestal as appropriate. There shall be a foot overhang, because that makes ...”

“Twelve strides in each direction. So this whatever it shall be called shall be a square also, of twenty four strides a side?”

“So is it! Master, you astound me at the speed of your calculations.”

Pocular shrugged. “'Tis easy if you have a clear picture if your head. And your words were excellent to make that clear picture. As this shall be a Market Place, do I assume that there shall be no walls, that the roof shall be supported by those wooden columns?”

“Indeed so, Master.”

I couldn't help myself: “I see you build that dais by making first one level and then by adding another on top of it. Why do you not build a column of the correct height, two strides square, and then butt the other levels up against it, from each side? It seems to me that by building a floor, most of that floor would be forever unused! By building a tower so to speak first, then one or other side could be more easily cleared away, should the space ever be required.”

The three men standing by me all looked at me with their mouths hanging open. The hand of men working on the dais, they too all stopped abruptly. Saws and hammers were stilled, held in mid-strike or mid-stroke. Rather than get annoyed again, for surely that was what should happen if they were all inferring that women could not have an opinion, I suddenly and surprisingly found myself laughing.

But being annoyed at the same time.

Really! I had eight men all frozen and all with the same shocked expression on their faces. That was the amusing part. The fact that a woman had said something, however …...

I bit back my annoyance, aware that I had already amply demonstrated that day a certain short-temperedness. But I did notice that my question was never answered.

“'Twill be called the Auction Shed, Master,” was the only reply.

Papa was wise enough to lead us away at that point. For I discovered, for not the very first time, that I really do object to being ignored.

We crossed the road to the building with the curved wall at the 'back', although that would be the front as far as anyone in that park was concerned. Papa took us to the shortest wall and turned us to observe the Auction Shed once more, a view that was obscured by each wagon that passed, going into or out of Dam Road.

“Suddenly, what has been our Camping Place seems so small. The basic layout for what is referred to as the 'Wedding Inn' has encroached slightly into the old area and it stretches the entire width of the Cistern, indeed is even slightly wider. The Auction Shed, as you can plainly see from here, takes up much space of what is now called the Market Place.

“To our left, there is already a suggestion that the Shuttle Shed is moved, although there is a reasonable argument for it to be transferred entirely down to the Claw, for that is where the wagons overnight nowadays. They come up here, then go down to the Claw for the night, then come back up here before departing the next day.

“His Honour has told us that we must recruit quite heavily to expand the size of our guard force, and he and the Assembly have reserved that space to our right, the entire east side of the Market Place, and on down the Dam Road for more than several strides. It has been allocated to a barracks and associated training grounds. The Parade Ground will once more return to the town's use as soon as the barracks complex is prepared.

“But that is not really our point. We have merely established that this part of town is far from settled as yet.

“But what IS settled is this very part of this very area where we three currently stand.

“You know that the land behind us is to be an open area called a park. There are to be at least three of these parks within the town, areas upon which no buildings shall be allowed. One of the three is to be named after your suggestion, 'Lina, Jafferkin Park, but 'tis to be the one round the Community Hall, not the park here.

“This park shall have only the one building on it ... in it. Or however you wish to say it. The building shall be here. You can see it has been marked out. The short wall where we currently stand shall look out over the Market Place. The curved wall on the opposite side shall be a terraced area with steps down to the grassy area of the park itself. I make no apology for repeating that this is the only building in the entire park, for it is of the utmost relevance.

“And now, 'tis time for Pocular to explain some more.”

“Julina, I first met you and your father many weeks ago now. In those months and weeks, I am honoured to report, we have become friends. Thanks to your wonderful idea, your father and I actually have no need ever to work again in our lives if we so desire.”

I gasped as I took in his words. My eyes darted between the two of them as they nodded in agreement.

“Why?” he said rhetorically, “I imagine that you may well be wondering just that. Well, the answer is most simple. Whilst you were away, the Valley Messenger Service delivered a message to me, to us.”

He paused then, took a deep breath, he even gulped a little before continuing: “The rights for both the Hand Mirror and the Beam Lantern have been granted to all our neighbouring countries, who have also agreed to pay our design fees for the next two years. We have already made small fortunes from the sales just within North Palarand. Now we are receiving fees from the rest of Palarand AND its neighbours! Suddenly our 'market place' for these goods is ten times as great, maybe even more than ten times.”

My eyes could not have got any wider.

“Without you, we would not be in this happy position today, so we have petitioned the Assembly, and they have granted such petition, and we are delighted to say that you are now standing inside YOUR building. This was announced to the town generally some two days ago. Which is why your colleagues already know this.”

I lied to you. My eyes got even wider.

“Kordulen and I have purchased this exclusive building plot for you and it is now in your name. YOU are the possessor of the most exclusive address in Blackstone Town. It is our gift to you. Our way of thanking you. Please be aware that it does not mean that we shall withhold any future payments of coin, but this building is merely a token of our great appreciation. It is, I assure you, yours and you shall equip it for your Consociation at our expense. Whatever you need. Your plot, your building, your equipment, your decoration – our coin. The building has been named the Market Point Mansion.”

I looked at the two men, thoroughly overcome with shock.

And yes, even I, never exactly known for my silence, found myself utterly speechless.

… … …

“... she shall sleep this night in my room with me.”

I looked at Venket and she nodded to confirm Kassama's words. I had studied her closely upon my return, not trying to be subtle about it for that would achieve nothing. She was aware that we were all aware and I thus felt that she would be better served to know that we still accepted her and would indeed help her as much as we may. But my maternal instincts were telling me that Venket was worried about spending the night with a relative stranger. There was something more there, my feelings were telling me.

Naturally, things had settled down to a certain extent whilst I had been off with Papa and Pocular. I had somewhat dazedly returned and met Em before announcing myself once more in the kitchens.

This was an Em that I had never seen before, never as controlled and yet as simultaneously incandescent as she was now: “Her Father, 'Lina. Her actual FATHER! Mistress Lendra shall be informed as soon as we may. I have sent an urchin for her. She, Lendra that is, told us the mother was ill and could no longer walk properly. Venket tells us now that 'twas because the father beat the mother so severely, her leg was fractured in several places. But he denied her any healer's help, forcing her to continue with her chores. And he started turning his temper and demands upon his young daughter.”

“So my father's ill-advised bursting in with demands and authoritarianism set her off, probably because she thought she was safer when she was here?”

“Yes and no. Certainly she was always glad to come here, and to stay as late as possible - for that way, by the time she regained her home, the man would be snoring. But she also felt bad about that for then her poor mother had no-one to divert his attentions from her. Also, her father took all her coin from working here claiming it as his right. But it appears that what really tipped the balance was a phrase your father unfortunately used. For her own father announces something bad with the words: ' You shall be punished!'

“She heard those words from Kordulen and her world fell apart. For she looks up to you 'Lina, and suddenly she found that you too are a victim of a bullying father. It told her that all girls are. And that there is no hope for the future to become any better.

“Had it not been for her reaction, we would all have been laughing, for we knew what your father was going to do, but Venket was not present when he came in to see if we were in agreement. We were all so looking forward to the practical joke. The whole town knows about you being presented with the Market Point Mansion but none were allowed to tell you until your father and Master Pocular had done the actual deed.

“But Venket's reaction meant that we could not laugh. We explained to her it was meant to be a joke, but her faith has been severely shaken. We explained that your father was trying to be the opposite of that which he normally is and that he thought such a playacting would clue you in to the fact that this was not serious. I deem her reaction clouded your judgement at that instant.”

I could but nod in agreement as I asked: “What measures are taken against the father?”

“Vittima has been informed, and Fedren and Suril have gone to pay a visit. They hope to interview the mother before the father gets home, and then to arrest him if they find grounds so to do.”

“And poor Venket's future?”

“In the short term, if the man proves guilty, then she and the mother shall start again in a new dwelling. There are daily two or three hands of new builds, so 'twill not be difficult to find somewhere else entirely that they might start again with fewest bad memories.”

“Then we have time to arrange something, I deem. I must speak with her. And do so in front of the others.”

So it was I returned to the kitchen, gathered all of them together, even though they were yet behind schedule, and put my arms out for a group hug. It took a little while, but soon we were all as close as we could be. Gyth had returned by then, so the entire team was present, Kords and Kassama as well. Em came in with me and was a welcome observer.

“I would like to remind you all,” I started, “that we are the most successful team in the history of Blackstone, one that has gained a reputation for excellence and has also gained immense respect. I may have had the idea, after Em first mentioned the possibility and provided the venue, and I may have recruited the original band of us, a band that built this up much to what it is today.

“That band, however, is no longer together and the replacements have been carefully chosen. Not everyone was deemed to be good enough, but YOU were. Let's not forget that we are a team, nay, we are THE team. Ever achieving more and more. Every single one of you, even those most recently joined, are an important part of that team, and worthy of that respect, and worthy of that success. We are entering a period of more intense work, and I, along with Kelly, will be searching for more team members. This is no reflection upon any dissatisfaction with your performances, indeed I and Kelly could not be happier in that respect.

“And each and every team member ...” here I stared deliberately at Venket the longest, “... shall receive the unconditional and unstinting help from every other member. That's what makes us great. I like to think that we are a family away from home. We have today learnt that one of our members needs our help, so we will all be providing her with that, as we can. Venket, I see you are still shaky, and I promise you I have told my father off – it was meant as a joke, but your reaction was completely unforeseen. He desperately wishes to apologise to you, and will do so as soon as you feel able to talk with him.

“Now Em here has despatched people to make sure that your mother shall be safe and looked after, and gets whatever treatment she might need ...” I broke off suddenly for Venket had paled at those words and looked worried again, on the verge of tears again.

I forced myself back into giving them my message: “I myself have something else to do, again, but I shall come back later and be with you for as long as I can. So we have to find somewhere for Venket to sleep, first for right now, but also for the near future. None of us will allow you to be exposed to such a bullying man ever again.”

'Twas then that Kassama told us that Venket could share Kassama's room that night.

“Very well,” I said as we relaxed from the group hug, “and I shall make sure I find some other solution for tomorrow, if possible. Do you wish to rest from working this evening?”

She shook her head, but said nothing. I could see some more tears trembling on her lids.

“Now then all, whilst we are all together, there is more information to impart. As you are aware, I have only today returned from a brief trip down to Tranidor, and whilst I was away I have accumulated several more responsibilities, so my time spent here shall have to be reduced from now on.”

There were some gasps of surprise and some worried looks, so I rushed to reassure them: “But I will not be stopping completely. I will probably have far busier mornings then before, and will therefore not be able to put in the same amount of time every evening! Some evenings certainly, but not EVERY one.”

The worried looks indeed faded. I went on: “So I want you all to work just as hard for Kelly as you have for me. Kelly is now the team leader here, and I am merely one of her workers, and only part-time as well. Indeed, as I said, I have to go out again for a bell or more this evening, so Kelly starts her reign as of right now.”

I paused to let them say if they had any objections, but there were done. During this, I looked over to Gyth, asking her the open question between us with my eyes. Her eyes answered so I could continue speaking with scarce a break: “And one of those other responsibilities, well two actually, mean that I must send Gythy and her mother downvalley for at least two weeks, maybe as long as a month. She shall depart on the day after the Royal Party arrives. At least that way she shall get to see Her Highness.”

“Finally, I must try to thank you all for attempting to make my surprise more notable. A number of people have all made mention of the Consociation since I got back, after weeks of silence about it, so I sort of guessed something was up. But I would never, in a million years, have guessed what it was.

“To have been given that honour by the town and by my father and Master Pocular quite shocked me, I can tell you. So now I would like to get YOUR ideas on how the Consociation is to function. The idea is to promote excellence in the catering trade, to start a sort of Caterers Guild – would you all be so kind as to let me have your thoughts, say in a week's time? How do we teach cooking? What topics should we teach? Any and all aspects of what a person would require to gain a Certificate of Excellence. How many ranges should be available for the cooks to use at the same time? Anything, any little thing, you can think of. I need my trusted fellow team members to advise me. And I thank you all in advance.”

They all, even Venket, congratulated me on this further step to be taken. Dear Venket tried to apologise for spoiling the surprise but none of us would let her. There was some noisy reassurance for her.

I quietly whispered into one ear: “And, Gyth, there's another building to design, for there is only a ground level outline at the moment. Cooking school building. Called, apparently, the Market Point Mansion.”

I turned to Kelly and spoke up: “So Kelly, dear, are we going to do much more to get prepared for all the meals tonight we have had bookings for?”

She started allocating tasks, making full allowance for my next period of absence.

… … …

I went up Main Street first to see if I could find Pyor, hoping he was at Trokos' place. I crossed the street immediately as there was a convenient gap in the traffic and walked passed Uncle's place, pausing so I could peer in from the entrance. There was a weird sort of quiet in there, and I realised that even more of his activities must have been moved to the other side of the Valley, to the Artisans' Area or whatever this week's name for it was to be. I suddenly realised that maybe Trokos had also moved his business over there too, and mayhap the two wheelwrights weren't so easily obtainab …

A wender system! From here to the Artisans'! Of course! That would bring a closer contact and make life easier in general. And 'twould be more frequent early in the mornings and in the evenings of course, to bring workers there and back. Oh maybe at noonish too, for them to get back fo …

Meals! Maybe a restaurant over there somewhere. At the foot of the Stone Sea road maybe? I need to find out what current practices are. Do they all take lunch packs with them? Would a restaurant even be welcome? Could it be profitable? What sort of food?

By that time I had reached Trokos' and was relieved to find both the Masters there. My original purpose was to get Pyor and fetch him down first to the Claw and then across to where Jaffy's wagon was parked. But now, after that recent flash of an idea, I could also talk with Trokos, principally about finding say a hand of small wagons and the beasts to pull them.

As it transpired, I left there in the company of both men, richer with the knowledge that Pyor had brought up from Tranidor a supply of the paints used for Blackstone Wagons, but poorer by quite some coin - promised coin of course, for I had insufficient upon me to come anywhere near to the agreed amount.

This was simply because I had just purchased that hand of small wagons; Trokos had actually had them there gathering dust in his workshop. He, it turned out, had a supply of them since everyone had recently been concentrating on large wagons for long-distance loads. He had eight such smaller wagons that no-one seemed to want and which he had taken as part payments for larger ones. We three walked back down Main Street, Pyor and I both re-iterating that I was good for the coin promised, and Trokos re-iterating that he trusted us, based upon my reputation, and that of my father. And in the interests of forging close business ties between us.

He was happy, I was happy and I deem Pyor was too. He and I were both humming with a suppressed other motive as well, for I just knew he wanted to see if this last wagon of Jaffy's was the same as the other ones – as, of course, did I!

I was happy since all that was missing from my latest Blackstone Wagons ideas were the drivers and the animals. But Trokos had some useful contacts, and also, I knew, so would Sookie and Goodman Mutab, therefore I was sure that we would be able to bridge those difficulties soon, even if not immediately.

Both my companions were a little shocked when I dragged them first into the Steward's house with me. As was not unexpected, Mistress Donet said she would take a message to him. We had to wait and sat upon the chairs provided for such. After about only five or six moments, His Honour came out to us.

“Mistress Julina,” he began, his sharp eyes having seen immediately that I was there with a stranger, so he used the formal way of addressing me, “and Master Trokos, good morrow. And this is?”

“This is Master Pyor, Your Honour. He has been appointed the Blackstone Wagons' wheelwright down in Brayview and is here to meet Master Trokos and to see our beautiful town before he becomes buried in the gloom of his workshop downvalley.” My laugh was matched by the Captain's.

Pyor's eyebrows rose slightly at the obvious familiarity between His Honour and myself. I suspect Master Trokos was a bit surprised too, ever so slightly.

“Very pleased to meet you, Master Pyor. I'm glad to see our dynamic young Mistress has also found a youngster for her enterprise. But just looking at the two of you makes me feel old. Neither of you seem to be old enough to be counted adults!”

“Your Honour, Master Pyor's father, Goodman Quizzen, is also going to be our depot manager, and part-time driver, based down at Brayview, where we have a small wagon positioned already and a dranakh named Zayring, ready for commissions down there. There shall be a large wagon based there too, very soon.

“But it is in fact a question of wagon size that has brought me to you. You asked for a wagon on the morrow. I need simply to know three things.”

I raised three fingers of my left hand, and folded them down as each point was raised: “Size, place and time. We have up here now two large wagons and one small. One of the large ones is still to be painted, by Master Trokos here, and the … nay, hold. We have THREE large wagons up here now, for Jafferkin's other is already here. But I have but two drivers in effect. One, Goodman Kulyer shall also act as my Arranger, in fact he shall share an office with Sook .. Mistress Sukhana's Arranger, Goodman Mutab.”

“Maker! Or, as I believe I have heard the term 'Balth!' used by our wagoneering profession. You HAVE been busy since your return!”

The two with me burst out into a peal of genuine laughter, both visibly impressed that the Steward knew some traveller's swear-words.

“And have you enough beasts?”

“Goodman Kulyer came north with his wagon and his dranakh Roogen, now of course both are of Blackstone Wagons. Goodman Rabeez came with our wagon and dranakh, Hedda. He is our other driver. I have a dranakh, Josten, who used to be Jaffy's. I believe that Josten is also associated with another dranakh from the Trogan days, Taneesa. She is close to Epp, er Mistress Megrozen. So I deem we have enough beasts, but only for the moment.”

“Very well; let me see, to answer your three questions; a large wagon I deem, just in case, 2nd Bell, here.”

“Thank you, Your Honour. I shall so inform Goodman Rabeez.”

“Not your Goodman Kulyer? That surprises me a trifle! I would have supposed that your senior man would do the very first commission.”

“No, Your Honour. He will be far too busy for I have just purchased a hand of smaller wagons from Master Trokos here, and we shall need beasts and drivers for them. Kulyer will have to start finding them.”

“So many, already! Do you have such great plans, then?”

“Your Honour, I need to tell you about wenders, and about a special form of them called bacs. ...”

… … …

“... so you see, Sookie, already I am practically out of my depth! But His Honour has granted us the same rights here for wenders and bacs as we have down in Tranidor. I am sure that Master Rohid would be more than willing to send you any advice and ideas.”

“Maker!”

“Or do you mean Balth!?”

“Well I suppose I could have said that. Whence on Anmar did you gather that word then?”

“From the Captain of all people.” A thought suddenly struck me. “I hope that's not a rude word a woman should not use?”

“Kallisthena, no!”

“Kallie what?”

The others all laughed at my confusion.

Pyor said: “We have at least one word we use for exclamations that begins with each consonant of the letterset. Balth. Davikto. Kallisthena. And on and on and on. All are used by all. Though, as you guessed, there ARE some that are rude and used only by men. So I cannot, of course, tell you about those ones!”

Sookie made us all roar with laughter when she said: “Don't worry 'Lina, I'll tell you THOSE ones when they're gone.”

By then the four of us had reached Jaffy's 'abandoned' wagon. We were about to clamber all over it, when two men came rushing, as fast as they could walk, to the gate to the paddock.

“Hey there,” I called, “well met! Mompik and Zarda, right? But I forget your ranks, I regret.”

“Well met Mistress Julina, Mistress Sukhana, and er … Masters. We are File Leaders,” they laughed, “although without real files at the present. Recruitment is slow.”

I did the quick introductions, for these two were obviously in a great hurry. They would not tell us what they were up to, stating simply “The Captain's orders”. They gathered their frayen and led them back to the Claw. Sookie accompanied them, calling back to me: “I shall let Rabeez know his timetable for the morrow, and Kulyer the wender and bac news.”

“Thank you!”

So, that left just three of us with the last of 'my' wagons.

Well four actually, because just then Josten arrived. Pyor opened the gate to let him into the paddock, carefully closing the gate after him lest any of the other beasts made off.

The men scrambled quickly all over the wagon and soon declared it capable of being taken up to Trokos' workshop. At one point Pyor looked at me when Trokos was underneath checking the axles or somesuch. With eye speak, we agreed not to mention the secret compartments on the chair while Trokos was around. At least the secret compartments we only assumed would be there.

Rootling around in the belly, the men found a harness that had been neatly stashed there and they went forward to attach it to the yokes. I ran my finger lightly along the edge of the chair and indeed found one of the tiny latch buttons. I ran my finger over it again, just to check you will understand, but this time I must have been pressing a little harder for it sprang up unexpectedly, with quite a loud click. My eyes jerked to Trokos whose head was just beginning to turn.

I leaned across to hide the secret compartment from view by pretending to be wiping something further away. My other hand scooped out the contents and I dropped them into one of my pockets, with a rattle that they both heard. My elbow had closed the lid out of their sight, so I had no choice but to thrust my hand into that pocket and deliberately rattle the coins about, trying to pretend that I was trying to prevent any spillage from the pocket as I stretched across the chair.

By that time, Josten was sniffling, waiting to wear the harness and to back in between the yokes. That made both men turn to him and gave me time to step back, saying something trivial like: “I can't reach properly.” I turned my back on them and counted the coin, which, thinking about it later, was exactly what I would have done had I really been afeared that some may have dropped. The total was precisely the same as had been in the other wagons, in that compartment.

I marvelled slightly because Josten seemed to understand what I was doing and made sure the men's attention was on him, so much so that I had time to do some more. I went round and indeed managed to empty all the six compartments unnoticed, this time being far more quiet about it. Exactly as before, exactly the same amounts in exactly the same configuration.

The unaccustomed weight was making the waistband of my skirt dig into the tops of my hips, a feeling with which I was totally unfamiliar. I kept my hand tightly around a single Crown coin. As soon as the men professed themselves ready, and Josten took up the strain, I managed to slip that coin into Pyor's grasp. He knew immediately what it was and tried to refuse it. All being done silently, of course.

“Masters,” I said loudly, “without you here, I would never have learnt so many things that would have forever remained a secret. I must thank you both profusely.”

Pyor suddenly realised the full meaning behind my words. At last he stopped protesting.

But then he said something that took us other two by surprise: “Right then Mistress Julina, take the reins, for you shall drive us up to Master Trokos' workshop! I shall do the gatework, and Trokos, you sit with Mistress Julina. As you have gathered, the dranakh is closely keyed to her, so I fear little shall occur in such a short journey.”

As if to confirm his words, Josten swung his big head round to look at me. I convinced myself that he told me he would look after me, but that, of course, would be impossible.

So it was that I became the first female wagoneer ever seen in Blackstone. And yes - it did cause a stir!

… … …

“... and so I have that other house to be designed, Gyth, m'dear. If you could have a look at it on the morrow and we shall meet in the Claw to discuss it? Half a bell before the noon announcement?”

I was back in the Salon kitchens to offer what help I could. But we, well I, had barely started again when Swayga came in.

“Julina, your father told me you would be here or down in the Claw, so I guessed right for my first attempt. Which of you girls is Venket?”

Timid little Venket just half stuck up a hand, but Swayga saw it.

“My man is a loving, caring, respectful man, one who has been an exemplary father to Julina, Kordulet, Kordulissa, Jululet, Kordulkin and Korden. He presents his most sincere compliments and abject apologies to you. He was attempting, as I'm sure has been explained already, to play a joke upon his eldest daughter, and tried to act out of character in order to underline that joke.

“The fact that he chose to portray a character as opposite to his norm as he could imagine and that that pretend character was a personality that would so terrify you, was something that was totally unforeseen and is totally regrettable. He appreciates, now, that you are scared of men for whatever reasons and has sent me to find out what he would be allowed to do to make you feel better about him.”

She turned and singled me out then: “And also to find out if this woman here intends to return to her home at any time today? When should I prepare a bath for her? A meal perchance? It is already dusk, and the rest of the family shall have eaten by the time I get back. So Julina, have you any intention of seeing them before the little 'uns get to bed?”

“Oh Swayga, I must work here a little longer, for I have already caused some delays. I shall find my way home in a bell or so.”

“Julina, you have done much today, four bells in the saddle before putting in what has amounted to a full day's work since you arrived. You must be exhausted, dear, and with the emotion of discovering your first surprise, and I hear you have been in the company of the wheelwrights and have had meetings with His Honour and with Mistress Sukhana. Not to mention driving a wagon up Main Street. How could you not be exhausted?”

The others all rounded on me, saying: “Driving a wagon? You never said ...”

… … …

I sank into the blissful warmth of a bath. A bath in my own home.

… … …

I sank into the blissful warmth of a soft bed with generous covers. My own soft bed in my own home.


up
176 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Julina's world is changing so rapidly

Her home town is starting to become unrecognizable the poor dear. With any luck, really tall buildings will never have a place in Blackstone town as, frankly, it would ruin such an atmosphere.

The worst is the uncouth and less than 'classy' people. And that wagoneer's neck turning 'red' indeed. Redneck, how appropriate.

I think the next project will be to buy a nice big plot and turn it into a womens shelter. Better yet, have the town pay for it.

So sad to see Venket being

So sad to see Venket being hit and slammed around by her father, plus having to see her own mother being treated just as badly, and to the point of physically being made disabled. I hope he is found and gets the punishment and justice meted out to him that he so rightly deserves.
Speaking of justice, I hope Julina runs into the two very snooty and obnoxious women again, and this time she is in the company of someone who can assist her in putting the two in their place.
People who act like they did to her and do act that way to others, have no business being out in public at all, let along around other people who should not have to be inflicted with their intolerance and sheer stupidity.

Putting them in their place.

Yes that would be nice of course but it takes a lot to change such stupid people and one lesson will not do it.

Point is, they come into HER town and start judging folks by their own standards. They behave no better than your typical high school bully girl type.

I do declare

Sav Sara's picture

Julia honey, I was all in a tizzy thinking y'all had made a mistake in your title here, and wrote a note to let y'all know about it. And then I truly realised just how good of a title it truly is.
I sort of got to the line in the Beatles tune just as I was writing you, after seeing the tune in the 'Influences' list.
Y'all kinda sneaky, ain't y'all?

Ain't that the berries?

Savannah

a spicy idea

Sav this mostly belongs here due to your spicy comments.

The decommissioned mill could be converted to a spice mill for spices made to Julina's high standards.

Blackstone Wagons in SEE

So, it looks like Tanon remains the big wheel of transport, despite not using wheels anymore :) in SEE.

Did he swallow up all his competitors, including Blackstone Wagons?

At least within Blackstone, she will have the whole Wenders and Bacs market to herself as she will hardly license the idea to competitors.

Tanon is long distance...

Tanon is long distance transport & BW is local with a contract to meet local government needs first. In addition to passenger and freight wagons, BW is likely to end up with specialized wagons like early forms of ambulances, fire trucks or oversize capable wagons.

Julina is likely to have many spin-off companies as the transportation industry becomes specialized.

In the SEE, Tanon is likely to be a major long distance freight carrier and a major freight forwarder.

I am amazed that these coins are still undiscovered

In retrospect, one would think Jaffy's wagon's secret would have already been discovered by the simple fact if it moved, the shifting coins would make noise that would be investigated, unless the compartments were well muffled and of such small size that there is no shifting.

Or that Jaffy's wagon has not been moved since his death.

Jaffy's wagon did move ...

Sav Sara's picture

Sukhana told us that - she said she had to make room in case the Royals had a lot of vehicles. I am fairly sure that the idea of the secret compartments included some noise dampening stuff, that would surely be basic security?

No doubt Julia will inform us in the fullness of time.

Savannah

A constant refrain of mine

Practical jokes are NOT funny! Many times by the ignorant recipient*, but how often is there collateral damage that goes unreported and thus unrepaired? What it boils down to is the only humor is that of the jokers, not the victim(s). I believe it was one of Robert Heinlein's characters that suggested the bastenado for practical jokers. For the first offense.

* Many victims consider it a fairly nasty form of bullying.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin