Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2867

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2867
by Angharad

Copyright© 2016 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

This episode is dedicated to all the friends I have at this site and who read my stuff and tell me what's good and bad about it.

I gave another statement to the police. If they bound all of the ones I’d given them over the years they could make a book of them. It seemed ages before they went and the fire brigade hosed down the road to clear the red stuff—the girls will be so disappointed in the morning. Me, as soon as I come to end of the drive I shall see it happen again and again. I was horrified by it at the same time realised I was safer as a consequence of it.

After a dinner of which I ate very little, as did David, who sat down to eat with us, I wondered where Daddy was. Simon suggested the road closure might have caused him some problems. I wasn’t so sure. I tried ringing his mobile but it was switched off. While I waited for him, I remembered the file he’d given me and with a mug of tea went to my study to read whatever there was of it. I’d just opened the manila card envelope, when I spotted an envelope with my name on it. The writing was his, still neat at his age where mine was anything but.

I opened the letter.

‘Dear Catherine,

It feels good to call you that as opposed to the diminutive we all, including yourself, usually use.

If you are reading this, I am in hiding or dead. The information in that file is very important, so guard it well. There are back up copies in my bank if they haven’t got them yet. Whatever you do, do not underestimate your enemy. Even with your almost ‘supernatural’ powers, these men are really dangerous and will kill you if they feel a need.

Once you showed me you were going to follow your principles rather than instructions, I decided to join you and brought together all the information I had amassed about our beloved Vice Chancellor, a man of no scruples and a ruthless self survival strategy. His enormous ego is his weakest part, but be careful, he has friends in high places.

“I wish you well in your battle to defend ethical and honest practice in the teaching of young adults. Integrity is an essential asset, you have it in spades, sadly most of our colleagues either lack it or are afraid to show it for fear of losing their jobs. If only they all showed the same courage the battle would be soon over, but the divide and conquer stratagem has worked really well. Apart from me, you possibly have but one or two supporters. Do not think badly of the rest, they are simply trying to do what they feel is most helpful to their families. Turkeys voting for Christmas comes to mind—this is just the beginning if they but knew it.

If we both survive this latest challenge, then permit me to buy you a drink to thank you. I love you just as dearly as my own child, and all the other lives you’ve enabled me to share as my grandchildren—something I never thought I’d see. Despite your denials, you are an angel—but the demons are out to clip your wings. Take care my dearest daughter but do what is necessary to exorcise their influence from the institution we both love and cherish. Follow your truth and let it lead you to victory.

With deepest love,

Your adopted and doting father,

Thomas Agnew.’

I sipped my tea hoping that the lump in my throat would allow me to swallow. It was still difficult. I wiped my eyes and began to look through the half a dozen or so sheets of paper.

It was dynamite if it could be proven. I sent it by fax to James’ house hoping they hadn’t yet caught him or broken into his home. I also faxed a copy to Henry and asked him to store it somewhere safe for me. Then, using the fax as a photocopier, I put the remaining copies in my super safe place, along with my Lotus biscuits. Seeing them, I took one and then another...well I hadn’t had much dinner and I’d need the carbs because life was going to get just a trifle hectic. I ran off another copy and quickly typed a covering letter to Jason. In the event of my untimely demise, he was to send the attached to the local echo addressed to John Jackson with the urging to publish and be damned.

I called Simon and showed him the file. “If these are true, he’s going to be looking for a new job if ever he gets out of prison.”

“I hope they extradite him to Nigeria, he caused numerous deaths just fatten his own bank account. I’d just love to kick his assets.”

Simon smiled at my joke, “That might be easier than you think.”

“How so?” I asked.

“Once we know where his bank accounts are we can freeze them pending investigation, the same with any investments.”

“Isn’t it likely to be overseas or offshore whatevers?”

“That won’t save him, but evidence that he didn’t pay sufficient tax or VAT would have HMRC very interested in him and they have even more money to play with than I do. They also have quite draconian powers to search properties looking for their dosh. It might not stop him but it will certainly embarrass him and slow him down.”

“Isn’t that just going to make him want to murder me even more?” I could feel my pulse racing, this guy was dangerous, really dangerous.

“Quite possibly, you may need to recruit James to do some protection work for you and I suggest we send the children away.”

“What about Daddy, they might already have killed him? If they do I shall kill O’Connor.”

“Doesn’t make you just as bad as he is. He’s a Vice Chancellor, which in my estimation means he looks after the vice in the university and at the moment it appears there may be more there than at your average bank.

“Like Tom says, you need to fight venality with integrity. Never let them get close enough to damage your wings, my angel, but give them a taste of St Michael’s flaming sword—because, to quote a certain old fashioned sit com, they don’t like it up ’em.”

“James is on the case, I engaged him a few days ago. I’ve sent him a copy of that file, which gives him more leads to follow, though I suspect most of them are either dead or disappeared. But I’m most concerned about the safety of the children.”

“Want to send them somewhere safe until this is over?”

“Not just yet, but we need contingency plans.”

“I’ll arrange for them to go up to Hampstead if needed.”

“I hope that will be far away enough to protect them?”

“If not he’ll move them, dad is very good at hiding his assets and his grandchildren are his most precious ones.”

“I’m really glad to hear that, darling.”

“It’s true.”

“I sent him a copy of the file as well.”

“I suspect that may well already be on its way to Sir George.”

“Our spymaster?”

“The same, the one you brought back from the dead.”

“He wasn’t quite dead.”

“Still had one cell functioning, did he?”

“No, it was two actually.”

“Don’t tell me you’re referring to brain cells and if he’d had three functioning no one would have noticed any difference from normal.”

“You’ve heard it before?” I teased.

“Madam, you are a sexist hussy, but I like you. Let's go to bed and make passionate love."

"A hint of danger turns you on, does it?"

"The ultimate aphrodisiac."

"Funny, it just makes me want to poo, 'scuse me."

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
252 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thanks for all your storytelling

Just a note to say thanks for this brilliant story, I started reading it just before Christmas and have now caught up, I for one love long serial!

Hope you're feeling better tonight.

Jessi

The game's afoot!!

Bike's entered another new exciting phase. I wonder if even our author knows where it leads :)

Thanks Ang. Perhaps this will assuage your critics at the 'other place' but I doubt it. Bike doesn't 'end' but new plot lines have both a beginning and an end and this beginning looks promising.

Robi

Damn! You beat me to that line!

D. Eden's picture

Lol - that was what immediately came to mind upon finishing this.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

The Vice Chancellor is going to find

he has stuck a stick in a hornets nest. He may already have been taken down with Cathy's actions and just doesn't know it yet.

Please keep Bike Going It's wonderful !

Time to go to the mattress' as my cousins say, 'put down the cannoli's and grab the guns'(I paraphrase).
I hope Tom is alright .
Karen

Tolerance is…?

Rhona McCloud's picture

1. Trivial when it comes to accepting Cathy's love of chocolate-deficient Lotus biscuits.
2. Cowardly when it comes to those accepting the VC's demands for a signed non-disclosure clause.
3. Calculating when it comes to this reader’s acceptance of Angharad’s need to sometimes divert her Bike writing energies toward other stories.
4. Heroic in Tom's readiness to support Cathy in her choices from day one of EAFOAB.

Please don't let us lose Tom if you can help it but regardless thank you Angharad for enriching my reading while educating me in the ways of dormice.

Rhona McCloud

Gut punching

Podracer's picture

I really hope that Tom has his head down somewhere..
Simon showing that he isn't all immature bluster, when it really counts - and his love is on the line - he can man up and show his colours.
I read stick in a hornets' nest as something else in a hornets' nest. It's late, I had a little wine at the pub, forgive my mislexia please? The image in my head is castigation enough.

"Reach for the sun."

Oh My!

... to quote from Dorothy.
Thsi could be Cathy's biggest test.
I hope Tom is alive and well. He's a tough old bird, and Cathy already 'felt' he'd live to 92, so that's a good indicator.

Red MacDonald

Tom's Letter Made Me Cry

littlerocksilver's picture

Well, we will see. There's a lot more to this than meets the eye. I'm afraid their communications may be cut off. This is going to get very tense.

Portia

Thank you Angharad,

Thank you Angharad,
For not only this most excellent story serial, in which you have placed, love, sorrow, happiness, joy, pain, suffering and in general lots of different daily living by a certain Cameron family that has kept us all fixated for these many years.
Yet you also honor us with so many other short stories, and one of stories as well. Thank you for dedicating this chapter to us all. It is truly a wonderful gift to receive.
I hope, as I am sure so do so many others that we will be blessed to see daily a new chapter posted on "Bike" for many years to come, although that is your decision as to when it will end. I do hope we see Tom well and back home very soon.
PEACE always,
Janice Lynn

Soooooooo...... It appears we've passed the rubicon again.

D. Eden's picture

Once more unto the breach........

Or to quote one of my more American heroes, "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!"

For those of you on the wrong side of the pond, David Farragut (a flag officer in the U.S. Navy) at the Battle of Mobile Bay, U.S. Civil War. Unfortunately, most of my forefathers fought on the other side of that war - but two of my relatives actually fought for the Union.

So Cathy, remember Farragut, put her nose to the wind and a bone in her teeth. The order is flank speed lee helmsman.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Well!

Christina H's picture

I knew Tom was astute but in this case it seems he was ahead of Cathy I really hope he survives but only Angharad know the outcome.
Simon has really stepped up to the plate these two make quite a formidable duo. (Danger Dormouse and Penfold spring to mind)

Take care with the girls though leverage is easy when the nearest and dearest are threatened. Once again this story is reaching yet another rubicon (one of many)

How you do it Angharad I simply don't know but thanks anyway.

Christina

Cathy, The Accidental Hero

In Muggle life, most of us just blunder into heroic actions; the fates just lining up. Lest the readers forget, Cathy has proven to be absolutely lethal when dealing with the unlawful. Her body count could be close to a dozen criminals. Unless Tom has a hideout very close, he could already be gone. Can't imagine him heading off to Scotland, but if he got there, perhaps he'd have relatives there to hide him. Could he be hiding in the Cameron Castle? Could there be secret rooms there prepared for him? Perhaps he took one of the unused cars from the stable at his place? It is very difficult for me to let go of Tom.

So, their home is well shuttered. Hopefully the police will station a couple of their finest there. It is doubtful that Cathy or the children will be going to school. What about Julie and those who can't just run?

What does it take to get one of the MI outfits interested?

How high do these enemies in high places go? I've been reading about the theory that Johnson likely had a part in the murder of Kennedy.

Sincerely hope that Cathy's vision of Tom's age

is accurate.

... but there must be more since I'd expect him to be home with the family if he's feeling threatened or thinks that they are.

Lets see what Cathy and crew can do with more info to investigate.